Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #1051
sooner333
College Starter

Currently there are 12 teams in the top 34 who will be conference champions...fewer possibly if there are some upsets. Technically, that would give the Big Ten seven if it is all done by the RPI, but it's not necessarily done that way. Michigan probably has a leg up on Minnesota if they take out teams.

If you want to know those conferences are (I just took the top RPI team from each conference):

Big East (Pitt)
ACC (UNC)
Big 12 (Oklahoma)
Big Ten (Michigan State)
Conference USA (Memphis)
Mountain West (Utah)
Pac Ten (Washington)
A-10 (Xavier)
Horizon (Butler)
Metro Atlantic (Siena)
WAC (Utah State)
WCC (Gonzaga)
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #1052
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Yeah, Groundhog...this is one you're gonna wanna watch.

Someone on another forum ruined it for me. Glad I didn't wait to watch it tonight now.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #1053
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Here is the RPI/SOS/records for the B10 teams:

RPI Rk Big Ten Conf All RPI SOS Rk SOS
6 Michigan St. 15-3 25-5 0.6496 6 0.5944
20 Illinois 11-7 23-8 0.6139 26 0.5755
31 Purdue 11-7 22-9 0.5988 36 0.5694
36 Ohio St. 10-8 20-9 0.5960 30 0.5724
38 Wisconsin 10-8 18-11 0.5927 11 0.5864
41 Minnesota 9-9 20-9 0.5911 40 0.5659
42 Michigan 9-9 18-12 0.5886 10 0.5903
63 Penn St. 10-8 21-10 0.5689 82 0.5389
71 Northwestern 8-10 17-12 0.5616 46 0.5612
112 Iowa 5-13 15-16 0.5284 51 0.5592
211 Indiana 1-17 5-24 0.4752 5 0.5960

I believe 34 at-large teams make it and, obviously, a number of conference champions will be in the top 34 of the RPI. I would be pretty shocked to see any B10 team with .500+ conference record and an RPI under 50ish to not be considered pretty close to a lock.

I think 5 are a lock. Beyond that, not so sure. I think likely one more gets in. This is all assuming one of the "locks" wins the tourney.

Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State and Wisky are in. Likely just one of Minny, UoM and Penn St get in after that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #1054
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think 5 are a lock. Beyond that, not so sure. I think likely one more gets in. This is all assuming one of the "locks" wins the tourney.

Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State and Wisky are in. Likely just one of Minny, UoM and Penn St get in after that.

FWIW.....here's the latest Bracketology 101 rankings, which have been the most accurate predictors of the NCAA field. They discuss the Big 11 teams......

Bracketology 101: Bracketology 101's Field of 65 - March 9
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #1055
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Here is the RPI/SOS/records for the B10 teams:

RPI Rk Big Ten Conf All RPI SOS Rk SOS
6 Michigan St. 15-3 25-5 0.6496 6 0.5944
20 Illinois 11-7 23-8 0.6139 26 0.5755
31 Purdue 11-7 22-9 0.5988 36 0.5694
36 Ohio St. 10-8 20-9 0.5960 30 0.5724
38 Wisconsin 10-8 18-11 0.5927 11 0.5864
41 Minnesota 9-9 20-9 0.5911 40 0.5659
42 Michigan 9-9 18-12 0.5886 10 0.5903
63 Penn St. 10-8 21-10 0.5689 82 0.5389
71 Northwestern 8-10 17-12 0.5616 46 0.5612
112 Iowa 5-13 15-16 0.5284 51 0.5592
211 Indiana 1-17 5-24 0.4752 5 0.5960

I believe 34 at-large teams make it and, obviously, a number of conference champions will be in the top 34 of the RPI. I would be pretty shocked to see any B10 team with .500+ conference record and an RPI under 50ish to not be considered pretty close to a lock.

I'll buy the first 5, but Michigan and Minnesota? Come on. 9-9 when you're playing other mediocre teams and have a guaranteed win or two versus this year's Indiana squad is not impressive at all. Throw in the pansy out of conference schedule and it's weak at best.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #1056
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bubble teams get their first scare game tonight. Cleveland State plays Butler tonight for their conference championship. Cleveland State has won 11 of 13 and had close losses in both their meetings with Butler. Cleveland State also beat Syracuse earlier this year. A Cleveland State win means one less at-large bid for the big conferences.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #1057
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I'll buy the first 5, but Michigan and Minnesota? Come on. 9-9 when you're playing other mediocre teams and have a guaranteed win or two versus this year's Indiana squad is not impressive at all. Throw in the pansy out of conference schedule and it's weak at best.

As most on here know, I am far from a Michigan fan (in either sport), but are you serious about the pansy out of conference schedule? They have wins over Duke and UCLA and their only OOC losses were to Duke (not a typo, they played once in a preseason tourney and then again later on) and Maryland (not an elite team, but mid-60s RPI is very solid and far from a bad loss).

Minnesota has an RPI of 41, went undefeated OOC w/ a win over Louisville (a top 10 RPI team and the BE champ), has 20 wins and a .500 record in the #2 RPI conference in the country, and no bad losses.

And, the thing about Indiana is that they are really the only tough out in the conference. Iowa is the only other team in the B10 that is outside the RPI top 75 and they are not "that" bad at 112. That is why, unless Iowa or Indiana upset someone, teams like Minny, Michigan, and Wisconsin can really only help themselves, profile/resume-wise, in the conference tournament.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #1058
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol at Michigans pansy schedule. We played UConn even up in Storrs in February for most of the game before passing out. Played Duke twice, UCLA and Maryland. UM sos is 11 nationally. Come on about pansies.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #1059
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
(Michigan) has wins over Duke and UCLA and their only OOC losses were to Duke (not a typo, they played once in a preseason tourney and then again later on) and Maryland (not an elite team, but mid-60s RPI is very solid and far from a bad loss).

Minnesota has an RPI of 41, went undefeated OOC w/ a win over Louisville (a top 10 RPI team and the BE champ), has 20 wins and a .500 record in the #2 RPI conference in the country, and no bad losses.

The .500 record is the sticking point. Just based on the last three tournaments, the key to getting a bid if you're in one of the BCS conference is to get 20 wins in the regular season AND have a +.500 conference record. In the last three years, 100 out of 101 teams who met both those criteria made the NCAA tourney. If you don't have 20 wins in the regular season or have a .500 or less conference record, your changes of making the tourney drop significantly. Most likely, Minnesota and Michigan will need at least one win in the tourney and maybe two wins to play their way into the Dance.

Quote:
And, the thing about Indiana is that they are really the only tough out in the conference. Iowa is the only other team in the B10 that is outside the RPI top 75 and they are not "that" bad at 112.

By the same token, it could also be argued that Ohio State is the only quality team in the conference. Every team except OSU has at least 7 losses in conference play. Just depends on whether you believe it's parity or a bunch of so-so teams who lack consistancy.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #1060
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
lol at Michigans pansy schedule. We played UConn even up in Storrs in February for most of the game before passing out. Played Duke twice, UCLA and Maryland. UM sos is 11 nationally. Come on about pansies.

OK...was lumping you lot in with Penn St and Minny
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #1061
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
By the same token, it could also be argued that Ohio State is the only quality team in the conference. Every team except OSU has at least 7 losses in conference play. Just depends on whether you believe it's parity or a bunch of so-so teams who lack consistancy.

Not sure what you mean -- Ohio State finished fourth in the B10.

I'm no fan of the Big 10 (see Rich Rod and John Beilein defections), but just quickly looking over their OOC wins: Michigan St. over Kansas and Oklahoma, Illinois over Mizzou, Purdue over B.C., Ohio State over Butler/Miami/Notre Dame, Minnesota over Louisville, Michigan over Duke and UCLA, NW over Florida State. They have some pretty strong OOC wins.

I would be surprised if there is a Final Four team in there, with maybe the exception of Michigan State, but I think it is a pretty good league overall. Not as top heavy as the Big East or ACC or probably even the B12, but for its size, more depth and fewer below average teams.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #1062
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh Swaggs, RichRod I get, but come on, you did get Huggy to replace Belien. At worst for you that was a wash

But seriously, as I do not remember WVU outside of tourney play under Coach B; does he usually run the gauntlet OOC like he has the first two years here? I love the fact we've faced so many solid teams, though I know he said last year we would not play as tough a schedule, and yet we still have.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #1063
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Sorry, meant Michigan State, not Ohio State.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #1064
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oh Swaggs, RichRod I get, but come on, you did get Huggy to replace Belien. At worst for you that was a wash

But seriously, as I do not remember WVU outside of tourney play under Coach B; does he usually run the gauntlet OOC like he has the first two years here? I love the fact we've faced so many solid teams, though I know he said last year we would not play as tough a schedule, and yet we still have.

I'm thrilled with Huggins, but Beilein left at a pretty bad time. He had just brought it 7 freshmen and a transfer to his system, which, as you know, is pretty unique. He also failed to go all out after some rare in-state talent during his last year or so (Billy Walker, O.J. Mayo, and Patrick Patterson), almost as if WVU was incapable of being considered for players of that calibre. He did a great job, but I feel like he had been looking to get out for awhile (looked at Indiana and NC State previously) and he seemed to believe that he would never be able to get top-notch recruits to WVU (which Huggins has been able to do). He doesn't get the Rich Rod treatment (Rod is an alum and had a lot of ties), but he or Michigan never asked permission to interview (which is obviously not required, but is usually considered a courtesy) and then fought his buyout. Everyone had always considered him a really classy guy and that wore a lot of luster off of him.

Plus, Beilein's offense was a lot of fun to watch (more on that in a moment) and got a lot of national attention. Like I said, I am very happy with Huggs and the talent and intensity he has brought (we hadn't had an NBA player in over 25 years and he comes in and transforms a marginal prospect like Joe Alexander into a lottery pick?), but after watching Beilein's offense, most other offenses looks out of sync and awkward.

All that said, here is what I think about Beilein, unobjectively. We were able to beat a lot of OOC teams with Beilein here -- I can quickly recall beating (during the regular season) UCLA twice (while they were having very good seasons), LSU, NC State a couple of times, Oklahoma, Maryland, Tennessee, and Florida -- teams that had more talent, but Beilein outcoached and we shot well. We also slipped up several times and lost to teams that we should not have, when our shots were not falling. His offense is so disciplined that, if shots are not falling, there is little wiggle room for creating offense off of 1 on 1s. We notably lost to Marshall several times during his tenure.

I think, at Michigan, he actually will be able to bring in better players than he had at WVU and I think he will be successful. His teams are tough to play/beat in tournaments, because his offense and defense (the 1-3-1) are so unorthodox that it takes time to prepare for, which you do not have when you are playing every day or two. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent B10 tourney run this season from Michigan.

This next part is pretty much my own speculation, but there is some decent evidence to support it. I think Big East teams had gotten familiar enough with his style, that he was starting to struggle to beat them as consistently the final two years at WVU, even though we continued to have success in national tournaments against teams that were unfamiliar against us. I think that he recognizes/recognized this and likes to move on every 5-years or so, so that he can get a fresh start. He never seems to stay at one school for more than 5 or 6 years and his tenures always seem to take the same trajectory. I would expect some national success in the next 3-4 years at Michigan and then it will be interesting to see if he sticks around or moves on.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #1065
Radii
Head Coach

So do big east fans like this 5 day tournament? Its a 16 team conference... 1 v 16, 2 vs 15, etc etc, 4 day single elimination fits kinda nice :P I assume the reason its structured this way instead is to limit the top 4 teams to 3 games to keep them rested for the NCAA Tournament, but it just looks like a giant ugly mess to me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #1066
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
So do big east fans like this 5 day tournament? Its a 16 team conference... 1 v 16, 2 vs 15, etc etc, 4 day single elimination fits kinda nice :P I assume the reason its structured this way instead is to limit the top 4 teams to 3 games to keep them rested for the NCAA Tournament, but it just looks like a giant ugly mess to me.

they claim they also wanted to get every team in.

Speaking of the Big East, I am sad to see my old school, CIncinnati, limp to the finish. Lost 3 in a row, including Seton Hall and USF, and are now struggling to beat DePaul.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #1067
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

The 1-4 vs. 13-16 games would have been a waste of everyone's time. Rewards the teams by order of their finish too which makes the regular season more meaningful.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #1068
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
The 1-4 vs. 13-16 games would have been a waste of everyone's time. Rewards the teams by order of their finish too which makes the regular season more meaningful.

I don't see how a 9 vs 16 game followed by a 9 vs 8 game to see who gets to play Louisville is any less waste of time than Louisville playing winless DePaul. In fact its a greater waste of time as it adds a completely unnecessary day to the tournament. If that's the argument it seems like they should have kept it a 12 team tournament and just not allowed the bottom four teams in.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #1069
molson
General Manager

I love the BE setup.

I like gradual build-up to the big names. There's the "play-in" day, then the winners get to take on the "good" teams, and then the survivors of all that get to take on the "great" teams. There's a certain elegance to that, though it does look like a mess at first glance.

And I like that for one day, the spotlight shines on the "other" teams. Look at Depaul - they didn't win a single conference game, and they're about to knock of Cincinnatti. That's the highlight of their entire season.

It also gives the "good" teams a chance for an "easy" win in the tournament. Take my team (Syracuse). They should be good for one tournament win vs. the winner of Seton Hall/South Florida. They've earned the shot to play a weaker team, and if they win that, they've earned the chance to take on UConn. It's hard to articulate, but the "correct" Syracuse run in the BE tournament just feels like it should be an easy win followed by a loss to UConn.

And I like that everyone is invited. I'm sure DePaul doesn't consider it a "waste of time" to take the trip to NYC. It's like big Big East party/celebration. I like that everyone gets to go.

Last edited by molson : 03-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #1070
hoopsguy
General Manager

DePaul loves the format.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #1071
Radii
Head Coach

FYI, all the above comments do make sense. Its just that for any number of teams you can come up with, there is automatically one tournament format that makes the most sense. For 16 teams, its clearly 4 single elimination rounds.

What the big east does is fine, it just offends my need for symmetry in these things on first glance
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #1072
molson
General Manager

I think the other issue with the straight 16-team tournament is you'd either have to do 8 games in one day, or somehow decide who gets the extra day of rest between games.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #1073
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
FYI, all the above comments do make sense. Its just that for any number of teams you can come up with, there is automatically one tournament format that makes the most sense. For 16 teams, its clearly 4 single elimination rounds.

What the big east does is fine, it just offends my need for symmetry in these things on first glance

lol, I like it to for all the reasons Molson said.

Plus it is held at MSG and gives fans of the lower tier schools a chance to travel. Rutgers and St. Johns are typical bottom feeders in the league, I like the fact they get to play since their fans are so close. If I was still in the area I would be going to the RU game for sure.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #1074
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I don't see how a 9 vs 16 game followed by a 9 vs 8 game to see who gets to play Louisville is any less waste of time than Louisville playing winless DePaul. In fact its a greater waste of time as it adds a completely unnecessary day to the tournament. If that's the argument it seems like they should have kept it a 12 team tournament and just not allowed the bottom four teams in.

The games today are certainly a waste of time. Cincinnatti-DePaul? Ridiculous. The fact that ESPN chose not to televise a portion of its primary partner's tournament should tell everyone what a waste of time these games are.

This was a compromise between the faction who wanted to include everyone and the one that wanted protect the top seeds. Led to a terrible solution.

I guess it does not really affect me - I can still watch tomorrow when the real games start, and pretend the four play in games did not happen. Of course, I am not a Cincinnatti fan.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #1075
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

I'm no fan of the Big 10 (see Rich Rod and John Beilein defections), but just quickly looking over their OOC wins: Michigan St. over Kansas and Oklahoma, Illinois over Mizzou, Purdue over B.C., Ohio State over Butler/Miami/Notre Dame, Minnesota over Louisville, Michigan over Duke and UCLA, NW over Florida State. They have some pretty strong OOC wins.

I would be surprised if there is a Final Four team in there, with maybe the exception of Michigan State, but I think it is a pretty good league overall. Not as top heavy as the Big East or ACC or probably even the B12, but for its size, more depth and fewer below average teams.

Good points, but Michigan State did not beat Oklahoma, they beat Texas, I believe.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #1076
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I like that for one day, the spotlight shines on the "other" teams. Look at Depaul - they didn't win a single conference game, and they're about to knock of Cincinnatti. That's the highlight of their entire season.

It also gives the "good" teams a chance for an "easy" win in the tournament. Take my team (Syracuse). They should be good for one tournament win vs. the winner of Seton Hall/South Florida. They've earned the shot to play a weaker team, and if they win that, they've earned the chance to take on UConn. It's hard to articulate, but the "correct" Syracuse run in the BE tournament just feels like it should be an easy win followed by a loss to UConn.

I would dispute the "spotlight" point. The games are not on tv, and only girlfriends/parents are at the games (SJU will be the exception, somewhat). There is no spotlight on these games.

This format change also did not really change the prospects of the "good" (5-8 seeded) teams much. Under the previous format, Syracuse would have just played Seton Hall, with the winner facing UConn. Now, they'll play the winner of SHU/USF, and UConn if they win. In a straight, symmetric 16 team draw, they'd play Seton Hall with the winner playing the winner of UConn/USF. In all three cases, they'd be very likely to play Seton Hall then UConn.

This format actually hurt Providence today. They are largely considered the only Big East team on the bubble, and instead of getting a chance to get a respectable win before playing Louisville, they get a dreadful opponent.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1077
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Good article on CNN about how NOBODY else in the basketball or hockey worlds asks players to play on potentially 5 straight days:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ast/index.html
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #1078
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't see how a 9 vs 16 game followed by a 9 vs 8 game to see who gets to play Louisville is any less waste of time than Louisville playing winless DePaul.

Cincinnati took care of that whole "winless DePaul" thing
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #1079
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Good article on CNN about how NOBODY else in the basketball or hockey worlds asks players to play on potentially 5 straight days:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ast/index.html

I'm sure that potential 5th day pushes them over the edge to becoming gas pumpers.

This is such a silly argument. If we cared about the academics of players, there wouldn't be conference tournaments at all (see the Ivy League), and the NCAA tournament would be regionally based, with games on campus sites, to limit travel. And all season long, games would only occur on weekends, or weeknights to sites close enough to ensure that kids would be back home the night of the game.

Of course in reality, most of these players can barely read, and hardly any of them would be "college students" at schools like these without basketball - so that's the priority.

But back to the current format, the top teams only need to play 3 games at most, which definitely adds importance to the regular season. DePaul/Cincinnati was "meaningless" in the sense that neither team is going to win the Big East tournament, but we could certainly pare down the NCAA tournament to a dozen or so teams if that's the criteria.

Last edited by molson : 03-10-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #1080
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, to be fair to the Big East, there's the whole logistical problem of figuring out how to schedule eight first round games in a traditional 16-team bracket arrangement. The choice would likely be between splitting the tournament to two sites on one day (MSG and Newark/E Rutherford?) or spreading the first round over two days and determining what the fairest arrangement would be as to who would get that second day as a rest day. Presumably the top four seeds and their opponents would go first so that those top four seeds get the rest day, but potential upsets would mean that a bottom-four seed gets the rest day while a middle seed would have to play back-to-back against the upset winner.

I suppose you could do it all in one day...if you don't mind getting up at 6 AM for the first game and staying until midnight for the last one and no breaks the entire day to boot.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #1081
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bubble teams watching nervously as Cleveland State is up 56-54 against Butler with about 1 min to go (ESPN). If Butler loses, they'll still get an at-large bid

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #1082
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Bubble teams watching nervously as Cleveland State is up 56-54 against Butler with about 1 min to go (ESPN). If Butler loses, they'll still get an at-large bid

SI

yeah, that screws Davidson I think. Glad to see Gary Waters go to the tourny, I always thought he was a good coach at Rutgers who never stood a chance in the recruiting battle.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #1083
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah, that screws Davidson I think. Glad to see Gary Waters go to the tourny, I always thought he was a good coach at Rutgers who never stood a chance in the recruiting battle.

Davidson was screwed when they lost all but one game against the top 100 and were a member of the Southern Conference. This really screwed someone like Florida or Creighton.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #1084
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Davidson was out as soon as they lost that game. Their RPI and SOS just aren't good enough.

Bracketology 101 has St. Mary's as the only #13 at-large bid as of yesterday, which means they will be out after the Cleveland State win.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #1085
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My use of Davidson was an example, insert St Marys, Florida, Creighton, or whoever. I forgot how literally people take stuff around here.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #1086
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My use of Davidson was an example, insert St Marys, Florida, Creighton, or whoever. I forgot how literally people take stuff around here.

You have stepped into the pit of basketball geekdom.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #1087
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mike DeCourcey discusses the Big 11/Big East/ACC and how something's has to give in regards to at-large bids for these conferences........

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NCAA Basketball stats, scores, standings, and blogs from NCAA Basketball columnists

Quote:
Welcome to bubbleland

It will be interesting to see how the committee judges the cases of Virginia Tech and Maryland from the ACC and Providence from the Big East against those of the Big Ten's myriad bubble teams. Essentially, what's happened is the Hokies, Terps and Friars could not overtake their league's powerful elite whereas the Big Ten had a vast middle class that allowed many of its teams to pile up top 50 victories. The top four teams in the Big East combined for 13 conference losses and 17 overall. The top four in the ACC combined for 19 league losses and 22 overall. However, the top four Big Ten teams lost 25 conference games and 31 overall. It was much easier for teams such as Minnesota and Michigan to secure attractive victories inside their leagues. Generally, past committees have voted against teams that could not take advantage of the opportunities that come with having great teams such as North Carolina and Duke on their home courts, which is why the ACC has been awarded four or fewer bids six times since 1999.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-11-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #1088
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You have stepped into the pit of basketball geekdom.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #1089
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Are there any fans out there going to the Big 10 Tourney? If so let me know and maybe we can meet up!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #1090
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Don't look now but DePaul is up by 9 in the first half and Providence looks very tight
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #1091
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola-

8-o run by the Friars in about a 40 second span
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #1092
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Man, I can't believe how good the second day of the B12 tourney could be as far as matchups go.

KU vs. Baylor - Baylor has the offensive weapons when they're playing well to do a lot of damage. Many of KU's young players get their first B12 tourney game.

OU vs. OSU - Bedlam series on a neutral court in OK City. That'll be nuts.

MU vs. A&M - MU lost the season finale at College Station. A&M looks to solidify their NCAA credentials.

KSU vs. UT - KSU started UT's slide in the middle of the season with a win in Austin. Now KSU needs a win to have a shot at the bubble.

I may be leaving after lunch tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #1093
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola-

8-o run by the Friars in about a 40 second span

I dont think providence has any business being in this years tourney. Their big win agaisnt Pitt was horrible. Everything went their way and they still almost lost. Other than that they havent done or shown me anything. Just my 2 cents though
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #1094
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I dont think providence has any business being in this years tourney. Their big win agaisnt Pitt was horrible. Everything went their way and they still almost lost. Other than that they havent done or shown me anything. Just my 2 cents though

Their performance today didn't do anything to help them.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #1095
spleen1015
Coordinator

This thread needs some A-10 love!

St. Louis and La Salle going to overtime!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #1096
spleen1015
Coordinator

St. Louis wins a butt clencher 62-60 in OT.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Billikens!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #1097
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This thread needs some A-10 love!

St. Louis and La Salle going to overtime!

SLU won in overtime.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1098
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow - St. Johns with 3 field goals at halftime. That is not very good.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #1099
Swaggs
Coordinator

Syracuse and Seton Hall, in the midst of a tight game in the second half, are getting chippy.

First, a double technical and now a pretty nasty flagrant foul. Looked like there might be some ejections, but they went to break.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #1100
kingfc22
Head Coach

Very chippy game indeed