Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #1101
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have a group of 5 friends who play every CoD on Xbox Live every Wed. night. They want it for the MP more than anything else.

I want to get into that Wed night action I'm always looking to play with someone who's not 10 years old.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #1102
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I want to get into that Wed night action I'm always looking to play with someone who's not 10 years old.

I was thinking the same think CleBrowns. I'm wondering if we could get a steady game going on here.

I'm BVest1121 on 360 if anyone is ever looking for a game.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #1103
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I didn't find the final boss battle to be extraordinarily difficult - I actually got through the first time without dying and having to re-start, unlike many other levels in the game. Took a while (it takes a lot to kill him), but I was able to get it first time out.

Not saying it's easy, but there are workable strategies to win that level.

Only died one time on that one. As it turns out the guy on the train gave me MUCH more trouble. It wasn't quick but stay away from him enough and it's not frustration inducing like the train guy was.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #1104
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I was thinking the same think CleBrowns. I'm wondering if we could get a steady game going on here.

I'm BVest1121 on 360 if anyone is ever looking for a game.

I'd be in, I'm on the fence on which system to get this for. A couple of my buddies from back home are going to get it on PS3 but I enjoy gaming on the 360 far better for some reason.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #1105
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've never played the single player mode of a CoD game for more than 10 minutes total. I'm not even certain I'll bother doing that much this time. CoD is all about the multiplayer.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #1106
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am buying it for MP, otherwise I would just rent the game. I still play MP on COD:World at War, almost every night lately. I took about 3-4 months off and fell back into it big time a couple months ago. I will still play it a little after MW2 comes out even, because I want to get to the 10th prestige level, which I am just short of right now.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #1107
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It surprises me a little bit that people are so excited about Modern Warfare 2. Playing online is fun and all but the single player is unbelievably short based on early reviews. I guess most people care more about playing online than I do.

The first one had pretty short single player, as does every CoD. I buy them because I will generally play through them at least twice. And with the previous Modern Warfare, I played some of the missions many times. I can't count how many times I played the mission where you are in the plane and shooting down to the ground.

So even if the SP mode is 6 hours, I'll still get at least 20 out of it. More if they have missions that are as fun as the one I mentioned.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #1108
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't know if this comment is to be funny, or if you haven't played anything with a mouse/keyboard? I just thought most people would prefer a mouse/keyboard given the option. I can't play FPS games at all on console, the control lost in my opinion is brutal.

Completely serious. For any action game I prefer a controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
But could you imagine playing a Civ or RTS game with a mouse and keyboard?

I'm sure a game like Civ is better with a mouse and keyboard. But those aren't really my kind of games.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #1109
JS19
College Prospect

Is this standard operating procedure? I finally decided to pick up Fight Night Round 4 (for PS3), and it was only $40. Whenever I buy a game, I buy it pretty much when it first comes out, so I'm used to paying the $60. I had no idea the price of games dropped the longer they were out.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #1110
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Is this standard operating procedure? I finally decided to pick up Fight Night Round 4 (for PS3), and it was only $40. Whenever I buy a game, I buy it pretty much when it first comes out, so I'm used to paying the $60. I had no idea the price of games dropped the longer they were out.

Yeah, there are entire sites/forums (cheapassgamer.com for example) dedicated to people saving money on games. If you can wait a few months you can find most games for $10-20 bucks off somewhere (unless Nintendo publishes it, their games hardly ever drop in price which is frustrating).

edit: Only one more week until the new Mario game comes out, it should be awesome. It's probably the last game I get this year, between that, FM 2010, and FIFA 10 I'll be all set for a few months.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-09-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #1111
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have it. Got to the closest Walmart at about 11:45 and there were twelve guys in line, twenty-four by the time they started selling them. Got the basic game, see you guys when I crawl out of my hole.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #1112
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Out of my hole for a second. As expected, loving this game. Solo play is good, done 4 or 5 missions. MP is fricking great and judging by the 73000 guys on at 3:40 AM central time playing this game I would say its a bit of a big seller so far. Highest number I can remember seeing on WaW was 30-35000 (PS3 by the way, 360 is probably has even more on right now).

Last edited by Cringer : 11-10-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #1113
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Good first 7 hour round of playing. Off for some sleep so I can dedicate some more time to this game. SpecOps missions seem to be pretty cool as well as the solo and MP play. They made a damn good game.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #1114
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I wonder how many man-hours of labor are being lost today due to people being *cough* sick *cough*.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #1115
Kodos
Resident Alien

"I feel like somebody dropped a bomb on me, boss."
Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #1116
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Ultra-Realistic Modern Warfare Game Features Awaiting Orders, Repairing Trucks
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #1117
Calis
College Starter

Am I the only person who gets excited reading gaming stuff that mentions MW2 because they immediately translate that to Mechwarrior 2?

Then I'm disappointed when I realize it is Call of Duty. I've somehow managed to never get into these games, just not my style I guess.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #1118
DataKing
Pro Rookie

My brain does the automatic MW = MechWarrior translation as well, but then I quickly bring myself back to reality.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1119
hoopsguy
General Manager

Ran into about three hours of "one more thing to do" playing Torchlight last night. I'm up to about Level 19 with my character, and so far think that I'm getting good value out of the game for $20.

I'm interested to see how much replay value this one has a just a single-player game that has considerably fewer character decisions (at face value, anyway) than Titan Quest.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #1120
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Ran into about three hours of "one more thing to do" playing Torchlight last night. I'm up to about Level 19 with my character, and so far think that I'm getting good value out of the game for $20.

I'm interested to see how much replay value this one has a just a single-player game that has considerably fewer character decisions (at face value, anyway) than Titan Quest.

I think this one will really live or die by the mod community. The tools should be out any day now and supposedly you can mod just about anything, going so far as to create new spells, skills, and therefor classes. All the obvious stuff as well like levels, items, and mobs.

If some people get together and put some class packs together I can see this one sticking around a long time.

Depends on how much of a pain the mod tools are, but the little I've read has impressed me.

Outstanding game for 20 bucks either way though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #1121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Am I the only person who gets excited reading gaming stuff that mentions MW2 because they immediately translate that to Mechwarrior 2?

Then I'm disappointed when I realize it is Call of Duty. I've somehow managed to never get into these games, just not my style I guess.

Isn't there a new Mechwarrior game in the works? I thought I read something about it and even watched a trailer for it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #1122
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Isn't there a new Mechwarrior game in the works? I thought I read something about it and even watched a trailer for it.

MechWarrior (reboot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the "Legal troubles" section. It looks like the old conflict between BattleTech and RoboTech is rearing it's ugly head once again.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #1123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tonight I will crawl into my MW2 hole.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #1124
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Tonight I will crawl into my MW2 hole.

+1. Picked it up last night but it is sitting there, unopened, waiting for me to get home.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #1125
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

My gamertag on 360 is LicensedDwarf. Looking for some good dudes to play with
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #1126
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
As a teacher, I know many kids missed today because of it and I find it to be insane that parents would let high school kids skip school to play a damn video game.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #1127
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
As a teacher, I know many kids missed today because of it and I find it to be insane that parents would let high school kids skip school to play a damn video game.

Yeah, what kind of parents are these.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #1128
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it's worse that everyone is going to spend Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day shooting the shit out of each other online. Last year was worse when they released WaW right on 11/11, but a day early isn't much better.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #1129
SnowMan
High School Varsity

We all know how involved and caring many parents are these days!
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #1130
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think it's worse that everyone is going to spend Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day shooting the shit out of each other online. Last year was worse when they released WaW right on 11/11, but a day early isn't much better.

Eh, it's only a day early because it's a Tuesday release and the rotation of the calendar pushes any specific day of the month a day later in the week from year to year - two days on a leap year.

And, yeah, they probably could've just released it on 11/11 this year, but it seems like the gaming industry is shifting to line their releases up with movies/music. It seems like more and more new gaming releases are coming in to work with Tuesday street dates, rather than the more traditional "sell 'em if you got 'em unless we've specified a hard street date."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #1131
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Eh, it's only a day early because it's a Tuesday release and the rotation of the calendar pushes any specific day of the month a day later in the week from year to year - two days on a leap year.

And, yeah, they probably could've just released it on 11/11 this year, but it seems like the gaming industry is shifting to line their releases up with movies/music. It seems like more and more new gaming releases are coming in to work with Tuesday street dates, rather than the more traditional "sell 'em if you got 'em unless we've specified a hard street date."

I think he means that it's kind of weird/disrespectful to honour those that fought for us by releasing a war game for others to kill each other in.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #1132
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Any of these very popular video games should street date on a Saturday. No real reason to create a scenerio for a kid to miss school the next day. Nike/Jordan Brand realized this a long time ago.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #1133
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think he means that it's kind of weird/disrespectful to honour those that fought for us by releasing a war game for others to kill each other in.

You can argue it either way, I guess.

"Disrespectful to release a war game on Veterans' Day," versus what I'm sure is Activision's line of "Release a game that shows people what our servicemen and women do for this country every day, to make them more aware of why we ought to remember them."

I guess I fall into the line of thought that, well, this is Activision's biggest release of the year, so of course it's going to fall into the two-month window leading up to Christmas. The nature of our country's history is such that there are all kinds of militarily important dates during those two months. 11/10 - the birthday of the United States Marine Corps. 11/11 - Veterans' Day. 12/7 - Pearl Harbor day. 12/25 - Washington crosses the Delaware River.

I guess it boils down to whether one specific day is less appropriate for a game's release than another.

Last edited by SackAttack : 11-10-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #1134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Any of these very popular video games should street date on a Saturday. No real reason to create a scenerio for a kid to miss school the next day. Nike/Jordan Brand realized this a long time ago.

Just playing devil's advocate here but is it really the video game company's job to worry that kids are going to miss school to play their game?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #1135
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Sorry, I'm not going to put that one on the publishers.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an M-rated title. It is not meant for consumption by schoolchildren. That some parents/relatives/complete strangers are willing to buy the game for those children does not mean that it is Activision's duty to, on the one hand, release a game not intended for that audience, but on the other, schedule that release in such a way that it winks and nods at the fact that said audience will be playing it.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1136
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You can argue it either way, I guess.

"Disrespectful to release a war game on Veterans' Day," versus what I'm sure is Activision's line of "Release a game that shows people what our servicemen and women do for this country every day, to make them more aware of why we ought to remember them."

I guess I fall into the line of thought that, well, this is Activision's biggest release of the year, so of course it's going to fall into the two-month window leading up to Christmas. The nature of our country's history is such that there are all kinds of militarily important dates during those two years. 11/10 - the birthday of the United States Marine Corps. 11/11 - Veterans' Day. 12/7 - Pearl Harbor day. 12/25 - Washington crosses the Delaware River.

I guess it boils down to whether one specific day is less appropriate for a game's release than another.

Not to mention:

Activision Donates $1M on Game's Launch Day To Help Vets - Call of duty: modern warfare - Kotaku
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #1137
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I also think that this game does more to make you stop and think about why you're home from school on veteran's day than anything I saw growing up.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #1138
spleen1015
Coordinator

Or you could differentiate the 2 and just not worry about the GAME.

It doesn't matter what they play tomorrow. They're still not going to give a fuck why they have the day off. They just know it's a day off of school.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #1139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I checked out at noon to watch the ACC basketball tournament on TV every year I was in HS.

edit to add: Meanwhile, I don't think I've ever known of anyone being out of school on Veteran's Day. We never were at least & my son has never been.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #1140
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I checked out at noon to watch the ACC basketball tournament on TV every year I was in HS.

I went to school twice on ACC Quarterfinal Friday from 3rd grade to 12th. I remember both days vividly, not because I learned a damn thing in them. In 1989 I was in the 6th grade, I remember sneaking out my Walkman to listen to Maryland upset NC State, the first time an 8 seed ever beat a 1 seed in the tournament IIRC. My junior year of high school all three classes I had after lunchtime just turned on the TV's that were installed in every classroom and allowed the students to read or work on homework or watch the game.

Every other year I was "sick" that day.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #1141
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I also think that this game does more to make you stop and think about why you're home from school on veteran's day than anything I saw growing up.

Really? Glorified violence and getting points and levels for shooting other people in death matches makes you think more than, oh, I don't know, seeing 85 year-old men crying over wreathes respecting their fallen brother's, son's, etc? Really? That's sad.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #1142
MJ4H
Coordinator

Weird that people don't go to school on Veterans' Day. At my school, it is one of the most important days of the year. We invite all veterans to the school and put on a huge production in their honor. It is always a very big deal. I'm all for vacation days, but I'm glad we do this instead of just get a day off.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #1143
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Weird that people don't go to school on Veterans' Day. At my school, it is one of the most important days of the year. We invite all veterans to the school and put on a huge production in their honor. It is always a very big deal. I'm all for vacation days, but I'm glad we do this instead of just get a day off.

I think you should explain to your school board that you'd learn far more about war by staying home and playing Call of Duty. Then maybe kick a vet in the shin on your way out.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #1144
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The NV goggles in the WM2 bundle actually aren't too bad. I was able to walk around my backyard with them and they worked pretty well. But then I remembered that I had an infrared spotlight. Got that bad boy out, and I could see stuff a couple of hundred feet away. There is no depth perception though, so it is a bit tricky at first to walk around with them.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-10-2009 at 10:55 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #1145
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure as a kid I had Veteran's Day off of school every year.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #1146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The NV goggles in the WM2 bundle actually aren't too bad. I was able to walk around my backyard with them and they worked pretty well. But then I remembered that I had an infrared spotlight. Got that bad boy out, and I could see stuff a couple of hundred feet away. There is no depth perception though, so it is a bit tricky at first to walk around with them.

Please tell me you're going to go snooping on Tom Cochoran.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #1147
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think you should explain to your school board that you'd learn far more about war by staying home and playing Call of Duty. Then maybe kick a vet in the shin on your way out.

I'm a disabled vet. My wife has done a tour in Iraq on top of that and very well could be going for a 2nd time in April.

Anyone who has a problem with people playing Modern Warfare 2 on veteran's day is completely out of touch with today's society. If you think that somehow equates to disrespecting anyone then I can only assume you're the type of person that goes out looking for things to offend you.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #1148
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

I've lived in school districts with military families for the past 11-12 years. Typically the district finds a way to give the kids memorial day off whether it's just a day off for teacher training or conference or whatever.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #1149
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If anyone wants to watch me die over and over I'm on XBL as Reign78 from time to time.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #1150
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

COD MW 2 is quite a thrill ride!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote