Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #1101
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Dobbs second series: Fumbled and Falcons recover and take it to the two.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:11 PM   #1102
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

And now he got a receiver killed.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:17 PM   #1103
GrantDawg

Arthur Smith either needs to hire an OC, or just get fired out right. Ball at the two after the fumble, three plays without Kyle Pitts and Bijan Robinson even on the field. Instead he once again handed the ball off to the back-up tight end for a loss of yardage, the second time in two games. He is taking points off the board trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Why are you wasting top talent on the bench?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-05-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #1104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There have been a lot of bad roughing the passer calls over the past several years, but you won't see much more egregious call than the call against the Redskins on a sack and fumble on a hit from behind. I watched it 3 times and saw nothing more than a garden variety sack.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #1105
Atocep
Coordinator

Velus Jones is taking stupid plays/decisions per touch to another level.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:04 PM   #1106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Falcons just bizarre.

Through the Heinecke INT, looks like 16 runs / 37 pass plays (counting scrambles)

Last drive, for the lead? 11 runs, 2 pass plays (and one of those turned into a run)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #1107
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Joshua Dobbs.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #1108
GrantDawg

Fire everybody. Don't just fire them, line them up against a wall.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #1109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LMFAO.

Only thing that would have made that Dobbs drive better would have been a Jujuan Jennings sighting.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #1110
GrantDawg

And I mean don't even offer them a cigarette or a blindfold.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #1111
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah so Tune not looking like an NFL QB for the Cards and of course the guy traded and not expected to play comes in after some early struggles is the star.

OF COURSE.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:35 PM   #1112
Ksyrup

Case in point on automatic review - Philly came up a half-yard short of the 1st down and went for it on 4th. The replay clearly showed Hurts's knee down 2 yards short. I don't know if Dallas saw it and decided not to challenge considering it was 5 minutes into the game, but that could have easily been corrected by a replay booth call-down. I doubt Philly goes for it on 4th and 2.

After watching it done the right way on Saturdays, it sucks to watch the pros get it so wrong.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-05-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:47 PM   #1113
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Velus Jones is taking stupid plays/decisions per touch to another level.
Just more proof that the Bears' coaching staff is clueless. The culture of losing that this team has built over the years saddens me. Bagent is no savior but he's not getting much help either save for Kmet. WTF happened to Moore? The QBs need to be more like Jim McMahon. Whenever Getsy calls a screen just change the play.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #1114
Danny
Head Coach

Raiders more points in first half then they scored all season in a whole game with Josh McD.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #1115
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So it looks like right now Bryce Young is the leading passing TD for the Colts right now.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:01 PM   #1116
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Someone that watches college football needs to tell me how Bryce Young was drafted ahead of CJ Stroud. Watching them both this year, Stroud is light years ahead of Young in their current development. Their arm strength, decision making, downfield accuracy, etc. are just not comparable at this time.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #1117
HerRealName
College Prospect

The game of inches stuff is really working against the Cowboys right now.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:16 PM   #1118
GrantDawg

Idk. Young would not have been my choice. He looked to me look a college qb, but nothing he did make me think he would work out well on the next level. In college you can find the time to move around and fine lanes to throw the ball, especially when you are playing on team with talent way above your opponents. In the NFL, all the players are bigger, faster stronger. Plays are quicker. Finding those throwing lanes is much harder, especially when you are so much shorter than the guys in front of you.
Meanwhile, what I saw of Stroud looked exactly like an NFL quarterback. Size, arm, decision making. He was the guy I wanted the Falcons to move up for.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #1119
HerRealName
College Prospect

Yeah, Young was awesome in college but it was mostly outside the system by running around and extending plays.

Stroud was NFL ready. Anyone that saw the OSU-Georgia game should've been able to see that but many NFL draft experts still got it wrong.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #1120
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Someone that watches college football needs to tell me how Bryce Young was drafted ahead of CJ Stroud. Watching them both this year, Stroud is light years ahead of Young in their current development. Their arm strength, decision making, downfield accuracy, etc. are just not comparable at this time.

One is from Alabama and the other is from Ohio State, where the best QB to come from there is Joe Burrows.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:30 PM   #1121
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
One is from Alabama and the other is from Ohio State, where the best QB to come from there is Joe Burrows.

And the next best is probably Tom Tupa.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #1122
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Yeah, Young was awesome in college but it was mostly outside the system by running around and extending plays.

Stroud was NFL ready. Anyone that saw the OSU-Georgia game should've been able to see that but many NFL draft experts still got it wrong.

That's my concern with Caleb Williams. He makes most of his plays from outside the pocket as pass protection breaks down.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #1123
Danny
Head Coach

If their schools were reversed Stroud would have been #1.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:46 PM   #1124
GrantDawg

It makes Caleb Williams a little more of a gamble. Guys that use their legs can make it in the NFL, but many times it takes time to learn they can't just athletic their way out of situations. Players like Mahomes caught on fast, where Hurts needed some time. Then there is Justin Fields....

Old 11-05-2023, 06:56 PM   #1125
Ksyrup

The last 45 seconds of Dallas/Philly was Three Stooges vs Keystone Kops.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #1126
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
And the next best is probably Tom Tupa.

I abhor this Mike Tomczak erasure.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:39 PM   #1127
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Saw this from ESPN's Kevin Seifert:

"Josh Dobbs didn't take a single rep with the offense in practice. No snaps from the center. Had never thrown passes to anyone and didn't know most of their full names. "That's for next week", he said."

Apparently familiarity with a team is overrated.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:06 AM   #1128
QuikSand
lolzcat

i love the Dobbs story a ton, was thrilling to watch the end of that game with my son, knowing the setup
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #1129
molson
General Manager

I love the Dobbs stuff - but, it seems crazy they wouldn't have the #1 backup QB learn SOMETHING in the 5 days before a game. Maybe he had to go through human resources meetings, you know, get his 401ks transferred and such, find the good vending machines in the building.

But, it worked
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:32 AM   #1130
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey hey enough of this Dobbs stuff.Kyler Murray is back this week (I hope) and now that Dobbs is gone, I hope we never have to see Tune be the backup this season.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:41 AM   #1131
Thomkal
Head Coach

Giants QB Daniel Jones tore his ACL out for the season. Too bad Josh Dobbs wasn't still around for the Cards to trade him again.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #1132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is not a case of 20/20 hindsight.

Even as they signed Jones to that extension, we knew it was a bad deal.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #1133
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This is not a case of 20/20 hindsight.

Even as they signed Jones to that extension, we knew it was a bad deal.

The defense and justification of contracts like that for QBs makes no sense to me. It's the most important position on the field by a great deal. Winning with a good QB, that isn't a future hall of famer, is hard enough. Trying to win with one that's mediocre or worse isn't really worth the effort. Giving contracts like this out to guys like Jones is just delaying the inevitable and a waste of cap space. I get that the QB hunt is awful and you can get stuck in a cycle of looking for a QB, but IMO it's better than being bad while paying a qb 30-40 mil.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #1134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I refuse to watch ANY game on replay. If I miss it live, I miss it. If I can't watch, I don't ignore it and watch later, I just follow along on stats. I don't care that much. If I have a Saturday/Sunday to sit and watch everything, awesome. If not, that's why the internet exists.

heh I just don't have the patience to watch an entire game on a network channel with all the awful shit they put in games. SOOOO much sidecrap. All these intros from players...all the back history of players...all these sideline reports...all the commercials. I DVD it and flip through all that crap and just watch the plays (and replays). Games usuially take about an hour to get through. I miss plays here in there but whatever. It doesn't waste any time.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #1135
Ksyrup

Except for Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games, I almost always only watch Red Zone. In fact, I'm surprised they offer Red Zone because I have no reason to pay for Sunday Ticket. It's like someone read my schizophrenic mind and jumps around between all sorts of games just like I would. My wife can't follow anything, and I know what's going on on every screen they're showing. It's great.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:37 PM   #1136
Ksyrup

Cam Akers tore his achilles again. Weird career. He seemed like a good bet to be better than Dalvin Cook coming out of FSU (he was the only stud on the lean year FSU teams), but never really showed much consistency, tore his achilles in 2021 and came back super fast by the end of the year, then got into McVay's doghouse (never really explained that I saw), almost got traded/released mid-season last year, then did get dumped, took Cook's spot with the Vikings, and now his career is all but over with a second achilles injury, I imagine.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #1137
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what is red zone
Old 11-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #1138
Ksyrup

A channel that shows nothing but red zone plays from every game on during the 1pm/4pm games, live.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:48 PM   #1139
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It is one of the greatest inventions in sports history.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #1140
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
what is red zone
When your wife has that bad week every month.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:43 PM   #1141
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what is red zone

Seven hours of commercial free football!

Basically, it's like every fan out there, switching from game to game to show big plays, highlights, etcetera. Usually focuses on teams in the eponymous Red Zone, but when no team is, will show key third down plays. In that down time shows just about instant replay of big plays/catches, etcetera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou79xmGuNCg Red Zone at its best
Old 11-07-2023, 12:02 AM   #1142
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Lol thats the first punt return touchdown I've seen in a long time. Good fir that chargers rookie .

Dola lol the look on that jets fans face after the third jets fumble turnover
Old 11-07-2023, 01:13 AM   #1143
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Doink
Old 11-07-2023, 10:41 AM   #1144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #1145
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

C.J. Stroud reportedly struggles with cognitive test before NFL draft
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #1146
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
what is red zone
As others have said, it's basically complete coverage of all the games that are taking place in the early and late afternoon Sunday windows. It's seven hours of commercial free football. In the early window, it's primarily teams in scoring position in real time, so inside the opponent's 30 or 35-yard-line. If a few teams are in scoring position, it will bounce between feeds. If both teams are both close to the end zone and snapping the ball at similar times, they'll show you a split screen. You also get every scoring play, so if there was a long touchdown, they'll show you that highlight. And then big plays, turnovers, returns, etc. that often lead to teams getting into scoring position are also replayed. So you get the narrative for every game.

The afternoon window is a bit more chill, especially when there are only 3 games. You'll get a bit more action from those games when teams are outside scoring position (usually focused on the close games) while they will also highlight some of the key performances from the early window (best plays, drive of the day, rookie performances, etc.). And then finally to cap the day off, you get the touchdown montage after all games are finished, showing every touchdown from every game.

It's the only way I've watched Sunday afternoon football since it debuted in 2009. The Wikipedia page provides an accurate synopsis, including the perceived criticisms.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #1147
Danny
Head Coach

I think that was leaked and made a big deal of by a team or teams wanting him to drop. He went right where he was projected before that happened.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:49 PM   #1148
miami_fan
Coordinator

Correct, he was drafted behind Bryce Young and the question was why that would happen. No one thought Bryce Young was a more physically gifted QB than CJ Stroud. The case for drafting Young before Stroud is a concern of "how quickly he(Stroud) will acclimate outside of the Ohio State scheme." If that is a concern and Stroud is in the 18th percentile on a test that supposedly "separates athletes based on visual learning, instinctive learning, impulse control and improvisation, while measuring how players process and make split-second decisions." that suggest a belief that he wouldn't acclimate to the NFL quickly. One of the other guys whose test score also leaked was Young's 98 percentile. The article also some stuff that Brady Quinn heard, quotes from other anonymous executives etc. It could have just as easily been leaked by a team who did not want to be crushed for not gong with CJ Stroud.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:31 AM   #1149
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My mind boggles at something so amazingly useful and cool could be aired on American TV/Cable
Old 11-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #1150
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Amazon did not get their money's worth tonight.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote