Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #1101
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
If you own the game then it isn't. If you are criticizing and voicing displeasure with no real first hand knowledge about what you're saying then how can it be anything else?
I didn't buy the game, and I'm glad I didn't. I have played the demo, and am not impressed at all.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #1102
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
I didn't buy the game, and I'm glad I didn't. I have played the demo, and am not impressed at all.

Duly noted 17 posts ago but I'm so glad you repeated it for those who may have missed it. I'm sure we'll get a better game because you did.

I'm eagerly looking forward to you telling us this same information once again quite soon. It adds so much to the discussion.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #1103
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Duly noted 17 posts ago but I'm so glad you repeated it for those who may have missed it. I'm sure we'll get a better game because you did.

I'm eagerly looking forward to you telling us this same information once again quite soon. It adds so much to the discussion.

Anytime. Of course, the next time you make an important point in this thread, will be your first. So at least you have that going for you.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #1104
MrBug708
Head Coach

Heh. That was kind of lame....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #1105
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale And Eli's Dad
Oh, you've got it all wrong. I'd tell Markus about the problems THEN make the suggestion that if you stopped spending all your time in your parent's basement sitting in your underpants beneath a giant "Lord of the Rings" poster while eating luke warm pizza bites your mom would bring you every ten minutes that you might be able to have a little more perspective on the game.

Not as lame as this.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #1106
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Anytime. Of course, the next time you make an important point in this thread, will be your first. So at least you have that going for you.

Of course, because noting a situation that might be a bug that could use looking at is unimportant but repeatedly saying you won't buy the game is important. Got it. You're only here to bitch, thus doing the only important thing you can do; proving my point.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #1107
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Not as lame as this.

Agreed, but really, when discussing lameness is a scale really needed?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #1108
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Agreed, but really, when discussing lameness is a scale really needed?

I was at Fenway for the rain delay yesterday so I am just now catching up.
Let's say I was living in my mother's basement... wouldn't that make me the core audience for this sort of game?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #1109
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't know guys. Any game that comes out should work like it was advertised. And in that respect this one certainy has some shortcomings, such as waviers and the large number of very good free agents available at the end of the first season and so on.

However, in the league that I set up, I haven't seen any transactions where someone signs a huge contract and then is released. I have guys who are lifers for their teams and sign and resign big contracts with them.

I don't have the problem of the big stars jumping to other leagues instead of staying in the one you want them in. I have interleague trading off, and my financials are set up in such a way where the other leagues dont have the money to offer those guys that would make them want to leave.

I think that the playability of the game is underestimated in some respect and that there are things that can be done to get the experience that you desire out of the game itself.

All I really have done is to let the AI sim and see what happens. I have not scrutinezed(sp?) things the way that some of you have, but in the hours that I have spent, I have found an entertaining product and one that is certainly capable of producing realistic player movement in and around the various leagues, as well as realistically modeling the desires of the individual players whether it be to play more in a lower league for less money, or to sit on the bench and earn bigger money in a more prestigious league.

This to me, is where the game seems to succeed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #1110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you own the game then it isn't. If you are criticizing and voicing displeasure with no real first hand knowledge about what you're saying then how can it be anything else?

This is the most meaningless post I've read in this thread yet, and DAED was the clearcut winner until now.

Because some of us have played the demo and can only see some of the issues, but have read thread after thread of the same issues as 6.5 has, we're thrashing the game? Ok, noted. In fact, let me note that in Microsoft one note. Done.

Should we copy and paste stuff from the blogs that specifically point out the issues? Should we call Troy and others who do own the game liars? Sheesh... since when does pointing out displeasure about a game you wish to purchase considered meaningless thrashing? It's so blatently obvious for those of us who like the MLB model and play solo - the issues with the game at this point. Now, we can move on (see BB Mogul) or we can post the issues. Unfortunetly, I can only go as far as the demo takes me... so I hope those that do have the game can get some seasons under their belt and help Marc and crew get the information to Markus.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #1111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, Axxon ... did they pay you in US Dollars, British Pounds, or Euros?

If you want to suck their dicks, head over to the OOTP forums, I'm sure there'll be a folder for that & you can have a blast & maybe even get a reacharound while you're at it.

But I'll just be damned if your telling anybody here what they should or shouldn't post doesn't come off like some serious fanboy bullshit. Ray f'n Charles can see the problems with this game, so if you don't care for the comments then go tell the buckass naked emperor to get some clothes.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #1112
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
This is the most meaningless post I've read in this thread yet, and DAED was the clearcut winner until now.

Because some of us have played the demo and can only see some of the issues, but have read thread after thread of the same issues as 6.5 has, we're thrashing the game? Ok, noted. In fact, let me note that in Microsoft one note. Done.

Should we copy and paste stuff from the blogs that specifically point out the issues? Should we call Troy and others who do own the game liars? Sheesh... since when does pointing out displeasure about a game you wish to purchase considered meaningless thrashing? It's so blatently obvious for those of us who like the MLB model and play solo - the issues with the game at this point. Now, we can move on (see BB Mogul) or we can post the issues. Unfortunetly, I can only go as far as the demo takes me... so I hope those that do have the game can get some seasons under their belt and help Marc and crew get the information to Markus.

Dude, what I'm talking about is parroting what others has posted vs trying out the product and reporting issues. If you find issues in the demo and report them, great. If you want to say once that you are unhappy with what you're reading, fine.

If, to use an example you want to have multiple posts that just say it sucks and glad you didn't buy it, not so good. It does nothing to help make the situation better.

That's what I'm railing against, not the demo users who have issues though admittedly my post didn't make that clear. It's the people who have nothing to add to the discussion except, "see, it sucks" that I'm opposed to and they exist in every new game thread.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #1113
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
So, Axxon ... did they pay you in US Dollars, British Pounds, or Euros?

If you want to suck their dicks, head over to the OOTP forums, I'm sure there'll be a folder for that & you can have a blast & maybe even get a reacharound while you're at it.

But I'll just be damned if your telling anybody here what they should or shouldn't post doesn't come off like some serious fanboy bullshit. Ray f'n Charles can see the problems with this game, so if you don't care for the comments then go tell the buckass naked emperor to get some clothes.

What's with everyone trying to push the gay agenda on me? I don't swing that way Jon, not even for a bitter, no comprehension hypocrite like yourself.

I guess it makes sense, your fantasies about me got you so worked up you didn't realize that I really didn't tell anyone to like the game or that it was good. I just said if you don't even play it, you should let those who play it and can report the fucking problems, report the fucking problems.

If that's sucking dick then you have a pretty liberal definition of the term but like everything else you spew, it's all crap and we know it.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #1114
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I was at Fenway for the rain delay yesterday so I am just now catching up.
Let's say I was living in my mother's basement... wouldn't that make me the core audience for this sort of game?

Why? I don't get that at all.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #1115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's with everyone trying to push the gay agenda on me?

I must have missed something.

That said however, if you don't want the reference to come up in this particular thread, then don't come across like some lovestruck bitch upset that well deserved criticism had been leveled at their favorite beefcake.

Quote:
I just said if you don't even play it, you should let those who play it and can report the fucking problems, report the fucking problems.

Here's the problem -- that's not your fucking call. And trying to make it so does nothing except make you look like nothing more than a fucking brain dead fanboy, which deserves calling out every bit as much as the sorry ass state of OOTP and as much as SI deserves calling out for releasing a game in such a sorry condition.

Don't like being called out on it? Then do yourself a favor & STFU.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #1116
DanGarion
Coordinator

It's funny, anyone that likes the game is instantly a fanboy now.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #1117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
It's appropriate that anyone who bitches about people commenting on the sorryass state of the game is identified as a fanboy now.

Fixed that for you.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #1118
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Don't like being called out on it? Then do yourself a favor & STFU.

You're calling me out? Not really. You, who have made countless posts without even admitting playing the game. You, who want me to believe that you have any knowledge of the subject when you haven't even done that?

Now, I wonder who sounds like they're on a payroll Joe, I mean Jon. Seems clear that between the two of us you'd be the more likely candidate seeing how I've played the game and pointed out real issues and you haven't but have gleefully mocked their effort.

Hope the money was worth it bud.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #1119
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fixed that for you.

Hah, you fixing things. I get it. The fix is in. Hope you enjoy the money bud.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #1120
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
What's your favorite game Jon?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #1121
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's funny, anyone that likes the game is instantly a fanboy now.

Heh, don't even have to say you like the game. Just playing it makes you one to those who'd rather play the online hate game than an actual game.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1122
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
What's your favorite game Jon?

"Spouting bulllshit and trying to intimidate those who call me on it" would be my guess.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #1123
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I'm afraid that while I aim to please our customers my dick is off-limits, my wife wouldn't be particularly pleased if it wasn't

With regards to any problems with OOTP - obviously we'd prefer there to be no issues at all with the game, however when a sim is rewritten from scratch there are often teething issues .. Markus & Co are hard at work ironing them out and we'll be doing our utmost to support and improve the game in the coming months as we do with all our products.

If you can post these problems in the appropriate forums/threads or email them to us then that will obviously help us continue to improve the game - however abusive comments (from either side of the debate) don't really help anyone so please try and keep them to a minimum.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #1124
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I'm afraid that while I aim to please our customers my dick is off-limits, my wife wouldn't be particularly pleased if it wasn't

With regards to any problems with OOTP - obviously we'd prefer there to be no issues at all with the game, however when a sim is rewritten from scratch there are often teething issues .. Markus & Co are hard at work ironing them out and we'll be doing our utmost to support and improve the game in the coming months as we do with all our products.

If you can post these problems in the appropriate forums/threads or email them to us then that will obviously help us continue to improve the game - however abusive comments (from either side of the debate) don't really help anyone so please try and keep them to a minimum.

I'm afraid that I'm on the side of those who want the game to be improved so there is no other side of the debate but I'm against those who won't play the game and I don't really consider that a side.

Still, I understand your point. Jon, you want the last word you go ahead and shit on the thread. You want to address me, have the guts to start a new thread or take it to PM. No need defeating my own purpose of improving the game dealing publicly with a paid shill like yourself in the thread.

OK, I'll stop abusive comments after I push "Submit Reply."
Old 06-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #1125
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Can we not get one of our 400 mods to drop in a slap a few of the folks in this thread?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #1126
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Can we not get one of our 400 mods to drop in a slap a few of the folks in this thread?
I used the report button for the first time ever today!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #1127
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I used the report button for the first time ever today!

May I ask on who? Seriously. It got a bit heated grant you but I don't think anyone went to the point of deserving a boxing.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #1128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, this thread took a real turn for the worst.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #1129
James.Gattis
n00b

Quote:
Of course, because noting a situation that might be a bug that could use looking at is unimportant but repeatedly saying you won't buy the game is important.
Thanks for steering towards constructive criticism. The game needs it and Ive already reported several bugs over at ootp. But the FOF boards are not the SI technical support forum. This thread is called 'first impressions' and folks are coming by to see if they want to spend their time with the new ootp.

My first impression: Wow this is complicated!

Second impression: ... and buggy as f-u-c-k (5 crashes first day)

Third impression: ... and the ai sucks and the in-game sim is broken and they killed my favorite features and didnt add anything I wanted

Having paid $35 I hope Ive got the right to post those thoughts in a 'first impression' thread without posting every bug-track number for every bug I reported.

Hope that helps!

James.Gattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #1130
TroyF
Coordinator

Back on topic. . .

At this point I think we all know where we stand. We have a group of people who refuse to buy the game and are amused by the state it's in. (I hold nothing against this group of people, had I not ordered the game I'd be thinking the same thing)

You have a group of people who think the game is broken beyond repair.

You have a group of people who want to give SI a chance to fix it and are willing to give input into that process. (As I bought the game and I love the potential, I sit in this group)

You have a group of people enjoying the game. (I'm as baffled as anyone as to how that's occuring, but it's OK, to each his/her own)

Now is the time we all need to take a step back and wait. l'm not with SI and I have had no discussions with any of them on a patch schedule, but I'd be shocked to see a quick fix. I think they need to take time with this one and I think they will.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #1131
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Gattis
Thanks for steering towards constructive criticism. The game needs it and Ive already reported several bugs over at ootp. But the FOF boards are not the SI technical support forum. This thread is called 'first impressions' and folks are coming by to see if they want to spend their time with the new ootp.

Third impression: ... and the ai sucks and the in-game sim is broken and they killed my favorite features and didnt add anything I wanted

Having paid $35 I hope Ive got the right to post those thoughts in a 'first impression' thread without posting every bug-track number for every bug I reported.

Hope that helps!

Be careful.

Can we get back to posting issues within the game? I've done all I can do with a demo that lasts 6 months, now it's up to those who have PAID. I would be willing to help look over a website posted almanac/history if someone like Troy can upload one. I think most of what we've talked about has already been posted in the tech support forums and there is another thread over at ootp forums that pepple are posting the solo play issues with a current MLB type setup.

I do find it funny how a fucking game gets people all worked up when things are pointed out that need fixed, addressed, or at least looked at. There have only been a handful, if that, of games that are near perfect when released, everything else deserves the help of those who want it to be.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #1132
Philliesfan980
Banned

Just a question (and it might have been addressed somewhere in this thread), but has anyone asked for a refund at this point in time? It seems to me that this might be the best course of action. The $ always speaks the loudest. I haven't played/bought the demo/game, but if what I'm reading is correct (not making any indications that it is or isn't), I'd ask for a refund ASAP.

We, the consumers, need to start really putting our foot down and try to put an end to this "75% complete" trend that has come up over the past few years in the software industry.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #1133
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i havn't bought the game yet but count me in the camp of those who hope/believe that SI will get this thing patched to the point that after playing the demo I would be willing to buy it. It doesn't have to be perfect for that to happen, but it needs to be better than it currently is.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #1134
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Philliesfan, I don't think they offer a refund unless it does not work on your system.

DT, count me in the same camp.. I've had my credit card out more than once to buy this game.. I'm getting better at holding off.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #1135
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Gattis

Hope that helps!

It does but the more errors you do report the better the chance they get fixed of course.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #1136
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Be careful.

Can we get back to posting issues within the game? I've done all I can do with a demo that lasts 6 months, now it's up to those who have PAID. I would be willing to help look over a website posted almanac/history if someone like Troy can upload one. I think most of what we've talked about has already been posted in the tech support forums and there is another thread over at ootp forums that pepple are posting the solo play issues with a current MLB type setup.

I do find it funny how a fucking game gets people all worked up when things are pointed out that need fixed, addressed, or at least looked at. There have only been a handful, if that, of games that are near perfect when released, everything else deserves the help of those who want it to be.

If that's aimed at me then it's dishonest at best. I have already stated that things need to be addressed, fixed and looked at. I just wish that these things be reported on by those playing the game and I already said to you specifically that those playing the demo count.

If that is at someone else then that's fine.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're calling me out? Not really. You, who have made countless posts without even admitting playing the game.

Thankfully, the posting of the detailed results saved me from wasting my time on yet another failure by your Euro buddy.

Why in the blue bloody hell would anybody need to even waste the time to download when the failures are obvious with even the slightest examinations of the HTML reports? Pitchers in the outfield, senior citizens in Rookie ball, and an entire seasons worth of transactions for a whole organization taking place in a two week span of somebody's AA team.

My God fanboy, the problems are in black & white for the world to see ... or at least for anyone willing to stop kissing ass long enough to see them.

If you want to keep praising the Emperor's wardrobe, that's your choice. But seriously fuck you to hell & gone if you think you're going to attack those who have the audacity to {gasp} speak the truth about this abomination and then get a free pass for your bullshit. You wanna suck up, they've got a whole forum for you to do that in.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #1138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
We, the consumers, need to start really putting our foot down and try to put an end to this "75% complete" trend that has come up over the past few years in the software industry.

Ding, ding, ding.

Most spot-on post of the entire thread.

Alas, there's plenty of evidence that it'll never happen, there's too many sheeple.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #1139
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Ding, ding, ding.

Most spot-on post of the entire thread.

Alas, there's plenty of evidence that it'll never happen, there's too many sheeple.

Thanks for the compliment.

It doesn't just apply to this game either, it really spans the entire video game genre (both PC and Console). Maybe I'm just getting older, or crankier , probably a combination of the both. But its not even really the money. The $29.95 or $34.95 or in the case of console games $49.95 - $59.95 isn't what really bugs me, its the time that I feel that I wasted. As a busy professional, I enjoy my downtime, but nothing will upset me more than playing around and starting a season and 4 hours later on a Sunday afternoon, I find all these really obvious bugs that should have been pointed out during the Beta testing process. I'm not really a fussy guy either - if someone hits 50 hrs that should have only hit 35-40, thats fine. A wierd trade here or there, its fine - there are bad GM's out there in real life too. But the consistancy of the reports out there is what drives me to the no purchase decision.

JIMG, I agree with you that there's no chance of this trend stopping anytime soon. We're all starved for the next great text sim/madden/NCAA,etc that we'll continue to buy each product they churn out (well most of us anyway). I've just gotten to the point that enough is enough - Madden has been around for what... 16-17 years now? OOTP is on its 7th creation. Its just time to say enough is enough, you guys can't get it right, and move on. The fact that they are still messing around with AI issues at version #7 is very disappointing.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 06-11-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #1140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If that's aimed at me then it's dishonest at best. I have already stated that things need to be addressed, fixed and looked at. I just wish that these things be reported on by those playing the game and I already said to you specifically that those playing the demo count.

If that is at someone else then that's fine.

Missed your post replying to me. (retracted)
Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #1141
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Missed your post replying to me. (retracted)

Fair enough.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #1142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The good ol FOFC is getting quite a bit publicity, well that is if anyone reads this guy's blog.

http://www.calvertgames.com/cgblog/index.php

Good Grief

I was pointed to a thread over at Front Office Football Central.com that is 21 pages long and filled with some of the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time. Nothing like taking legitimate complaints about a product and turning them into an unseemly mess. There is one thing I would like to point out about a couple of the posters in that thread. Some of them spend a lot of time helping Shaun Sullivan with his PureSim line. So I would take their colorful complaints with a big old grain of salt.
Again, most everyone here treat every sports sim and game for that matter the same way. Puresim has been scrutinized as well. It just so happens that Puresim does NOT have waivers nor 40 man rosters nor some other of the ambitious things ootp 2006 has. I will point out that Puresim hasn't been around near as long either. Personally, I've played ootp 6.5 more than any other baseball sim to date.
However, as I said, there are some legitimate concerns. The waiver/trade/extension AI in OOTPB 2006 seems busted at this point. You can read all 21 pages of the reactionary garbage on that forum, but that is what it boils down to.
Why hasn't this been written on your blog site? or are you saying not that you've read all 21 pages, this is new news to you?
Now, let me say something about the OOTPB 2006 beta team. All of the beta team members that chatted with me during the testing process wanted the release delayed. All of them. But you are witnessing the thankless job beta testing is both in the FOFC.com and OOTP forums. These testers pointed out many flaws, but the game was released anyhow. Then you get idiots like "lynchjm24" in the FOFC.com boards assuming that these very dedicated and selfless baseball fans are dolts.
Well, most of the users on here and over at the ootp forums do NOT talk to the beta testers on a regular basis.. this includes lynchjm24, who by the way HAS given SI his $35.
So who is to blame for the current state of OOTPB 2006? Sports Interactive and Markus. Period. Please stop bashing the testers.
I've talked to a beta tester as well and he also said the same thing, the game was released way too early, about 3 months in his opinion. Realistically, when any game, say Madden has a glaring issue, the beta testers always get blamed. It's a fact life, whether it's true or not. Most have been around long enough to know beta testers can only report the issues, it's up to the programmer to address and fix them.
Now, to their credit, SI is trying to fix the game and is assembling a new crew to help them with the process. Hopefully this new team will help fix the waiver/trade/extension AI and can improve the intentional walk problems. And get some people on the team who play in online leagues so they can help fix the draconian file system and make it more online league friendly.
Amen. I think it's going to take some time though, so patience is needed.
But repeat after me - SI and Markus are responsible for the current state of their game. Nobody else.
Can't really disagree here. It's going to be taken as "bashing", but I would think Markus knew the at least the waivers issues would bring a ton of scrutiny his new product.

- Chris Johnson

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-11-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #1143
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
You have a group of people enjoying the game. (I'm as baffled as anyone as to how that's occuring, but it's OK, to each his/her own)

Put me in this camp.

Now, I'm not going to say that parts of the game aren't broken, but they largely happen to be the parts of the game that I've always turned off because I didn't want to fuck around with them (i.e., waivers, rule 5, etc.). I've always turned them off not necessarily because they were broken, but because I wanted to fast sim and those features interfered with my ability to shove guys back into the minors when I wanted to. Not real baseball circa 2006, maybe, but not a big deal to me.

I've been able to get around some of the weird transactions and superstars going to weenie leagues via thoughtful financial setups, so that hasn't been a bummer for me either. I saw some odd transaction stuff early on in a MLB league created from Lahman, but not enough to get my nose out of joint. It would have if I hadn't just quick-simmed the first twenty years to get some history, but again, I always quick sim a history, so this isn't a big deal for me, and with my league configurations, the odd transactions disappeared after a few years.

I'll admit that I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to sports simulations, so I've got that going for me too. The point is that I've got the game and I'm digging it despite its flaws. I'd like to see these flaws fixed (but even if they fix waivers and stuff, I'll never turn them on), but overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited by Drake : 06-11-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #1144
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
The good ol FOFC is getting quite a bit publicity, well that is if anyone reads this guy's blog.

Good Grief

I was pointed to a thread over at Front Office Football Central.com that is 21 pages long and filled with some of the most idiotic posts I've read in a long time. Nothing like taking legitimate complaints about a product and turning them into an unseemly mess. There is one thing I would like to point out about a couple of the posters in that thread. Some of them spend a lot of time helping Shaun Sullivan with his PureSim line. So I would take their colorful complaints with a big old grain of salt.

However, as I said, there are some legitimate concerns. The waiver/trade/extension AI in OOTPB 2006 seems busted at this point. You can read all 21 pages of the reactionary garbage on that forum, but that is what it boils down to.

Now, let me say something about the OOTPB 2006 beta team. All of the beta team members that chatted with me during the testing process wanted the release delayed. All of them. But you are witnessing the thankless job beta testing is both in the FOFC.com and OOTP forums. These testers pointed out many flaws, but the game was released anyhow. Then you get idiots like "lynchjm24" in the FOFC.com boards assuming that these very dedicated and selfless baseball fans are dolts.

So who is to blame for the current state of OOTPB 2006? Sports Interactive and Markus. Period. Please stop bashing the testers.

Now, to their credit, SI is trying to fix the game and is assembling a new crew to help them with the process. Hopefully this new team will help fix the waiver/trade/extension AI and can improve the intentional walk problems. And get some people on the team who play in online leagues so they can help fix the draconian file system and make it more online league friendly.

But repeat after me - SI and Markus are responsible for the current state of their game. Nobody else.

- Chris Johnson

I bolded the line which fascinates me. Color me reactionary and unhelpful, but I don't think I'll be spending my hard-earned coin on this game, this cycle.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #1145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I bolded the line which fascinates me. Color me reactionary and unhelpful, but I don't think I'll be spending my hard-earned coin on this game, this cycle.

That doesn't surprise me one bit really (as I've alluded to at least a couple of times earlier in the thread).

It wouldn't be the first time that Markus has steadfastly refused to listen to members of a beta team when they offered anything other than fodder for his ample ego.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #1146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

my replies are in bold.. just for clarification...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #1147
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Good Grief

- Chris Johnson

I'm a little confused Chris, if you happen to still be reading.

1) What do the guys helping Shaun and PureSim have to do with the state OOTP was released in? Are you stating the issues pointed out in this thread don't exist? (nah, I guess we get to that later in the story, don't we?)

2) So lynch made a snide comment to the beta testers. Shortly after he made it many people chimed in about not knowing what the beta team said and the most critical guy in this thread stated that he believed the beta testers probably did point out the flaws, but they were ignored. (It's a 20+ page thread, you may want to keep reading)

3) Thread like these are great because they are a constant brainstorm of information. The title of the thread isn't "OOTP Final Review - here is what sucks about the game. . ." It's first impressions. The good gets mentioned with the bad. You have people who love the game and say so and people who despise the game and say so. At FOFC, we don't just slam a game without cause.

Every complaint in this thread is backed up with facts and reasons behind the concern. I keep hearing how ridiculous this thread is and how we are a bunch of idiots who just want to bash the game. ENOUGH. If you can refute ANY of the complaints in this thread, by all means do it. Tell us our concerns are invalid and the reason why that is the case.

I look forward to hearing from you.

This thread, depite its chipiness toward the end of it, is what makes FOFC great.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #1148
Drake
assmaster

By the way, the biggest disappointment for me with OOTP2K6 is the sim speed and memory leak issues. I've got an older system (1.8 Ghz, 1 Gig ram), but I'm not seeing anything close to the advertised sim times for a season. It often takes 45 minutes to an hour to get through a calendar year.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #1149
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Every complaint in this thread is backed up with facts and reasons behind the concern.

Hyperbole. How can every complaint be backed up with facts when some of the loudest ones are based on hearsay?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #1150
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
That doesn't surprise me one bit really (as I've alluded to at least a couple of times earlier in the thread).

It wouldn't be the first time that Markus has steadfastly refused to listen to members of a beta team when they offered anything other than fodder for his ample ego.

I'm actually pretty fascinated by this impression of Markus. We've got a couple of beta testers over in the FOBL who worked (and continue to work) really hard helping to iron out some aspects of the game. They've said over and over again that Markus is more than happy to make AI changes if the beta testers support their proposals with hard evidence. It seems like Markus is actually a pretty math oriented guy, and for him to clearly see the problem, he needs to have it presented to him in mathematical terms, but once he *does* see it, he fixes it.

And anyone who thinks that we might be fanboys hasn't spent any time over at the FOBL.