Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #1101
bhlloy
Coordinator

I jacked up the difficulty a notch (didn't even know that option was there until I dug around the menu for it) and I died a couple times for the first time in forever clearing out a bandit hideout, so that's better. I had kind of put the game down for a while because it felt way too easy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #1102
Landshark44
High School Varsity

how do i re-charge a sword on the PS3....?

i can't seem to figure it out, even after reading the "how-to" on wiki...

and a courier brought me a letter from a "friend"...

how do i read it?

Last edited by Landshark44 : 12-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #1103
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
how do i re-charge a sword on the PS3....?

i can't seem to figure it out, even after reading the "how-to" on wiki...

and a courier brought me a letter from a "friend"...

how do i read it?

If you go to the sword in your Weapons menu there should be button to hit to use a soul gem on it, should you have a filled one.

The letter from a friend will be under your books in inventory.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #1104
Landshark44
High School Varsity

ok, thanks..
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #1105
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

What am I missing here, about pure mage combat?

Conjuration would be my short answer. Get an atronach in the mix, or reanimate a corpse, etc.

You need something else to take the heat off you and just cause chaos IMHO.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #1106
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I took on the "laid to rest" quest, where you have to kill the master vampire. I've tried to kill him 30 times, to no avail....I give up, and would like to move on to something else, but this guy thonnir keeps following me everywhere, because he really wants me to kill this vampire....

how do i get rid of this fool (thonnir) ????? i know the answer is to finish this quest, but that vampire kicks my ass every time....is there another way?

Last edited by Landshark44 : 12-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #1107
Drake
assmaster

Can't you lure Thonnir into the cave and then just...um, let fate decide what happens to him while you slink in the shadows?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #1108
frnk55
High School Varsity

Dragons are fucking annoying! Just like those cliff things in Morrowind. That's about all I got to complain about. I have now 90 hours into it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #1109
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I took on the "laid to rest" quest, where you have to kill the master vampire. I've tried to kill him 30 times, to no avail....I give up, and would like to move on to something else, but this guy thonnir keeps following me everywhere, because he really wants me to kill this vampire....

how do i get rid of this fool (thonnir) ????? i know the answer is to finish this quest, but that vampire kicks my ass every time....is there another way?

I killed the vampires by hiding in the shadows and shooting them with arrows from the ledge overlooking the main room. Doing that with someone running out and giving you away sounds a bit more complicated.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #1110
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #1111
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

About time to start a mining company. Tonight I found one mine with 54 gold and another with 48 ebony.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #1112
chinaski
College Prospect

Just bought an insane Alienware laptop so I could play this on Ultra. I have a problem...
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #1113
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
About time to start a mining company. Tonight I found one mine with 54 gold and another with 48 ebony.

Was curious about this, do you get approached to invest in a business or is it a quest?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #1114
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Any update on mods y'all are using? All I have going is the ore visibility one at the moment.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #1115
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Was curious about this, do you get approached to invest in a business or is it a quest?

Neither that I know of, I was just making a comment on my mining luck.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #1116
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
This is great.

As someone who hasn't played many RPGs over the last 20 years and prefers to just hack and slash my way through them, I'll make what might be an unpopular statement: Skyrim is set up to be sneak-friendly in such a ridiculous way that it becomes distracting.

I mean, it's cool that there's more than one way to play and I get the sense that 90% of players are using sneak characters, but at some point the complete cluelessness of everyone in the entire world gets a little silly, doesn't it?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #1117
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Neither that I know of, I was just making a comment on my mining luck.

I just wondered because in your stats area there is a line that indicates business' invested in. I will have to research this a bit more.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #1118
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's a perk in the speech line. You can invest in businesses so they'll have more money available when you sell goods. Given the absurd amount of money I already have and nothing worth spending it on I don't see the need to ever invest in that perk line.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #1119
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's a perk in the speech line. You can invest in businesses so they'll have more money available when you sell goods. Given the absurd amount of money I already have and nothing worth spending it on I don't see the need to ever invest in that perk line.

Found and I agree, doesn't seem like a must have perk once you get to a certain point. I do pretty well with my equipment bonuses to selling/buying.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1120
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I got it downloaded, man that's a huge game - by far the largest install of any single piece of software on my PC. Started it up and it put the details at High, which is nice (justifying all the work I put into building my PC last year).

After changing some of the controls to what I am used, I watched the first level on IGN to get a feel for the game. Interface will take getting used to but from what I saw, I love the "realness" of escaping through the town, castle, tunnels and caverns. That right there is already better than the cookie-cutter dungeons of Oblivion.

After reading up on the races (aspect of a game I've always hated), it looks like I would chose a Breton or one of the elves to be a powerful mage?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #1121
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I got it downloaded, man that's a huge game - by far the largest install of any single piece of software on my PC. Started it up and it put the details at High, which is nice (justifying all the work I put into building my PC last year).

Wow, I was surprised at how small the download was.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #1122
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Wow, I was surprised at how small the download was.

You're right. I guess I hadn't checked other games since the advent of Steam. It looks like Civ5 is about the same size and Mafia 2 was nearly 8gb. I was probably also influenced by how long it took to download today. So, nevermind.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #1123
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Still thinking. Should I buy skyrim now that it's on sale on steam? Or wait for a cheaper version later?

Was hoping to play it on ps3 really. Have a good laptop but it's a laptop and doesn't handle heat well
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #1124
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Disappointing event...

Spoiler
Old 12-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #1125
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

a sign i've been playing too much skyrim:

for the past 2 mornings just as i am waking up, the first thing i see is that little eyeball you see in-game when sneaking around. the eyball is open to begin, then closes slowly. just as it closes completely - i wake up.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #1126
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Now that I'm on break, finally getting into this. Up to level 8 after day 1 of play. At the college in Winterhold. Loving this game.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #1127
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I just got Skyrim for Christmas (PS3), and goofed around with it a little this afternoon. Before I dive in for serious, any tips for things I should do or avoid? Anything seem underpowered? I typically play a ranger/thief type, sneaking and shooting arrows at people.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #1128
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wow. Almost done with Act 1 (clearing out the Barrow now, have to get the Horn of something). The interface took a little getting used to. Amazing Nordic-like world. Still not enough things along the long paths. Like climbing the 7000 steps. Came across one wolf and one troll. Took while to find the right combination and eventually settled on double fire when I felt confident that could kill things given my magicka amount. All the quests, so far, have been very easy as far as what to do and where to go; just follow simple instructions. Big caves, not much too them as long as one doesn't rush through openings. At least caves are not cookie-cutter dungeons. Skyrim is a million times better than Oblivion but that's not saying anything. Got three fulls days to play so we'll so how far we'll get.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #1129
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Like climbing the 7000 steps. Came across one wolf and one troll.

That's pretty unusual. Every time I've gone up them, I had to fight several wolves, at least one ice wrath and the Ice Troll.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #1130
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Like climbing the 7000 steps. Came across one wolf and one troll.

I wonder if some of this is because some of us have leveled up some before we've climbed the Throat of the World, so the pathway is harder. If you go straight off, there may not be as much?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #1131
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think leveling has something to do with it. I am not pleased at how strong the NPC companions are. I came out of the first main quest (Unbound) with exactly 0 points because the NPC took care of everything. Now with Lydia with me and her great archery skills, I struggle to get points to my level. Also it doesn't tell me how many points I'm getting for anything (kills or quests), which I find unusual for an aa/rpg game. As I said, I am in the Barrow with Lydia when I came back down the mountain on the (long) way to the Horn quest, and I am at the start of Level 5. Am I supposed to be much further along than that?

As far as level points, I put 20 into magic and 20 into endurance. However, I find the perks thing very confusing. I simply don't like the "constellations" layout and would prefer to see a simple matrix. So I don't have a good feel of my goals there. For example, in 1-hander, I can step that up to 5/5 but I also can go up the chain if I have 25 (or 30). Do I complete one before moving or can I simply move up if I have the points? Also, as a mage, what does novice/apprentice/etc. have to do with anything? What would the College of something do to help with that? Finally, are there no strengths attributes tied to swords and stuff? I mean, I can use any sword that I find? I keep looking for the ability to wield a better sword (or magic or etc.) or to know if I can wield such a thing.

Addendum: I thought my first dragon fight (at the west tower) was awesome. Took a few tries to realize the dragon was beatable and that there was a pattern to his flying/landings. And to get out in front of the NPCs so I could claim the kill. Then I did over again a few times because it was really cool, esp. using double fire.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-26-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #1132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As I said, I am in the Barrow with Lydia when I came back down the mountain on the (long) way to the Horn quest, and I am at the start of Level 5. Am I supposed to be much further along than that?

IIRC you're doing the mountain earlier than most folks did.

Quote:
For example, in 1-hander, I can step that up to 5/5 but I also can go up the chain if I have 25 (or 30). Do I complete one before moving or can I simply move up if I have the points?

You can move up once something up the chain unlocks. The decision is whether you'd have the boost from the lesser one or the higher one.

Quote:
Also, as a mage, what does novice/apprentice/etc. have to do with anything? What would the College of something do to help with that?

Those are, as far as I can tell, simply the nomenclature for the level needed to use that spell. I don't even worry about the levels per se, simply a matter of whether I've got sufficient magicka to wield said spell or not. I haven't run into a case where I had enough magicka but couldn't cast the spell because of any sort of level pre-req or anything like that.

Quote:
Finally, are there no strengths attributes tied to swords and stuff? I mean, I can use any sword that I find? I keep looking for the ability to wield a better sword (or magic or etc.) or to know if I can wield such a thing.

As you level up, the swords will get better based on material. You aren't likely to find, say, ebony at level 5 but by level 40 it's reasonably common. The loot dropped by NPC as well as the quality/type of item found in shapes basically levels up with you.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #1133
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks Jon, that helps.

How was I not supposed to go the mountain when I did? In the first town, I got the gold claw then that sister said to talk to the Jarl, which I did. Then I killed the dragon and then I was told the greybeards summoned me. It was nothing to the Voice quests so far, it's not like I should/could not have done it. What I am missing?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #1134
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks Jon, that helps.

How was I not supposed to go the mountain when I did? In the first town, I got the gold claw then that sister said to talk to the Jarl, which I did. Then I killed the dragon and then I was told the greybeards summoned me. It was nothing to the Voice quests so far, it's not like I should/could not have done it. What I am missing?

Hey Bucc, you can do the main quest whenever you want, like you said the game makes it seem urgent you go see the Greybeards right away. But you can hold off on it and do the ton of side quests from Whiterun or just off and explore for a bit if you want. This gets your level up and makes it more likely you can handle the main quest when you eventually get to the greybeards.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #1135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I am missing?

I think it might be described as something like "getting your feet wet" or "exploring".

Don't get me wrong, following the main quest makes sense ... perhaps everywhere except in a Bethesda universe.

I'll give you some idea of what I mean: I'm a level 37 (or something like that), I'm still only like one or two steps past the Greybeards mountain hike on the main quest line. Meanwhile I've got something like 30 miscellaneous quest tasks to choose from and that's before you count the roughly two dozen full-on sidequests (ones that have multiple steps) that are open at the moment.

The last thing on my mind has been the main questline, and I think I'm probably fairly typical in that regard.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #1136
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It doesn't seem to be an impedence to continuing on with the main quests since I am able to handle all of them (so far) without any problems using flames and a firebolt, and I can stay on the destruction path. The thing I want to do though is get to the college and see what quests they have - probably after I get the horn.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #1137
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, following the main quest makes sense ... perhaps everywhere except in a Bethesda universe.

I won't even say that it doesn't make sense in a Bethesda universe, exactly.

More like the main quest is there to give a sense of purpose to the game. But, y'know, you don't HAVE to save the world right away. Or, really, at all.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #1138
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lemme give you the last physical key to re-setting your questing tendencies, Bucc:

I think you're using PC, so I can't tell you the exact controls, unfortunately, as I'm on a 360. When you find your quest list/log, the 'active' quest will have a teeny/tiny arrow next to it to indicate that it is active. You can have more than one quest active, but ALL of your active quests will also show up marked with an arrow in your compass. Selecting quests from within your quest list/log will toggle whether they are considered active (and therefore marked on your compass) or not, and I think if you don't have a quest active when you accept another quest, that one immediately becomes active.

It's always a good idea (in my opinion) to only have a single quest active, so that you can see where you have to head on your compass, and don't get confused by multiple arrows.....but that management has to be done manually and pretty actively (depending on how good/bad you are at accepting quests). As others have said, there is literally NO timing/urgency/order to how you approach any of the quests, you can wander off in the middle of the main quest tree for 60 hours, before returning to finish it off, if that's how you want to do it.

Also, in your quest log/list, when you have a quest highlighted, there should be a button to press that will show you where your destination is located on the map, which can be helpful to know how far/close you are to certain quests. You can also fast travel to any location that you have already been to, from within the map (which is never as obvious as it should be to new players, IMO).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-26-2011 at 05:09 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #1139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be an impedence to continuing on with the main quests since I am able to handle all of them (so far) without any problems using flames and a firebolt, and I can stay on the destruction path. The thing I want to do though is get to the college and see what quests they have - probably after I get the horn.

Having finished the mage college questline, I'll say that it was one of the more enjoyable ones I've played through in a while. YMMV of course, but one of the steps in particular (a very long one) was a darned good night of gaming for me, the kind that really stood out as memorably enjoyable (if that makes sense).
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #1140
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I think it might be described as something like "getting your feet wet" or "exploring".

Except it's typical Elder Scrolls emptiness. Not all points have to be tied in quests and caves. One should be able to explore such a vast world on their own and get points that way. For example, I went the whole way to the burial mound with Delphine and along the way, we encountered 2 bandits, 3 wolves and 1 assassin. I love exploring geography (as undiverse as it is) but if the world is empty, then what's the point?

Quote:
Having finished the mage college questline, I'll say that it was one of the more enjoyable ones I've played through in a while. YMMV of course, but one of the steps in particular (a very long one) was a darned good night of gaming for me, the kind that really stood out as memorably enjoyable (if that makes sense).

Does it help with being a mage apart from providing more points for leveling?

thesloppy: Thanks.

By the way, because some of the keys are bugged (like E and R - no conflict with anything else), I just completed the quest where you have to steal the documents when at the party - the hard way. I couldn't give anything to Malborn so all I had was my magic (fortunately) and a lot of sprinting. Made it frustrating but did figure out that the escape was through the dungeon.

I guess in the end, this is by far the best Elder Scrolls game but not something I would want to invest a lot of time into.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #1141
SackAttack
Head Coach

I guess I don't understand what you mean by 'points for leveling.'

Did you read my description of the levelling system the game uses? This is not typical 'kill shit, get XP' levelling. Your level increase is dependent almost entirely on what you do, not what you kill.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #1142
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I guess I don't understand what you mean by 'points for leveling.'

Did you read my description of the levelling system the game uses? This is not typical 'kill shit, get XP' levelling. Your level increase is dependent almost entirely on what you do, not what you kill.

No, I missed that, which page?

Are you saying that killing things (except if quest related) is a waste of time?!? I wish the game tells me when I am getting points (or not).
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #1143
Qrusher14242
High School JV

When you hit a guy with a two handed sword, it can make your 2 handed skill go up. If you do it enough, the two-handed skill goes up to the next level. It works that way for all weapons,magic, alchemy etc. Every time you level a skill up, you gain experience towards a Character level-up(your overall level). Eventually you will go to the next level after leveling up skills a number of times.

Here's a page that explains it:

Skyrim:Leveling - UESPWiki

Last edited by Qrusher14242 : 12-26-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #1144
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
When you hit a guy with a two handed sword, it can make your 2 handed skill go up. If you do it enough, the two-handed skill goes up to the next level. It works that way for all weapons,magic, alchemy etc. Every time you level a skill up, you gain experience towards a Character level-up(your overall level). Eventually you will go to the next level after leveling up skills a number of times.

Here's a page that explains it:

Skyrim:Leveling - UESPWiki

Ok, that makes sense, I knew that. Points toward skills (i.e., Destruction) is not in the kill but in the method you used to kill. Points toward leveling is done by completing quests (or by reading or by other things, I think).
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #1145
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are you saying that killing things (except if quest related) is a waste of time?!? I wish the game tells me when I am getting points (or not).

Nope, essentially you're 'skills' only go up with use....but for many of the combat skills (archery, weapons, armor, magic) 'use' only happens against an active/enemy target, so killing stuff will definitely affect your skills...just indirectly rather than directly. The use is what's driving your skill improvement, and the context of the target (including whether it lives or dies) is irrelevant.

Additionally, your leveling is dictated strictly by getting a certain number of skill improvements (a lesser number of improvements are required at lower levels), and nothing else. E.G. I think it takes 5 skill improvements to advance a level, in the very beginning (and now that I'm 50th level it takes somewhere closer to 20...at least according to my imagination). You can also get skill improvements from reading certain books, or getting training from particular NPCs (for a monetary fee).

As such, you can level pretty easily strictly by relying on combat....but you could also level pretty easily (at least in the beginning) by avoiding combat entirely and focusing on skills like smithing, sneaking, or speech. What you don't get is any kind of experience points, for killing anything, or completing any quests (although some quest givers will reward you with training in a skill).

....and I shoulda known that my explanation would be redundant, by the time my stubby little fingers were done typing.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #1146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Except it's typical Elder Scrolls emptiness. Not all points have to be tied in quests and caves. One should be able to explore such a vast world on their own and get points that way. For example, I went the whole way to the burial mound with Delphine and along the way, we encountered 2 bandits, 3 wolves and 1 assassin. I love exploring geography (as undiverse as it is) but if the world is empty, then what's the point?

If anything, I'm running into more random encounters than (I feel) necessary as I go from place to place, and that's with fast traveling to as many locations as possible. The areas between towns are largely wilderness, they aren't designed to be heavily populated, so the number of encounters make sense to me.

Quote:
Does it help with being a mage apart from providing more points for leveling?

I think this has probably already been answered by the more general comments about how leveling works in SR but just in case, my answer would be no, not really. I'm sure I gained more experience in the magic categories outside of that quest line than within it. There's a couple of things during the line that require you to use magic but otherwise nothing particular that would level you any more than any other quest, it's just a matter of what you use.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #1147
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
No, I missed that, which page?

No, not at all. It's just that any kind of bonus you might get for the kill is, unlike many other RPGs, far less relevant than what you're getting for active use of your various skills. Buy/sell enough stuff, and speech improves, giving you a boost to the next level. Get hit enough, your armor use improves. Cast a healing spell enough, that class of magic improves.

So on.

Basically, everything you do contributes to your progress. For me, the decision between companion or not companion isn't so much in kill-stealing as it is in 'will this companion rush in and pick a fight when I'm being stealthy, or get their ass killed while carrying all kinds of heavy shit and make me have to make three trips to rescue all the loot?'

I don't worry about kill stealing, because, really, as long as I'm hitting targets with my attacks, I still benefit.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #1148
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

Just as a bit of friendly advice - don't loot dragon corpses until you collect their souls. Otherwise, the soul collection never triggers and instead of a giant dragon skeleton lying around, it's a giant dragon corpse. You can still use the bones to make armor and collect the other stuff, but you won't get the soul.

At least, I *think* that's what just happened to me.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #1149
Buccaneer
Head Coach

[random thoughts]

I am just used to having to travel to a distant city/quest and needing to get 2-3 levels stronger along the way. Not only killing many creatures but in doing quests along the way. A farmer would want me to clear his fields out of creatures; a ranger would want be to find and get rid of a pack of wolves; and someone would want me to clear out a bandits camp or a cave. In this game, I have done all of those things but to no advantage (except for a few points in leveling a skill or two) because no one wanted any of those things done.

I understand how skill and character points work but with a fairly empty world, I don't even get to use my destruction skills all that much. And from what Jon said, even the mage college won't help all that much.

I have completed exactly half of the main quests and I am at level 8. That's probably going to catch up with me soon but with faithful, hot, powerful Lydia always still at my side, she'll help. Now if I can get others that supposed to be in our group to stay together...but that's too much to ask for.

I am a little ticked at how some of the controls/keys are borked. Not only could I not give anything to Malborn but giving the silver ring to that elf was problematic. Tried every key until the space worked (which is only mapped to jump). The on-screen message said to use R (or E) - that has never worked. Bad port from the console?

I am still using the same armor I got right at the beginning of the game, haven't found anything stronger. Kind of cheesy to have gotten such a powerful set that early.

Food is meaningless, apparently. Plenty of potions everywhere for healing, magic and endurance.

I have about 5000 gold. What am I saving gold to buy?

Josh, both dragons I have killed I have gotten their soul...somehow. Not sure what for, even though I do have the Shout thing but haven't used them at all yet (except to get by one booby-trap).

I really do like the attention to detail paid to the medieval Norwegian/Scandanavian architecture. Much better and more realistic buildings that what I recall from the previous two disasters. I also love the aspens forest, reminds me of home here in Colorado.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #1150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In this game, I have done all of those things but to no advantage (except for a few points in leveling a skill or two) because no one wanted any of those things done.

But there are plenty of other things (including those sorts of things) people want done, I'm guessing that you've been so focused on the main questline that you've missed them.

Quote:
I don't even get to use my destruction skills all that much. And from what Jon said, even the mage college won't help all that much.

That's largely up to you though, it depends upon whether you use destruction magic to kill X,Y, and Z. I've gained 3-4 levels per dungeon IF I focused on using D-magic in combat.

Quote:
I have completed exactly half of the main quests and I am at level 8. That's probably going to catch up with me soon but with faithful, hot, powerful Lydia always still at my side, she'll help.

In some cases, keeping Lydia alive can become quite a challenge. In the low levels she's a beast, but unless you're raising your smithing in order to improve her equipment as you level up (and many opponents level with you), then you're either going to be reloading or harvesting her body.

Quote:
I am still using the same armor I got right at the beginning of the game, haven't found anything stronger. Kind of cheesy to have gotten such a powerful set that early.

Unless you've got something rather odd, then it isn't the armor that's overpowered, it's that the creatures are still underpowered. Then again, level 8 isn't very far along & I don't recall having much trouble that early. The reason you haven't found anything better is two-fold, a function of both still being low level (therefore you aren't encountering better equipped humanoid opponents) and I at least suspect it's because you aren't smithing much, which allows you the opportunity to create better armor.

Quote:
Food is meaningless, apparently. Plenty of potions everywhere for healing, magic and endurance.

For me, as a dedicated alchemist, potions are definitely the way to go. For my son (as an example), he's fairly dependent upon food to survive extended combat since he produces few potions of his own.

Quote:
I have about 5000 gold. What am I saving gold to buy?

Houses are the primary big expense but the cash outlay for smithing gets up there too. Other main expense categories would be training, spells, and occasionally equipment (for example if you're looking to obtain an item in order to disenchant it to learn the spell).

Quote:
Josh, both dragons I have killed I have gotten their soul...somehow. Not sure what for, even though I do have the Shout thing but haven't used them at all yet (except to get by one booby-trap).

I've got considerably more souls than I've found words (takes one soul in order to be able to use each word that you find). That's because my path has taken me near very few words so far (most are hidden within certain dungeons).