Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This whole Sanjaya thing is turning the competition int a mockery

Concur, what a joke he is.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #1102
JeeberD
General Manager

Sad to see Sligh go, but not surprised. Guess I need to go check out K's link now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #1103
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
There is no way Idol allows him to win. If suckjaya wins, American Idol pretty much signed their death warrant. People that watch it wanting the best performer or singer to win will pretty much view the show as a joke.

I don't think he'll make it once we get down to around 5-7 contestants. The proportion of people voting "for real" will start dwarfing those that aren't.

But if by some miracle from God he makes it into the top 2, he'll win because when the audience doubles with the people who are watching just because it's the finale (and maybe even triples if there's enough Sanjaya pub), they'll all be voting for him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #1104
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I agree with Logan. At the moment, while it's clear that Suckjaya is the one who should go home, there is still a pool of unworthy candidates who can be picked off without much teeth-gnashing.

The problem for me will come when a Blake or a Jordin or a (it hurts to say this because I hate him) Chris R. get booted off and the Faux-hawked One remains. Last season when Daughtery got the boot, I was pissed, to an extent that I didn't think possible. I had no idea that I carried any emotional investment in this show until he was voted off. To my mind, as a performer, vocalist, and future star, he's the one most akin to Kelly Clarkson, and seeing Taylor Sticks win made me nauseous.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #1105
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Welp....looks like I need to start watching American Idol and start voting for Sanjaya.

I usually tune out as soon as auditions are over (and I watch less of the auditions each season, as it's pretty much become a parody of itself), but I really have a strong desire to this Sanjaya win just because he seems to bum everyone out with his singing. I never hear Top 40 music except for random split-seconds when I'm flipping through channels, so Sanjaya getting a record deal wouldn't pain me.

Go Sanjaya!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #1106
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
I agree with Logan. At the moment, while it's clear that Suckjaya is the one who should go home, there is still a pool of unworthy candidates who can be picked off without much teeth-gnashing.

The problem for me will come when a Blake or a Jordin or a (it hurts to say this because I hate him) Chris R. get booted off and the Faux-hawked One remains. Last season when Daughtery got the boot, I was pissed, to an extent that I didn't think possible. I had no idea that I carried any emotional investment in this show until he was voted off. To my mind, as a performer, vocalist, and future star, he's the one most akin to Kelly Clarkson, and seeing Taylor Sticks win made me nauseous.

I always thought he took a dive. I think he wanted to be free from the Idol chains (first place has to go to a certain record company at a given rate). I think he'd already shown himself to be a big star and winning probably would have been bad for him financially/career freedom wise.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #1107
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Daughtry is still signed with Clive Davis. Anyone in the top 12 is tied to them, at their option. That's why that Mario Vazquez kid quit right before the top 12 was announced a few years ago, because he (mistakenly) thought he would do better on his own.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-28-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #1108
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Daughtry is still signed with Clive Davis. Anyone in the top 12 is tied to them, at their option. That's why that Mario Vazquez kid quit right before the top 12 was announced a few years ago, because he (mistakenly) thought he would do better on his own.

That is what they said about Vasquez, at the time, but I read that he sexually harrassed a male intern and got the boot.

This site is probably work safe, but rather than taking a chance: hxxp://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/american_idol_4/2007_Mar_15_lawyer_mario_forced_out
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #1109
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This whole Sanjaya thing is turning the competition int a mockery

Great. This might finally end this AI frenzy that we've gone throguh the past couple years.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #1110
wade moore
lolzcat

Again I didn't watch, who were the other 2 in the bottom 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #1111
FBPro
College Starter

Phil and Haley.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #1112
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Great. This might finally end this AI frenzy that we've gone throguh the past couple years.

I don't get this attitude. I'm as big a music snob as there is (or so I've been told ), but the music these people make doesn't touch my life in any way, so who cares? It's entertaining TV, and if people want to spend money on music sung by people they've been force fed through a TV show, more power to them. It's not going to change my life in the least.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #1113
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How many "Idols" can you have?

I find it funny the people who are up in arms because people are voting for the kid. Big deal. That's what is great about the system. The people have spoken, he stays.

Waaaaaaa Sanjaya stays, Waaaaaaaaaaaa.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #1114
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
How many "Idols" can you have?

I find it funny the people who are up in arms because people are voting for the kid. Big deal. That's what is great about the system. The people have spoken, he stays.

Waaaaaaa Sanjaya stays, Waaaaaaaaaaaa.

Fwiw, I am in the camp that thinks Sanjaya staying at this point is not a big deal... Like others have said, the people going now weren't going to win anyways... I'll probably start to get upset if he gets in say the top 5 (arbitrary number) against people that I think have a legitimate shot at being successful artists.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #1115
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Fwiw, I am in the camp that thinks Sanjaya staying at this point is not a big deal... Like others have said, the people going now weren't going to win anyways... I'll probably start to get upset if he gets in say the top 5 (arbitrary number) against people that I think have a legitimate shot at being successful artists.

but they'll still be successful artists

it's a show and if sanjaya enterains people so be it. personally I think it's way more interesting with him in.

and I'm a huge Blake fan. I think he's really good but I could care less if he wins or not. he'll still go on the make music.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #1116
Ksyrup

The difference between Gwen Stefani the person and Gwen Stefani the performer is like night and day. The minute she started singing last night, I realized why I hate her so much - her performance is nothing more than faux attitude and an affected voice that annoys the shit out of me. She's the female version of the dude from Green Day. Her voice wasn't even recognizable from how she spoke like a normal person the night before. I admit she probably wouldn't be the performer she is without all the side show stuff, but it comes at a price. Namely, she's impossible to listen to or watch. But I'd very likely enjoy a video of her casually discussing her life as she gets ready for bed...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #1117
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The difference between Gwen Stefani the person and Gwen Stefani the performer is like night and day. The minute she started singing last night, I realized why I hate her so much - her performance is nothing more than faux attitude and an affected voice that annoys the shit out of me. She's the female version of the dude from Green Day. Her voice wasn't even recognizable from how she spoke like a normal person the night before. I admit she probably wouldn't be the performer she is without all the side show stuff, but it comes at a price. Namely, she's impossible to listen to or watch. But I'd very likely enjoy a video of her casually discussing her life as she gets ready for bed...

w0rd.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #1118
Ksyrup

Oh, and I thought it was funny that she performed with a rapper named "a con." At least, that's what this guy told me his name was:

Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #1119
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

That song that Gwen Stefani sang last night sounded like it should be the theme to some 1980s TV show. Also, she's taking this rapper Akon (whom I had never heard of) with her on tour, so he can pop out during this one song and scream "YEEAAAARRGHH!" or whatever he does? And he gets paid for this?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #1120
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
That song that Gwen Stefani sang last night sounded like it should be the theme to some 1980s TV show. Also, she's taking this rapper Akon (whom I had never heard of) with her on tour, so he can pop out during this one song and scream "YEEAAAARRGHH!" or whatever he does? And he gets paid for this?

I think he crunks during some other songs.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #1121
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I think he crunks during some other songs.
Am I to understand that he takes a shit on stage during Gwen Stefani's performance?

Or do I not know what "crunk" means?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #1122
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Am I to understand that he takes a shit on stage during Gwen Stefani's performance?

Or do I not know what "crunk" means?

your not down wit da crunk?

even white boy Benji was down wit da crunk on So You Think You Can Dance.

poser.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #1123
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
your not down wit da crunk?

even white boy Benji was down wit da crunk on So You Think You Can Dance.

poser.
I'm not really much into shitting in public.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #1124
law90026
College Benchwarmer

If it's Akon, he's quite big right now if I recall right.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #1125
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
If it's Akon, he's quite big right now if I recall right.
And my dad always told me that shitting in public wouldn't get me anywhere in life.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #1126
Ksyrup

Akon is the chipmunk guy, if I know my hip-hop/rap (ha!). He's the dork singing like a chipmunk on that "lone-leeeeeey, I'm so lone-leeeeeeeey" song that Disney has on its radio program. I can't change the channel fast enough.

They should call him Acorn.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #1127
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Acorn?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #1128
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Acorn?

Because he sounds like a fucking chipmunk.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #1129
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wait, he raps on a Disney song? And he shits on Gwen Stefani's stage?

And he gets paid for this?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #1130
Ksyrup

I don't think it's a Disney song, because then he'd owe royalties to Chip n' Dale. But they play it on Radio Disney.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-29-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #1131
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

or casually singing without the attitude and affectation.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #1132
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think it's a Disney song, because then he'd owe royalties to Chip n' Dale. But they play it on Radio Disney.
Laff - that's where I remember it from as well.

Doesn't he also sing the kid-friendly "Feelin' Like a Big Dog?"
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #1133
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And he gets paid for this?

Enough to buy a new car I bet.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #1134
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Enough to buy a new car I bet.
Why doesn't he just buy a used car?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #1135
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My friends, you are witnessing the EXTREME EVOLUTION of this thread.

Edit: "EXTREME EVOLUTION" was my nickname in college.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 03-29-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #1136
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
My friends, you are witnessing the EXTREME EVOLUTION of this thread.

Edit: "EXTREME EVOLUTION" was my nickname in college.

bottom line is that the stage shitter is making more than you
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #1137
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
bottom line is that the stage shitter is making more than you
You don't know that.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #1138
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
You don't know that.

I'll bet you a year's supply of crunk he does.

I'd crap on a stage to make his bank.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-29-2007 at 12:58 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #1139
Ksyrup

Can we please step away from the Akon. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #1140
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Can we please step away from the Akon. Thanks.
Are you trying to derail this thread?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #1141
Ksyrup

I'm trying to find a Pumpy post that doesn't reference shitting in public. So please stop talking about Akon and Sanjaya.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #1142
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm trying to find a Pumpy post that doesn't reference shitting in public. So please stop talking about Akon and Sanjaya.

wait, sanjaya shits in public? vote sanjaya early and often.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #1143
Ksyrup

On Tuesdays at 9pm.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #1144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This may not be anything new to Idol regulars, but I thought it was interesting in a I'm-aware-of-the-show-but-have-zero-interest-in-watching-it sort of way.

http://www.myajc.com/post/idolblog/3...opped_out.html
3/29: Chris didn't want to win(UPDATED)
March 29, 2007, 2:16PM EST

Here’s a small revelation Chris Sligh said during the media press conference: after his rendition of “Endless Love” was trashed a couple weeks ago, he considered dropping out. He asked the producers would he be able to stay on tour in the top 10 if he dropped out. They said no. So he stuck with it.

Ultimately, his heart wasn’t in it. He even said out right, he didn’t really want to win.

“I never came into this wanting to win it,” he told me. “I came from an indie alternative rock background. For me, I think winning ‘American Idol’ would have hurt what I was going for.” (Indeed, I think he’s taking cues from Chris Daughtry, who now readily says he’s glad he didn’t win in retrospect.) Tell me if I’m wrong but I think Chris is the first finalist to ever admit not wanting to win it.

He thought his take on the Police’s “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” wasn’t as bad as the judges said. “I really gave my best,” he said. “I admit it wasn’t a great performance this week but it wasn’t terrible.” He added, “That’s the competitive side of me that kicks in.”

And yes, he did win the $50 bet with Phil Stacey about getting voted off (and he did get his cash.) He said he didn’t know it was still live when he said that since Brandon and Stephanie’s farewell songs got cut off before it aired.

He also said he scaled back his mockery of the show after death threats popped up on his blog following his joke with Simon about Teletubbies and Il Divo. “I got scared,” he said.

He noted that he chose songs he liked or felt would challenge him and he wasn’t trying to appease the audience or the judges. “All six songs [he sang on the show] were risks one way or another. I felt like that was ignored [by the judges.]”

And he wished singers could use instruments and would allow original songs. He also wished he could blog during the show, which the producers wouldn’t allow.

He defended Sanjaya. “People underestimate Sanjaya… He has a good voice,” Chris said. “I think he gets a bum rap.”
Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #1145
Critch
lolzcat

So he didn't want to win because it would harm his indie credentials, but he wants to go on the Idol finalists tour. Sounds like he realized he didn't want to win the moment he was voted off to me.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #1146
Ksyrup

Quote:
Honestly, she'd be perfect for a symphonic metal band like Therion. They use real opera singers and such.

Just looking for some way to relate an obvious talent to something I might actually enjoy, that's all!

Hey MJ4H - do you like Sarah Brightman? Well, it turns out she's jumping on the bandwagon and doing a gothic metal album right now. Chloe's next!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #1147
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha. I have heard Sarah Brightman, but if I remember right her wide vibrato is quite off-putting to me. Don't you wackos lay a finger on my Chloe, though!
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #1148
Ksyrup

Not only are ratings down this year, but voting is down quite a bit:

Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #1149
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not only are ratings down this year, but voting is down quite a bit:

Odd drop off at the Top 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #1150
wade moore
lolzcat

KS - where do those numbers come from? How official are they?

Quote: