Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #1051
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Maybe he should join the vagina society where all you should do is complement your peers. He made a joke, get over it baby. There are lots of hired guns, they're called free agents.

the guys been a scumbag since the day he threw a sawed off bat at Piazza and he'll never get an ounce of respect from me. Especially since he tried to play it off like he had the ball.

And real classy calling me a baby, sorry I have my opinion and your response is to call me names.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #1052
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
the guys been a scumbag since the day he threw a sawed off bat at Piazza and he'll never get an ounce of respect from me. Especially since he tried to play it off like he had the ball.

And real classy calling me a baby, sorry I have my opinion and your response is to call me names.

:yawn: First off, Piazza is the king pussy of baseball. If anyone needs a bat thrown at him, it's fairy Mike. Anyway, he's done about 5000x more for baseball than Piazza and most players. He's competitive, sometimes it gets the better of him. He didn't hit fairy Mike, just tried to intimidate. What he did is no worse than what Lee did the other day, or hundereds of players do each season. As for the incident you were lambasting, it was nothing, probably less than nothing. A joke, no more no less. If he had decided to play for the Mets, you'd be singing his praise right now. And if anyone should know hired guns, it's the Mets.

If you think I was calling you names, you only need to go back to your earlier post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
because Clamens is a hired gun baby...

I was poking fun at that. I'm not a name caller, Jersey boy
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #1053
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
:yawn: First off, Piazza is the king pussy of baseball. If anyone needs a bat thrown at him, it's fairy Mike. Anyway, he's done about 5000x more for baseball than Piazza and most players. He's competitive, sometimes it gets the better of him. He didn't hit fairy Mike, just tried to intimidate. What he did is no worse than what Lee did the other day, or hundereds of players do each season. As for the incident you were lambasting, it was nothing, probably less than nothing. A joke, no more no less. If he had decided to play for the Mets, you'd be singing his praise right now. And if anyone should know hired guns, it's the Mets.

If you think I was calling you names, you only need to go back to your earlier post...

I was poking fun at that. I'm not a name caller, Jersey boy

You're kidding right? Throwing a foreign object at somebody running to first is the same as throwing a punch at a guy you're squared off with? I do love the "he's competitive, sometimes it gets the better of him." Easily one of the worst lines of thought I've ever heard when it comes to people making excuses for people. He knew exactly what he was doing and was probably more angry with himself for missing than he was for doing it in the first place.

I'm not a Clemens fan, and will dispute the fact that his "hired gun" status is a bit different from that of other free agents, but the simple fact there is teams are obviously willing to put up with the BS that he demands, so I chalk that up to the ever growing pile of crap that is professional baseball.

But not even touching on your name calling of Piazza (who's place in baseball's history could be argued to be relatively high on the catcher's list, but that's a different thread), the very comparisons you're trying to raise are flawed and well, pretty much awful. What Clemens said the other day, whether in jest or not (never saw footage of it so very hard to know) was in poor taste, but again, nothing new for him.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #1054
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And....

Perlozzo is GONE.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #1055
Ksyrup

This would be interesting...

BOSTON - The Giants have not been sellers at the July 31 trade deadline during Brian Sabean's decade-long tenure, but with the club 10 games out and firmly in last place in the division, the general manager conceded that he could be forced into that mode.

While it's unlikely the Giants will take the extraordinary step of trading Barry Bonds, Sabean would not dismiss the possibility either.

"I don't know if there is (a chance), because of all the factors involved," Sabean said. "And it wouldn't be my decision unilaterally. So it's a complicated question and it's not a simple answer."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-18-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #1056
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And....

Perlozzo is GONE.

Should've happened long ago.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #1057
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
This would be interesting...

BOSTON - The Giants have not been sellers at the July 31 trade deadline during Brian Sabean's decade-long tenure, but with the club 10 games out and firmly in last place in the division, the general manager conceded that he could be forced into that mode.

While it's unlikely the Giants will take the extraordinary step of trading Barry Bonds, Sabean would not dismiss the possibility either.

"I don't know if there is (a chance), because of all the factors involved," Sabean said. "And it wouldn't be my decision unilaterally. So it's a complicated question and it's not a simple answer."

Not that I expect it to happpen but I would love to see the reaction of the fans of a contending team who traded for Bonds!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #1058
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
You're kidding right? Throwing a foreign object at somebody running to first is the same as throwing a punch at a guy you're squared off with? I do love the "he's competitive, sometimes it gets the better of him." Easily one of the worst lines of thought I've ever heard when it comes to people making excuses for people. He knew exactly what he was doing and was probably more angry with himself for missing than he was for doing it in the first place.

I'm not a Clemens fan, and will dispute the fact that his "hired gun" status is a bit different from that of other free agents, but the simple fact there is teams are obviously willing to put up with the BS that he demands, so I chalk that up to the ever growing pile of crap that is professional baseball.

But not even touching on your name calling of Piazza (who's place in baseball's history could be argued to be relatively high on the catcher's list, but that's a different thread), the very comparisons you're trying to raise are flawed and well, pretty much awful. What Clemens said the other day, whether in jest or not (never saw footage of it so very hard to know) was in poor taste, but again, nothing new for him.

I'd rank throwing a bit of a broken bat a few feet away from somebody a little lower on the list from the headhunting stuff we see out there. I'm also one who thinks the whole, sliding 5 feet out of the line with the intention of breaking up a DP is worse as well, since the intent may not be directly to injure, but that's the purpose it serves. My point was, there's alot worse out there than the miniscule bat incident, which was pretty stupid and inexcusable. Harp on him for making a joke after a bad pitching, but really it's not in poor taste...people are saying much worse without jest.

Mike Piazza was a great hitter. He was also a selfish, ego-centric moron who couldn't throw out a runner, yet demanded to be behind the dish so he could break batting records. Bashing the "selfishness" of Clemens while talking about the greats of a shitty defensive DH who wouldn't put the team first is silly.

Anywho, Clemens will continue to pitch on the terms he's earned, and if he goes to your team, you'll talk about how great he is
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #1059
Terps
College Prospect

"High-ranking sources have told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that Andy MacPhail has reached an agreement to be the club's chief operating officer, and the Orioles also were arranging a meeting with Joe Girardi."

Dave Trembley will be the interim manager.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #1060
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
"High-ranking sources have told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that Andy MacPhail has reached an agreement to be the club's chief operating officer, and the Orioles also were arranging a meeting with Joe Girardi."

Dave Trembley will be the interim manager.

Didn't Girardi win NL Manager of the Year last year? What took so long for someone to hire him? Was it because he demands a lot of control over the team too (or something like that)?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #1061
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Anywho, Clemens will continue to pitch on the terms he's earned, and if he goes to your team, you'll talk about how great he is

You can stick that right back in your mouth. I'm a Jays fan and wasn't all that happy when we got him and certainly never shouted his praises even then when I could stand him a whole lot more than I can now.

Great pitcher, yes, great person, no, and the latter to me is always more important which is a luxury I have as a fan.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #1062
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So at what point does Leo Mazzone completely regret leaving Atlanta? He not only has hurt his legacy by the fact that the Orioles pitchers haven't really gotten any better, at least collectively, since he joined the team last year, but the main reason he took the job in the first place - manager Sam Perlozzo, his life-long friend - is about to go bye-bye. Talk about being in a crappy situation with no end in sight.

While Perlozzo is gone, I don't think Mazzone has hurt his legacy as much as believed. The starting pitching is pretty damned good in Baltimore, although the winning percentages don't show it. Bedard has an ERA+ of 121. Guthrie is at 171. Loewen has been at 124 so far, and even Trachsel is doing good at 112. Cabrera is really the only one who has crashed and burned.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #1063
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Didn't Girardi win NL Manager of the Year last year? What took so long for someone to hire him? Was it because he demands a lot of control over the team too (or something like that)?

I don't know if it's a control issue (I can't remember what sparked the fight with the Marlins owner last year), but I always get the impression Girardi is waiting for the "perfect job" to come along. He was a name getting thrown about before this season for if the Yankees decided to get rid of Torre, and also a name with the Cubbies if I remember correctly...at the time, he was also being pursued by the Nats, and said that he wasn't necessarily itching to jump right back in or something like that. At the time, anyway, I got the distinct impression he was waiting for his dream job to be offered to him.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #1064
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
While Perlozzo is gone, I don't think Mazzone has hurt his legacy as much as believed. The starting pitching is pretty damned good in Baltimore, although the winning percentages don't show it. Bedard has an ERA+ of 121. Guthrie is at 171. Loewen has been at 124 so far, and even Trachsel is doing good at 112. Cabrera is really the only one who has crashed and burned.

Justin (Atlanta, GA): Buster, what's goping to happen to Mazzone in Baltimore? Is he out, too?

Buster Olney: Justin: Excellent, excellent question, because of the relationship between Leo and Sam. If I had to guess -- I think there is no chance Leo is the O's pitching coach by October 1, and some chance he leaves the team within the next 72 hours. But that is all pure speculation on my part. It's a fascinating sidebar to all of this.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #1065
Terps
College Prospect

I'll be fine with Scott McGregor as the PC if Mazzone leaves. Terry Crowley needs to be fired as well.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #1066
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

He was manager of the year last year, but that doesn't mean much. From what I read, his players didn't care for him, he's a micromanager, and he doesn't communicate well.

He also sent Josh Johnson out to pitch again after an extended rain delay. Johnson then got injured and is actually making his first start since that day today. That alone is grounds to fire a manager, IMO.

The Marlins did better than people expected last year, but it had little to do with anything Girardi did. Guys like Uggla, Willingham, and Ramirez have been better than expected and their young pitchers stepped in and did pretty well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #1067
Terps
College Prospect

A guy on a message board for the O's I visit has an inside contact within the organization and had this to say:

"Just got a call back. It's like a zoo in the Warehouse. To the best of my contacts knowledge Mazzone is staying on at this time. He set to leave on this afternoon flight to California. He did say Mazzone looked real pissed."

Also just saw this:

Buster Olney: (1:03 PM ET ) Gene: I think that there is an excellent chance that there will be a window of opportunity in which Andy MacPhail will be given the authority to change this organization -- at least two years. Just got off the phone with a rival exec who said that knowing Andy, he can't imagine that MacPhail took the job without having strong assurances that he will have total control of the O's (as much control as you can have, while working for an owner...) I suspect that Peter Angelos will be deferential, for at least a couple of years...

Last edited by Terps : 06-18-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #1068
Ksyrup

I guess I should have realized something was wrong when Jason Schmidt signed for 3 years and $47M and the Giants didn't attempt to keep him. Seemed strange at the time, and we all thought the Dodgers got a steal. But now he's back on the DL for the second time this year. Something tells me he won't be back.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #1069
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He was manager of the year last year, but that doesn't mean much. From what I read, his players didn't care for him, he's a micromanager, and he doesn't communicate well.

He also sent Josh Johnson out to pitch again after an extended rain delay. Johnson then got injured and is actually making his first start since that day today. That alone is grounds to fire a manager, IMO.

The Marlins did better than people expected last year, but it had little to do with anything Girardi did. Guys like Uggla, Willingham, and Ramirez have been better than expected and their young pitchers stepped in and did pretty well.

Maybe they should just get rid of the manager and let everyone just do their own thing.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #1070
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Maybe they should just get rid of the manager and let everyone just do their own thing.

Do you have a problemw with what I wrote there or are you refering back to my feelings about managers several pages back?

Do you think Girardi was a good manager? He played russian roulette with one of the top young pitchers in the organization and lost. The guy has been out since early August of last year because Girardi did something that anyone thats ever watched baseball would know better than to do. Like I said, that alone is grounds to fire a manager.

He also had well publicised issues with upper management and after he was fired not a single person in the organization stepped up to defend him.

So exactly what made this guy manager of the year worthy or even a good manager to begin with? Please enlighten me with more than an eyeroll.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #1071
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Do you have a problemw with what I wrote there or are you refering back to my feelings about managers several pages back?

Do you think Girardi was a good manager? He played russian roulette with one of the top young pitchers in the organization and lost. The guy has been out since early August of last year because Girardi did something that anyone thats ever watched baseball would know better than to do. Like I said, that alone is grounds to fire a manager.

He also had well publicised issues with upper management and after he was fired not a single person in the organization stepped up to defend him.

So exactly what made this guy manager of the year worthy or even a good manager to begin with? Please enlighten me with more than an eyeroll.

I just don't agree with you about managers. They are effective.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #1072
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I just don't agree with you about managers. They are effective.
They are effective. The question is how effective relative to the talent level of the players they have - how many games do very good and very bad managers add or subtract from the team's win/loss column?

From available, measurable evidence, there's good reason to think that managers generally don't have a major influence on their team's results.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #1073
Ksyrup

The Tigers need to overpay for a couple of relievers. Fast. Todd Jones is who we thought he was.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #1074
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I should have realized something was wrong when Jason Schmidt signed for 3 years and $47M and the Giants didn't attempt to keep him. Seemed strange at the time, and we all thought the Dodgers got a steal. But now he's back on the DL for the second time this year. Something tells me he won't be back.

Agreed on all counts. I thought that was the steal of the winter but it just hasn't been the case. All those miles finally caught up with him.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #1075
Brillig
College Prospect

Time to send Lincecum back to AAA.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #1076
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
Time to send Lincecum back to AAA.

He's really hit a wall. I'm leaning towards them giving him one more start....but I dunno at this point.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #1077
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, Cards smack around Scott Elarton, possibly knocking him out of the rotation, evening up the Cards/Royals series at 1-1. I gotta say I like the Royals chances tomorrow night with Meche against former Royals middle reliever Todd Wellemeyer but the Royals aren't good enough to be overconfident and win. A pair of series wins against St Louis would be oh-so-sweet but even 3-3 of for the season would be acceptable.

SI

Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #1078
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That sure was nice of the Pads to spot Peavy a 3 run lead so I can pretty much go to sleep this early knowing he'll either get a win or no decision for my fantasy team

SI

Old 06-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #1079
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
He's really hit a wall. I'm leaning towards them giving him one more start....but I dunno at this point.

No way - he's striking out more than a batter an inning, even now. Sending him back to AAA with hitters who can't hit his secondary stuff will do what exactly?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #1080
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
No way - he's striking out more than a batter an inning, even now. Sending him back to AAA with hitters who can't hit his secondary stuff will do what exactly?

I dunno..work on mechanics to get his walks down, maybe? Besides that, I really haven't any idea, other than it just seems like the thing to do...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #1081
Atocep
Coordinator

His BABIP was around .270 coming into today, so it actually could be worse. The 6 homers allowed and walk totals are concerning, but the 'mechanics expert' at baseball think factory actually liked Lincecum's mechanics and didn't really see anything wrong with them.

There was a big concern when he was drafted about how heavily he was worked in college. He'd have starts in the 150-180 pitches thrown range. Everything I had read on him had him big league ready at the start of the year, but the pitch counts and mileage were a big red flag on him.

I'd probably give him a couple starts and see if its something he can work out at the big league level. If not, AAA may be the only option.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #1082
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If the Giants were anywhere near contenders I would say send him down. But why not let him learn at the big league level?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 AM   #1083
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The extent to which he dominated AAA hitters suggests there really isn't anything left for him to prove there. And his results with the Giants, while obviously not particularly good in terms of run prevention, in other ways aren't that bad. As pointed out, he's still missing a lot of bats, and he's not getting hit around too badly. His biggest problem (and the one that most concerned me about him as a prospect from his days at the UW) is his walk rate. It's not awful, but he is walking enough guys that when is giving up hits, there's a lot of extra damage.

You don't want him to damage his confidence, so if he continues to string together a number of rough outings it might be prudent to send him back to AAA for a few starts to regain some confidence and to work on his control issues. Still, it's not like the Giants are going to make the playoffs this year, so it wouldn't be so bad to let him work things out at the MLB level.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #1084
Ksyrup

Unless he's out of whack mentally or mechanically, Lincecum should stay up. He's not only a rookie, but he's pitching for a crappy team. Go look at Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz's first year stats while playing for crummy teams. And this guy's likely not going to be in their league. It's hard enough being a rookie and having hitter make adjustments on you; it's even worse when your team sucks and winning is a challenge even under normal circumstances. Maybe they should limit his innings, but otherwise I say let him pitch.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #1085
Butter
Coordinator

In other AAA phenom news, Homer Bailey dominated the A's last night. Finally, a reason for us Reds fans to get excited.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #1086
Ksyrup

Quote:

I think Girardi mainly benefitted from the low standard everyone set for the team last year. Manny Acta is getting similar love this year because people thought they'd challenge the 1962 Mets. The Marlins weren't considered THAT bad last year going into the season, but certainly no one thought they would be in the WC race as late as they were. And Girardi was the main beneficiary of the media/fan reaction to their season.

Now that we're in the middle of the next season, it's instructive to look at how the Marlins are performing. They aren't the surprise team anymore, so Gonzalez's "contributions" to the team aren't getting trumpeted, but it's interesting to note that as of right now, the Marlins are on pace for a 76 win season - and don't appear to have a dysfunctional manager/front office situation. They won 78 under Girardi last year. They're 5.5 GB of the Mets, and 7 GB of the WC leader as of this morning.

I think it's time to re-think Girardi's season last year. Did he make that much difference, or did he have a bunch of very good players who were so young and unproven that no one gave them a chance to compete? When you couple the talent with the off-field issues, I'm not sure he did something another manager couldn't have done with the same team. Well, he did one thing that probably no other manager would have done - he got himself fired. But as far as team performance, maybe this team was never a 90+ loss team, regardless of who the manager was.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #1087
Ksyrup

Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was traded to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In return the Cubs will receive backup catcher Rob Bowen, a minor league pitcher and cash considerations, Olney reported.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #1088
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But as far as team performance, maybe this team was never a 90+ loss team, regardless of who the manager was.

I think that's the crux. Plenty of managers get accolades for teams that perform well because of young players, not by any special managerial skill. Some managers actually can turn a franchise around... but some just take credit for talent they got from their GMs.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #1089
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was traded to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In return the Cubs will receive backup catcher Rob Bowen, a minor league pitcher and cash considerations, Olney reported.

I do not get this one at all. Are the Cubs giving up on the season already?

Bowen has value as a backup catcher, but now the Cubs have two backups and no one really capable of starting. The minor leaguer they got is Kyler Burke, who's one of those tools guys that Hendry loves. But he hit around .210 with no power in rookie ball last year and is doing the same in low-A this year.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #1090
st.cronin
General Manager

Maybe not "giving up on the season" but instead "giving up on a catcher who can't get along with the pitching staff."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #1091
Brillig
College Prospect

Time to send Zito back to AAA.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #1092
Ksyrup

As bad a contract as it is for the Giants, I at least thought they were going to get 1-3 years of above-average pitching from Zito, based solely on the league change and park he pitches in. That he's so bad so early...he has a chance to join company with Mike Hampton for worst contracts ever.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #1093
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I hated that goddamn contract from day one, and this is not making me feel better.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #1094
lungs
Pro Rookie

Zito isn't horrible, but that contract was pretty dumb.

It doesn't help that he is facing the buzzsaw lineup known as the Milwaukee Brewers. A lineup that is almost completly homegrown and stocked to the brim for years to come.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #1095
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Giants climb out of their grave to pull it to 6-5, and then the ump blows a call to end the inning.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #1096
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
The Giants climb out of their grave to pull it to 6-5, and then the ump blows a call to end the inning.

Except that if Frandsen stops at third instead of being a moron, I say he scores on that play to tie the game. So while it may be a blown call, the Giants weren't exactly helping themselves either.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #1097
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

One other note on Lincecum - his current rate of stranding only 55% of baserunners is quite low compared to the average pitcher. It's possible there's enough of a difference in the quality of his pitches and his command from the stretch vs. the windup that this accounts for the low number, but it's more likely that he's simply suffering some bad luck and as that number regresses back toward the mean his ERA will improve.

He still needs to work on reducing his walks and improving his strikeout to walk ratio.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #1098
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just looked up Lincecum on mlb.com... I'm only a year older than him, but he sure looks really young. Not Danny Graves young, but still looks like a teen.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #1099
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I wish the Reds would pick up the damn phone when KT calls.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #1100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I realize most of you were probably asleep by the time the game ended, but did any of you find a way to catch the Angels-Astros on Monday night? That was one hell of a game. And Figgins did something Monday that has only been done two other times in major league baseball history, from what I understand.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote