Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #1051
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmm who would I rather have in a game 7?

Mr Hobey Baker Ryan Miller or whichever goalie Carolina decides to throw out there this time?

It's Miller Time baby
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:49 AM   #1052
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Dola,

On a more appropriate note, I think the 'Canes finish it off tonight.

Ahem...Your divination abilities have been noted, and found pleasently LACKING =)

GO SABRES!!!!

5-3 Sabres in Game 7.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #1053
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Ahem...Your divination abilities have been noted, and found pleasently LACKING =)

GO SABRES!!!!

5-3 Sabres in Game 7.

So sayeth the man who said:
Quote:
Ducks in 5, Edmonton's miracle ends in Anaheim.

Sabres in 6, Carolina strts quick but falters to more consistant goaltending and defense in Buffalo.

Whiffed badly on one, will technically be incorrect on the other. Then again, you did keep changing with the mood and went Buffalo in 5 after game one and then in 7 after Carolina finally went up 3-2. You may get it right yet.

As for last night, well, I can accept the loss in some ways because Carolina should have gotten killed in the first period except Wardo was putting on an exhibition. Hope Miller liked the view from the other end and wasn't too lonely during that stanza. Just a piss-poor performance by Carolina in the first period. You'd think that after five games, you'd understand you can't just casually flick the puck around trying to get it out of your zone against the Sabres.

Justin Williams has had a nightmare of a series having duffed a couple of surefire chances in recent games and then giving up the puck that lead to the GW last night. The current rage among Canes fans seems to focus on the fact that he was tripped (along with Brindy) to set up the goal. I looked at it a couple of times on the DVR and (in IMO) it's awfully difficult to see at regular speed if he was. Granted, my view is limited to a couple of camera angles, while the refs are on the ground, but I don't remember what place they had in relation to the play. It can plausibly be argued that Williams cut off Briere and then Brindy knocked Briere (I think it was Briere) into Williams to cause the falls to happen. I cannot say whether that was a penalty or not.

I can only hope my fatalistic feeling I had last night that whoever scored the OT winner would win the series doesn't come true, but I'm pessimistic by nature. Bad things happen when I start to believe in my teams.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #1054
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The Canes got home cookin to win game 5 in OT so if the Sabres got it in game 6 then it all equals out (tho I don't think there was a penalty to Buffalo there, just more whining from our opponents)
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #1055
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack

Whiffed badly on one, will technically be incorrect on the other. Then again, you did keep changing with the mood and went Buffalo in 5 after game one and then in 7 after Carolina finally went up 3-2. You may get it right yet.

Hopefully he'll respond to yours; my inquiry was missed. Still interested in the answer, though.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #1056
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
The Canes got home cookin to win game 5 in OT so if the Sabres got it in game 6 then it all equals out (tho I don't think there was a penalty to Buffalo there, just more whining from our opponents)

The refs handed Buffalo the 4-on-4 that led to one of their goals in that game (how Williams gets called for diving when the goalie tripped him up was beyond me). And last night I could go on and on about all the elbows and forearm shivers from Buffalo that weren't called (Glen Wesley was out for the end of the second period thanks to an uncalled forearm that drove his head into the glass), so don't try to pretend Buffalo didn't get some calls last night.

As I said earlier: let's just leave it at "the officiating has been all-around abysmal in this series". The Canes lost last night because they could not finish chances and kept handing the puck over to Buffalo, not because the officials made some bad calls on them. The officials did make some bad calls, but even that goal had more to do with poor puck protection by the Canes than it did any missed penalties.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #1057
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
that's a new tune. why the sudden change of heart?

To answer you and anyone else:

I'm a pessimist. I like to think positive at first and then as reality comes along I tend to let pessimism creep in. This damn team plays its ass off and never fails to try killing me via heart failure.

Sabres win Game 7.

Sabres Still win the cup.

Never said I was psychic or anything
Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #1058
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's going to be a wild one tomorrow night, I'm really glad I got some very nice tickets. Go Canes!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #1059
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

HA! Like you and RendeR do after every Buffalo loss...blame the refs?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #1060
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs have apparently signed McCabe to a five-year deal in the $5 - $5.5 million range.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #1061
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16

Has nothing to do with wins and losses, the refs have sucked ass all playoffs long. I have no doubt they miss some legitimate fouls on the Sabres too, but they more than make up for it with the ticky tac bullshit calls that have kept all three of our opponents alive in their relative series.

Barring MASSIVE penalty calls in game 7 The Oilers will enjoy a few evenings in Western NY.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #1062
Karim
College Starter

Every time I think the Sabres are out of it, they pull another one out of the fire. I still Carolina wins it but you never know. I'm hoping the Sabres win and my constant doubting hasn't seemed to hurt.

Is Ruff going to dress 7-D, is Teppo going to play more than 5 minutes, or is he done?

Last edited by Karim : 05-31-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #1063
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Barring MASSIVE penalty calls in game 7 The Oilers will enjoy a few evenings in Western NY.

Heh. I was wondering where the "We lost to the 'Canes in an NHL Playoff Series" convention was being held
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #1064
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Feel free to quote my phantom messages where I blame the refs. You might have a little trouble finding them however.

Fact is every team Buffalo has played has done the same thing, cry about the refs or how they simply didn't play their game (since clearly the Sabres had nothing to do with that) yadda yadda yadda and the fans are no different.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #1065
Karim
College Starter

"Whyte's 10 Most Wanted"
http://www.police.edmonton.ab.ca/Pag...a/frameset.htm

"What goes on on Whyte Ave does not stay on Whyte Ave—the anonymity of hooligans and vandals is being lifted. Police are releasing ten images in an attempt to identify and charge those responsible for some of the worst incidents of hooliganism and vandalism last weekend. This is the first step towards improved public safety and protection of property on Whyte Avenue.

Of the tens of thousands of fans that have made Whyte Avenue their celebration destination, police want to identify a small number of people who are contributing to the disorder and property damage."

Good on the Edmonton police for getting this out there quickly. I still couldn't help laughing seeing these pictures though... Capturing their faces when the cops come for a visit would be priceless.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #1066
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"I did attend the “Red Mile” a couple of years ago. Three friends and I drove to to watch game six against [FONT=[/IMG]Calgary]Tampa. It was basically a closed off street with a bunch of drunks (including me) walking up and down. I did see lots of exposed breasts, of varying quality.

So far on Whytle Avenue it’s been pretty close. Following the series win against San Jose the avenue was stupid. There was a notable turning point in the evening when the “normal” people could be seen leaving for home. All that remained were the same dirt bags the police deal with on a regular basis, only this time they wore hockey jersey’s and had the media encouraging them. On this night I saw lots of street fights and only a few breasts. But the whole après hockey unlawful assembly is an evolving process. That first night you could see a lot of ethnic groups interacting that normally don’t see each other. You had the north side blacks and Lebanese clashing with the southside Browns and downtown Indians. A few stabbings resulted. And in regards to the drunken females, they were still getting used to the idea of exposing their bodies to please a drunken throng.

By the end of the Ducks series the ethnic conflicts had been meted out. The groups seem to have agreed to disagree, the stabbings have declined. On the other hand, the local femmes have become increasingly comfortable with their bodies being posted on the internet. This, while in the short-term is a good thing, will only increase the likelihood of more stabbings.

The finals should be an interesting experience. The only drawback is I usually end up missing the last 2 minutes of the games if I’m assigned to duty on the Avenue."

[/font]
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-01-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #1067
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Leafs have apparently signed McCabe to a five-year deal in the $5 - $5.5 million range.

And Lindros to a 1 year $750 000 deal.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #1068
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola......If big Jay does'nt play tonight the Sabres are finished.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #1069
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
And Lindros to a 1 year $750 000 deal.
That's the rumor... great deal if it's true, even if he plays 40 games it's a bargain at that price.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #1070
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

I figured the Sabres were finished with Numminen and Tallinder out. I won't count out anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #1071
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's the rumor... great deal if it's true, even if he plays 40 games it's a bargain at that price.

Unfortunatly none of these guys can play goal

Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #1072
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

This injury bug riddling the Sabres has got to be the worst I've ever seen. There could be four AHL-quality defensemen playing for Buffalo tonight (Fitzpatrick, Janik, Jillson and Paetsch).

I've heard McKee has some sort of infection and didn't make the trip to Raleigh last night. He may join the team later today but it doesn't look good.

Numminen is not going to play tonight after reinjuring his groin.

Lydman, Campbell and Fitzpatrick will likely all have to play 30+ minutes tonight.

It's been a great series and to see the result of game seven get decided by injuries is really unfortunate. But it's not over yet! It would just be that much sweeter if Buffalo somehow overcame all of this misfortune.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #1073
bbor
Pro Starter

McKee is done....unless Lindy is pulling a fast one.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #1074
Peregrine
Pro Starter

NHL.com has more info on McKee, looks like he's definitely not playing:

"Veteran stalwart Jay McKee is out with a seriously infected cut on his shin, leaving the Buffalo Sabres down four regular defencemen for Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final on Thursday.

Coach Lindy Ruff said after the team's morning skate that McKee will not play and is still recovering at home in Buffalo. Ruff said the infection is believed to be the result of a cut that didn't heal after McKee blocked a shot in the second-round series against Ottawa"
Old 06-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #1075
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Very impressed with Buffalo's defensive play tonight. Even if they had six healthy defensemen, I'd still be impressed, but even more so given their injury problems.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #1076
bbor
Pro Starter

Great effort by Buffalo....but i think the Brindy goal finished them.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #1077
General Mike
Pro Starter

CANES~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #1078
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Buffalo was a worthy opponent. My hats off, especially to their defense and their goalie, Miller. Glad the Canes won, but I was very nervous throughout the game. Very close series all around.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #1079
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Silly me, I didn't realize they play hockey in North/South Carolina. Next things you'll be telling me is that there are hockey teams in Florida. Edmonton sounds like a place that lives for hockey.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #1080
RendeR
Coordinator

Congrats to the cane's, they just won the cup. Finally Hartford Gets a title.

Enjoy it 'Canes fans.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #1081
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Wow. Not that much respect for the Oil, eh?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #1082
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Feel free to quote my phantom messages where I blame the refs. You might have a little trouble finding them however.

Fact is every team Buffalo has played has done the same thing, cry about the refs or how they simply didn't play their game (since clearly the Sabres had nothing to do with that) yadda yadda yadda and the fans are no different.

I never once blamed the refs when Buffalo beat Philly. Buffalo was flat out better in every aspect of the game. The Flyers were lucky to win those two games. The Sabers have a nice solid nucleus and will be a force for many years to come.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #1083
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

I thought it was a jinx attempt, myself.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #1084
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

IIRC, Render has already displayed his cluelessness about Western Conference hockey earlier in this thread when he "tried" to display his knowledge of how either the Oil or the Ducks played and at what level.

Not to say the Canes won't win (I'm actually rooting for them), but I wouldn't trust Render to judge quality hockey based on what I have seen in this thread.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #1085
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey Andrew Peters! Who's golfing now?

(That would have been way, way funnier if the Sabres had lost about five weeks ago.)
Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #1086
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I definitely tip my hat to the Sabres (actually, I guess tapping the stick is the more appropriate metaphor for the sport). I was flat-out miserable and totally sure Carolina was meat after that second goal. Miller seemed unflappable and Buffalo continued to pounce on their opportunities. Great rallying effort by the Canes after that hard momentum shift at the end of the second period.

If Buffalo had their defensive corps healthy, it very likely would have ended up with the Sabres in the final. Without that depth tonight, they had to rely on mistakes and opportunities because Carolina controlled the game for long stretches, but could never finish until the third period. Still, Buffalo kept firing until they ran out of bullets. It's cliche and salves no wounds so soon after such a loss, but the Sabres and their resident supporters here have a lot to be proud of given how tough their injury situation got to be. "Resilient" doesn't begin to describe it.

Looking forward to the Final, has the Stanley Cup ever been contested between two teams who never even met during the regular season? It's almost like the World Series before inter-league play. All each team has to go on is what they've seen on TV of the other. There's going to be some intense scouting done over the weekend....
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #1087
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I definitely tip my hat to the Sabres (actually, I guess tapping the stick is the more appropriate metaphor for the sport). I was flat-out miserable and totally sure Carolina was meat after that second goal. Miller seemed unflappable and Buffalo continued to pounce on their opportunities. Great rallying effort by the Canes after that hard momentum shift at the end of the second period.

If Buffalo had their defensive corps healthy, it very likely would have ended up with the Sabres in the final. Without that depth tonight, they had to rely on mistakes and opportunities because Carolina controlled the game for long stretches, but could never finish until the third period. Still, Buffalo kept firing until they ran out of bullets. It's cliche and salves no wounds so soon after such a loss, but the Sabres and their resident supporters here have a lot to be proud of given how tough their injury situation got to be. "Resilient" doesn't begin to describe it.

Well said...

Regardless of the injuries, the Canes were the better team overall in the ECF and completely deserve the series victory. Best of luck in the finals.

I'm having a hard time being disappointed though even with my Sabres falling short. I was a season ticket holder this year and enjoyed the ride of a lifetime with a team truly worth cheering for.

What a great season of hockey in Buffalo.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #1088
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Enjoy it 'Canes fans.

First I have to deal with this in the Superbowl, now the Stanley Cup. I'm amazed my two favorite teams have done that this year (maybe I should put some cash down on the Jays to at least make the World Series), but wow man, at least show a little respect for a team who has gone through some awfully good teams to make it this far.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:18 AM   #1089
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm rooting for the Oilers, no doubt. They took out my favorite team (sharks) with reasonable ease from game 3 on, and I always like to see a Canadian team win.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:23 AM   #1090
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oilers needs to finish the deal now. No doubt.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #1091
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm really glad we could finish the series at home like that, the energy in the RBC Center was amazing. Of course now I can barely talk, my hands are actually hurting from clapping so much, and I'm hungover, but it's all worth it. GO CANES!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #1092
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well Ticketmaster was going crazy of course but I managed to get my tickets for Games 2, 5 and 7. If the series doesn't go 7 (or 5) my wallet will thank me, yikes those are some pricey tickets.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #1093
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Looking forward to the Final, has the Stanley Cup ever been contested between two teams who never even met during the regular season?
In 1995, the East and West conference never played so the Devil and Red Wings hadn't met that year.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #1094
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In 1995, the East and West conference never played so the Devil and Red Wings hadn't met that year.

Leadership.

Quote:
Hey Andrew Peters! Who's golfing now?

(That would have been way, way funnier if the Sabres had lost about five weeks ago.)

Hockey analysis.

What more could we want?

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-02-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #1095
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

This will change as the series goes on. If Edmonton wins game one by a goal, it will be Edmonton in 7. Two goals, it's Edmonton in 3 with the Canes forfeiting the final game.
If the Canes win...it will be Carolina in 5 regardless.

The curse lives on in Buffalo.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-02-2006 at 09:21 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #1096
bbor
Pro Starter

Brindy rippin on Ruff after the game was kinda amusing.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #1097
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree
Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #1098
JeeberD
General Manager

Lets go Oilers!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-02-2006 at 10:32 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #1099
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ooo, missed that. What was said?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #1100
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

In which case, I'd have to say Ruff probably achieved his goals in the psychological warfare department. His remarks certainly chapped a lot of Hurricanes fans. I know I had no feelings about Buffalo one way or the other before the series, but those feelings hardened quite a bit during the series. To have Brindy triumph on-ice, yet still take the time for a parting shot showed how much he really got under the team's skin. Well played on his part.