Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #1051
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Enough Stu Grimson bashing. He actually became a much better skater than Worrell and Ray towards the end of his career IMO, but I will concede that his first few years in the league were painfully bad. Still by far my favorite player ever though.

How is it bashing by mentioning that he was a terrible skater? With that being said, I enjoyed watching him fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #1052
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
How is it bashing by mentioning that he was a terrible skater? With that being said, I enjoyed watching him fight.

bhlloy is saying that tongue in cheek, I am sure, although it's indubitable that we both thought he was a great enforcer while he was here (I know I did).

Don't be so sensitive. Who are you, Jiri Hudler?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #1053
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
bhlloy is saying that tongue in cheek, I am sure, although it's indubitable that we both thought he was a great enforcer while he was here (I know I did).

Don't be so sensitive. Who are you, Jiri Hudler?

Nah, I don't skate with my head down.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #1054
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Bruins give Julien new deal.

Bruins give Claude Julien a new deal - BostonHerald.com

Quote:
Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #1055
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

A well deserved extension at that.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #1056
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For the past couple seasons, the Penguins have had players hand deliver season tickets.

Two seasons ago, this lady had her tix delivered by Crosby. During the time, Crosby mentions he'd do his best to win the Cup and she said "Not this year...maybe next year."

Now she looks pretty damn smart.

Crosby delivered her tickets again today.

A surprise visit for a longtime Penguins fan

The video is even better-
Video: Stanley Cup surprise
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #1057
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fucking. awesome.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #1058
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

very cool
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #1059
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Like father, like son. Douchebags.

Son of NHL great Patrick Roy to stand trial for assault - ESPN

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #1060
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres start camp today with rookies reporting. Veterans report Saturday.

Is the NHL playing in Europe this year?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #1061
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is the NHL playing in Europe this year?

Yes. I know the Wings are opening the season in Sweden. I think they may be playing the Blues? Maybe not, but someone like that. I think two other teams are playing somewhere else in Europe as well to start the season.

Personally, I think the Wings will struggle a bit this season as compared to the last 3 for the following reasons:

1. The start in Europe combined with the compressed schedule (because of the Olympics) and the fact that so many Wings are playing in the Olypmics.

2. The loss of Hossa, Hulder and Samuelsson will hurt the offense more than expected and Williams, Bertuzzi, and Eaves will do less.

3. The division is a lot tougher, especially Chicago, but both Columbus and St. Louis are coming on strong.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #1062
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes. I know the Wings are opening the season in Sweden. I think they may be playing the Blues? Maybe not, but someone like that. I think two other teams are playing somewhere else in Europe as well to start the season.

Panthers and Blackhawks in Helsinki. Last year the games were before the rest of the season started. This year, it's the weekend after everything kicks off, which makes a lot more sense.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #1063
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Some talk recently about Toronto offering Kessel a contract. With that looming, I hear that Chiarelli may be looking at trading Phil. I'll just be happy when this whole thing is over with, re-sign the guy or trade him for a decent young D-Man.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #1064
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Some talk recently about Toronto offering Kessel a contract. With that looming, I hear that Chiarelli may be looking at trading Phil. I'll just be happy when this whole thing is over with, re-sign the guy or trade him for a decent young D-Man.

Yeah, I read that as well. I guess the Leafs swaped some draft picks around that appeared to give them the ability to offer Kessel a contract. I'd be surprised if Burke did it, especially after his on-going hissy-fit with Kevin Lowe over the whole Dustin Penner thing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #1065
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Leafs made an interesting deal with the Hawks, swapping a 2nd and 3rd (both from 2011) for a 2nd in 2010.

But it's not just any 2nd. It's the Leafs pick, which had been dealt to Chicago via Montreal last year. So the Leafs now have each of their own first three picks, which means they can now sign an RFA. Which means Phil Kessel is probably talking to Brian Burke right now.

A few things that make this interesting:
- The Bruins say they'll match any offer, but they don't have cap room. How high will they go?

- The second the Leafs sign Kessel to an offer sheet, the Bruins can no longer trade him to anyone but Toronto. So the other teams that bidding now have some extra pressure to put on the Bruins.

- If the Bruins do trade Kessel's rights to another team, the Leafs could still sign Kessel and then force his new team to match.

- And of course, Burke will be accused of hyprocisy after he was so angry at Lowe for signing RFAs two years ago. Back then he said that signing RFAs was fine as long as it wasn't to ridiculous Vanek/Penner type offers, but that won't matter. The media will kill him over this. And, of course, he won't care.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #1066
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Burke makes things interesting, that's for sure.

Too bad Kessel is pretty overrated and I suspect will crumble under the media scrutiny in Toronto.

Plus the kid is a dick most of his teammates don't like.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1067
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Brian Burke is the yin to Gary Bettman's yang.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #1068
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
- And of course, Burke will be accused of hyprocisy after he was so angry at Lowe for signing RFAs two years ago. Back then he said that signing RFAs was fine as long as it wasn't to ridiculous Vanek/Penner type offers, but that won't matter. The media will kill him over this. And, of course, he won't care.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290397

Apparently now, Burke is totally fine with signing RFAs so long as there is "no blindside or backdoor like what Kevin Lowe did." So, as long as the "entire process has involved dialogue with [opposing GM]" it's all totally legit and no one can be angry about it.

That said, I do recall him getting all pissed off, not only because of Kevin Lowe's "blindside or backdoor" shennagins, but because he felt that the offer sheet to Penner threw salaries all out of whack and forced him (and other teams) to pay younger players (e.g., Getzlaf and Perry) more.

Yeah, here are his quotes on the Penner signing:

Angry Burke blasts fellow GM Lowe

"Edmonton has offered a mostly inflated salary for a player, and I think it's an act of desperation for a general manager who is fighting to keep his job," he said.

The comments came a day after Lowe signed Penner — a 24-year-old restricted free agent who scored 29 goals last season — to a five-year, $21.25-million US offer sheet.

Burke said he wasn't upset that the Oilers made a play for Penner, but rather took exception to the potential inflationary effects of offering a $4.25-million annual salary to a player who made the league minimum of $450,000 last season.

"I have no problem with offer sheets," Burke said, noting they are part of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement.
"If you can identify a player and pay him appropriately and make him an offer, that's fine. At some point, the deals you make, the offers you extend, whether the team matches it or not, impacts all 30 teams, including your own."

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #1069
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Brian Burke needs to get over it already.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #1070
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Burke needs to find his happy place.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #1071
samifan24
Pro Starter

As a Bruins fan I'd rather have Toronto deal for Kessel and give up NHL talent than get draft picks as signing compensation. This Bruins team can complete for the Cup now and I think they should do as much as possible to keep that window open. Obviously dealing a top line winger hurts their chances so if they're going to let him go I'd rather get NHL talent back right now.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #1072
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Does anyone else see this as a bribe? WTF is going on with the NHL these days?

James Balsillie offers $50M to Glendale in Phoenix Coyotes sale - ESPN

Oh, and this one is fun too:

Nashville Predators owner sentenced to more than 8 years in prison - ESPN

Add the dismissal of Paul Kelly and the resignation of Glenn Healy, and you have one helluva an NHL offseason.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #1073
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Del Biaggio then doctored the account statements by cutting out the clients' names and pasting in his own and presenting them to the banks and NHL owners as collateral.

I've seen these documents first hand.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #1074
bhlloy
Coordinator

But OMGZ, we can't let this nasty man Balsillie buy a team. He's just too shady. Somebody think of the children.

Now, welcome to the league Mr. Hitler. Please tell me more about your plan to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #1075
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Brian Burke needs to get over it already.
Get over what? Those quotes are from two years ago.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #1076
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
"I have no problem with offer sheets," Burke said, noting they are part of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement. "If you can identify a player and pay him appropriately and make him an offer, that's fine."
So if he offers Kessel something in the range of $4.25 or $4.5M, where's the hypocrisy?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #1077
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not getting into the Burke-Lowe thing again except to note that Penner has proven exactly what Burke said at the time--he was massively overpaid for his talent.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #1078
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not getting into the Burke-Lowe thing again except to note that Penner has proven exactly what Burke said at the time--he was massively overpaid for his talent.

Arguable, but besides that point, it's not like that clarification is unique only to RFA's. There are plenty of overpaid players in this league coughHorcoffcough.

I mean the Vanek offer certainly isn't looking all that crazy at this point. There's always going to be stupid contracts handed out across the league, the more RFA offer sheets there are, the more those bad contracts will just be spread across a wider age range.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #1079
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Arguable, but besides that point, it's not like that clarification is unique only to RFA's. There are plenty of overpaid players in this league coughHorcoffcough.

I mean the Vanek offer certainly isn't looking all that crazy at this point. There's always going to be stupid contracts handed out across the league, the more RFA offer sheets there are, the more those bad contracts will just be spread across a wider age range.

Not arguable from the way you Oilers fans speak about Penner in the season threads.

I think an argument can be made that Burke was right, in that Lowe's offer to Vanek and signing of Penner were bad for hockey in general (even if the CBA gave Lowe every right to do what he did), and I think it has been proven over time that Lowe is every bit as much of an ass as Burke (so the lack of contact that set Burke off seems to have some traction).

Regardless, Pandora's Box, what's done is done, blah, blah. Burke's where he wants to be, Lowe's where he deserves to be (unemployed), and we're all happier (even Oil fans).

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #1080
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Get over what? Those quotes are from two years ago.

The first set of quotes about the backdoor/blindsiding were from yesterday. He still hasn't gotten over it. That's not too surprising, he seems like the kind of guy to hold a grudge.

I don't think it will so much be hysprocrisy if Burke makes an offer to Kessel in that range. It perfectly fits within his narrow definition of how an RFA offer should be made:

1. You must discuss the offer with the other team's GM first.

2. You must make him an offer that pays him appropriately.

If you follow the Burke Guidelines, it's all good and honorable. If not, your're a backdoor, blindsiding son of a bitch.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #1081
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
There are plenty of overpaid players in this league coughHorcoffcough.

Well played sir, well played.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #1082
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My buddy texted me this rumor, anyone hear this? I have no idea where it's from:

Heatley to the Rangers for Staal, Dubinsky and Rosival.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #1083
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ugh, that would be terrible for the Rangers. Please no, Glen.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #1084
Logan
Head Coach

Dubinsky, Del Zotto, and Roszival was a rumor that was shot down by the Rangers camp really quickly when the Heatley talk first started. To think they'd put Staal in that deal is nuts.

We'll see though, but I'd be amazed.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #1085
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like it came from the Ottawa Citizen, worded as speculation or "what Ottawa would hope to get."

Last edited by Logan : 09-09-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #1086
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Good news for the Wings, maybe Lilja will play again.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....andreas_l.html

Quote:
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #1087
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

That's certainly good news for the Lilja. But, as far as the Wings are concerned, I'd just call it "news".
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #1088
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That's certainly good news for the Lilja. But, as far as the Wings are concerned, I'd just call it "news".

This. Well hey if's healthy he becomes tradeable.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #1089
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Comrie and Lowe are re-united...is Burke the next to reconcile with Lowe?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #1090
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
This. Well hey if's healthy he becomes tradeable.

Actually, he played pretty well for us last season. If he can come back and replicate that performance, I would indeed say it is good news for the Wings. We need a big body on the blue line, with the loss of some of our scoring from last year we need to play better defense this time around.

The salary cap issue, however, remains a problem.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #1091
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just found out that the NHL Network is now part of my basic cable package. The HD channel will be coming soon.

Very nice...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #1092
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

On The Fly is a great show!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #1093
Galaxy
Coordinator

The Sabres have RFA Drew Stafford still unsigned. Interesting tatics this year.

Rookie Tyler Myers is trying to push for a D position with the Sabres. At 6'8'' and a physical game, he could really make an impact if he gets the chance.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #1094
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Blair Betts and Mike Bell are at the Flyers camp trying to make the team.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #1095
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Blair Betts and Mike Bell are at the Flyers camp trying to make the team.

Mark Bell?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #1096
Logan
Head Coach

Scrolling on ESPN earlier was Heatley to the Sharks in a 3-team deal, Marleau to LA.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #1097
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Scrolling on ESPN earlier was Heatley to the Sharks in a 3-team deal, Marleau to LA.

Just check TSN .. saw this:

Here we go again.

Amid reports that the Ottawa Senators have traded Dany Heatley to the San Jose Sharks as part of a three-way deal with the Los Angeles Kings, sources tell TSN nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, sources tell TSN that not only is the report of a three-way deal being done not true, but the Senators are no closer to trading Heatley now than they have been for most of the summer.

It's eerily similar to earlier this summer when there were reports the Senators had traded Heatley to the Edmonton Oilers. The difference then, though, was the Sens and Oilers actually had a deal worked out, but Heatley refused to waive his no-movement clause. This time around, it doesn't appear there's been any agreement.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #1098
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, I missed a piece of the scroll, but saw also at the end something like "...and Murray deny such a deal." Thought it was interesting that it wasn't reported from a source or anything like that, but a definite deal.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #1099
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Same story on NHL.com too. Could be some truth to it, while I don't trust ESPN that much, NHL.com is usually pretty reliable.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #1100
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
On The Fly is a great show!

It is but they have an absolutely terrible set.