Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #1101
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Ah... good. His constant singing of one song over and over again (though thankfully he did NOT do so yesterday) was driving me batty. Now he can go on tour with his alt-rock band and hope to be the next Creed.

Chris was consistantly heads above everyone else on the show, week for week. Whereas Soul Patrol shouldn't have even been on the show to begin with, they lose the best singer they had.

And you know Katherine is next to go. It'll be Taylor and Elliott, and Taylor will win. American Idol has hit a new low.

Taylor is HORRIBLE, and painful to watch, listen to.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #1102
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
People get waaaay too tied up in this. I mean how many of these people will actually become 'stars'? We've had, what, 4 seasons and so far Kelly Clarkson has been the only bonafide star with Underwood, Gracin, Fantasia and a few others doing decently (I think Ruben and Clay aren't going to be heard from much in the future, FWIW).

Carrie's doing pretty well, actually.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #1103
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chris was the same song week after week. You can think he was heads above everyone else, but obviously his jonesing for being Creed II wasn't shared by the people that actually vote.

And the best "singer" they have is still on the show. His name is Elliot Yamin.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #1104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Carrie's doing pretty well, actually.

I did say she was doing decent, right?

I think to be a star, you have to succeed with your second album. The AI name can carry a first album. It is what is done afterwards that will define you. Underwood and Fantasia have done good work on their first albums/singles... now to wait to see if they can take the next step and become stars.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #1105
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Chris was the same song week after week. You can think he was heads above everyone else, but obviously his jonesing for being Creed II wasn't shared by the people that actually vote.

And the best "singer" they have is still on the show. His name is Elliot Yamin.

Elliott is good, yes, but in a list of the best pure "singers" of the final four, Katherine and Chris were much better. Elliott will probably make it to the finals, but because the "public" evidently are composed of people more impressed with Karoake and goofy dancing than singing, but he won't win.

But I'd pick him over Taylor anyday.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-10-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #1106
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Elliott is good, yes, but in a list of the best pure "singers" of the final four

You are on drugs. Elliott is BY FAR the best pure singer of this season. If he had even the slightest bit of personality, he'd win this in a cakewalk. The problem is that he isn't (as Simon says) "Idol material". He really is quite boring, but has one Hell of a voice.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #1107
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Horrible. What can you expect for a popularity poll? I still maintain that Chris was head and shoulders above anything else; that I am an expert in judging musical talent; that Katherine is the bomb; that Simon is really gay (despite the recent public speakings of his alleged girlfriend); that Paua is either drunk or high on every show; that Taylor really is 39 years old (despite the fake id); and that Seacrest completely shaves his body.

That's nothing but the facts, ma'am.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #1108
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
You are on drugs. Elliott is BY FAR the best pure singer of this season. If he had even the slightest bit of personality, he'd win this in a cakewalk. The problem is that he isn't (as Simon says) "Idol material". He really is quite boring, but has one Hell of a voice.

We're just gonna have to disagree. Elliott's got a good voice, but isn't the best. Paris was a superior singer to Elliott, even, so I'd put him even lower on the totem pole.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #1109
Rizon
Pro Starter

The disclaimer isn't really much of one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #1110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
We're just gonna have to disagree. Elliott's got a good voice, but isn't the best. Paris was a superior singer to Elliott, even, so I'd put him even lower on the totem pole.

Fair 'nuff.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:26 AM   #1111
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I did say she was doing decent, right?

Hehe. That's what I get for skimming posts.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #1112
primelord
Pro Rookie

Taylor was certainly my least favorite of the remaining contestants, but the statements that he is horrible are a bit much. He has a very good voice. He is too over the top for me as well most of the time, but at least someone is having fun.

I was really hoping to see Chris go one more week. I didn't want him to make the finals again because I didn't want to see him have to sing the songs they already have prepared, but he was my favorite as well.

I think Kathrine mops the floor with Taylor and Elliott now.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #1113
Rizon
Pro Starter

wrong thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 05-11-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #1114
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Taylor was certainly my least favorite of the remaining contestants, but the statements that he is horrible are a bit much. He has a very good voice. He is too over the top for me as well most of the time, but at least someone is having fun.

I was really hoping to see Chris go one more week. I didn't want him to make the finals again because I didn't want to see him have to sing the songs they already have prepared, but he was my favorite as well.

Katherine was in the bottom two this week, and has been there before. Elliot is the bandwagon pick right now, and Taylor is the "common person" pick, so I actually think Katherine will finish a distant 3rd. Of course, everyone (including me) said that Chris would win the whole thing, so it's really a crapshoot.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #1115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm listening to some snippets on iTunes from past Idol finalists. Bo Bice's album sounds like it SUCKS! He needs to get out from the AI umbrella like Clarkson did and get more rocked out. Wow... that was horrid.

And Ruben's second album actually was pretty damned good sounding, but it was a gospel album and wasn't 'single based' it seemed.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #1116
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm listening to some snippets on iTunes from past Idol finalists. Bo Bice's album sounds like it SUCKS! He needs to get out from the AI umbrella like Clarkson did and get more rocked out. Wow... that was horrid.

And Ruben's second album actually was pretty damned good sounding, but it was a gospel album and wasn't 'single based' it seemed.

Yeah, my wife and I were big Bo fans during that AI season, but then my wife bought the CD (I never would have)......and we both agree that it was the biggest waste of $12 in our lives.

I really hope he gets gritty again after AI removes it's poisoned claws.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #1117
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think every BIG time Idol finalist (the smaller names probably can't or shouldn't do this) should emulate Kelly Clarkson and get out of that original contract ASAP. Clarkson's second album was light years ahead of the first one and one of the best albums of that year.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #1118
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
People get waaaay too tied up in this. I mean how many of these people will actually become 'stars'? We've had, what, 4 seasons and so far Kelly Clarkson has been the only bonafide star with Underwood, Gracin, Fantasia and a few others doing decently (I think Ruben and Clay aren't going to be heard from much in the future, FWIW).

If Clay Aiken's freaking christmas album can sell 1.2 million copies, I don't think he'll have much of a problem with future regular releases.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #1119
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Even though her performance this past week was sub-par, I still feel she is the best voice on the show and think that she will win it hands down. I am quite surprised at Chris' departure so I guess anything is possible.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #1120
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm in the boat that thinks this could be good for Chris... He could definately afford being eliminated now more than the other 3...

For the last few weeks I've been saying to people that Chris is the only one of the bunch that is guaranteed to make an album, whether he wins or loses. Hopefully his album won't be too wussified, and I'll definately buy it... I doubt I'd buy the album of any of the 3 left, even though I like them on the show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #1121
Drake
assmaster

I'd agree. Losing now may be the best thing that ever happened to Chris. He'll hook up with a band, lose the AI moniker and have a fine career, I think.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #1122
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
How quaint. You must be young. Hint: Read the disclaimer.

No I'm not young. Hint:
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #1123
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Chris still contracted to do the American idol Tour.

Not sure how long the contract is for.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #1124
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think the sooner CHris can get out of the contract, the better off he will be. I think the execs saw what happened to Bo and knew that Chris would also flop as a pop singer so they let him off the hook, sort of speak.

Disclaimer: By not counting "power dialing" votes gives a lot of leeway in how they use them. This is not a pure democracy, it is a business that is run by ad revenues and potential album sales. They are not going to let a bunch of couch potatoes and geeks dictate a process that is spent much more time bantered about behind the scenes than judging on a 90-sec performance. They can throw speed dial votes as well as voteforworse. They do become a good guage on potential customer likes/dislikes but it is taken with a grain of salt because the pairing down has to keep the ratings up and they want to make money on the first record sales.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #1125
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
I'd agree. Losing now may be the best thing that ever happened to Chris. He'll hook up with a band, lose the AI moniker and have a fine career, I think.

He's already signed with Idol. He's not getting away to anywhere.

I did feel that Chris completely tanked "a little bit of conversation", but I am surprised that he was voted off this week. I felt that Katherine would be the one to go.

Elliott and Taylor did perform the best acts this week, and they were rewarded. Although Taylor did tank at least some of his performances in the past few weeks, he hasn't suffered in the voting.

Elliot is a guy who I haven't been happy with. I actually still can't believe he is still around, but he finally delivered this week, imo.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #1126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think people don't realize, but I believe the last 6, if not the entire final 12 have a contract with AI. They can choose not to produce an album by them (and let them go), but AI has first crack at it. Chris has a deal with AI. I don't think they'll let him go as they did with, say, Josh Gracin.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #1127
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I think the sooner CHris can get out of the contract, the better off he will be. I think the execs saw what happened to Bo and knew that Chris would also flop as a pop singer so they let him off the hook, sort of speak.
You sure do have a lot to say about a show you claim to hold in such contempt...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #1128
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well that was certainly a shocker to see Chris go this week, especially because it came down to him and Katherine. She has been off the past couple weeks, forgetting words in one of her songs, and certainly didn't deserve to stick around compared to Chris who has been consistent even if the themes haven't favored him.

At this point I think Taylor has it locked up. His biggest competition in Chris is gone, and he's never been in the Bottom 2/3. It was nice to see Elliott not be in the bottom 2 for a change, and he may get the lion share of Chris's voters now that he's gone. Katherine has never been a favorite of mine though she's had her moments and is clearly getting through by being the only woman left (and a good-looking one)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #1129
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I guess tonight on NBC Extra, a band is going to extend an offer to Chris to be their lead singer. It is supposed to be a new offer that Chris doesn't know about so, rules out Fuel.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #1130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I guess tonight on NBC Extra, a band is going to extend an offer to Chris to be their lead singer. It is supposed to be a new offer that Chris doesn't know about so, rules out Fuel.

He can't take it unless AI lets him out of their contract. I just saw the result show, and I'm surprised that Chris is gone, but not shocked. Taylor has his huge fanbase. Kat's the only woman left, and she has a very good voice even if she has been off a fair bit the last week or two. I agree with those who think Elliott has the best pure voice.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #1131
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Maybe this band can buyout Chris contact.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #1132
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm at least a little confused by this "Chris would have to pop out" idea... Does he? I mean, Carrie Underwood did country.. maybe they learned something there? I'm not saying he would be doing Hard Rock, but why under the Idol label could he not do like Creed-Like music?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #1133
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I'm at least a little confused by this "Chris would have to pop out" idea... Does he?

I think people say that because when you reach the finale, they always make them sing a song that doesn't match to what that person is. Just look at Bo singing 'Inside Your Heaven'. That song just wasn't created for him...

As for contracts.. there are always ways to get around those.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #1134
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And then Bo followed it up with that single he sang on this year's AI that was putrid. Chris needs to get in touch with the house band from Rockstar and record an album with them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #1135
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
And then Bo followed it up with that single he sang on this year's AI that was putrid. Chris needs to get in touch with the house band from Rockstar and record an album with them.

But like others have said, he has to stay within this idol contract...

But why couldn't he go out as "Chris Daughtry" and find an "ok" band that could play with him for however long he is obligated, and then go out and find a real band?

Quote:
Old 05-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #1136
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
But why couldn't he go out as "Chris Daughtry" and find an "ok" band that could play with him for however long he is obligated, and then go out and find a real band?

They gave Bo a 'band' but, he forced the issue to get Sugar Money (pre-Idol band) with him when he went on tour. As a note, there were also a few of Bo's songs on his 1st album. (Something else that he also pushed for)
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #1137
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the execs saw what happened to Bo and knew that Chris would also flop as a pop singer so they let him off the hook, sort of speak.

either that or he received fewer votes than the other contestants (as at least 2 other websites that fairly accurately measure the volume of calls going to each contestants numbers - by tracking the number of busy signals - reported). Nah, you're right. More likely they are in on it, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #1138
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Okay, this is the 47th time in this thread that you broke out the "he sings the same song every week" line, and, guess what...for the 47th time, you're wrong. Should he dance around like a jackass like Katherine and Taylor? I'll keep thinking he's much better than everyone else, and I don't care if it isn't shared by the people who actually vote, as those morons are the ones who continually give Taylor the highest number of votes. If his hair was completely black, he wouldn't have gotten past the first round.

Last edited by Logan : 05-11-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #1139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You are entitled to your opinion, but come on. Simon said it on a number of occasions during the competition. He never reached out of his 'comfort zone' and attempted to alt-rock most of the songs he did.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #1140
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The range that Chris had in going from "It's a Wonderful World" to Fuel's "Hemmorage" was the widest out of any Idol contestant left, IMO. I think he's shown that he can do some different styles. The point is Chris doing Incubus/Fuel/Creed-like songs is better than any current contestant doing any other style. So, it would make sense for him to stick with that format in most weeks. It's not like Chris is going to be doing a record of famous hits by Barry Manilow. So, Chris trying to do those styles makes as much sense as Taylor doing Fuel.

In the end, I think Chris spent too much time doing songs he wanted to do instead of doing songs the American Idol crowd wanted to hear from him. More often than not, he would choose an obscure song no one had heard of and give it a harder edge. That's like doing a Mel Torme cover at a Metallica concert. The voting American Idol audience (mostly younger girls and some parents) want bubblegum-pop style songs they know or a unique/interesting personality. Chris offered neither.

Last edited by Arles : 05-11-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #1141
Easy Mac

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but come on. Simon said it on a number of occasions during the competition. He never reached out of his 'comfort zone' and attempted to alt-rock most of the songs he did.

Simon also said he was the only idol not to compromise who he is when he didn't do non-rock sounding songs. Then they found out about the Chili Peppers song after universal praise for making it his own, and immediately after that Simon said he needed to branch out. In other words, Simon got mad.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #1142
Joe
Pro Starter

Breaking: Band 'Fuel' Offers American Idol's Chris Daughtry a Gig

By Cris Bergman
May 11, 2006
The mystery is over. The rock band Fuel has been revealed to be the band that wants to hire Chris Daughtry as their new frontman. It's a tough decision by Chris but appears to be a good fit.

TMZ has the report:

In an EXCLUSIVE interview, the multi-platinum rock band Fuel comes to Extra and to say they want American Idol’s eliminated Chris Daughtry!

Fuel bass player Jeff Abercrombie and songwriter/guitarist Carl Bell came straight to Extra’s Idol Correspondent Terri Seymour with the offer of a lifetime... they want Chris.

The band has been searching for a new lead singer and definitely took notice of Chris’ rendition of their hit “Hemorrhage” March 1st on Idol. “Chris, if you’re watching,” Bell says, “we’ve talked about this before, if you wanna entertain it again, we’ll entertain it again and go!”

How’d the idea get hatched? Extra Senior Executive Producer Lisa Gregorisch-Dempsey played the matchmaker. “It came to me last night as I watched Chris get voted off,” she says, “the wife of Fuel’s bass player works for Extra so I know the guys in the band well. It seemed like a perfect fit!”

As for Elvis, Bell says no worries. “Chris, you won’t have to do any Elvis songs if you come to Fuel bro- they’re no more! You won’t have to do that.”
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #1143
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Didnt Fuel ask Chris before to be the lead singer?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #1144
Ksyrup

Yes, they did. And this great article doesn't address the obvious question of how they would get him out of his contract. Obviously, this isn't solely his decision to make - unless by making the offer, they're suggesting they could do a deal to free him from AI.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #1145
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they did. And this great article doesn't address the obvious question of how they would get him out of his contract. Obviously, this isn't solely his decision to make - unless by making the offer, they're suggesting they could do a deal to free him from AI.

I've read that he is only under contract for 3 months. (through the tour)
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #1146
Ksyrup

I thought the top 10 or 12 was under an agreement requiring them to sign with Simon's label (if they wanted them).
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #1147
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought the top 10 or 12 was under an agreement requiring them to sign with Simon's label (if they wanted them).

I think they get first right of refusal.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #1148
Joe
Pro Starter

but then again I'm not even sure what the deal is with record labels. Simon's label is J Records, I believe.. but Carrie Underwood is on Arista and Bo is on RCA Records... maybe they're owned by the same person.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #1149
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

That would be terrible. Simon is often spot-on, but he's also horribly off - See Bo Bice's album as proof.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #1150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
That would be terrible. Simon is often spot-on, but he's also horribly off - See Bo Bice's album as proof.

What does Simon have to do with Bo Bice's album? You are probably thinking of Clive Davis. Simon just basically searches out talent. Davis is the one that helps them produce the albums.