Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #1101
bronconick
College Starter

Don't really think it's a spoiler, but on the safe side.
Spoiler

Last edited by bronconick : 07-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #1102
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

So will Martin croak, a la Jordan, before he finishes this? The man looks like the poster boy of a Myocardial Infarction warning campaign.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #1103
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
So will Martin croak, a la Jordan, before he finishes this? The man looks like the poster boy of a Myocardial Infarction warning campaign.

You'll know by the rate the next book is completed.

If he gets into a rhythm because he "bridged" the five year gap and he feels that he solved the Meereen situation adequately and the story starts rolling along like it did for him between publishing AGOT and ASOS, it'll finish.

If he keeps struggling to put words to page like he has for 11 years, it's clear that he's lost interest in the setting and it'll slowly peter out with maybe one more book published, or when HBO inevitably cancels AGOT he'll give up.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #1104
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ok I just finished book 5

Spoiler
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #1105
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ok I just finished book 5

Spoiler

Spoiler
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #1106
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup, that's who I meant! That does make sense, however (I've read the book so end of book spoilers)

Spoiler

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #1107
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh and anyone wanna hazard a guess on whether or not we go 8 books in the series?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #1108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, that's who I meant! That does make sense, however (I've read the book so end of book spoilers)

Spoiler

#1: I agree
#2:I've seen this asked elsewhere. My theory is it's just a ruse to try to set a trap.
#3: Nope he's not.
#4: Yeah, that was my reading of it too. I have an idea where they're going also...where horned-horses used to dwell?
#5: Don't think so. The presence of the other individual who we get to know there would seem to argue strongly against that.
#6: Agree. Was hoping for more from those chapters honestly. This is where I felt it dragged the most.
#7: I don't subscribe to that...think the 3rd grouping that you mentioned is the most likely by far.
#8: I agree. And yes, that's what I think is going to come off all this...hints to that effect in the visions.
#9: Don't think so at all. Agree with CW below.
#10: Not sure if it's better, but it's pretty badass, yes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-20-2011 at 01:33 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #1109
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Spoiler

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #1110
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

My thoughts - just finished. And

Spoiler
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #1111
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler

Last edited by JAG : 07-22-2011 at 06:11 AM.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #1112
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Spoiler
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1113
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Oh and anyone wanna hazard a guess on whether or not we go 8 books in the series?

Well, if we assume the last book is going to be the ultimate battle against the Others, then this is all of the stuff that has to get resolved in the next book.

Spoiler

That's way too much for one book. It might be too much for two books. Unless the fight against the Others gets extremely short shrift, I can't see any way for the series to end after 7 books.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #1114
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think it's gonna have to go 8 minimum, yeah. Martin said at Comic-Con that there's two left, but realistically, Crows/Dragons was supposed to be one originally. I have to think the next one ends up getting a split like that also.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1115
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Still making my way through my Audible edition. Best quote so far.
Roose Bolton to Ramsey..."don't make me(sic)...rue the day I raped your mother."

You gotta love Roose.

I think I did the (sic) thing right. If not I'll make the grammar or english teacher threads.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #1116
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Spoiler

That was a lot longer than I intended.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #1117
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #1118
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'll have to re-read that then. I had convinced myself that was the case, but then a friend argued the counterpoint and re-convinced me otherwise.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #1119
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Still making my way through my Audible edition. Best quote so far.
Roose Bolton to Ramsey..."don't make me(sic)...rue the day I raped your mother."

You gotta love Roose.

I think I did the (sic) thing right. If not I'll make the grammar or english teacher threads.

I am making my way through (70% through) and I have a Tyrion line that trumps that when someone is telling him "Think of me as you would your father", Tyrion thinks Gladly, made me burst out laughing (thankfully I was at home and not on the train).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-26-2011 at 07:57 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #1120
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I am making my way through (70% through) and I have a Tyrion line that trumps that when someone is telling him "Think of me as you would your father", Tyrion thinks Gladly, made me burst out laughing (thankfully I was at home and not on the train).

That was a fantastic line.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #1121
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #1122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just finished. IMO, this book was the worst of the series. I'm crushingly disappointed.

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-30-2011 at 01:28 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #1123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

All right, no reason to have an entire thread with nothing but Spoiler Warnings.

So, I think we should open the discussion.

ANY POST BEYOND THIS ONE CAN (AND VERY LIKELY WILL) CONTAIN A DISCUSSION OF EVERYTHING OF THE SERIES THROUGH THE END OF BOOK FIVE (DANCE WITH DRAGONS). SO, SPOLIERS.

PROCEED FURTHER WITH CAUTION.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #1124
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE!!!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1125
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As one might guess from my prior post, I finally got around to finishing "Dance With Dragons" over the weekend.

Here are some of my initial thoughts in no particular order:

First, I never read the "Wheel of Time" series. In fact, other than the first six "Dragonlance" books, "Lord Of The Rings", Charlie Huston's "Henry Thomas" triology, and the "Dark Tower" series, beyond comic books/graphic novels, I don't think I've ever read any other series, fantasy or otherwise. So, I haven't been burned before like a lot of other folks. My take on the length of the series is pretty simple: I want him to finish it. If it's seven books, great. If it takes eight, that's fine too, since it just means more time in that world. If it starts running beyond that, well... I am also pretty patient. The "Dark Tower" series took an insanely long time to finish.

-I can't say I was devastated, irritated, annoyed or didn't like the book, because I enjoyed it. I loved reading it. I love being back in that world and back with those characters. There is no denying it. I loved a lot of the chapters and perspectives. That said, there were things I wasn't thrilled with and a few things I feel were missteps. The largest genral problem I had with the book is that it felt like very strings were getting pulled further and further apart as opposed to being tied back together. It felt like pieces were just sort of moving around randomly.

- One of the biggest missteps for me was the introduction of the Aegon character. I remember reading somewhere that there was speculation that he could be still alive, but dismissed it. Like Quentyn Martell, I feel like he's just "come too late" in the story. He seems like a relatively important character to introduce in book five of a (supposively) seven book series. He also has the potential to marginalize Dany, who we've been with since the begining.

I don't have high hopes for the guy. I like Jon Connington, I didn't mind his chapters, since I liked the Gold Company stuff and liked them going back to Westeros. I also enjoy all of his recollections of the past, Rhaeger, Battle of the Bells, etc. Aegon, however, seems like he's a bit irritating. There was some comment by someone about how he was much easier to handle when he was just a peasant boy and before they openly revealed him to be a potential king. He showed an ability to be manipulated by Tyrion and his desire to lead the raid on Storm's End could prove fatal. There is really only two ways I can see it shaking down for Aegon. Either he's triumphant, where does that leave Dany? Or he gets killed and, thus, what was the point of all of this?

Maybe one reason for Aegon's presence is that it could finally bring Dorne into the war. If that's the case, then I could be fine with that. I kind of like Dorne, so the more of Dorne the better.

- While the Tyrion character still remains great, much of what did or was forced to do in this book was either dull or annoying. The whole ride down the river with Griff through that crazy, misty place with the giant turtles and the greyskin monsters didn't do much for me. I like seeing various parts of the Land Across The Narrow Sea and understand that that world is more mystical and magical than Westeros, but that particular stretch didn't do much for me. Penny was and remains deeply irritating.

I also didn't like Tyrion cartwheeling around all over the place. I always felt like that first scene between Tyrion and Jon, when Tyrion jumped down and tumbled in the air was just something Martin added early on and forgot to take out, since Tyrion never did anything like that again. Bringing that back up was just... eh.

I did like Jorah Mormont's presence in those chapters. I found him to be a bright spot.

- There were a few too many chapters that ended with the perspective character seemingly dying. It was like the "sexposition" on the TV show. You can't have that sort of thing become a trend or it becomes too obvious.

- I found the Bran stuff very dull, but there wasn't a lot of it. The best thing in those chapters was that vision he had of the gold man, dog headed guy fighting the silent mountain or whatever, because if that means we get a one-handed Jaimie and the Hound back from the Silent Isle to fight Robert Strong aka The Gregorstein, I am more than down with that.

- At first I wasn't too thrilled with the Theon chapters, but about half way through, once they got settled at Winterfell, I really enjoyed them. Ramsay Bolton has to take the mantle as the most evil character in the books at the moment. He trumps the like of Viserys and Gregor. I didn't realzie who Abel and his women were until about halfway through the rescue attempt. It didn't dawn on me until one of them said "Kneelers" and then I was like... Oh.. Ooooh...

- Boats. Far too much time spent on boats.

- That said, I kind of liked the Victarion chapters. He really isn't all that different from Quentyn Martell in a way. He's much more brutal and vicious, but still has this "fairy tale" vision of what he's doing and why.

- I didn't find too many of the new characters, perspective or otherwise, to be too terribly compelling. There hasn't been a Hound, Mountain, Syrio Florell, Jaqen H'gar, or even Vargo Hoat, that has really captured me. I did end up coming around to Ser Archibald - the Dornish guy with the giant hammer who was with Quentyn. I also kind of liked the Shavepate after a while. I am trying to think of a new character that I thought was very cool and can't quite think of one.

- I really enjoyed the one Areo Hotah chapter. More plotting, planning and schemeing by Doran Martel.

- Not enough Davos. I really like Davos. His scene with Lord Manderly in private was a favorite. At first I was stunned by the show the Manderlys put on. I couldn't believe they were being so lame and ridiculous with the Freys and Boltons. I was thrilled when they revealed it was all an act and that they were good, loyal Stark bannermen. I also liked the fact that they apparently killed those Freys who were with them and had them baked into those "pork" pies at the wedding feast that Lord Manderly kept downing and downing and downing. It will be interesting to see if Davos can find Rickon, Osha and Shaggy Dog. An interesting group.

- I loved the Barristan Selmy perspective chapters. He was a great character to finally get inside of and I liked a lot of the action and plotting in it. Some great stuff about the past, which I always enjoy, and interesting stuff going on in the present. Those were some of my favorite chapters. His fight with the pit fighter was excellent. I love seeing Selmy being a bad ass.

- Poor Quentyn Martell. You can't help but feel bad for the guy. He just came too late. And then tried a little too hard. I do like how he's making dragons very dangerous and hard to control, as they should be.

- I went back and forth on the Dany stuff. Some of it I really enjoyed, some of it I didn't. I thought the scene in the fighting pits was excellent. Daario Naharas was probably the second biggest douche bag in the series for me. The first being the "Darkstar". I know we mainly saw him through Dany's eyes, that of a young girl (it was nicely tempered through Barristan's perspective), but still. Then again, at the end it sounded like he was shot out of a trebuchet, so we might not have to deal with him and his "ladies" anymore.

I am not sure what to think of her last chapter. The khalasar she came upon wast part of Khal Drogo's old khalasar. She's on a large dragon. It kind of feels like she has taken one big step back, ditching all of the Meereen stuff and "learning how to be a Queen/rule" idea and becoming a khaleese of sorts. With the khalasar, however, she can lead them back to Meereen, smash the Yunkai'i and the rest of those armies besieging Meereen and then finally turn her attention back to Westeros. She could use the Volantese fleet among other ships to make the journey. If that's the plan, I am pretty ok with it. Granted, she has to get those dragons under control, will need to deal with Victarion and his dragon taming horn and there is always Marwin who hasn't shown up yet.

I must say that I love the Yunkai'i. They make me smile with all of their ridiculousness. I enjoy their weird, decadant corrupt culture with all of their freak armies - guys chained to one another, guys on stilts - and all of the oddness.

- I enjoyed the Aarya chapters. Of all the characters, in her two or so chapters, it felt like she made some of the biggest progress.

- Jon. Well, I really loved his chapters. I always have liked the stuff at the Wall. I felt like there was a lot of cool stuff going on there with the Watch, the wildlings and the like. Then the last page of his perspective happened... For The Watch.

I can't see anything beyond pure and absolute chaos breaking out right after that. You had Wun Wun ripping aparent one of Queen Sylse's knights. You had part of the Watch killing Jon Snow. It would likely be an all out war between the Watch and Sylse's men and Toramund and all of the wildlings. There seemed to be more wildlings. That battle would likely has repercussions all along the Wall.

There are really three options for Jon Snow. One, he's dead. If that's the case, well, then... I have no idea what to think. Two, he's not dead, just wounded and heals up. Three, he dies and Melisandre raises him from the dead like Thoros did Dondarrion and Catelyn after that. I am not sure how I feel about option three, though Dondarrion seemed perfectly fine for a whole there. Even if he does some how make it, I am not sure what he would have left to rule after this madness.

Not sure what to make of Ramsay's letter either. Clearly, he knows about Maynce and his spearwives. So, there was some truth to it. I find it hard to believe that the he has already crushed Stannis' host. It's possible they would do that off screen, but it would be odd. Since Theon, Asha and "Arya" were with Stannis, you figure if Ramsay crushed their host, he would have them as well, unless they managed to sneak away. Also, why would Ramsay be writing it and not Roose?

- I liked the Cersei chapters well enough. The ending with Varys showing up and killing Kevan was a bit surprising. Granted,, Varys has been working for a Targaryen return for a long time now, so I can see him becoming a bit more proactive now that Aegon has been revealed and landed on Westeros. If Varys really feels that Aegon on the throne is the best option, then getting rid of Kevan and putting the trainwreck that is Cersei back in power, is a strong means to that end.

So, where does this leave everyone...

Jon Snow possibly dead.

The Wall and the Night's Watch in complete chaos.

Dany possibly at the head of a new Khalasar.

Barristan Selmy and his new council at war with Yunkai'i and their allies.

Cersei back in a position of power?

Arya getting closer to becoming a faceless man.

Davos off to find Rickon

Jaimie disappearing with Brienne who, presumably, was sent to kill him or lead him to his death.

Bran under ground with the Children of the Forest, warging with all differnt types of animals and mind melding with weirwoods or something.

Theon, Asha and "Arya" with Stannis or wandering in the frozen north.

Stannis dead and his army supposively smashed.

Jon Connigton and Prince Aegon poised to take Storm's End.

Samwell Tarly in Old Town learning to become a maester.

Little Finger poised to make Sansa some sort of Queen of the North or something and trying to have the, as of yet unsullied, power of the Vale at his command.

Those are just some initial thoughts... Probably forgot a lot of stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #1126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the Aegon stuff was just for what you said, to bring Dorne finally into open revolt. They'll join on with Connington's raid along with some attempt to marry Myrcella (who may be diverted to Storm's End rather than King's Landing) to Aegon. I think Aegon may eventually die and Connington become a loyal backer for Dany.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #1127
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Daario Naharas was probably the second biggest douche bag in the series for me. The first being the "Darkstar". I know we mainly saw him through Dany's eyes, that of a young girl (it was nicely tempered through Barristan's perspective), but still. Then again, at the end it sounded like he was shot out of a trebuchet, so we might not have to deal with him and his "ladies" anymore.

Hmm I thought Daario was still alive and kicking. I assumed the corpses flung from the trebuchets were victims of the bloody flux. I do recall now that they did say "all six", and didn't ponder that reference too much. I guess that is a downside to listening, rather than reading something like this. You don't have time to leisurely reread and ponder a line or two, because there is always more content coming at you.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #1128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What'd I miss - who was Abel?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #1129
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What'd I miss - who was Abel?

The musician at Winterfell.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #1130
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mance
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #1131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hmm I thought Daario was still alive and kicking. I assumed the corpses flung from the trebuchets were victims of the bloody flux. I do recall now that they did say "all six", and didn't ponder that reference too much. I guess that is a downside to listening, rather than reading something like this. You don't have time to leisurely reread and ponder a line or two, because there is always more content coming at you.

There is no guarantee that it was Darrio, Hero, and whoever else they had captive were the people that were trebucheted into Meereen's walls. He very well likely could still be alive.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #1132
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There are really three options for Jon Snow. One, he's dead. If that's the case, well, then... I have no idea what to think. Two, he's not dead, just wounded and heals up. Three, he dies and Melisandre raises him from the dead like Thoros did Dondarrion and Catelyn after that. I am not sure how I feel about option three, though Dondarrion seemed perfectly fine for a whole there. Even if he does some how make it, I am not sure what he would have left to rule after this madness.

I'm wondering if we had Varamir in the prologue, so that we understand that when a wharg (spelling? I'm listening to the books now and have no idea how any of these things are spelled any more.) dies, that they can occupy the body they have "bonded". That would be the difference here if Melisandre raises Jon from the dead. His mind would have stayed intact as opposed to Cat and Dondarion, who returned changed.

Also about Jon, when Melisandre kept looking to the flames and asking about Azor Ahai, all she saw was Snow. I felt like that was a reference to Jon being Azor Ahai, which threw me because I "knew" that Dany was Azor Ahai. Now I have to think about that some more. That and read the physical copy of the book when my wife sets it down.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #1133
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering if we had Varamir in the prologue, so that we understand that when a wharg (spelling? I'm listening to the books now and have no idea how any of these things are spelled any more.) dies, that they can occupy the body they have "bonded". That would be the difference here if Melisandre raises Jon from the dead. His mind would have stayed intact as opposed to Cat and Dondarion, who returned changed.

That's where my money is as well. I think in one of Melisandre's visions about Jon she said she him as a man, then a wolf, then a man again which could be foreshadowing this and his eventual rebirth somehow.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #1134
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Also about Jon, when Melisandre kept looking to the flames and asking about Azor Ahai, all she saw was Snow. I felt like that was a reference to Jon being Azor Ahai, which threw me because I knew that Dany was Azor Ahai. Now I have to think about that some more. That and read the physical copy of the book when my wife sets it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
That's where my money is as well. I think in one of Melisandre's visions about Jon she said she him as a man, then a wolf, then a man again which could be foreshadowing this and his eventual rebirth somehow.

I knew I was forgetting one possibility.

It would be weird if Jon Snow became Ghost. I guess if there was some way to make him a man again, that worked, I could see it, but I am not sure how you could have one of your main characters spend any prolonged time as a wolf. Stranger things have happened, I suppose...

I took her visions to just be about his general warging back and forth with Ghost.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-23-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #1135
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There is no guarantee that it was Darrio, Hero, and whoever else they had captive were the people that were trebucheted into Meereen's walls. He very well likely could still be alive.

Understood. It was vague enough to mean everything or nothing. Especially in a book with two or three chapters ending with someone fake dying.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #1136
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
... I didn't realzie who Abel and his women were until about halfway through the rescue attempt. It didn't dawn on me until one of them said "Kneelers" and then I was like... Oh.. Ooooh...

I have to point out here that this was one of those rare times in reading a book where I got "it" before "it" happened.

When I read about Abel and the washer women showing up at Winterfell, just in time to play music and entertain the Bolton host, I recalled Mance doing his bit as a minstrel in previous visits to Winterfell.

That was it for me as far as special insight here. I didn't see any of the rest of this stuff happening. Although I did think that Quentin getting killed by the dragons would be more satisfying than him taming one of both of them. Satisfying as in it would tie up his portion of the Mereenese knot.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #1137
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The musician at Winterfell.

No that I got
Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #1138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mance

Ohhh...duuuuuuuuuhhhhhh
Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #1139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
No that I got

Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #1140
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
-I can't say I was devastated, irritated, annoyed or didn't like the book, because I enjoyed it. I loved reading it. I love being back in that world and back with those characters. There is no denying it. I loved a lot of the chapters and perspectives. That said, there were things I wasn't thrilled with and a few things I feel were missteps. The largest genral problem I had with the book is that it felt like very strings were getting pulled further and further apart as opposed to being tied back together. It felt like pieces were just sort of moving around randomly.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #1141
Mota
College Benchwarmer

All this discussion is confusing me. I remember how tight the first couple of books were. And then he killed off half the characters that I liked, and kept introducing more ... and more ... and more characters. I honestly am reading the 4th book right now and can't remember who some of these people are. Arianne is the perspective that I'm on right now (near the end of the book), and I honestly don't remember where she was from. I guess that's the product of too many years between books, and too many characters to remember, many of which are just names attached to sigils.

That being said, I still like the 4th book but it feels like it is going down teh Robert Jordan path.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1142
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pretty sure you don't remember because she's a new character at that point. I don't exactly remember how she is introduced, but she is a Dornish princess.

I think another option is that Jon could possibly be Cold Hands version 2.0 - here is what we know about coldhands:

-He's dead.
-He's not on the same side as the wights.
-He used to be a brother of the Night's Watch.

I know someone (my roommate maybe?) suggested that Coldhands was Benjen Stark, but it seems that Bran would be able to corroborate that, and he hasn't, which leads me to believe that Benjen is still missing (dead). I absolutely refuse to believe that Jon Snow is no longer a part of the story, but I really have no idea which of these options makes the most sense.

As for Ramsay/Stannis/Roose/Asha/Theon/etc...

I'm pretty sure Stannis is NOT dead and his host is NOT crushed. What we know for sure:

-Mance and the Spearwives made a break for it with Theon and Jeyne Poole ("Arya"). The attempt falls apart and the whole castle is up in arms after a very short while.
-Stannis's host is stuck in the blizzard and really not doing well. They have Asha Greyjoy captive.
-The Bolton Men have decided to advance out of Winterfell and attack Stannis's host.
-Theon and Jeyne (and no one else, apparently) made it to Stannis's host before they were caught by the Boltons.
-Ramsay sent a letter to Jon Snow and the Wall claiming to know about Mance Raider, Theon and "Arya," and demanded the return of Theon and "Arya." He also claimed that Stannis was dead and his host scattered to the four winds.
-A banker from the Iron Bank of Braavos was with Stannis's host.

That's it. We have no idea if the Bolton men ever even left Winterfell, due to the Theon/Jeyne escape attempt coinciding with the attack and being discovered. This leaves several questions...

-Why is Ramsay writing the letter? What happened to Roose?
-Is Stannis really dead?
-If Stannis is really dead and his host scattered, how in the heck did Ramsay not recover Theon, Asha and "Arya"?
-If Stannis is really dead, what the hell was the point of introducing the Braavosi banker?

I think that Ramsay has realized that Roose might be running out of patience with him. Now that Ramsay has been legitimized, the wedding between "Arya" and Ramsay links the Starks (and therefore the north) to the Boltons. Roose had no problem using Ramsay to gain this power, and then continue to use him going forward. However, Ramsay's treatment of Theon leads Roose to the conclusion that Ramsay may just be a bit too far gone to be able to hang in the game of thrones. If he were to die, "Arya" is still in Bolton hands and Roose has his own legitimate heir waiting in the wings with Fat Walda being preggers. Ramsay, though he is evil as all hell, is not stupid. I think he realizes this, and has planned to eliminate Roose (his only "real" threat to power at the moment, since no one seems to be paying Wyman Manderly enough attention) on his own.

So basically, I think there are two options here - Roose is still using Ramsay as a catspaw and the "Warden of the North," or Ramsay has taken the reins himself and is running the ship solo now.

As for Stannis, I think the fact that the Boltons are still looking for Theon and Arya is clear indication that Stannis's host is still alive and kicking, and that Ramsay is sending "empty" threats up at the wall.

Mance...I'm going to be super disappointed if Mance really gets caught by Ramsay. He's one of my favorite characters, and seems to be much too wily to let himself get caught in this fashion, especially with the extremely chaotic situation at Winterfell. I'm holding out hope that Ramsay got one of the wildling ladies to squeal about Mance (which would also be disappointing to me, but less so than the alternative) and his presence, but that Mance actually got away. I'm also leaning towards the idea that Mance helped Theon and "Arya" (who were both in no condition to track/escape/whatever through the snow and the forest) find Stannis's host, and then he made himself scarce knowing that Stannis has no love for him and would likely kill him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hiding among the hill tribes of Stannis's army.

Long story short: I think Ramsay is usurping power for himself by offing Roose, captured one of the wildling women from the escape attempt and tortured the identity of Mance out of her. Mance, Theon and "Arya" escaped, and now Ramsay is trying to bluff his way out of Stannis's host getting support from the Wall by penning his threat to the Night's Watch.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 08-23-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #1143
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just finished reading all five books, think I started about one week after the 5th book was released.

I haven't completely caught up on this thread, but I found some of the posts in here about the release date for the 5th book pretty funny in hindsight. I'm sure it was very, very frustrating actually living through the shifting deadlines. Guess I'll get that part of the GRRM experience starting now.

Assuming the 6th book is once again tying together all the characters, I think it is going to be hard to give due diligence to the many POVs. In the 2nd half of the 5th book, once events were "live" for everyone it seemed like there were some challenges there:
- no Bran
- no Sansa
- no Brienne (other than a mention with Jaime confirming she is alive)
- no Damphair
- no Samwell
- one Jaime chapter
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #1144
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Just finished reading all five books, think I started about one week after the 5th book was released.

I haven't completely caught up on this thread, but I found some of the posts in here about the release date for the 5th book pretty funny in hindsight. I'm sure it was very, very frustrating actually living through the shifting deadlines. Guess I'll get that part of the GRRM experience starting now.

Assuming the 6th book is once again tying together all the characters, I think it is going to be hard to give due diligence to the many POVs. In the 2nd half of the 5th book, once events were "live" for everyone it seemed like there were some challenges there:
- no Bran
- no Sansa
- no Brienne (other than a mention with Jaime confirming she is alive)
- no Damphair
- no Samwell
- one Jaime chapter

Two thoughts on that:

1. A lot of the POV characters look like they're going to be together and overlap, Brienne and Jaime, Tyrion and Dany (that could save a lot of space) and probably Victarion before long, Jon may not have a lot to contribute depending on what happens there, and so on.

2. He'll need an 8th (and possibly more than that) book to finish things because there's just too much left to tell.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #1145
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just managed to finish the 5th book this morning.

I agree with a lot of the thoughts that have been presented by you guys.

One thing that really pisses me off is how Tyrion's story played out in this book. Don't leave us wondering where he is for the entirety of book 4, then in book 5 show that he is well on his way to meeting up with Dany and not have the two of them meet by the end of the book.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #1146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Game of Thrones RPG - CollegeHumor Video
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #1147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I haven't read the new book yet, but I've been stuck on the 4th book for nearly a year. I just don't enjoy it, he's introduced too many characters over the years and they're just not as interesting as the original characters that are mostly killed off. I agree about the Robert Jordan feeling that he's losing control of the story, it used to be about the Starks and all the stuff happening with the kingdom, now it's way more than that, but not nearly as focused so you don't feel for the characters like you used to. I don't know why I should care about Brienne, but she sure as heck is getting a lot of pages dedicated to her.

Just finished the book. Comment on this...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #1148
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

He's talking about book 4.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ah ha...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #1150
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
As one might guess from my prior post, I finally got around to finishing "Dance With Dragons" over the weekend.

Firstly, I just finished reading books 1 through 5 last night, and it's amazing how close my feelings are to yours re: most of the characters.

Quote:

Having read the book immediately after the other 4 it was different to me than most I imagine, but book 5 was definitely a much more enjoyable read than book 4. I feel like 'Dragons' biggest issue was the same as book 4 - there was no satisying climax. It just sort of slowly builds, and finishes with a 'To Be Continued' tag. The strength of book 3 was that, despite being 'to be continued' as well, man, the climax. That's been the biggest weakness IMO.

Quote:
I don't have high hopes for the guy. I like Jon Connington, I didn't mind his chapters, since I liked the Gold Company stuff and liked them going back to Westeros.

I also don't have high hopes for Aegon, and much like you, I suspect Jon Connington is the key character here, not Aegon.

Quote:
- While the Tyrion character still remains great, much of what did or was forced to do in this book was either dull or annoying. The whole ride down the river with Griff through that crazy, misty place with the giant turtles and the greyskin monsters didn't do much for me. I like seeing various parts of the Land Across The Narrow Sea and understand that that world is more mystical and magical than Westeros, but that particular stretch didn't do much for me. Penny was and remains deeply irritating.

Agree 100%. Love Tyrion, but in 'Dragons' some of his chapters were a slog, outside of his dialouge.

Quote:
- I found the Bran stuff very dull, but there wasn't a lot of it.

Again, agree 100%. I'm not a fantasy guy at all outside of this series, and Bran's story thus far has been the one that signifies most of what I thought I wouldn't like about the fantasy genre. I don't hate it, but it's a bit too weird for me.

Quote:
- At first I wasn't too thrilled with the Theon chapters, but about half way through, once they got settled at Winterfell, I really enjoyed them. Ramsay Bolton has to take the mantle as the most evil character in the books at the moment. He trumps the like of Viserys and Gregor. I didn't realzie who Abel and his women were until about halfway through the rescue attempt. It didn't dawn on me until one of them said "Kneelers" and then I was like... Oh.. Ooooh...

Yeah, the Mance/Abel thing was a shock to me, but not as big a shock as me actually sorta beginning to not hate Theon again.

Quote:
- Not enough Davos. I really like Davos. His scene with Lord Manderly in private was a favorite. At first I was stunned by the show the Manderlys put on. I couldn't believe they were being so lame and ridiculous with the Freys and Boltons. I was thrilled when they revealed it was all an act and that they were good, loyal Stark bannermen. I also liked the fact that they apparently killed those Freys who were with them and had them baked into those "pork" pies at the wedding feast that Lord Manderly kept downing and downing and downing. It will be interesting to see if Davos can find Rickon, Osha and Shaggy Dog. An interesting group.

I think Davos is my favourite character overall. I thought he was dead in book 4 until he was mentioned in the author's notes at the end, so it was great to see him still kicking but yeah, disappointed he wasn't in it more.

Quote:
- I went back and forth on the Dany stuff. Some of it I really enjoyed, some of it I didn't.

Dany's chapters have been my least favourite of the major characters since the beginning, and little happened to change it, even bringing Tyrion and Selmy over to her side of the world didn't do much to change that. I just found myself wanting her to go to Westeros already, and not really caring much at all for this slave freeing mother queen storyline. Still, I probably enjoyed her more in 'Dragons' than any of the other books.

Quote:
- I enjoyed the Aarya chapters. Of all the characters, in her two or so chapters, it felt like she made some of the biggest progress.

Probably the one point I personally don't agree with... I loved her with the Hound, but I didn't dig this Faceless Men stuff in Braavos on the whole, and I found some of her chapters with the Brotherhood to be a drag too - in fact, throughout the books, she just seems to get dragged around or be running to one place to the other, without ever getting there.

Quote:
- I liked the Cersei chapters well enough.

Yes, surprisingly. I hope Martin keeps her unlikeable to be honest.

Quote:
Jaimie disappearing with Brienne who, presumably, was sent to kill him or lead him to his death.

The single most frustrating part for me was the lack of Jamie chapters. I never expected to like him - I ranked him with Cersei and Joff with characters I'd most like to see die - but I really enjoyed the Jamie/Brienne chapters.