Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #11201
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's good to see the Libertarians finally realize that the Tea Party is largely composed of the most conservative elements of the GOP.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #11202
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's good to see the Libertarians finally realize that the Tea Party is largely composed of the most conservative elements of the GOP.

I think the libertarians might rather conjecture that the Tea Partiers only believe they are conservative.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #11203
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm using conservative as it is in real life, not how it might be idealized.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #11204
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Pretty good article refuting Pastor Jones's reasons for buring a Koran. I quoted Part 3 since it has links to Parts 1 and 2.

Top Ten Reasons to Burn a Koran - A Muslim Responds Part III (video) - National Islam | Examiner.com
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #11205
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I always found it fascinating that an object that was probably mass-produced in a factory can be viewed as sacred.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #11206
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or an image that can easily be found online?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #11207
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Ya know, Pastor Jones may not be burning any books today, but our favorite Kansan may be picking up his slack!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #11208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lemme guess- a Fred Phelps story?

SI

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #11209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone needs to put the Ass in Kansas
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #11210
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought the point was that Fred Phelps already was "the Ass in Kansas"

SI

Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #11211
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Will the Republicans throw away an easy Senate pickup?

Castle (R) leads Coons (D) by 11 points.
Coons (D) leads O'Donnell (R) by 11 points.

Today's GOp primary poll from PPP (Which admittedly is a Dem polling firm, but one referenced on RCP):

O'Donnell 47, Castle 44

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #11212
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That race has hardly been polled because everyone assumed Castle would win easily, but after the Tea Party Express, Palin and DeMint all backed O'Donnell she could win ala Miller in Alaska.

And if she does she'll be a severe underdog in a state the GOP had locked up.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #11213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes I just hate the Tea Partiers for shit like what may happen in Delaware.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #11214
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What would be interesting is if Castle ran as an independent as he'd probably be the favorite. Who would he caucus with after all the RINO shit he's gotten over the last few months?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #11215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And if she does she'll be a severe underdog in a state the GOP had locked up.

What's the point in "winning" a seat if all you're getting is what one pundit colorfully described as "Olympia Snowe in drag"?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #11216
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What's the point in "winning" a seat if all you're getting is what one pundit colorfully described as "Olympia Snowe in drag"?

Senate control. He'll still vote for the Republican Senate leader, just like all the Blue Dog Dems vote Nancy Pelosi for Speaker.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #11217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Senate control. He'll still vote for the Republican Senate leader, just like all the Blue Dog Dems vote Nancy Pelosi for Speaker.

It's control of the nation's direction that matters, not control of the Senate. Better to lose with honor than to win with none.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #11218
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's control of the nation's direction that matters, not control of the Senate. Better to lose with honor than to win with none.

Losing with honor still makes one a loser.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #11219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Losing with honor still makes one a loser.

Then so be it, winning in name only isn't a win either. And given Castle's voting record, that's what electing him amounts to.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #11220
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You do realize that there's not enough of your type to ever hold a majority?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #11221
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Then so be it, winning in name only isn't a win either. And given Castle's voting record, that's what electing him amounts to.

I guess being that you are from the south, you are used to being on the losing side of...... well..... almost everything in the history of this country besides college football.

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #11222
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

AHAHAHAHA
Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #11223
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
...and if not for the federal government forcing integration, they wouldn't be winning in football. That's right, it's only thanks to us Yankees the SEC is any good.

LOL!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #11224
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I sure hope more people share Jon's outlook. Perhaps the only thing that can save the Dems is the GOP fucking everything up.

I mean, how the hell does Harry Reid currently have a lead? That makes no sense given the nature of this election cycle, and it's solely due to the GOP nominating a lunatic. Similarly, Blumenthal has a big scandal and is now cruising because the GOP nominated Linda McMahon.

And now I see polls showing the NH primary is tightening, potentially costing the GOP yet another sure seat.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #11225
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Review Castle's lengthy voting record.
RemoveRINO Mike Castle

Explain to me why on earth I'd want him re-elected? Just because he claims to be an (R)? A (D) can be just as wrong as this sorry SOB yet there about a couple of dozen of D's seated at the moment who are actually right more often.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #11226
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Because the things you care about require some sort of majority and the hoped for Confederate Party will never have enough votes to pass anything.

I'd love to see a list of Senators you think cast the right votes often enough and then a plan for how you'll get to 51. The one good thing with a two party system is that it does need differing ideologies to form a majority.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #11227
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd love to see a list of Senators you think cast the right votes often enough and then a plan for how you'll get to 51.

Okay, with the caveat that this is really a shortcut way of answering your question. I'm taking a quick brain break from a really unexpected emergency project that a client handed over after hours tonight & I can't really get away from that for much longer than it takes for a fresh pot of coffee to finish brewing.

With the shortcut, I'm sure there are going to be some people included that I wouldn't normally consider reliable (McCain is an obvious example) but I'm just looking for a baseline, working from the 2009 ratings based on 25 notable votes as detailed at
2009 ACU Ratings :: Senate Standouts « The American Conservative Union

There were 10 senators who got a 100% conservative score, a total of 33 who scored 80% or higher. There were 24 D's who got a 0% score, so I'll write those off largely as lost causes.

I'm not arguing that 51 100%ers is a doable number in the upcoming election, although it's certainly an admirable goal, the math just isn't there.

It's also not something that happens overnight, but steady improvement is a valid goal, to turn 80s into 90s, 90s into 100s, and especially turning sub 60s into 80s. Castle's 56% score (only 1% better than the cellar-dwelling Cao of LA) in the House simply isn't a significant enough movement for me to celebrate, not when there's a potential 80 on the table. Hell, there's D's that are within spitting distance of Castle and some (such as Bright-AL) who are as high as C72%.

Just because we aren't going to get there overnight doesn't mean that shouldn't be the goal, that it isn't worth striving for, or that it's impossible.

If 4/5 votes is relatively reliable, there's 33 now (with this imperfect quickie benchmark) move another 5-7 up, improve 10 in the middle ranges to 2/3 or 1/2 C, knock out a few of the zeroes to get an occasional unexpected vote ... you don't have to have 51 rock solid in order to win a fight, you get as many as you can & keep fighting for more, steady improvement everywhere else that's possible.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #11228
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I guess being that you are from the south, you are used to being on the losing side of...... well..... almost everything in the history of this country besides college football.

A-fucking-men. The South has been wrong on everything that matters.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #11229
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay, with the caveat that this is really a shortcut way of answering your question. I'm taking a quick brain break from a really unexpected emergency project that a client handed over after hours tonight & I can't really get away from that for much longer than it takes for a fresh pot of coffee to finish brewing.

With the shortcut, I'm sure there are going to be some people included that I wouldn't normally consider reliable (McCain is an obvious example) but I'm just looking for a baseline, working from the 2009 ratings based on 25 notable votes as detailed at
2009 ACU Ratings :: Senate Standouts « The American Conservative Union

There were 10 senators who got a 100% conservative score, a total of 33 who scored 80% or higher. There were 24 D's who got a 0% score, so I'll write those off largely as lost causes.

I'm not arguing that 51 100%ers is a doable number in the upcoming election, although it's certainly an admirable goal, the math just isn't there.

It's also not something that happens overnight, but steady improvement is a valid goal, to turn 80s into 90s, 90s into 100s, and especially turning sub 60s into 80s. Castle's 56% score (only 1% better than the cellar-dwelling Cao of LA) in the House simply isn't a significant enough movement for me to celebrate, not when there's a potential 80 on the table. Hell, there's D's that are within spitting distance of Castle and some (such as Bright-AL) who are as high as C72%.

Just because we aren't going to get there overnight doesn't mean that shouldn't be the goal, that it isn't worth striving for, or that it's impossible.

If 4/5 votes is relatively reliable, there's 33 now (with this imperfect quickie benchmark) move another 5-7 up, improve 10 in the middle ranges to 2/3 or 1/2 C, knock out a few of the zeroes to get an occasional unexpected vote ... you don't have to have 51 rock solid in order to win a fight, you get as many as you can & keep fighting for more, steady improvement everywhere else that's possible.

But the point is if you get that 51st Senator, it won't be a 56% person setting the agenda, but someone closer to that 80-90%. If you don't then it will be more of Harry Reid setting the agenda. I mean, getting an 80-90% candidate to win in Delaware is a pipe dream. Even in the best possible conditions for the GOP (see: now) it's just not going to happen.

You seem to be arguing that the GOP should ignore geopolitics and just field the most conservative candidates possible everywhere. That's just political suicide.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-13-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #11230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You seem to be arguing that the GOP should ignore geopolitics and just field the most conservative candidates possible everywhere. That's just political suicide.

It's also a primary (no pun intended) way to prevent the party from rotting from within, which is a long-term issue which cannot be overlooked.

Having Castle's ilk associated with the party in any way ultimately does more harm than good, even if he's right more often than Coons.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-13-2010 at 11:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #11231
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's also a primary (no pun intended) way to prevent the party from rotting from within, which is a long-term issue which cannot be overlooked.

Having Castle's ilk associated with the party in any way ultimately does more harm than good, even if he's right more often than Coons.
So what's best for the party is to have a real small minority with no power? Interesting strategy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #11232
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So what's best for the party is to have a real small minority with no power? Interesting strategy.

Seriously. The idea that there is an electable "potential 80" in DELAWARE is just smoking something. And, of course, there are some D's in spitting distance of Castle. They mostly come from the South, which is far different geopolitically than, say, the Mid-Atlantic.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #11233
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How the Senate race is shaping up:

Dem: 44 Safe or Not Up
GOP: 34 Safe or Not Up
GOP should easily win: AK, IN, IA, LA, NC
Dems should easily win: NY, OR

That puts the margin at 46 Dem, 39 GOP

With 16 seats up for grabs, Dems need to win 4 to retain the majority (since they have VP).

Seats they should win: WV (has tightened, but Manchin has been reliably 50% or higher), CT (McMahon is just a bad fit for the state and Blumenthal did a terrific job of weathering a scandal)

The remaining 13 seats would be split up as

6 Toss Up (CA, CO, IL, NV, WA, WI)
7 Lean GOP (DE, FL, KY, MO, NH, OH, PA)

Depending on today's primary results, DE and NH could potentially move from Lean GOP all the way to Lean Dem and all but assure the Dems retain the majority.

The other GOP leaners are probably not in play at this point, but several of the toss ups are in very blue territory. If the GOP fucks up DE and NH today, then the Dems could potentially end up with 54-55 seats, which would be nothing short of a miracle given the nature of this election cycle.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-14-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #11234
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I was looking at projected turnout numbers in DE and I think Castle is in big trouble. They are expecting 30K GOP voters. With the enthusiasm on the far right and Palin/Tea Party support getting 15001 O'Donnell voters out doesn't seem at all out of the question.

Don't be surprised if the Tea Party also wins in NH. It's not as close going in, but turnout for that election will also be small and the Tea Partiers have shown a knack at winning in low turnout primaries.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #11235
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Today's RCP polls:

CT: Blumenthal 51, McMahon 45
WA: Murray 50, Rossi 41 (this one is a surprise, as all other polls had this much closer. If Rossi can't win this year, he might as well call it a career.)
FL: Rubio 43, Crist 27, Meek 21 (Meek is eating into Crist and Rubio is walking away with this)
NV: Angle 45, Reid 44
OH: Portman 48, Fisher 41
PA: Toomey 47, Sestak 41

Not the worst polling day for Dems. FL is a lost cause, but Fisher and Sestak are at least hanging in there.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #11236
molson
General Manager

I wonder if France gets much criticism in the European media for stuff like this, which really puts our silly Koran burning/mosque location silliness to shame:

France nears ban on full Muslim veils - World news - Europe - msnbc.com
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #11237
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder if France gets much criticism in the European media for stuff like this, which really puts our silly Koran burning/mosque location silliness to shame:

France nears ban on full Muslim veils - World news - Europe - msnbc.com

I think there was a thread on this a while back -- pretty disgusting.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #11238
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Today's RCP polls:

CT: Blumenthal 51, McMahon 45
WA: Murray 50, Rossi 41 (this one is a surprise, as all other polls had this much closer. If Rossi can't win this year, he might as well call it a career.)
FL: Rubio 43, Crist 27, Meek 21 (Meek is eating into Crist and Rubio is walking away with this)
NV: Angle 45, Reid 44
OH: Portman 48, Fisher 41
PA: Toomey 47, Sestak 41

Not the worst polling day for Dems. FL is a lost cause, but Fisher and Sestak are at least hanging in there.

Some of these polls are transitioning from registered voter to likely voter. Nate Silver has shown that the CT race really hasn't changed from the last ten point lead, but the switch from registered to likely gives the GOP candidate a few points.

Makes it kind of a pain in the ass to really see what's going on.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #11239
larrymcg421
Head Coach

47.1% reporting: O'Donnell 55.4, Castle 44.6
7.3% reporting: Lamontagne 50.0, Ayotte 33.1

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-14-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #11240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

If having power means accomplishing nothing that's truly important then what's the point?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #11241
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

75% in:

O'Donnell 54
Castle 46

Thanks for the Senate hold Tea Partiers.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #11242
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The race has tightened a little bit in DE, but is it too late for Castle?

77.5% reporting: O' Donnell 53.9, Castle 46.1

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #11243
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the obit of a retired USAF veteran this week
"In lieu of flowers the family respectfully asks that donations be sent to the American Cancer Society, or to the campaign of anybody who is running against President Barack Obama in 2012."

Obit: In lieu of flowers, donate to anybody running against Obama - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-14-2010 at 08:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #11244
larrymcg421
Head Coach

10% in and Lamontagne still leads Ayotte 48.7-33.8

I haven't seen any Hodes-Lamontagne, but I've got to think he'll be leading her if she wins the nominations.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #11245
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

AP calls it for O'Donnell.

Watch out DE masturbaters.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #11246
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There' no doubt the GOP is going to do well in Nov, but it's damn near impossible to see the Senate change hands if DE goes Dem.

Ideological purity FTW.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #11247
Swaggs
Coordinator

A.P. calls Delaware for O'Donnell.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #11248
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Er, Lamontage's a dude.

Also, I'd like to thank folks like JiminMiddleGA for continued control of the Senate.

It would be an misguided statement at best to assume anything regarding the November election given what we've seen thus far.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #11249
Swaggs
Coordinator

Whoops... a little slow.

Hard to see her winning in the general, but I'm not going to discount any of the tea party/Palin crowd in elections. Until proven otherwise, I think the enthusiasm gap (plus lack of a presidential race "headliner") makes them legit.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #11250
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah if the GOP can't take DE, then the Dems have a fairly good grip on 49 seats. They'd have to lose all 6 toss up states. If the GOP screws up NH as well, then the Dems are basically freerolling with their majority from there.

*It's not impossible for the GOP to win in WV or CT, but I don't see it happening.