Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #1101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Thrashers acquired forward Evgeny Artyukhin from Anaheim on Monday night for minor-league defenseman Nathan Oystrick and a conditional draft pick in 2011.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #1102
Galaxy
Coordinator

Lalime to start against Crosby and the Pens tonight (Miller will get a well-deserve night off). And I want to punch ESPN for not understanding hockey (outside of Melrose) and how you can't play your starting goalie every game. When your goalie just played 6 games in 13 days under the global microscope, in addition to playing a lot of games pre-break, and traveled across 3 time zones directly to Pittsburgh yesterday, I think giving him a night to decompress and get his mindset back in the NHL season is a smart move. Plus Miller for whatever reason has a tough time against the Pens. Lalime actually does well against them.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #1103
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Lalime to start against Crosby and the Pens tonight (Miller will get a well-deserve night off). And I want to punch ESPN for not understanding hockey (outside of Melrose) and how you can't play your starting goalie every game.

Save your blood pressure and never look to ESPN for anything hockey related as of now. Mike and Mike were trying to talk about it yesterday and sounded even dumber than they normally do.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-02-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #1104
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

NYI have traded defenceman Andy Sutton to Ottawa for a second round pick that previously belonged to the San Jose Sharks
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #1105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Save your blood pressure and never look to ESPN for anything hockey related as of now. Mike and Mike were trying to talk about it yesterday and sounded ever dumber than they normally do.

The funny part is the Caps at Sabres game tomorrow, which will be Miller's first start, is on Versus. National TV vs. local broadcasts in tonight's game.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #1106
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Thrashers acquired forward Evgeny Artyukhin from Anaheim on Monday night for minor-league defenseman Nathan Oystrick and a conditional draft pick in 2011.

Maybe another change of scenery will finally make things click for him. He's definitely an enigma, big, fast, very skilled and completely crap 98% of the time. But he will give you a couple of highlight reel goals a season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #1107
samifan24
Pro Starter

Evgeny Artyukin? Andy Sutton? 46 year old Chris Chelios?

Whatever happened to good players being involved in deadline deals/moves?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #1108
chadritt
High School Varsity

Chelios isnt even going to play in the NHL unless they trade or lose a couple of guys to injury. Hell probably just keep playing in Chicago until he retires
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #1109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Evgeny Artyukin? Andy Sutton? 46 year old Chris Chelios?

Whatever happened to good players being involved in deadline deals/moves?

Two words: Salary. Cap.

Still, it's early yet and we did have some action prior to the Olympics with Toronto's various deals. Phaneuf and Giguere aren't small potatoes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-02-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #1110
Logan
Head Coach

And Kovalchuk was the biggest piece of all.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #1111
Galaxy
Coordinator

I can't stand people who are clueless or "bandwagon" fans.

A) Ray Whitney cannot be traded unless he waives his no-trade clause. He wants a 3-year extension. Not worth more than 1.

B) Stop comparing the Olympics to the "inferior" NHL product. http://community.post-gazette.com/bl....aspx#comments

You're comparing apples to oranges.

C) The NHL cannot force a team to play a certain player. I don't care if the Sabres are playing Crosby and Pittsburgh tonight. Reasons above. It is NOT A BIG GAME. If that is true, then all 82 games would be big games. The only big games start are going into the last 10 games or so of the regular season and where you're battling teams for the division lead in that game.

D) The Sabres are in 3rd place and leading the NE division with games in hand. Sure, they fell apart going into the break (while Ottawa got hot). But stop acting like the world is ending. Every team has a slide; it's just when you have it that is important.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-02-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #1112
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
B) Stop comparing the Olympics to the "inferior" NHL product. http://community.post-gazette.com/bl....aspx#comments

You're comparing apples to oranges.

This stuff drives me nuts. It's so incredibly stupid. People are constantly fumbling around to explain why the Olympics are better than the NHL. Most favorite reasons are: "bigger ice" surface (a myth), different rules (no, not really), no fighting (yes, there's no fighting, but that's not why the product is better), less stoppages (again, not really), etc.

The reasons are so plain and simple:

1. It's 12 teams. About seven or so teams are comprised of the best players in the world. They are essentially all-star teams, loaded with speed, size, skill and talent. You have better players, you have a better product. How many people were raving about some Norway versus Germany game.

2. It's short tournament where almost every game counts. After the preliminary round, each game is essentially a "Game 7", one and done. That kind of tension is impossible to manufacture during a regular season or during anything other than an elimination game.

3. National pride. This factor is often overlooked and it shouldn't be. These guys are highly motivated to play for their country, something that most of these guys only get to do a few times throughout their careers. The NHL tried to tap into this a few years back when the All-Star game was North America vs. The World (doesn't the AHL still do this?) The problem is, of course, is that it's a meaningless All-Star game, so there is no passion, no tension, nothing. Does anyone really care about Team North America?

Other than other high profile national tournaments, it is impossible to manufacture Olympic hockey outside of the Olympics. Playoff hockey certainly comes the closest and a Game 7 closer still. Of course, all these people will have long ago abandonded the sport (hell, the abandonded the sport as Sunday afternoon) simply tittering to themselves "Oh, I'd watch more hockey if NHL games were all like that gold medal game."

As for the comparisons between the World Baseball Calssic and Olympic Basketball mentioned in the article linked. No, no one does ever come away from those gushing about the quality of play. It's not because their respective major leagues are so great, but rather because those tournaments are so weak. No one cares about the World Baseball Classic and Olympic Basketball isn't nearly competitive enough at this time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #1113
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
C) The NHL cannot force a team to play a certain player. I don't care if the Sabres are playing Crosby and Pittsburgh tonight. Reasons above. It is NOT A BIG GAME. If that is true, then all 82 games would be big games. The only big games start are going into the last 10 games or so of the regular season and where you're battling teams for the division lead in that game.

If you take the first 70+ games a lot more seriously then those final 10 games should be a walk in the park. That's what drives me nuts about the "it's a long season" kind of cliches...a loss is a loss no matter when it occurs.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #1114
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Emery is out for the year and his career could be in jeopardy, as he has the same issue with his hip that cause Bo Jackson's career to end.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #1115
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Still, it's early yet and we did have some action prior to the Olympics with Toronto's various deals. Phaneuf and Giguere aren't small potatoes.

That's true. I'm just expecting more "name" players, even role players, to move before the deadline.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #1116
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
If you take the first 70+ games a lot more seriously then those final 10 games should be a walk in the park. That's what drives me nuts about the "it's a long season" kind of cliches...a loss is a loss no matter when it occurs.

I know. I guess it comes down "What is a big game?" Miller playing Crosby doesn't make it a big game.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #1117
Galaxy
Coordinator

We need to add a power-play guy. However, afraid-to-take-a-risk Darcy Regier won't do it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #1118
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

TSN reporting:

Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh for Martin Skoula for cap purposes and the next great name in hockey, Luca Caputi.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #1119
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If tonight was the last ride for the Hurricanes as they're currently made up, it was a heckuva way to go out, plowing the Leafs in Toronto, 5-1. It was pretty clear that the Leafs slapped a nice large stamp on this one from the start as LaRose pickpocketed JSG behind the net to score a shorty and Carolina generally controlled play from there. There was an absurd stretch with about 4 minutes to go in the second where the Hurricanes kept it in the attacking zone for two minutes straight. It didn't result in a goal, but elicited a loud sarcastic cheer from the meager crowd in attendance when Corvo finally bobbled the puck and let it escape over the blue line.

Continuing the too-little-far-too-late push, that's six in a row for Carolina and a ridiculous 11 of 14. There's actually a feasible chance of matching the franchise win streak record of nine as they draw Ottawa at home and then get two road games against a packing-it-in Florida team and the now-Kovy-less Thrashers. Doubt they'd get it to ten, though since Washington's the next game after that.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #1120
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
TSN reporting:

Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh for Martin Skoula for cap purposes and the next great name in hockey, Luca Caputi.

Not sure I'm a huge fan of trading Caputi. Is Ponikarovsky that big of an upgrade?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #1121
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We need to add a power-play guy. However, afraid-to-take-a-risk Darcy Regier won't do it.

We also need to get rid of MacArthur, Stafford and Mair and send Kennedy back to Portland (although he looked better tonight) and call up Tyler Ennis.

The first three though...damn. Buffalo doesn't have a chance to get out of the first round with them in the lineup.

I could write ten paragraphs on how bad MacArthur is. Stafford is wasted talent - he would rather jam with his band and play guitar than work on his game. He's played one (ONE!) good game all year and it was the game after (ironically enough against the Pens) he sat in the press box. Mair has no hockey sense whatsoever. Zilch.

Why can't Regier see these things?
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #1122
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
We also need to get rid of MacArthur, Stafford and Mair and send Kennedy back to Portland (although he looked better tonight) and call up Tyler Ennis.

The first three though...damn. Buffalo doesn't have a chance to get out of the first round with them in the lineup.

I could write ten paragraphs on how bad MacArthur is. Stafford is wasted talent - he would rather jam with his band and play guitar than work on his game. He's played one (ONE!) good game all year and it was the game after (ironically enough against the Pens) he sat in the press box. Mair has no hockey sense whatsoever. Zilch.

Why can't Regier see these things?

According to Regier, we are good because we have our top-six fowards sign through next year. What good does that do us if they aren't producing? Also, he doesn't want to trade away the future for now. I heard on the post-game show tonight that they aren't close to anything and are looking for something beyond this year. (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...Sabres+Edge%29)

Agree on Stafford and MacArthur. I would rather have Ellis in over Mair.

Kennedy needs another year in Portland I think. He has his moments and seems like he plays most nights, but I just don't think he has it yet.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-02-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #1123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Derek Morris back to Phoenix (where, let's face it, he always belonged) and Boston gets a 4th round pick in 2011 in return.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-03-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #1124
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Derek Morris back to Phoenix (where, let's face it, he always belonged) and Boston gets a 4th round pick in return.

Bruins need more defensemen so I doubt they're done dealing.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #1125
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

And so ends the Martin Skoula Era in Toronto...

He is traded to the Devils for a 5th round pick.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-03-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #1126
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
And so ends the Martin Skoula Era in Toronto...

He is traded to the Devils for a 5th round pick.

You mean we did'nt get Colin White??

Damn

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 03-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #1127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
You mean we did'nt get Colin White??

Damn

I was surprised by that as well. He would seem to fit in well in Toronto.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #1128
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Boston acquires Seidenberg and Bartowski from Fla for Craig Weller, Byron Bitz and a 2nd round pick.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #1129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Where are you guys going for the most up to date stuff? TSN?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #1130
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Where are you guys going for the most up to date stuff? TSN?

Yeah they have a trade tracker.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #1131
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dola if you can watch online...

NHL VideoCenter
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1132
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Aaron Ward to Anaheim for fourth-rounder and goalie Justin Pogge.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #1133
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aaron Ward to Anaheim for fourth-rounder and goalie Justin Pogge.

Yup, just saw this. Haven't seen Ward all year. He's getting up there. Can he still eb an effective stay at home? If so, that's a decent get for the Ducks, as sound defensmen in their own end is an area of issue. Surprised they ere able to move Pogge for more than a gallon of Zamboni gas and a spit bucket.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #1134
bbor
Pro Starter

Pogge not so good in Anaheim?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #1135
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Phoenix trades Peter Mueller and Kevin Porter to Colorado for Wolski.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #1136
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Scott Walker to the Caps for a 7th round pick.

Nice pick up for the Capitals. I know Walker isn't the player he once was, but I always liked him.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #1137
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Boston acquires Seidenberg and Bartowski from Fla for Craig Weller, Byron Bitz and a 2nd round pick.

Sad to see Bitz go. He really made a name for himself with his strong physical play in the playoffs last year.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #1138
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings have made a trade!

They send Kris Newbury to the New York Rangers for forward Jordan Owens.

Between this trade and that St. Louis/Chicago Hannu Toivonen deal, the landscape of the Central Division has really changed.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #1139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Pogge not so good in Anaheim?

Wouldn't know. I don't think he ever once hit the ice, although he dressed as the backup a time or two when Jiggy or Hiller were sidelined.

My opinion of him is more based on the feedback I got from you guys here, and the general impressions tossed out in articles about him or by Ducks fans on the MBs at the team site. The consensus seems to be Pogge is a player with seemingly unrealized talent.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #1140
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Curtis McElhinney for Vesa Toskala
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #1141
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Curtis McElhinney for Vesa Toskala

Does anyone want Toskala anymore? He used to be good.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #1142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Does anyone want Toskala anymore? He used to be good.

I want him! Dernit...

Sorry, saw the news and had a flash of "Hiller hurt; McElhinney in goal for playoffs" and kinda freaked out. WTH...

I can only hope this is a cap move for another move today. We had the space for Ward, IIRC, so we shouldn't have needed to move Toskala for that. Toskala's deal is done at the end of the season. So no real reason to do this deal, cap-wise, unless they're creating room (I hope). Team-wise, made more sense to keep Toskala.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #1143
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Buffalo just got Raffi Torres for Nate Paetsch and a 2nd
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #1144
Pyser
Pro Rookie

pretty boring dealing day so far

think pho-col was the biggest deal yet
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #1145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
I could write ten paragraphs on how bad MacArthur is.

Well, luckily for you, you can forget this excercise as he's been traded to Atlanta for a 3rd and 4th round pick. Though, maybe JiMGA would like to hear about how bad he is.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #1146
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I want him! Dernit...

Sorry, saw the news and had a flash of "Hiller hurt; McElhinney in goal for playoffs" and kinda freaked out. WTH...

I can only hope this is a cap move for another move today. We had the space for Ward, IIRC, so we shouldn't have needed to move Toskala for that. Toskala's deal is done at the end of the season. So no real reason to do this deal, cap-wise, unless they're creating room (I hope). Team-wise, made more sense to keep Toskala.

Yeah this makes no sense to me. They had better do something with the space created otherwise they just dealt one of the better backups in the league for nothing. Is McElhinney expiring after this season also?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #1147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
pretty boring dealing day so far

think pho-col was the biggest deal yet

Agreed. Like was mentioned above, I think the Olympic break sort of broke things up. It looks like most of the big names, Phanuef, Giguere, Kovalchuk, Joikenen, were traded before the break, leaving the smaller moves for today.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #1148
bbor
Pro Starter

Yawner so far...but i guess we should have expected that with the trades that happened before the olympics.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #1149
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Milan Jurcina goes from Columbus to Washington

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #1150
Pyser
Pro Rookie

anyone know what edmonton is waiting for?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote