Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #1051
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Where the hell was Sayid? When he came waltzing into the "living room" where was he coming from? If he was on the beach he would have heard word about Michael there... and i don't see how he could have slept through all the shit that was going on in the hatch.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #1052
thesloppy
Pro Starter

All I know is I saw an album either by or entitled "Ooklah the Moc". YAY THUNDARR!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #1053
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Who is Alex?

Danielle's daughter, right?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #1054
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
WALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my best Charlie impression...

*looks confused* "Walt?"
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #1055
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Is Locke really a bad guy (seemingly putting aaron into the ocean)?

did I miss something?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #1056
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
did I miss something?

I already deleted it off of my Tivo, but I could have sworn that I saw Locke getting close to Claire and her baby. Then it looked like there was some sort of small basket with a baby in it and then the basket was floating out in the ocean and Charlie went diving after it.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #1057
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This show is idiotic. I don't need any more flashbacks with Jack. I could give two shits about his "woe is me, I have to save everyone" character. Nobody asked if Zeke (the bearded guy, I think that's his name) is a part of the Others. It was an extremely lazy plot device to have Kate get captured and used at an opportune time. Think about this: if Jack is a savior and wants to help everyone, no matter the cost, how do you get him to back down? Use the helpless (stupid) female against him. There were many points last night that my wife and I were like, why are we watching this show? And....why are we staying up till 10 PM watching it when it's rerun next week from 8-9 PM? This shit is so dragged out that I'm forgetting the little plotlines that they never closed from last year.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #1058
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I already deleted it off of my Tivo, but I could have sworn that I saw Locke getting close to Claire and her baby. Then it looked like there was some sort of small basket with a baby in it and then the basket was floating out in the ocean and Charlie went diving after it.

are you being serious?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #1059
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

kingfc22, are you talking about the promo for next episode?

hxxp://www.thetailsection.com/clips/ep2x12promo-lg.zip
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #1060
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
I think I may have tried to ask, oh I don't know, 50 other questions while I had boat guy's ear.

I happened to be thinking about this last night as I was reflecting on the show.
I'm required to suspend disbelief at a great deal of things on the show, and really don't have a problem with any of it. except for one thing: the utterly mystifying lack of communication these idiots all share.

Someone asks a question, and the response is as vague as vague can be, and everyone just accepts that. I know it's necessary for the show, but it still drives me up the wall. Well, that and the fact that they have found an underground bunker with electricity, running water and beds...and everyone is still living on the fucking beach. Hey, smart people on the island - instead of living on the beach and taking 4 hour shifts in the bunker...how about everyone move to the bunker and rotate 4 hour shifts on the beach to watch for rescuers. just a thought.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #1061
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd

well, fuck, that would explain it. I avoid the promos so that nothing gets spoiled.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #1062
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I believe Locke is one of them. I honestly believe that. Maybe he isn't Locke at all in his flash backs was he ever called John?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #1063
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'm required to suspend disbelief at a great deal of things on the show, and really don't have a problem with any of it. except for one thing: the utterly mystifying lack of communication these idiots all share.

Sounds exactly like real life to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #1064
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
I believe Locke is one of them. I honestly believe that. Maybe he isn't Locke at all in his flash backs was he ever called John?
Yes he was. And no he's not one of them.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #1065
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Instead of being mad at Kate, Jack should be kicking himself for not listening to Locke and turning around at nightfall. I loved the line, "you don't just lose a trail!" What in the hell is he talking about, of course you do.

Maybe gabrielle can get stranded on the island.

I completely agree with how frustrating the lack of comunication is. Two examples from tonight are the lack of qustions for Grizzly Adams. The guy voluntarily offers up communication with Jack, and Jack just tries to mad dog him. The other example is how Jack just strolls back into camp and cops a squat next to Ana Lucia while she is eating some mango and asks her about starting an army. How about communicating with everyone that you had contact with the others? Fuckin elitest.

I think the best possible revelation, as someone pointed out above, is that ethan and Grizly adams may not be from the same group.

What happened to Sawyer when he was standing there in the face off. It was like he got hit in the nek with something

Last edited by judicial clerk : 01-19-2006 at 09:03 AM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #1066
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
What happened to Sawyer when he was standing there in the face off. It was like he got hit in the nek with something

I think his smoldering rage spontaneously combusted
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #1067
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Instead of being mad at Kate, Jack should be kicking himself for not listening to Locke and turning around at nightfall. I loved the line, "you don't just lose a trail!" What in the hell is he talking about, of course you do.

I think his point was that Locke just doesn't lose a trail since Locke has shown himself to be strangely adept in this environment.

Quote:
I think the best possible revelation, as someone pointed out above, is that ethan and Grizly adams may not be from the same group.

This certainly seems possible. Ethan seemed to be pretty clean and groomed while Zeke looks like he has been trapped in the wilderness for ages.

Quote:

There was a shot fired at that same time, so I'm guessing someone clipped his ear.

I'm really surprised there was no mention of a truce, or of getting both sides together to talk and try to end the fighting. They could have gone a long way toward figuring out what the heck is going on, but all they did was bark like two junkyard dogs. Seemed like a waste of a good meeting.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #1068
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I, for one, am glad they didn't just sit down and get everything in the open, thereby ruining the storyline for the next 14 episodes. It's called Drama, people.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #1069
colt45
n00b

One point - Old Man River (or Mr. Scruffy as I refer to him), you guys call him Zeke. Ok, regardless, he IS quite scruffy. And he said something like a man coming in and using stuff that isn't his. I took this to mean perhaps the hatches and whatnot. But if Scruffy Zeke has access to one (because there are several on the island) why would he be so dirty and why would they have not gone to the other ones and gotten the guns? Surely they know about them, right?
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #1070
Daimyo
College Starter

Where was Alex in this episode? I totally missed that.

According to the podcast this run of episodes is going to be centered around the original group so it should be good. My guess is that Zeke's group are from the slaver ship... he sounded like a pirate (I have no explanation for how old that would make him). I don't think its the same group that Ethan is from. His "open doors that don't belong to you" comment implied they knew about the bunker whereas Ethan didn't seem to.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-19-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #1071
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I, for one, am glad they didn't just sit down and get everything in the open, thereby ruining the storyline for the next 14 episodes. It's called stupidity, people.
Fixed it for ya.

Here's another thing that bothered me. If I were Jack, I would've said "This is your house? I'm sorry. Let me wipe my feet and leave. Oh, by the way, do you think you could use your boat to get us out of here or radio us a ship to get us out of here?"
Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #1072
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dwight from "The Office" prospective on "Lost"

http://blogs.nbc.com/office/archives..._2006-w02.html
Old 01-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #1073
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Having been in a number of intense meetings (not located in the middle of the jungle at night with a gun pointed at me) I find it completely plausible that I'd forget to ask all the questions the audience would like answered.

Also, I think telling the entire beach what just happened in the jungle is a bad idea. Nobody would feel safe, they might scatter, and best case scenario is you end up with 50 people trying to cram into a bunker that has two bunk beds.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #1074
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Dwight from "The Office" prospective on "Lost"

http://blogs.nbc.com/office/archives..._2006-w02.html

"4) I think the asian guy from the Dharma film is the Korean guy’s
dad. Think about it. They’re BOTH asian."

LOL
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #1075
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd

yea
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #1076
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

annoying complaint... is NO ONE living in the caves anymore?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #1077
timmynausea
College Starter

Dharma probably stands for:
Doesn't
have
any
real
meaning
anyway
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #1078
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

That episode pissed me off. I read the info before the show and I said to my fiance that if they chase Michael through the jungle and something so stupid happens, I'm going to be pissed. They better explain that crap real well in the next few episodes.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #1079
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
Having been in a number of intense meetings (not located in the middle of the jungle at night with a gun pointed at me) I find it completely plausible that I'd forget to ask all the questions the audience would like answered.

Also, I think telling the entire beach what just happened in the jungle is a bad idea. Nobody would feel safe, they might scatter, and best case scenario is you end up with 50 people trying to cram into a bunker that has two bunk beds.

They have been lost in a jungle on an island and they just found other people who claim to live there. No way you can forget to ask who they are or how to get off the island. Getting off of the island is the only thing in their lives that has any meaning at this point.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #1080
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo

My guess is that Zeke's group are from the slaver ship... he sounded like a pirate (I have no explanation for how old that would make him).

I missed Alex as well.

He also used a Hanso quote. Not sure how a pirate knows the founder of the Hanso foundation.

http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

“From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look beyond what is accepted as the truth and to imagine what is possible.”

- Alvar Hanso, Address to the U.N. Security Council, 1967
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #1081
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo

According to the podcast this run of episodes is going to be centered around the original group so it should be good. My guess is that Zeke's group are from the slaver ship... he sounded like a pirate (I have no explanation for how old that would make him). I don't think its the same group that Ethan is from. His "open doors that don't belong to you" comment implied they knew about the bunker whereas Ethan didn't seem to.

whats a good ipod podcast to listen too about Lost. i have an ipod. thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #1082
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
whats a good ipod podcast to listen too about Lost. i have an ipod. thanks

I listen to The Transmission and The official Lost Podcast. Both are available through ITunes.

Keep in mind both will feature some spoilers although the Transmission makes sure you know ahead of time so that you can avoid them if you choose.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #1083
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
They have been lost in a jungle on an island and they just found other people who claim to live there. No way you can forget to ask who they are or how to get off the island. Getting off of the island is the only thing in their lives that has any meaning at this point.

If you say so. I had a knife pulled on me once. I have to admit that I was speechless. I could have asked what the dude wanted, but instead I froze there until the threat had passed. Looking back on it I could have done a lot differently, like ask him what he wanted, but didn't.

They've also known about these people quite some time (however long it has been since Sayid met the French woman) and recently learned that they weren't the conversational type (since Sawyer, Michael, and Jin returned). When meeting someone in the middle of the jungle that I already know exists, are kidnappers, murderers, and have expressed nothing but hostility (as well as one of the people I'm with was just shot in the ear), I'm quite confident that I might pass up on asking for directions off an island that they apparently can't get off of themselves (by the looks of grizzly, he has been on the island quite some time).

And as much as they want to get off the island, I believe staying alive is of greater importance.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #1084
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
If you say so. I had a knife pulled on me once. I have to admit that I was speechless. I could have asked what the dude wanted, but instead I froze there until the threat had passed. Looking back on it I could have done a lot differently, like ask him what he wanted, but didn't.

They've also known about these people quite some time (however long it has been since Sayid met the French woman) and recently learned that they weren't the conversational type (since Sawyer, Michael, and Jin returned). When meeting someone in the middle of the jungle that I already know exists, are kidnappers, murderers, and have expressed nothing but hostility (as well as one of the people I'm with was just shot in the ear), I'm quite confident that I might pass up on asking for directions off an island that they apparently can't get off of themselves (by the looks of grizzly, he has been on the island quite some time).

And as much as they want to get off the island, I believe staying alive is of greater importance.

How often has your life been in danger? If it was in danger time after time, would you still be speechless when a gun is pointed at you? If your plane was ripped apart, fell out of the sky, crashed in the ocean, invisible monsters crashing trees, pilot getting ripped out of the cockpit, handled dynamite, had a guy you once knew (Desmond) hold a gun on you and Locke, gotten beat up by Ethan, beat him up for trying to steal a baby, and watched some people die while you're trying to save their lives, do you think that you would still be speechless?

They could apparently get off the island. I highly doubt that Sawyer or Michael left out the fact that they came on a boat to take Walt.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #1085
Daimyo
College Starter

... and as Sawyer (or Michael) pointed out when they saw the boat, it was not ocean going and couldn't have a range of more than 100 miles.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #1086
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
How often has your life been in danger? If it was in danger time after time, would you still be speechless when a gun is pointed at you? If your plane was ripped apart, fell out of the sky, crashed in the ocean, invisible monsters crashing trees, pilot getting ripped out of the cockpit, handled dynamite, had a guy you once knew (Desmond) hold a gun on you and Locke, gotten beat up by Ethan, beat him up for trying to steal a baby, and watched some people die while you're trying to save their lives, do you think that you would still be speechless?

They could apparently get off the island. I highly doubt that Sawyer or Michael left out the fact that they came on a boat to take Walt.

Jack wasn't speechless, he just asked different questions than the audience would have. Something I find very plausible considering his situation.

I negotiate contracts and arbitrate cases for a living and EVERY time I've ever finished a negotiation session or a cross examination session, even after weeks of preparation, I ask myself "why didn't I ask this" or "why didn't I ask that." There is a difference between sitting at home on your couch thinking about what you would want asked and actually being in a pressure situation and asking all the right questions (no matter how used to the pressure you are). This is especially true when you have competing interests. The audience wanted to know who the others were and how to get off the island and Jack wanted to know where Michael and Walt were.

And I'm sure that Michael (etc) did tell them about the dinky little motor boat that apparently is not good enough to get them off the island (or the others probably would have left long ago).
Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #1087
mgadfly
High School Varsity

One other comment.

I think a lot of people are kind of suggesting that Jack should have been more concerned about getting off the island than trying to find Michael and Walt. If the Others had offered Jack the motor boat and made him a little map back to Australlia, I'm not sure he would have taken it if it meant leaving M&W behind.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #1088
Anthony
Banned

i'm SO glad Locke said to Jack "what gives us the right to tell people what to do?".

I can't stand Jack's character. he went from being a reluctant leader to a dictator who makes all the decisions. Locke is my favorite.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #1089
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i'm SO glad Locke said to Jack "what gives us the right to tell people what to do?".

I can't stand Jack's character. he went from being a reluctant leader to a dictator who makes all the decisions. Locke is my favorite.

Its all about Eko. He's DA MAN.

I used to root for Jack to get Katie (for some reason, who gets Katie is important to me). Now, I think Sawyer is far the cooler character, so lets have some bad boy/bad girl sex.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #1090
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
And I'm sure that Michael (etc) did tell them about the dinky little motor boat that apparently is not good enough to get them off the island (or the others probably would have left long ago).
I'm sure that Michael, Sawyer, and Jin would've thought their chances of getting off the island were a lot better in the dinky little motoor boat than a raft made of bamboo.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #1091
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
One other comment.

I think a lot of people are kind of suggesting that Jack should have been more concerned about getting off the island than trying to find Michael and Walt. If the Others had offered Jack the motor boat and made him a little map back to Australlia, I'm not sure he would have taken it if it meant leaving M&W behind.
I'm sure he wouldn't accept it, but he would make sure the rest of the survivors got off the island.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #1092
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...sion-headlines

Found money in 'Lost'
Creating Original content for other media has made the ABC hit a financial model for the technological age

BY MARIA ELENA FERNANDEZ
LOS ANGELES TIMES

January 22, 2006

In its monster hit "Lost," ABC has found more than just a highly rated, award-winning television show with the potential to spin off sequels. "Lost" has become a world of its own, albeit fictional, that, with its labyrinth of clues and multilayered plots, has become the test case for the marriage between new technology and creative content.

Getting "Lost" has never been easier. It's on your TV set, your DVR and your iPod and in your DVD collection - and that's just the Wednesday-night program. Surf the Web and there are countless "Lost" sites - some designed by ABC or the show's creators and others by the legions of fans of the island castaways drama. Soon there will be "Lost Video Diaries" on Verizon cell phones, two-minute episodes that will chronicle the stories of characters who were on the doomed Oceanic Flight 815 but who do not appear on the show.

Still not "Lost" enough? There are books, magazines, trading cards, calendars, apparel and an upcoming board game.

This season, "Lost" is the fourth-ranked show both in total viewers and the all-important 18- to 49-year-old demographic. But "Lost" has become something more, a model for a new media age, one that has far-reaching financial implications for artists and producers as new technology almost demands that they produce original content for Internet sites and blogs, DVDs, Podcasts and books.

A harbinger of change

What's happening with "Lost" is also a harbinger of the changing nature of TV-watching itself, dividing its followers into two groups: the loyal audience that tunes in every week and the fans who devour every bit of information made available to them on the Internet, and in books and magazines.

"The show is the mother ship, but I think with all the new emerging technology, what we've discovered is that the world of 'Lost' is not basically circumscribed by the actual show itself," executive producer Carlton Cuse said.

Other networks and producers are following "Lost" closely to see if this multimedia franchising model can work for them. As technology allows more viewers to tune in how and when they want - most noticeably, commercial-free - networks are looking for new ways to distribute their shows as well as spark buzz about them. To that end, network marketers are working closer than ever with the writers and producers to generate campaigns that blend content with marketing strategies.

Internet assault

Billboards and TV commercial spots? Passe. Taking cues from high-profile promotional campaigns for big movies, ABC mounted an Internet assault last year, which paid off and taught its competitors a thing or two about marketing in this new age. (Fox and NBC followed suit this year with highly successful launches of "Prison Break" and "My Name Is Earl.") Instead of sucking life out of "Lost" by playing clips on the air ad nauseam, ABC went to town creating even more intrigue about the airliner that crashed than co-creators J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof managed to pack into their $11-million, two-hour pilot.

"You have to be judicious about not letting the technology wag the dog of content, if you will," said Stephen McPherson, president of ABC prime-time entertainment. "There are so many different aspects that go into all of these multiple platforms that you just can't say it's a successful show, so let's put it on 20 platforms. But the idea that great content can be used in a multitude of different ways is a wonderful challenge and a wonderful opportunity." The new platforms provide myriad ways for the networks to sell their shows.

"I actually look at marketing more like developing content for the show," said Mike Benson, ABC's senior vice president of marketing. "We're really setting out in our marketing to prove what these shows are. And while we can hype and sell, I'd rather tell a story than sell a story." ABC is developing an interactive Web site to delve into aspects of the show's mythology that will never be explored on air. Content for the site is being created by a "Lost" staff writer.

"We obviously come up with these ideas based on the storytelling, what's cool to us," Lindelof said. "But then our masters will provide us with resources to do this stuff if there's a potential revenue stream down the line. So we're scratching each other's backs."

Driving fans into the maze

Fans such as Rob Eichenlaub, a Web designer who clicks on the fan Web site www.lost-tv.com as soon as "Lost" goes off the air, can't wait to log on to get more clues.

"There's something about this big puzzle that everybody wants to be the first to solve," said Eichenlaub, 29, of Hudson, Fla. "If I was alone in it, it wouldn't be so fun. But it sort of sprung up, this whole subculture of fans who really see it like a video game." It's all about the bottom line of course, and the idea is to drive the audience into the "Lost" maze, whether it's reflected in Nielsen ratings, merchandise purchases, online hits or $1.99 Apple downloads.

Networks and studios that want to thrive in this new age are going to have to become as "platform-agnostic" as the Generation X and Y viewers they are targeting, said Bruce Gersh, senior vice president of business development for ABC Entertainment.

"We are reaching viewers primarily via the television screen, but as we look into the crystal ball, who knows how many more products might be out there that will allow our consumers to have a great viewing experience," Gersh said.

The biggest worry Lindelof and Cuse have is losing viewers who skip one episode and don't return because they become intimidated by the revealing flashback they missed or the complex plot's twists and turns.

Getting in on the action

Other shows have gone above and beyond communicating with fans.

"Six Feet Under" producers regularly wrote eulogies for the people who died on the HBO drama, and its Web site included detailed back stories of the show's characters. Writers of "Nip/Tuck" recently posted a blog on www.myspace.com for the Carver, the show's topical serial killer. "How I Met Your Mother" writers have penned Barney's blog, a spot on www.cbs.com, where fans can keep up with the character's shenanigans. In this new world, TV writing isn't just about turning in scripts.

"The job of being a television show-runner has evolved, and there's all these new aspects to it," Cuse said. "It's good because there are additional avenues open for content. We have ways of expressing ideas we have for the show that wouldn't fit into the television series. But it's hard to manage our time. And we honestly put most of our time and attention on the show itself - that still is the bread and butter of our existence."
Old 01-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #1093
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729

He also used a Hanso quote. Not sure how a pirate knows the founder of the Hanso foundation.

http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

“From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look beyond what is accepted as the truth and to imagine what is possible.”

- Alvar Hanso, Address to the U.N. Security Council, 1967
I didn't realize that's where that quotation came from. But don't forget he immediately followed that with the "curiosity killed the cat" jibe at Jack. I think he used that quote sarcastically, which would mean he knows about the Dharma people, is not one of them, and thinks ill of them. I think the pirates have seized any number (but not all, of course) Dharma shelters (and seen the films) and killed most of the Dharma-ites they come across.

Perhaps these pirates even thought they had the Dharma people wiped out and Jack's Ethan revelation was slightly nasty news for him.

Since the pirates are taking children, could Ethan--like Rousseau--have had one of his kids kidnapped by the pirates and so kidnapped pregnant Claire thinking he could swap her for his kid? If so, what brought Ethan to the island? He might have been what Michael would become if left alone to find Walt. I'm thinking Ethan will pop up in a back story soon.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #1094
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45
But if Scruffy Zeke has access to one (because there are several on the island) why would he be so dirty and why would they have not gone to the other ones and gotten the guns? Surely they know about them, right?

I don't think the people associated with a hatch know about the other hatches. If you go back to episode where the tailies find their hatch, the "other" infiltrating the group looks suprised to see the hatch (right before Ana Lucia takes him off on a walk and kills him).

So I suspect the hatches/projects were intentionally kept separate (with one not knowing about the other) ... or else the other with the Tailie was indeed a pirate type who has no knowledge about the hatches.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #1095
ice4277
Pro Rookie

So, just for shits and giggles, I visited a couple of the fake websites that ABC has set up for the show, including one for Charlies band, www.driveshaftband.com.

This quote from the main page kind of stuck out at me: "peaking of anniversaries, we're sure you're aware that tomorrow marks a very sad day for DriveSHAFT fans everywhere. We can hardly believe it's already been a year since Charlie went missing."

In the show, haven't only a couple months passed by? I'm almost positive that the othery day they mentioned being on the island for only 50 or 60 days. This seems to indicate that either:

At the current rate of time progression in the series, they are going to be stuck on the island for a very long time, or,
Maybe time passes at a different rate on the island?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #1096
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
So, just for shits and giggles, I visited a couple of the fake websites that ABC has set up for the show, including one for Charlies band, www.driveshaftband.com.

This quote from the main page kind of stuck out at me: "peaking of anniversaries, we're sure you're aware that tomorrow marks a very sad day for DriveSHAFT fans everywhere. We can hardly believe it's already been a year since Charlie went missing."

In the show, haven't only a couple months passed by? I'm almost positive that the othery day they mentioned being on the island for only 50 or 60 days. This seems to indicate that either:

At the current rate of time progression in the series, they are going to be stuck on the island for a very long time, or,
Maybe time passes at a different rate on the island?

My understanding is that the Driveshaft site is NOT a ABC ran site so it's actually a fake fake.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #1097
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
My understanding is that the Driveshaft site is NOT a ABC ran site so it's actually a fake fake.

Ah. That may explain things then. Although they do have a lot of material (pics and such) of Charlie in a band-type setting, which I don't remember from the show.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #1098
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I'm sure that Michael, Sawyer, and Jin would've thought their chances of getting off the island were a lot better in the dinky little motoor boat than a raft made of bamboo.

This one made me laugh. As much as you couldn't get me on either of those boats for an unidentified distance I sure don't want to be in a motor boat a few miles from shore when it runs out of gas. I'll take the sale boat made of bamboo, thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #1099
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
I didn't realize that's where that quotation came from. But don't forget he immediately followed that with the "curiosity killed the cat" jibe at Jack. I think he used that quote sarcastically, which would mean he knows about the Dharma people, is not one of them, and thinks ill of them. I think the pirates have seized any number (but not all, of course) Dharma shelters (and seen the films) and killed most of the Dharma-ites they come across.

Perhaps these pirates even thought they had the Dharma people wiped out and Jack's Ethan revelation was slightly nasty news for him.

Since the pirates are taking children, could Ethan--like Rousseau--have had one of his kids kidnapped by the pirates and so kidnapped pregnant Claire thinking he could swap her for his kid? If so, what brought Ethan to the island? He might have been what Michael would become if left alone to find Walt. I'm thinking Ethan will pop up in a back story soon.

Is there any chance that the bearded guy is going to turn out to be the "good" guy? I mean, assuming there are at least two major groups of pre-Oceanic flight island inhabitants, what makes everyone believe that grizzly adams isn't the leader of the good guys?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #1100
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
This one made me laugh. As much as you couldn't get me on either of those boats for an unidentified distance I sure don't want to be in a motor boat a few miles from shore when it runs out of gas. I'll take the sale boat made of bamboo, thanks.
Hmmmm....now that I think about it, you're right.