Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #1051
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Devils had to have done this before.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #1052
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It will be interesting to see how teams approach the trade deadline this year...

As for the Wings ...

I'd look for the Wings to grab a depth defensemen (not quite Rob Blake, but a step above Cory Cross). They don't want to be in a position where guys like Lilja and Quincey are forced into serious minutes due to injuries, like last year when Kronwall and Schneider went down. They may also look for a depth forward (Fedorov?).

I reckon Brad Stuart fits nicely in the above Cory Cross and not quite Rob Blake range.

Mr. Holland, I am still awaiting your call to become a member of the Braintrust.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #1053
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Sens fire John Paddock.

From coaching the all-star game to fired, in less than a month. Has anyone ever managed that before, in any sport?

Don't soccer clubs do this quite often?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #1054
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sens fire John Paddock.

From coaching the all-star game to fired, in less than a month. Has anyone ever managed that before, in any sport?

That's funny...yet the Leafs don't have the balls to fire Maurice...what gives??
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #1055
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
That's funny...yet the Leafs don't have the balls to fire Maurice...what gives??
No point. He'll be gone as soon as the new GM comes in. And besides, a new guy might coax a few extra wins out of the team and that's not what we need right now.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #1056
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No point. He'll be gone as soon as the new GM comes in. And besides, a new guy might coax a few extra wins out of the team and that's not what we need right now.

They waited too long to fire Junior and they've done the same with Maurice. The Leafs have been disinterested since before Christmas and whether that is Maurice's fault or not, he should've been canned simply because every Leaf has a no-trade clause and they aren't moving...proving yet again why Junior should've been done prior to this season...at the very least!!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #1057
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The Devils had to have done this before.

we wait until the last possible moment, thank you very much
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #1058
Galaxy
Coordinator

Bernier scored two goals (first two of the game in the first period) and one assist in his day-view as a Sabre. Still one more period to go.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-27-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #1059
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Including tonight, Leafs sort-of prospect Jeremy Williams has played three games, spread over three seasons, and has scored three goals.

That makes him the only player in NHL history with the at least three games in the NHL who has scored in every game he's ever played. You can probably win a few bar bets with that trivia question, at least until the next Leafs game.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #1060
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Marian Freaking Hossa next to Crosby!!!!!!

The Pens are only missing that nasty 3rd line to play against in the playoffs... oh wait, reports of Gary Roberts demise are premature, he skates today alongside Crosby before practice.

Ok, yeah, they are missing more, like a true #1 pairing D to play with Gonchar...and a settled goaltending position between Conklin and Fleury...but they had to vault themselves to, or close to, the top of the East.

Now they just need to hope every series in the West goes 7 games, each into multiple OTs, so that the winner of the West is demolished by the time they arrive in the finals.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #1061
Galaxy
Coordinator

What a crazy game! Buffalo-Nashville. It was like a bar brawl.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-27-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #1062
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What a crazy game! Buffalo-Nashville. It was like a bar brawl.

I was there live...great atmosphere, fun game, lots of fights, goals and even a penalty shot.

Bernier was a stud on day one. Instant crowd favourite in Buffalo.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #1063
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
I was there live...great atmosphere, fun game, lots of fights, goals and even a penalty shot.

Bernier was a stud on day one. Instant crowd favourite in Buffalo.

He was ready to fight at the end. But the Predator guy said no. He looks like he's re-engerized Roy and Vanek. Giving them a big, power player with an offensive game should really open that line up. I wonder how Vanek will be used now.

Bernier seems like he just wants to play hockey and have fun. I think he'll fit well with this team. As much crap as Reiger gets (and I think the higher-ups do handcuff him), he has a great nose for finding talent that fly under the radar or washout. I can't stand the Sabres forum. People don't seem to get the idea of a "salary cap" and being selective in who you have to keep.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-28-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #1064
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Now they just need to hope every series in the West goes 7 games, each into multiple OTs, so that the winner of the West is demolished by the time they arrive in the finals.

quoted for posterity.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #1065
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Marian Freaking Hossa next to Crosby!!!!!!

The Pens are only missing that nasty 3rd line to play against in the playoffs... oh wait, reports of Gary Roberts demise are premature, he skates today alongside Crosby before practice.

Ok, yeah, they are missing more, like a true #1 pairing D to play with Gonchar...and a settled goaltending position between Conklin and Fleury...but they had to vault themselves to, or close to, the top of the East.

Are you surprised that Therrien is pulling Malone off of Malkin's line to put him on with Staal and Hossa?

I agree with you on their defense, they have plenty of offensive defensemen with Whitney, Gonchar, and Letang, but no real shut down defensive guy.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #1066
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230739&hubname=nhl

Panthers' grant Kilger leave of absence

SUNRISE, Fla. - Chad Kilger, acquired by Florida in a trade with Toronto, was granted a leave of absence by the Panthers on Wednesday due to personal reasons.

Just one day after Kilger was sent to the Panthers by the Maple Leafs, the forward sat out when Florida faced his former team at home.

Kilger flew back to Toronto after meeting with Jacques Martin, the Panthers coach and general manager, and team officials said it wasn't known when he would return.

Martin was expected to talk about Kilger's situation on Thursday. Kilger missed five games earlier this season after being granted a leave of absence by the Maple Leafs.

Kilger, acquired just before the NHL trade deadline for a third-round draft pick, had 10 goals and seven assists in 53 games with Toronto.

---------------------------------

A quick update on this story. Reports now indicate that Kilger has returned to Toronto and is currently negotiating a retroactive no trade clause with Cliff Fletcher. Early indications are that the Leafs will reach an agreement with Kilger, the trade with Florida will be undone with Kilger returning to the Leafs and the Panthers getting their 3rd round pick back, and then Kilger will refuse to waive the clause.

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-28-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1067
MikeVic
Head Coach

Really H_B? Or are you just messing around with the no-trade clause stuff? I really don't know anymore.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #1068
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Really H_B? Or are you just messing around with the no-trade clause stuff? I really don't know anymore.

I am just messing around with the no-trade clause stuff, because it makes me laugh almost as much as that picture of that Maple Leaf kid giving Andrea Lilja the finger. Almost...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #1069
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I am just messing around with the no-trade clause stuff, because it makes me laugh almost as much as that picture of that Maple Leaf kid giving Andrea Lilja the finger. Almost...

It was believable...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #1070
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
quoted for posterity.

Anthony Smith is guaranteeing a Pens trip to the Finals.

Quote:
Are you surprised that Therrien is pulling Malone off of Malkin's line to put him on with Staal and Hossa?

I agree with you on their defense, they have plenty of offensive defensemen with Whitney, Gonchar, and Letang, but no real shut down defensive guy.

Um, the names Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi obviously mean nothing to you!

Seriously, and this probably through my black and gold glasses, but Gonchar has been solid in his own end, especially during this recent stretch since Crosby's been out. And Scuderi (now hurt) has played out of his cranium (my Myron Cope reference in a time of mouring). He should be, at best, on a 2nd pairining, probably 3rd pairing. He's not going to get confused with Pronger wrecking people, or Lidstrom position-wise, but he's been the biggest surprise in the lineup this season.

As far as Therrien moving Malone...no not surprised at all. Up until Crosby's injury, he had been changing lines on the fly during the game. The fact that line lasted 18 games or something is amazing to me.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #1071
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

There should be a rule against leaving your shield on when you fight.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #1072
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
There should be a rule against leaving your shield on when you fight.

I used to try that line with my girlfriends, but it never worked.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 02-28-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #1073
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hossa left the game in the first period in his first game with the Pens. Early reports say knee injury...mcl sprain.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #1074
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, almost March 1. Isn't time for Lou to fire his coach and take the Devils' reins to their usual second round playoff loss?

Oh, he's still coaching? Well, then, he's ahead of the game.

Incidentally, Barry Melrose said on a local radio show today that he feels the Ducks (as now composed) are still the best in the West, and the team to beat, despite current records (Wings way ahead, Stars a few points ahead). He also said he feels they are better than last year's team.

Hard to argue with the second part actually. Teemu and Niedermayer are fresher, and Getzlaf and Perry have gone from young potential to All Stars. Plus, they added Bertuzzi (replaces Penner) and Schneider.

I still think it's going to be a brutally competitive playoffs in the Western Conference (like the NBA).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 AM   #1075
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
All right, almost March 1. Isn't time for Lou to fire his coach and take the Devils' reins to their usual second round playoff loss?

Oh, he's still coaching? Well, then, he's ahead of the game.

sutter will at least last the year

i feel pretty good about the devils right now, but i dont want them to win the #1 seed.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #1076
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Incidentally, Barry Melrose said on a local radio show today that he feels the Ducks (as now composed) are still the best in the West, and the team to beat, despite current records (Wings way ahead, Stars a few points ahead). He also said he feels they are better than last year's team.

Hard to argue with the second part actually. Teemu and Niedermayer are fresher, and Getzlaf and Perry have gone from young potential to All Stars. Plus, they added Bertuzzi (replaces Penner) and Schneider.

I still think it's going to be a brutally competitive playoffs in the Western Conference (like the NBA).

Way to go out on a limb there, Barry...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #1077
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Way to go out on a limb there, Barry...

Getting an endorsement from Barry Melrose is like getting one from Beano Cook...the kiss of death. Nice knowing you Ducks.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #1078
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just read this article in the New York times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/sports/hockey/29hockey.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

It's about Russia luring NHL stars back home and how Russian leagues are slowly becoming more competitive with the NHL. The fact that the poster boy for this return of NHL stars it the Motherland is Yashin makes the whole thing pretty laughable. The reasons the Times considers for Yashin's return to Russia are him being bitter about his NHL experience, after getting bought out by the Islanders, or a sense of Russian pride. Uh, yeah, right. Let me throw out one other possibility: he sucks and no one in the NHL was willing to pay him anything close to what he was asking for because he, well, sucks. He's not a hard worker or, by all accounts, are great teammate. The other "stars" mentioned in the article are the ancient, slow, and injury-riddled Darius Kasparitis and middling NHLers like Oleg Tverdosky and Oleg Petrov. Yeah, I'd but THAT for a $1.

Apparently Fetisov, now the head of Russia's national sports agency, is bitter about Russians going to the NHL. To the Times' credit, they point out the hypocrisy by noting that Fetisov was one of the first Russians to make the leap to the NHL. I mean, seriously Fetisov. You started the trend. Folks talked glowingly about all the abuse he suffered during his early years in the NHL and how hard it was for him to blaze the trial for other Russians to make their way to the NHL, to freedom, and fat loots. And now he's going to be bitter? STFU, Fetisov.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #1079
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, Carol Alt is married to Yashin? She used to be married to Ron Greschner.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #1080
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Getting an endorsement from Barry Melrose is like getting one from Beano Cook...the kiss of death. Nice knowing you Ducks.

Heh...we'll see. If it does, I might fly to Bristol and firebomb his house.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #1081
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres look like crap last night. This team has the talent, they just seem to make a lot of dumb plays and don't show up every night.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #1082
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Did NHL.com always have those bush league, fake Windows interface type banner ads all over it? Or is that recent?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #1083
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina wishes to thank a pair of teams tonight. First, a thank you to Toronto for putting down the Caps tonight. Secondly, a hearty thanks to Chicago for Tuomo Ruutu and especially Sergei Samsonov. Ruutu had a goal and an assist while Samsonov bagged a pair of goals in a 5-1 rout of Tampa. Samsonov has tallied 11 goals since coming to Carolina, five coming on this homestand that Carolina went 4-1-1 on.

Carolina's now up five on Washington but the Caps still hold two games in hand.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #1084
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, DD, Svatos and Smyth are done for the season.

Granted, all hope is not lost, as they played inspired hockey over the last month without their first line. Can they do it again?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #1085
Vince
Pro Starter

I know that Campbell is not the be-all, end-all, but damned if this wasn't exciting:

Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #1086
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Sorry, DD, Svatos and Smyth are done for the season.

Granted, all hope is not lost, as they played inspired hockey over the last month without their first line. Can they do it again?

well, I don't think Smyth is officially done for the year. No shocker on Svatos - he has yet to play a full NHL season. His career high is 66 games. We can win without both, IMO, but can't really absorb too many more injuries up front.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #1087
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting article:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287
Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #1088
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Crosby is back tonight
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #1089
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Crosby is back tonight

All they did while he was out...was go 11-6-4, and move into first in the East.

Also, glad you are here breaking the Pens news bsak. I am never on at work anymore...damn man, holding me down.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #1090
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I know that Campbell is not the be-all, end-all, but damned if this wasn't exciting:

that was a great move by Campbell and some terrific passing to set it up...
but what exactly was Price doing there? That looked awful.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #1091
Galaxy
Coordinator

Great effort by Campbell to keep himself onside.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #1092
Galaxy
Coordinator

Man, I cannot stand Versus.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #1093
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It was annoying to hear that NHLPA guy in the booth for so long. I think this is the D team as far as announcing crews go.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #1094
Galaxy
Coordinator

And the Sidney Crosby lovefest every game (even when he isn't playing that game) annoys the hell out of me.

1) Call the damn game.

2) Show some passion in calling it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #1095
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
And the Sidney Crosby lovefest every game (even when he isn't playing that game) annoys the hell out of me.

I can finally say I totally agree with a Sabers fan.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #1096
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I can finally say I totally agree with a Sabers fan.

Just did it again. You a Flyers or Pens fan?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #1097
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers....but I live near Pittsburgh so I get to hear everyone fawn all over Crosby.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #1098
Galaxy
Coordinator

How many times Crosby is mentioned during an entire game on VS would make for a terrific drinking game.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-04-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #1099
bbor
Pro Starter

Hey Pumpy

Toronto announcers just called White a good defenceman....care to cooment?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #1100
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Hey Pumpy

Toronto announcers just called White a good defenceman....care to cooment?
Yeah, I heard that shit. Funny how they said that when his great defensive play was only necessary to cover up for a turnover that he made himself! He doesn't have to go back and sweep the puck off anybody's stick if he doesn't give the puck away to begin with. Way to go, bundle dick.

I was getting pretty tired of the Toronto commentators arguing over whether Johnny Oduya hit one of the Leafs from behind, too. I mean, if they want to disagree about it, fine, but they continued to argue about it for a full five minutes after it happened. It was like one of the commentators (the one who thought Oduya committed a penalty) wanted to blame the loss on a bad non-call. Could it perhaps have been related to the Leafs being unable to put the puck into the net on one end and being in slow motion on the other end? No? It was just the non-penalty, right?

I only saw the third period of the game, but from the highlights, I guess Brodeur should've gotten the first star. If the Devils had played a competent team, though, Brodeur gives up 3 goals in the third period alone. He put himself out of position, he was falling down behind the net, he was turning the puck over, and so forth. The only reason the Devils were able to hold a lead was because the Leafs couldn't shoot a puck into Lake Ontario if you put them on a boat and sailed them halfway out there.

But, uh, yeah. I wanted to slap the guy who said that Colin White was good.