Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2005, 12:59 AM   #1101
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Isn't that always the best idea, just keep jacking ticket prices. That alone tells me all I need to know about your viewpoint on things.

if you really think that ticket prices won't continue to rise, then I have some nice swampland to sell you
Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 AM   #1102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
if you really think that ticket prices won't continue to rise, then I have some nice swampland to sell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
I'm basically against salary caps in sports period. I guess they help parity, but I'm not a fan of that either, I'd rather see well managed teams kick the crap out of poorly managed ones. If the owners want a level playing field so badly, maybe they should be prepared to share all revenue equally instead of doing so off the backs of the players. Would that not do the same thing as a cap while passing the responsibilty of making good business decisions onto those who are paid to do?

Yes, but it's all a zero-sum game in the end. Who wants to foot the bill? (and how the heck does giving some teams a giant money advantage show well managed teams kicking the crap out of poorly managed ones- it just shows their ability to take advantage of an uneven playing field)

First you have the old system. It drains the teams that aren't successful to the point where they have a very limited chance of ever competing and pulling themselves out of their spiral. This leads to a couple of teams going out of business immediately (in the next couple of years) and a gradual choking out of quite a few more. In the end, you're left with a league with less teams, which is marginalized in the national eye and seen as dying.

If you go to extreme revenue sharing then the game will not grow because where's the incentive to tap that extra revenue if you just have to give 31/32nds of it up? In this scenario, the New Yorks and Torontos of the world, just sit back and don't even bother to tap their potential markets because they don't get to keep it at all. There's no attempt to grow the sport in key markets and the league, in general, goes nowhere.

In the current system, you're taking it from those larger teams in an attempt to get the smaller teams to use the cash to help stimulate their markets. Basically, you use the excess cash from the Rangers to help Pittsburgh grow their market. You're taking away some incentive from the larger markets in that no longer can you just raise more cash to get better players to win. But the incentive is still there for the owners to raise more cash because they get to put it in their pockets, if it's above a certain percentage. It's quite analogous to what has happened at KU the past few years with the football program. KUAC (Athletic Corp) used to get a majority of its income from basketball- something to the effect of over $10M from basketball, $2M from football, and maybe $1M from a hodgepodge of other sports. So, the new Athletic Director comes in and says that if they can spend a few more bucks to get football more competitive, they could get double or triple the return on it- spend $1M to make $2M, $3M, or even $5M. You're not taking away much from basketball to fund the new program and it could help grow everything else.

Sure, I'd love to see the owners and players agree to a system where ticket prices are tied to revenues, costs, and profits. Owners get to make a 10% profit after operating expenses so they have a reason to run their teams. The players get a set % of income, say 60%, and the rest of the money gets sent back to the ticket holders. That'd be a great system. It also has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening.

Considering the alternatives, I'm just going to go with my rudimentary understanding of Rawls and not vote based on my team (hell, my team has cash but they're idiots- what does that count as). If I had no idea what team I would be rooting fair, I'd want a system that's fair to all, not one that favors one team or another. And I'd try not to go around acting bitter just because my team got the short end of the stick with no considerations for the rest of the league.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #1103
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, I'm relatively happy with the 7% rollback the Oilers did this year as well as hearing yesterday that they offered ticketpacks that included tickets as cheap as $15.

Oiler ticket prices have not risen drastically in the last 5 years, and that included the time when we nearly lost our team. If they weren't willing to put a big hike on (instead they listened to the public when we told them those prices wouldn't get paid) at that point, I don't forsee any sort of big increase coming anytime soon.

Yes, season by season increases are bound to happen. Just as we get a raise at work for cost of living, everything else goes up just a little bit more than that. But for the Oilers to compete in a world where the average is a $45 million dollar budget would require them to likely increase their ticket price by 1/3, THAT is what I was talking about.

This swampland though........is there a croc hunter thrown in with it?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #1104
Karim
College Starter

Here's an interesting payroll tracking application. It only works on IE unfortunately. Move your mouse over the colours to see player/contract information. The 'faded' colours are RFAs, the darker ones, UFAs. In the upper left hand corner is the date, with two little squares. It starts at August 1st. Click on one of the boxes to scroll through the month and watch the transactions.

http://metafora.ca/payroll%20tracker...let/index.html
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #1105
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Here's an interesting payroll tracking application. It only works on IE unfortunately. Move your mouse over the colours to see player/contract information. The 'faded' colours are RFAs, the darker ones, UFAs. In the upper left hand corner is the date, with two little squares. It starts at August 1st. Click on one of the boxes to scroll through the month and watch the transactions.

http://metafora.ca/payroll%20tracker...let/index.html

works fine in firefox for me.
which is to say, it's rather ugly in either browser, but interesting.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #1106
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

How did this reach the second page! Good heavens...you Canadian FOFCers are slacking!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-28-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #1107
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
How did this reach the second page! Good heavens...you Canadian FOFCers are slacking!

"Too busy waiting" for rookie camp.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #1108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ok. After last night's "Slaughter on Monday Night Football", I can no longer pay any attention to the Detroit Football Lions, so I am returning my full sports focus on the Red Wings. Unfortunately, nothing is happening...

Datsyuk has turned down every offer the Wings have made. I would not be surprised to see him stay in Russia. If he does, the Wings are in trouble.

Zetterberg hasn't signed yet either. I am more optimistic that we will sign him. He can't make as much money in Sweden and his demands are less.

There have been numerous articles in the Detroit sports rags about goalie Jimmy Howard of Maine. The Wings drafted him in the 2nd round a few years back and people are ridiculously high on the kid. You college hockey gurus have any thoughts? His numbers are impressive.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #1109
Coder
College Prospect

I read in a Swedish article that Zetterberg is looking for $2.5 a year and Dats $4.0. Considering Kronwall signed yesterday, I'm guessing there's what.. about 9.5 left in cap-space now.. and in that space they need to fit in Z, Dats, one more goalie, one more d-man and one fourth line forward.. I'm sensing a sign n trade with one of the two unsigned "stars"..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #1110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
I read in a Swedish article that Zetterberg is looking for $2.5 a year and Dats $4.0. Considering Kronwall signed yesterday, I'm guessing there's what.. about 9.5 left in cap-space now.. and in that space they need to fit in Z, Dats, one more goalie, one more d-man and one fourth line forward.. I'm sensing a sign n trade with one of the two unsigned "stars"..

I think $4 million for Datsyuk and $2.5 million for Zetterberg is pretty fair for the most part. That was about what I was expecting. Maybe $3.5 or so for Datsyuk. That will bring the Wings to 20 players. They just need to sign about 2 more guys. I think they are set in goal. Well, as set as they will be. I think they could sign a 4th liner and a 6th/7th defensemen for cheap. It will be tight, but I think the Wings can manage the cap with both Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the team.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #1111
henry296
College Starter

The Penguins decided to keep the arbitrators award for defenseman Dick Tarnstrom. He will make $1.6 MM next year which is the 4th highest paid player on the team so far. Lemiuex and Crosby probably will pass that but aren't signed yet.

With the signing of Gonchar and the presence of Ric Jackman, they did strongly consider walking away from the ruling.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #1112
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Ok. After last night's "Slaughter on Monday Night Football", I can no longer pay any attention to the Detroit Football Lions, so I am returning my full sports focus on the Red Wings. Unfortunately, nothing is happening...

Datsyuk has turned down every offer the Wings have made. I would not be surprised to see him stay in Russia. If he does, the Wings are in trouble.

Zetterberg hasn't signed yet either. I am more optimistic that we will sign him. He can't make as much money in Sweden and his demands are less.

There have been numerous articles in the Detroit sports rags about goalie Jimmy Howard of Maine. The Wings drafted him in the 2nd round a few years back and people are ridiculously high on the kid. You college hockey gurus have any thoughts? His numbers are impressive.

Firstly, I am a die hard Wings fan.

That said, Datsyuk does not deserve 4 million a year. I love him and he's an exceptional player, but Rick Nash signed a deal barely over 4 a year and he's at least scored 40 goals in his career already. Datsyuk by no means deserves 4 mil a year when he's never scored 70 points in a season yet. Rumors of Dats to Edmonton for Ryan Smyth and a pick here have dwindled. I am sure Trav can tell us how much he heard of it there? Pending on the pick though, I'd say go for it.

Z needs to sign. He is the better of the two guys. He's bigger, stronger, and can handle a physical North American game better then Datysuk. Zetterbergs potential could be the sky, and for 2 mil or so a year, he's well worth it.

Jimmy Howard is a goalie I think is better then Al Montoya (People not familiar with college: Former Michigan goalie, went top 10 to the Rangers in 04) In fact, Montoya really only became a top 10 pick because Howard was hurt before the World Juniors two years ago and Montoya took over his starting job. Again, I'm a huge Michigan fan, and hell, I even partied with Montoya before (I work with another Michigan players dad, Matt Hunwick) and I'm saying Howard is better.

He handles pressure with great moxy (See the UNH/Maine game where he had 66 saves in a Triple OT playoff game) I think he'll be on the Wings roster in 2006-07 as a back up, and starting by 08. A lot could change but I can't see him losing the Grand Rapids starting job to McDonald. He may not get it to start the year but he'll take it over.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #1113
Travis
Pro Rookie

Last big Smyth rumor I heard much about was in a possible deal for Thornton before he got locked up. Latest rumor is that the Oilers are looking at Viktor Kozlov out of Jersey because of the financial situation they are in.

Smyth is the only guy not under contract for the Oilers this year and they are talking about trying to get him locked up long term. There is a pretty good size fan movement wanting to move him as part of a package deal to get a true first liner in return. Personally, I hope Smyth finishes his career in Edmonton and that we reward him for everything he has done here. He may not be a true first line winger, but he can do a pretty good impersonation of one for a 1/3 of a season on his own, and if you give him a true #1 center, I think that'd extend to 2/3 of the season.

As far as the Kozlov situation, I haven't looked into it personally to see what other teams are scratching the cap right now, but this is the sort of move I'm expecting the Oiler's to make. Hopefully give up a little less than market value to give another team cap breathing room. I'd like to hope that we'll make a little bigger splash than Kozlov as I don't see him drastically improving us.

Smyth and a pick for Datsyuk though, that is intertesting. Would you guys take Horcoff and a pick instead? Pretty please.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #1114
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Would you guys take Horcoff and a pick instead? Pretty please.

DONE!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 AM   #1115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Found this on Yahoo Sports this morning

OLN hires noted hockey voice
Compiled by John Ryan, Mercury News
August 31, 2005

OLN has taken a big step to ease the nerves of anyone wondering what the NHL has gotten itself into with a network that far up the dial.

Mike ``Doc'' Emrick, a 25-year play-by-play man who's among the most recognizable voices in hockey, has signed on as the network's lead broadcaster. He has been calling New Jersey Devils games since 1993. John Davidson reportedly will be his partner in the booth.

The New York Post quoted an OLN vice president as saying that although the rest of the cast will include some Disney crossovers, ``You don't want to hire the entire ESPN staff to come broadcast games for you.'' The irony there is that hockey is the one sport where Disney had helpful analysts instead of arm-flailing, smack-talking caricatures.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 AM   #1116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Found this on Yahoo Sports this morning

OLN hires noted hockey voice
Compiled by John Ryan, Mercury News
August 31, 2005

OLN has taken a big step to ease the nerves of anyone wondering what the NHL has gotten itself into with a network that far up the dial.

Mike ``Doc'' Emrick, a 25-year play-by-play man who's among the most recognizable voices in hockey, has signed on as the network's lead broadcaster. He has been calling New Jersey Devils games since 1993. John Davidson reportedly will be his partner in the booth.

The New York Post quoted an OLN vice president as saying that although the rest of the cast will include some Disney crossovers, ``You don't want to hire the entire ESPN staff to come broadcast games for you.'' The irony there is that hockey is the one sport where Disney had helpful analysts instead of arm-flailing, smack-talking caricatures.

That's not bad. I can live with those guys.

I have no idea what OLN's approach will be to the game. I haven't seen any marketing matierals, ads, or what not (probably because it's a bit early and probably because I never watch the OLN and never will unless hockey is one), but it will interesting to see what they do with the game. My hope is that the producers and folks in charge of things sit down and watch about 100 hours of CBC HNiC coverage of the game and try as best they can to replicate it.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #1117
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
That's not bad. I can live with those guys.

I have no idea what OLN's approach will be to the game. I haven't seen any marketing matierals, ads, or what not (probably because it's a bit early and probably because I never watch the OLN and never will unless hockey is one), but it will interesting to see what they do with the game. My hope is that the producers and folks in charge of things sit down and watch about 100 hours of CBC HNiC coverage of the game and try as best they can to replicate it.

one can only pray.
I'm not that familiar with Emrick, but I'm a big fan of Davidson. He doesn't seem to have a great "rhythm", meaning he doesn't always provide the analysis at the right times, and tends to talk over the play too much. But I find his stuff is generally very insightful and well-researched, much more so than the other "helpful analysts" at ESPN that the original article writer talked about.

Davidson does have a love affair with the Rangers that is just a wee bit irritating when he does their games, but since I don't plan on watch many (any?) Ranger games, I'm not too bothered by that.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #1118
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but OLN Canada will NOT be airing the NHL.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #1119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is from an article on tsn.ca/nhl on Brett Hull.

"I've only told Wayne Gretzky not to do one thing, and he didn't listen to me so I would never tell him not to do anything again," Hull said to the Republic.

"I told him not to come to St. Louis from Los Angeles and that (Blues coach Mike) Keenan was an idiot. He said (Keenan) wouldn't be an idiot once he got there. I said, 'He'll never change.'

"I was right."

While sometimes Hull is an idiot, other times he says very amusing things.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-31-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #1120
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The schedule for the nationally televised games have been announced.

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/all_sked.html

OLN begins by showing Rangers/Flyers on Opening Night. Then they start there 2 games a week schedule which will be on Monday and Tuesday. Oct 10 will see Penguins/Sabres and the 11th will be Coyotes/Stars. So their first three games will feature the biggest spenders of the offseason (Flyers), Sidney Crosby and Mario, and Wayne Gretzky coaching.
NBC will have a game on Sundays. They have 3 Sundays in January, 1 in February, and 2 in April.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #1121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The schedule for the nationally televised games have been announced.

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/all_sked.html

OLN begins by showing Rangers/Flyers on Opening Night. Then they start there 2 games a week schedule which will be on Monday and Tuesday. Oct 10 will see Penguins/Sabres and the 11th will be Coyotes/Stars. So their first three games will feature the biggest spenders of the offseason (Flyers), Sidney Crosby and Mario, and Wayne Gretzky coaching.
NBC will have a game on Sundays. They have 3 Sundays in January, 1 in February, and 2 in April.

Not bad. I like that they show the games on the same night each week. I don't think that Monday and Tuesday were the best days, but, oh well...

The Wings appear to be on 12 times.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #1122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hawks-Wings, Hawks-Stars, Hawks-Yotes, Haws-Avs, Hawks-Blues. Not too bad but only one of them is before February.

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #1123
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Woo-hoo! One single game for the Canes on OLN!

(Actually, I would not have been terribly surprised to see them get no appearances at all...anyone know if OLN was required to show all 30 teams at least once? That might explain it. )
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #1124
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Woo-hoo! One single game for the Canes on OLN!

(Actually, I would not have been terribly surprised to see them get no appearances at all...anyone know if OLN was required to show all 30 teams at least once? That might explain it. )

The Leafs, Sens, and Oilers make no appearances, while the Canucks, Habs, and Flames each make 1, so i dont think showing every team is a priority......Thank god for CBC, TSN, and CTVSN
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #1125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ack... only 2 games for the Devs .

But at least I'll get to listen to Doc Emrick, so it'll feel like a Devs game .
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #1126
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
The Leafs, Sens, and Oilers make no appearances, while the Canucks, Habs, and Flames each make 1, so i dont think showing every team is a priority......Thank god for CBC, TSN, and CTVSN

thank god for DirecTV and Center Ice!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #1127
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't get why they'd only show 1 for the 'nucks, flames, and habs. The former are a couple of good, young teams and the former are, well, Montreal.

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #1128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I'm blank here -- what is the "RDS" network listing?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #1129
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think RDS is the Quebec (French speaking) CBC network.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #1130
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
I think RDS is the Quebec (French speaking) CBC network.

RDS is the french TSN, Radio-Canada is the french CBC.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #1131
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g

Well since we can't see any games on OLN in Canada, CBC, TSN, and RSN are our only choices.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #1132
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
thank god for DirecTV and Center Ice!

Yes. I too thank god for these things.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #1133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from AJC.com
Needing a veteran goaltender to fill the void left by the injured Pasi Nurminen and play alongside rookie Kari Lehtonen, the Thrashers signed Mike Dunham on Friday.

Terms of the contract were unknown.

Not sure where this move came from, all I'd seen/heard as late as last night was either Arturs Irbe or Felix Potvin.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #1134
henry296
College Starter

The Penguins signed Lyle Odelein today.

Also, they resigned Ryan Malone who was a restricted free agent.

No terms available for either.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #1135
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
from AJC.com
Needing a veteran goaltender to fill the void left by the injured Pasi Nurminen and play alongside rookie Kari Lehtonen, the Thrashers signed Mike Dunham on Friday.

Terms of the contract were unknown.

Not sure where this move came from, all I'd seen/heard as late as last night was either Arturs Irbe or Felix Potvin.

Dunham > Irbe > Potvin
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #1136
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Mike "Why Am I Still Employed" Milbury offered DiPietro a 15 YEAR, $4.5 Million contract...

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/nyi050904.html
Old 09-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #1137
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Well, it is a shrewd move IF he knew there was no way it would go through (to get on DiPi's good side), but if not that is a silly deal. DiPietro would be almost 40 at the end of that deal.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #1138
Karim
College Starter

Datsyuk signs in Russia. He has a clause enabling him to return halfway through the season but if he's not under a NHL contract by December 1st, he can't play this season.

Quote:
"I think I am worth at least what (Dany) Heatley or (Joe) Thornton got from their deals," Datsyuk told the Russian media.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135484
Old 09-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #1139
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Datsyuk signs in Russia. He has a clause enabling him to return halfway through the season but if he's not under a NHL contract by December 1st, he can't play this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135484

As a Wings fan all I can say is have fun in Russia, Dats.

Maybe once Datsyuk puts up 70 points in a season, or scores a playoff goal he can consider money near them, but come on. What a joke.

I've always felt Z was more important to our franchise, so lets hope we get him in camp.

As far as Dats, ugh, what a joke.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #1140
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I read that article. Grr, how can he feel like he is worth 6 million? This is a joke. I hope he has fun in Russia. Martin St. Louis is barely getting 6 million, and he's won the Art Ross.

Datsyuks career high in points is what? 65-70? This is the stupidest thing ever.

Venting done.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #1141
klayman
College Benchwarmer

It's good to see that the lockout and new CBA has not deflated the players overblown and overpriced opinion of themselves.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #1142
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hrmmm...

I thought this wouldn't end well and it's not.

I agree with Big John, he Datsyuk is not worth anywhere near $6 million. That's pure insanity. I would be willing go up to around $3.5-4 million tops, but nothing higher. Anything more is ridiculous.

I have no idea what Zetterberg is demanding, but I hope it's more reasonable than that.

Regardless of what Datsyuk thinks he's worth, he is a good player. A very good player. He's got mad, crazy skills and moves. The Wings are not a better team without him. Even if they get Zetterberg signed, they will still have a big hole to fill and they will be sitting there a chunk of salary reserved for Datsyuk that will go unused. Not a good situation...

Oh well... Brave new world and all.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #1143
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If he turned down $5M, then either a.) he'd really just rather play in Russia and the rest is a smokescreen, or b.) he's getting some very bad advice.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #1144
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
If he turned down $5M, then either a.) he'd really just rather play in Russia and the rest is a smokescreen, or b.) he's getting some very bad advice.

c) delusions of grandeur
Old 09-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #1145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think it's a combination of "a" and "c". I think he really wants to stay in Russia. He never really picked up English. I think he's happy there and if the pay is equal in Russia (or even a little less), I think he'll stay.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 AM   #1146
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I have no idea what Zetterberg is demanding, but I hope it's more reasonable than that.

Saw something on Kuklas, that Zetterberg is asking for Rick Nash money.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #1147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Saw something on Kuklas, that Zetterberg is asking for Rick Nash money.

This is not what I meant by "being reasonable".
Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 AM   #1148
Coder
College Prospect

Swedish media is reporting that Zetterberg is asking for between 2 and 2.5 million

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #1149
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, similar to the Datsyuk quote above (demanding $6 million) you always have to take these foreign reports with a grain of salt. There's translation and reliability issues. Still, the fact that neither have been signed, plus some reports in the Freep Press indicate all sides are far off. Not good times...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #1150
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Are shootout goals going to be tracked seperately, or will they be thrown in with the other totals?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote