Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #11051
spleen1015
Coordinator

How did all of the sports news on CNN.com go from Sport Illustrated to Bleacher Report crap?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #11052
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
How did all of the sports news on CNN.com go from Sport Illustrated to Bleacher Report crap?

This was in another thread somewhere or another. In simplest terms, Turner bought BR & made the switch.

Here's one article of several I've read, explains it about as well as any, including a comment about how the SI/Turner Sports marriage was never really a comfortable or happy one (which was always my impression of it, that neither was really happy with the pairing).
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #11053
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just watched the opening number, have to say, my wife and I were pissing ourselves it was so funny. Easily the best opening I've seen. One of the funniest things was watching the audience reactions. Some people in hysterics and some complete sour pusses. Loved it.

I too loved it but I wonder whether many of them thought he would somehow tone it down.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #11054
rowech
Pro Starter

Why does every Internet headline seemingly use the word "blast?"
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #11055
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Why does every Internet headline seemingly use the word "blast?"

And every horrible scam ad use "weird trick"
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #11056
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just applied for a promotion at work. I have been all but guarenteed to get the job. While I like advancment and challanges, as well as more money, it will be a lot more work. Hope I don't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I read this post, then five minutes later, I got an email from someone way up in my company saying he wanted to meet with me to discuss "a potential opportunity" -- insurance promotions for both of us, hopefully!

Kind of bumming news. I was told by my manager that I got the position a week ago, and I've been thinking about whether or not to take it -- I've been told there would be a raise, but I don't know how much yet. I found out today, though, that someone else applied for the position, and they're having an interview. It's weird -- I didn't ask for this new position, and wasn't sure if I would take it, but now that I hear it might not happen, I'm annoyed.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #11057
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kind of bumming news. I was told by my manager that I got the position a week ago, and I've been thinking about whether or not to take it -- I've been told there would be a raise, but I don't know how much yet. I found out today, though, that someone else applied for the position, and they're having an interview. It's weird -- I didn't ask for this new position, and wasn't sure if I would take it, but now that I hear it might not happen, I'm annoyed.

Any possibility that you not immediately accepting it raised warning flags with your management?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #11058
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Any possibility that you not immediately accepting it raised warning flags with your management?

Not exactly -- I expressed interest, then they told me they could adjust my salary, and would make an offer. And since I haven't received that yet, I don't think they're expecting me to say "I'll take it" before getting it.

However, I'm in an office that's not the company's main headquarters, and my manager told me the hiring manager was going to ask if I was interested in moving there. I'm not, but he didn't ask when we talked. I also emailed and expressed concern about how much travel was involved. He knows my family situation, so he understood, and seemed willing to limit it for me, though.

I think it's just that while they were working on making an offer (I've been told HR is slow on this stuff), someone found out about the position and applied. I figure I have an advantage since I was the one that they contacted first. However, the new applicant might have an advantage because he/she was interested enough to take the initiative and apply, and are likely located in the home office.

Update is, I got a call from the hiring manager, and he wants me to interview with two people who would be the lead on other products. Should be pretty informal, since I've met them both a couple times and know them fairly well.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #11059
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

My dinnerview tonight with a potential employer went very well. Honestly one of the sharpest guys I've met during the whole job search. I would absolutely be very happy to receive an offer and work for him. Just two more days of waiting to see what their decision is. Keep your fingers crossed FOFC brethren.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #11060
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
My dinnerview tonight with a potential employer went very well. Honestly one of the sharpest guys I've met during the whole job search. I would absolutely be very happy to receive an offer and work for him. Just two more days of waiting to see what their decision is. Keep your fingers crossed FOFC brethren.

Good luck!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #11061
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good luck INDalltheway.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #11062
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

good luck!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #11063
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

An audit of our school district found that they don't require us to update our passwords like they should. Fifteen years of the password pencil (name the movie) about to go out the window.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #11064
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
An audit of our school district found that they don't require us to update our passwords like they should. Fifteen years of the password pencil (name the movie) about to go out the window.

Wargames

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #11065
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Wargames

Even worse is they said the computers didn't automatically logout fast enough. No more leaving the laptop booted up overnight.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #11066
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Even worse is they said the computers didn't automatically logout fast enough. No more leaving the laptop booted up overnight.

I think our machines don't log out at all, but, they do lock after about 5 minutes. I've read a couple of articles the last couple of years that changing your password really doesn't help all that much to curb password theft.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #11067
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Amended tax returns aren't to big of a pain, right? I just filed mine and realized I fucked up and screwed myself out of the Opportunity one, the college credit thing.

My shit is simple, 1040EZ. Amended I assume is just making some changes and badabingbadaboom?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #11068
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's really easy. I had to do it years ago for a similar reason.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #11069
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Turbotax freaked me out by saying 1/12 people in my income bracket get audited. We submitted the other day and now I am obsessively checking to see if they were accepted.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be too worried, but I claimed some property tax paid and claimed the interest owed on it as well, long story, and I likely should 't have claimed the interest.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #11070
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So, I was reading an article that mentioned there are nine FBS schools in Ohio, and I tried to name them all. I came up with eight of the nine before I finally thought about Bowling Green. I checked and it is in Ohio. But what threw me is that I had thought there was also a Bowling Green in Kentucky.

So the concept of two Bowling Greens was weird to me. Since these states neighbor each other, I figured it's probably one urban area that sits on both sides of the common state line, like St. Louis with Missouri and Illinois.

But then I look up where they are. And Bowling Green, OH, is way the fuck up by Toledo, while Bolwing Green, KY is closer to Nashville, TN way to the south, then it is to Louisville in its own state, much less Ohio and the other Bowling Green.

So what's that about?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #11071
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So, I was reading an article that mentioned there are nine FBS schools in Ohio, and I tried to name them all. I came up with eight of the nine before I finally thought about Bowling Green. I checked and it is in Ohio. But what threw me is that I had thought there was also a Bowling Green in Kentucky.

So the concept of two Bowling Greens was weird to me. Since these states neighbor each other, I figured it's probably one urban area that sits on both sides of the common state line, like St. Louis with Missouri and Illinois.

But then I look up where they are. And Bowling Green, OH, is way the fuck up by Toledo, while Bolwing Green, KY is closer to Nashville, TN way to the south, then it is to Louisville in its own state, much less Ohio and the other Bowling Green.

So what's that about?

No easy answer for you, but your pursuit makes me .
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #11072
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just looked up a bit and I'd speculate that the Ohio city was founded as part of the western reserve with people originally from near Bowling Green park in NYC. The Kentucky people seem to have come from Bowling Green Virginia. It's probably a common term really, though. Towns would have long stretches of flat grass and they'd play games on them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #11073
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm at rottentomatoes and I see that The Great and Powerful Oz, which is a movie I am looking forward to, already has some reviews. So I click to go over to the movie page, where they also show the main stars, the director, a quick synapsis, etc.

Well, they show six stars in the initial cast box, and there are a few in this one. James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, plus the where did he go Zach Braff and someone named Joey King. And they have a link you can click to reveal more cast.

So I'm curious and I clkick the extra cast reveal. And who is the first new name to show up? Bruce Campbell. Yeah. BRUCE FUCKING EVIL DEAD CAMPBELL!

Why the hell would you hide that shit? Campbell being in the movie, in any role, instantly makes that movie infintiely cooler than it was before.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #11074
JediKooter
Coordinator

Had beer and dinner with my old roommate when I was stationed in Korea. It's been 20 years since I last saw him and it was awesome just being able to have another beer or 3 with him, just like old times. Just a great night last night and didn't even mind the long drive home. I feel like an ass for not keeping in touch with him more throughout the years though.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #11075
molson
General Manager

There's nothing like bracing for news that you need a new $3,500 transmission, and then being told it'll be a $400 fix. I feel like I just won $3,000 and I kind of want to blow it on booze and hookers. Also, I love my honest auto mechanic place two blocks from my house.

Last edited by molson : 03-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #11076
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's nothing like bracing for news that you need a new $3,500 transmission, and then being told it'll be a $400 fix. I feel like I just won $3,000 and I kind of want to blow it on booze and hookers. Also, I love my honest auto mechanic place two blocks from my house.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #11077
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Now that is an awesome random thought. Even without the booze.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #11078
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i don't know what's worse the short attention span of the internet or the vitriolic reaction to anything that comes after the 5 minute novelty window
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #11079
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Saw Looper last night and had no idea I'd finally get to see Piper Perabo topless. Pleasant surprise.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #11080
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Saw Looper last night and had no idea I'd finally get to see Piper Perabo topless. Pleasant surprise.

ORLY? Might be a reason to see that movie after all - she's cute.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #11081
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

ORLY? Might be a reason to see that movie after all - she's cute.

Setting aside ridiculous time paradoxes, it's a good movie. Naked Piper is just a bonus.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #11082
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A guy posted how he lost the second best woman in his life and it was his dog. He's married. So his dog was better than his wife or his own mother. I would bring up the point, but I know it would only get awkward.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #11083
spleen1015
Coordinator

I wouldn't put my mother as the first or second best woman in my life.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #11084
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yawn.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #11085
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
A guy posted how he lost the second best woman in his life and it was his dog. He's married. So his dog was better than his wife or his own mother. I would bring up the point, but I know it would only get awkward.

Twist: The best woman in his life is his other dog.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #11086
cuervo72
Head Coach

Maybe his mother was already dead?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #11087
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I read about the existence of Before Midnight and didn't realize it had already been 9 years since Before Sunset and 18 since Before Sunrise. Hashtag-Getting Old.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #11088
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I read about the existence of Before Midnight and didn't realize it had already been 9 years since Before Sunset and 18 since Before Sunrise. Hashtag-Getting Old.

Yeah
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #11089
sabotai
General Manager

And now I know I don't like kimchi.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #11090
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I saw this one on facebook today and it made me feel old: Ralph Macchio is now the same age that Pat Morita was when they filmed "the Karate Kid."
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #11091
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Maybe his mother was already dead?

That's true and I guess I hadn't thought of it. Still, I don't think I'll ever understand certain animal lovers.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #11092
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Had beer and dinner with my old roommate when I was stationed in Korea. It's been 20 years since I last saw him and it was awesome just being able to have another beer or 3 with him, just like old times. Just a great night last night and didn't even mind the long drive home. I feel like an ass for not keeping in touch with him more throughout the years though.

Very cool.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #11093
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Wow. I didn't even know about its existence until reading this. Hashtag-Out of Touch.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #11094
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. I didn't even know about its existence until reading this. Hashtag-Out of Touch.

Yeah - looking forward to this. Before Sunrise was totally an "awww" movie, and Before Sunset was...different but good. This should be interesting.

Whoa - getting good reviews

Before Midnight - Rotten Tomatoes

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #11095
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So my uncle died. Not a big loss or anything, as he was quite an asshole. My mom was talking to his wife. She is completely lost on what to do. He did EVERYTHING. He paid all the bills. He tied her shoes. She doesn't know how to pay any bills... and did I mention that she can't tie her own shoes?

I don't understand how any non-incapacitated adult can let anybody else do so much for them. Nor can I wrap my head around doing that much for any non-incapacitated adult.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #11096
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am assuming they are considerably older, it was like that back then. My Dad will likely go before my Mom, he is 82, but if not he will have to eat out every meal or move in with my sister.

sorry for your loss FWIW
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #11097
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Very cool.

Yes it was very cool. We had a band while there in Korea and he said he still has some of the tapes we made. Can't wait to hear how awful, but awesome, they sound.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #11098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rather than try to explain my last three hours, I'll just share my wife's FB description of what I've been doing.

Quote:
Only in our world...Will is playing tennis this year..He is a JV player..they had a varsity game today..so he didn't take his racquet or uniform..he was just going to watch..Suddenly, coach says "Will I am going to put you in"...so we get an emergency phone call--bring my uniform and a racquet..So we did a fire drill, got everything, got Jon out of the door. Then Jon backs over a curb..blows a tire on the side of the road..A senior rushes to the rescue and brings Will to Jon to get his stuff. Jon is now trying to figure out a Mercedes tire jack--all instructions are of course in German! The things we do for our kids.

FWIW, there is English instructions & shit. But in my haste to try to get to the match -- the only one he's likely to play in all year (which is a whole other story) & the first of his life -- I don't remember the part about the spare rim using different lug nuts than the regular one. 3 tries, 2 slips off the jack, and 1 abrupt roll back later ... I'm home.

And the capper? At the last last minute, he didn't get to play after all.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #11099
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Rather than try to explain my last three hours, I'll just share my wife's FB description of what I've been doing.

FWIW, there is English instructions & shit. But in my haste to try to get to the match -- the only one he's likely to play in all year (which is a whole other story) & the first of his life -- I don't remember the part about the spare rim using different lug nuts than the regular one. 3 tries, 2 slips off the jack, and 1 abrupt roll back later ... I'm home.

And the capper? At the last last minute, he didn't get to play after all.

How many cigarettes during the (attempted) change?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #11100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
How many cigarettes during the (attempted) change?

2, I think.

The growing nicotine & caffeine deficiency probably played a role in my struggles.

edit to add: I'll also note that I'm currently doing my best to get caught up.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-04-2013 at 07:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote