Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #1051
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

If the Red Wings could ever get any offense from those Datsyuk and Hossa fellows, they just might be a good team.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #1052
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Blackhawks played a very good game last night. They played their game and were able to dictate the pace of the game for the most part. Toews showed. They hit the Wings at every opportunity. I can't remember the last time the Wings were out shot during a playoff game. It rarely happens.

Osgood was quite excellent. Neither of the goals were his fault. Khabibuhlin also was quite good. The Wings just burried the two great opportunities they had - Cleary's breakaway and the 3-on-1 that ended the game.

Filupulla made a stellar play on that last goal. I watched it about a dozen times and that little move he made to freeze Barker and the Khabibuhlin was just excellent.

Game 3 will be really interesting. The United Center will be rocking.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #1053
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Decent article on Ozzie:

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=4176419
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #1054
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Osgood has impressed me so far this series, especially in game 2. I've always believed the Wings have won in spite of and not because of him but he won that game for them last night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #1055
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Osgood has impressed me so far this series, especially in game 2.

He was really good in Game 2. Especially in that first period.

Quote:
I've always believed the Wings have won in spite of and not because of him but he won that game for them last night.

SI

You and pretty much everyone else in the world. You would have figured that after what he did last year in the playoffs all this would have finally been put to rest, but it wasn't. The fact that he had a horrendous regular season this year didn't help.

I am not sure if there's anything Osgood could ever do, short of leaving the Wings for a lesser team and leading that team to a Cup (which will never happen since he's non-Red Wings days are behind him), that will ever really convince people otherwise.

The fans here, however, especially those that go to the games, have really rallied behind him. His teammates and coaches completely believe in him. So, that's all that really matters.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #1056
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Osgood has impressed me so far this series, especially in game 2. I've always believed the Wings have won in spite of and not because of him but he won that game for them last night.

SI

Haven't we all been thinking this for years, and somehow always end up wrong?

I think he's viewed that way universally though. Any one else with his numbers (400+ wins, 3 cups) would be a slam dunk HOFer with a different name and jersey.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #1057
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Haven't we all been thinking this for years, and somehow always end up wrong?

I think he's viewed that way universally though. Any one else with his numbers (400+ wins, 3 cups) would be a slam dunk HOFer with a different name and jersey.

Yeah, but it's kindof the Phil Jackson/Joe Torre syndrome, but for a player instead of coach: "if I had those players around me, I could win multiple rings".

We're not talking about transplanting Brodeur to Detroit- we're talking about a fair comparison. I just did a quick run to hockey-reference.com and looked up active players with games played for a keeper. Who's closest to Osgood? Kolzig. Similar ages, identical save percentage but he's got 2000 more shots on goal over his career and a higher GAA since he's played on worse teams. So, the obvious question- if you put Kolzig on Detroit and Osgood on Washington for the majority of their careers- who are we talking about and how right now?

Is Kolzig a slam dunk HOF'er?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-21-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #1058
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I used to think that the Wings won in spite of Osgood, rather than because of him, during his first stint with the team. Yes, he had good days like most other professional netminders, but he also had some epic meltdowns as well.

But something seemed to happen to him while he was away from the team those few years (playing for the Islanders and the Blues), and when he returned to the team after the lockout it seemed to me like his head no longer was getting in the way of his natural abilities.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #1059
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yeah, but it's kindof the Phil Jackson/Joe Torre syndrome, but for a player instead of coach: "if I had those players around me, I could win multiple rings".

We're not talking about transplanting Brodeur to Detroit- we're talking about a fair comparison. I just did a quick run to hockey-reference.com and looked up active players with games played for a keeper. Who's closest to Osgood? Kolzig. Similar ages, identical save percentage but he's got 2000 more shots on goal over his career and a higher GAA since he's played on worse teams. So, the obvious question- if you put Kolzig on Detroit and Osgood on Washington for the majority of their careers- who are we talking about and how right now?

Is Kolzig a slam dunk HOF'er?

SI

I think the one thing that folks have on Osgood is that he never really accomplished much during the 3 years he was not in Detroit. He never won a playoff series for the Islanders or the Blues.

That said, he had a winning regular season record each of those years and has save percentage was only below .900 in 02-03 and his overall goals against was never above 2.95. Those aren't great numbers, but decent.

The "Should Osgood be in the hall of fame" discussion happens pretty much weekly on Detroit sports talk radio. To be honest, I can't stand any "should X be or not be in the Hall Of Fame" discussions. I find them very annoying and pointless.

That being said, if the Wings some how manage to win the Cup this year, I can't see how he doesn't make it. Everyone acknowledges that playoffs are the "real" season. That's where it really counts. Winning a Cup is often considered the difference between a "good" and "great" career. It'd be hard to imagine that a goalie with 400+ regular season wins, the winningest goalie in Red Wing history, and a goalie who won 3 Cups as a starter (and another as a back-up) not make it.

If Kolzing had won 3 Cups as a starter, yes, he would be a slam dunk HOF'er.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #1060
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Anyone spotted any defense in the Pens/Canes game yet? I can't find any.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #1061
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Anyone spotted any defense in the Pens/Canes game yet? I can't find any.

Here's hoping for 10-8 final
Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #1062
DataKing
Pro Rookie

That back-hander by Malkin was sick.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #1063
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Turn. Spin. Back-hand roofer! THAT MAKES YOU A MONSTER!!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #1064
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's hoping for 10-8 final

You were close

Tho the first ten minutes were just stupid. It looked like the All Star Game.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-21-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #1065
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Turn. Spin. Back-hand roofer! THAT MAKES YOU A MONSTER!!

Never thought I'd say this...but Thank God I am watching on VS!

Pens Asst GM Cliff Fletcher taking the GM job in Minnesota...which means one less job for PM
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #1066
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You were close

Tho the first ten minutes were just stupid. It looked like the All Star Game.

SI

Seemed pretty likely. MAF was looking really shaky. And Ward...I've never seen him that bad. Sure, some of those are understandable-- Crosby's was on the doorstep, Malkin's were all in tight, and the HT goal was just ridiculous-- but he seemed off. Any Canes games I've ever seen Ward has been at the very least solid.

I don't care how much of a superstar Mad Max is, Ward should make that save.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #1067
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
That back-hander by Malkin was sick.

Double Dola

Going forward on the faceoff...scooping up the puck behind the net. Shades of 66.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #1068
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Seemed pretty likely. MAF was looking really shaky. And Ward...I've never seen him that bad. Sure, some of those are understandable-- Crosby's was on the doorstep, Malkin's were all in tight, and the HT goal was just ridiculous-- but he seemed off. Any Canes games I've ever seen Ward has been at the very least solid.

I don't care how much of a superstar Mad Max is, Ward should make that save.

This. Ward's picked a splended time to revert to pumpkin/first-half-of-season form. Yes, the defense sucked, but there have been other games this playoffs where they've left him out to dry and he handled it much better than he did tonight. Ward's really looked very ordinary since Game 2 of the Boston series.

It also doesn't help that Carolina's power play continues to be abysmal. It doesn't matter much that they're generally keeping the Pens at bay on the kill if they don't score on the PP. Pittsburgh's got the better tools at 5-on-5, so they need better specialty teams play to make up for it and they've not gotten it since the playoffs started. Supposedly this was the main coaching duty Ron Francis was handed when he stepped behind the bench with Maurice and for a while, they were pretty effective, but it seems like everyone's figured out how to stop us since the playoffs started and right now there is zero confidence for any of our guys when we have the man advantage.

At any rate, I guess the game shows that Carolina can run-and-gun with the Pens for a while, but going 60 like that asking for a loss. Even so, Carolina has at least shown the Pens aren't simply going to blow them off the ice every game, but it goes without saying that they'll need to win both games in Raleigh to have any chance going forward.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #1069
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That Malkin backhand goal was incredible. With the way Crosby and Malkin are playing right now Pittsburgh is going to be a very, very difficult team to beat in a series.

Where's Mike Richards when you need him?

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-22-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #1070
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Where's Mike Richards when you need him?

In Philly with both shoulders in slings.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #1071
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
In Philly with both shoulders in slings.

That's not helpful to anyone.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #1072
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anaheim fans I now take back Mike Brown's game misconduct. He was boned and Kronwall was boned just as badly.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #1073
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Joey Crawford is reffing this game.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #1074
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Anaheim fans I now take back Mike Brown's game misconduct. He was boned and Kronwall was boned just as badly.

Yeah, that penalty was awful. Apparently, hard hitting hockey isn't allowed anymore.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #1075
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heh...you better not. You guys don't score on that major, we might have taken that game. And then Kronwall would not have been around to get boned in this series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #1076
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

By the book, Havlat never touched the puck. I know that's hard to pin on Kronwall, and the call was based on the result rather than the intent, but it was still interference.

Somewhere in the regular season thread is a discussion about Colton Orr hitting Mark Eaton and getting a 5 min interference major. The way the rule is written, if the interference call is made, and the hit results in an injury, the 5 min version MUST be called.

Maybe not within games themselves, but I'd say the officiating has been consistent across similar situations in the playoffs. Kronwall and Mike Brown treated the same, AO and Cooke's knee on knee hits treated the same, and Kunitz on Varlamov/Walker on Ward/Bayda on Letang all fined, but not suspended.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #1077
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Just a quick note that I've started digitizing some of my old hockey tapes, and have created a youtube channel where I'll be uploading clips:
YouTube - DownGoesBrown's Channel

So far it's been a lot of 1993 and '94 playoff stuff, although I have quite a bit of content up through about 2004.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #1078
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Paging Cam Ward. Paging Cam Ward. You are wanted on the ice.

Is the Vice President in town and someone threatening to blow up the RBC Center?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #1079
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It was a fun ride while it lasted, but Pittsburgh is just a buzzsaw right now and Carolina has pretty much abandoned all pretenses of the play and effort that got them here. Malkin in particular is playing absurdly well right now (though admittedly our swiss cheese defense is probably making him look even better than he is). If the Pens can keep it up, I think they'd eat up Chicago and will be much more of a match for Detroit this year than they were last year.

I'd still like to get one win out of this even if only to avoid having such a thudding end to the season after such a tremendous ride over the last couple of months.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #1080
henry296
College Starter

Can someone explain to me why Malkin's first goal was not unassisted since I think it was Corvo who played the puck into Malkin's body.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #1081
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Can someone explain to me why Malkin's first goal was not unassisted since I think it was Corvo who played the puck into Malkin's body.

Actually, it was Gleason, but yeah, that makes no sense he doesn't get an unassisted for that one. Maybe Gleason should've gotten the assist. Or better yet, maybe because Crosby demanded he get an assist.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-23-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #1082
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
It was a fun ride while it lasted, but Pittsburgh is just a buzzsaw right now and Carolina has pretty much abandoned all pretenses of the play and effort that got them here. Malkin in particular is playing absurdly well right now (though admittedly our swiss cheese defense is probably making him look even better than he is). If the Pens can keep it up, I think they'd eat up Chicago and will be much more of a match for Detroit this year than they were last year.

I'd still like to get one win out of this even if only to avoid having such a thudding end to the season after such a tremendous ride over the last couple of months.

MAF still worries me against the Wings. He's not playing near the level he was in the playoffs last year.

I think a bigger difference will be the style change. Remember games 1 and 2 of the SCF last season, both games ended in shutouts (I think 4-0 and 3-0), and the Pens struggled to break 20 shots per game. Since the change to Bylsma, they are outshooting the opponent in 13 straight games now, and have broken 40 like 10 of those.

I am not expecting 40+ vs the Wings, 25-30 consistently
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #1083
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

The Carolina player (Gleason) never controls the puck. He whacks at it in desperation as Malkin descends on him, but that's not enough. It would be interesting to see if contact like that would have been considered enough to blow down a play on a delayed penalty, but I wouldn't fault a ref who let it play in the scenario either. Just contacting the puck isn't enough to gain possession.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #1084
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone see this?
NHL Poll - who is the best player in Hockey (according to a Sports Illustred poll).
1. Alex Ovechkin - 51%
2. Nicklas Lidstrom - 11%
3. E Malkin - 7%
4. P. Datsyuk - 7%
5. J. Iginila - 5%
6. H. Zetterberg - 5%

That is pretty crazy that Sid didn't crack the top 6. I suspect a lot of voting was out of spite.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1085
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oof. No Lidstrom or Dats today. Lidstrom misses his first career playoff game.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #1086
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Doesn't look like the Wings are missing Nicky today...3-zip so far.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1087
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Havlet gets rocked again, this tine by Stuart.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #1088
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Chicago gets a needed goal on the PP. What a shock that Detroit gives up a PP goal.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #1089
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LOL!

And Hossa scores about 5 seconds later.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #1090
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Huet looks bad.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1091
DeToxRox
Head Coach

5-1 now. A stupid penalty by Versteeg on a delayed call makes it 5 on 3 and Z buries it.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #1092
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

How embarrassing for Chicago
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #1093
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's sad that Chicago keeps thinking guys like Kronwall are going to drop them. It's not happening but they sure keep trying.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #1094
Schmidty
Coordinator

Not to be mean to Hawks fans, but I was laughing my ass off during the 2nd and 3rd periods. What an idiotic meltdown.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #1095
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That really was a bit embarassing for Chicago. You can't overlook the effect the Kronwall hit from Game 3 had on this game. It got the Hawks in a bit of a tizzy to start the game, thinking "revenge" from the moment the puck dropped. Once it got 2-0 and then 4-1, it was a total meltdown. Their youth really showed yesterday. They will be a good team for a long time, but they need to mature a bit more.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #1096
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The first of many 'Hossa returning to Pittsburgh' articles

For Hossa, final vs. Penguins would be 'interesting'
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #1097
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

First time in the conference finals in years and this is what we do? Just pathetic. I thought after Game 3, we might have a series, particularly since Game 2 was eminently winnable. But, no

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-25-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #1098
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is this NHL serious with this?

Quote:
NHL considers moving up Stanley Cup finals dates
by Ansar Khan
Monday May 25, 2009, 1:30 PM

The Stanley Cup finals might start Saturday night, rather than Friday, June 5, as originally planned. If Pittsburgh wraps up the Eastern Conference finals Tuesday in Game 4 and the Red Wings finish off Chicago Wednesday in Game 5, I'm told the NHL might start the finals with back-to-back games Saturday and Sunday nights, in Detroit.

Games 3 and 4 would be in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, June 2, and Thursday, June 4.

That is still unofficial, though. And if Carolina wins tomorrow, it will be moot. But the league wanted to avoid having eight days between games if both series were wrapped up by Wednesday.

So we have 3 day layoffs for the Conference Finals, but back to back for the SCF potentially? Unreal.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #1099
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

So we have 3 day layoffs for the Conference Finals, but back to back for the SCF potentially? Unreal.

Pin this one on the NHL and NBC. With NBC rolling out the new Tonight Show with Conan next week, they do not want to see any overtime games that could cut into Conan's audience. Putting games on Saturday and Sunday limits this possibility. Pretty ridiculous...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #1100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I really don't hope they do this. I am going to Switzerland for a wedding this Thursday and wont be back to the following Wednesday. Under this currenty schedule, I'd miss games 1-3.

To that end: Go 'Canes! Win at least one game, maybe two. I'm not asking you to win the series or anything.

I agree. Having back-to-back games for the Finals is ridiculous. Assuming the Pens advance, you have two potential dream match-ups: Detroit v. Crosby and Malkin Part II or the Young Hawks vs. Crosby and Malkin. Why dilute your product by having games on back-to-back nights?