Old 11-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #1052
bronconick
College Starter

Aaron Rodgers is done.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #1053
QuikSand
lolzcat

who out there had the AFC East all-above-.500 at this point on your bingo cards?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #1054
miami_fan
Coordinator

So uhhh this Josh McDaniels head coaching thing...
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #1055
cuervo72
Head Coach

The switching thing gets me, too. Like trying to watch the Eagles and Phillies the other night; switching between the Prime app on my TV and DirecTV is not exactly smooth. Thankfully I have two TVs down in the basement side-by-side, one with the app and the other hooked up to the satellite. But I'm not always going to be doing that.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #1056
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Aaron Rodgers is done.

Pre-6/1 Release
2023 Dead Cap: $99,778,568

Pre-6/1 Trade
2023 Dead Cap: $40,313,568

Post-6/1 Release
2023 Dead Cap: $75,298,568
2024 Dead Cap: $24,480,000

Post-6/1 Trade
2023 Dead Cap: $15,833,568
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #1057
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Refs gifted this one to the Dolphins.

The job Getsy has done with the offense the past few weeks is incredible.

Although it's not exactly stunning that Fields looks much better in an offense that resembles Baltimore's rather than Green Bays.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #1058
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Pre-6/1 Release
2023 Dead Cap: $99,778,568

Pre-6/1 Trade
2023 Dead Cap: $40,313,568

Post-6/1 Release
2023 Dead Cap: $75,298,568

Post-6/1 Trade
2023 Dead Cap: $15,833,568

So a trade is the best outcome. Denver has a QB they could swap!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #1059
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The corollary to the crazy-guaranteed-money-to-quarterbacks trend is quite a bit of pain if you commit wrong.

Rodgers and Brady seem distracted and older. Not surprising. I'm watching Brady right now, and looking at his season numbers, watching his decision-making and I still think he's got enough to lead a good team. The Bucs seem to want to establish a running game today, though. Best of luck with that.

Rodgers seems more emotional right now - interceptions way up this season. I know he wants more receivers and is probably still seething about losing Adams. Maybe it's that bad out there, given they can't run the ball. When what might be the worst defense in the history of the game holds you to single digits, you are more than one player removed from awful.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #1060
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
So uhhh this Josh McDaniels head coaching thing...

right, how could anyone have seen it coming?
Old 11-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #1061
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So a trade is the best outcome. Denver has a QB they could swap!

I think the Colts make the most sense since they are the official NFL QB retirement home at this point.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #1062
QuikSand
lolzcat

same energy, coach
Old 11-06-2022, 05:22 PM   #1063
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The corollary to the crazy-guaranteed-money-to-quarterbacks trend is quite a bit of pain if you commit wrong.

Rodgers and Brady seem distracted and older. Not surprising. I'm watching Brady right now, and looking at his season numbers, watching his decision-making and I still think he's got enough to lead a good team. The Bucs seem to want to establish a running game today, though. Best of luck with that.

Rodgers seems more emotional right now - interceptions way up this season. I know he wants more receivers and is probably still seething about losing Adams. Maybe it's that bad out there, given they can't run the ball. When what might be the worst defense in the history of the game holds you to single digits, you are more than one player removed from awful.
When you're the player with the biggest cap hit in the NFL, you (Aaron Rodgers) have to understand (or find a player agent who has a grasp of how a salary cap works) that you brought this (lack of quality teammates) all on yourself.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #1064
miami_fan
Coordinator

At some point, this game has to become Brady to Evans vs Stafford to Kupp right? Because I know that is going to be an issue for Bucs fans that Kupp is the only viable receiver for the Rams and that is enough to beat them for three quarters in.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #1065
miami_fan
Coordinator

Why was that not a penalty for Ramsey taking off his helmet on the field? Not that I want them to call a penalty there, I am just looking for clarification.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #1066
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Credit to the Bucs for the comeback.

I’ve rarely seen playcalling/execution as scared as the Rams to give them the opportunity. They were playing to punt—not just in calls, but in overall approach.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #1067
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
When you're the player with the biggest cap hit in the NFL, you (Aaron Rodgers) have to understand (or find a player agent who has a grasp of how a salary cap works) that you brought this (lack of quality teammates) all on yourself.

That's true. And the only player I've ever seen both acknowledge that and act on it is Brady. He never held the Patriots or Bucs for ransom. Of course, it helps if your wife is wealthier than you are. And next year, if he's feeling the financial crunch, maybe he acts?

You see him put together a game like that one, not a great one, but he kept moving the chains and dropped back 59 times, often under pressure... he's still quite good. Stafford had the one big pass, which was a great throw, but otherwise disappeared. He seems far too locked onto Kupp.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:51 PM   #1068
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm surprised the Titans aren't taking a look at Logan Woodside while Tanneyhill recovers - they have to know Willis isn't ready for prime time. Costly loss there.

Last edited by Solecismic : 11-06-2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:52 PM   #1069
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice comeback win for the Chiefs.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #1070
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Football is such a random game.

Looking at how the Rams played against the Bucs: If Jaquiski Tartt didn't drop an interception that was right in his hands in the NFC Championship last year, people would be openly calling for McVay to be replaced right now. And the Rams' "fuck dem picks" strategy would be being mocked as a total failure.

One Super Bowl changes everything.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #1071
Ksyrup

Woodside went to HS 20 minutes from me. I still can't believe he made it to the NFL. I don't know what he looks like but anything would have been better than Willis.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #1072
QuikSand
lolzcat

I didn't watch the game, but it sounds a bit strange hearing complaints here that the Tennessee coaches didn't give their team any chance to win by playing Willis at QB.

They just took the Chiefs to overtime. The Chiefs are on everyone's list as a top-tier team this season, right?

I'm sure that Willis had lost moments, but... maybe his running threat contributed to the team's success overall?
Old 11-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #1073
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Schefter, Frank Reich is out in Indy.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #1074
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Man, after the Eagles Super Bowl run and people giving him a lot of credit for it, I thought he would nail it as a head coach.

I actually had the Colts as my sleeper team this year. I thought that Ryan had enough left in the tank and that Reich would kick ass with the improvement over Wentz at QB.

I was really wrong on both counts.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #1075
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Man, after the Eagles Super Bowl run and people giving him a lot of credit for it, I thought he would nail it as a head coach.

I actually had the Colts as my sleeper team this year. I thought that Ryan had enough left in the tank and that Reich would kick ass with the improvement over Wentz at QB.

there with you
Old 11-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #1076
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
...and replaced by Jeff Saturday who has no NFL coaching experience. I'm sure benching a veteran for an inexperienced QB, firing the OC, then firing the HC who's been an offensive coach in 3 consecutive weeks will solve their O-Line issues. Maybe they think Saturday can play Center as well as coach?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #1077
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems weird to like not just promote an assistant. This is some XFL type stuff
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #1078
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I didn't watch the game, but it sounds a bit strange hearing complaints here that the Tennessee coaches didn't give their team any chance to win by playing Willis at QB.

They just took the Chiefs to overtime. The Chiefs are on everyone's list as a top-tier team this season, right?

I'm sure that Willis had lost moments, but... maybe his running threat contributed to the team's success overall?

There's no question that a quarterback with speed and running ability forces a defense to change its commitment to general run-stopping.

Willis is in his second start. When he's forced to pass, he looks lost, like he doesn't have much idea who might be getting open. So teams can adjust.

After a crazy second quarter, most of it chunk running plays, most of that Henry, the Chiefs completely shut them down. On their last nine non-kneel down drives, the Titans gained eight yards. Not eight yards per drive, eight yards, period. Total yardage for the game was 499-229. This didn't look like a normal overtime game, statistically.

In two full starts, Willis has generated less than 100 net passing yards. Now there's two full games of film on him, and apparently, not much of a playbook on display.

He's not ready. Maybe the light turns on for him at some point, but I think the jump from Liberty to the NFL, even for an immensely talented athlete with a great arm, requires a lot of nurturing. Throwing him into the fire like this is the recipe for wasting that potential.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #1079
miami_fan
Coordinator

If we trust the Titans coaching staff, doesn't starting Willis say something about Woodside? I don't see why there would be pressure to put Willis in if Woodside was a better option right now.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #1080
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It could. But what we've seen from Willis is pretty clear. If Woodside isn't worth playing after four years in the league (no starts), why even keep him on the practice squad?

Trial by fire can work. But it usually doesn't. There are other quarterbacks on other practice squads who can do more if they know Woodside cannot.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #1081
RainMaker
General Manager

Willis is definitely not ready but I don't blame them for giving him a shot and some experience. This is probably Tannehill's last season for the Titans.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #1082
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Looks like Irsay is taking extra dosage of his medications again.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #1083
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Same here. Wasted 1 of my 5 salary cap teams on them.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #1084
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

"Leader of Men"
Old 11-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #1085
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If Woodside isn't worth playing after four years in the league (no starts), why even keep him on the practice squad?

Now this is a great question and may speak to the pressure on the coaching staff or the rest of the organization. Why don't they have a proper backup QB on the roster?

According to Spotrac, the Titans have the highest % of adjusted cap allocation devoted to the quarterback position with 18.75%. That does not even count Woodside as he is on the practice squad. For context, KC is 2nd with 18.51% for three QBs (Chad Henne and Shane Buechele are the backups), GB is 5th at 14.81% (Jordan Love), and Buffalo is 10th at 9.53% (Case Keenum).
Old 11-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #1086
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

But look at some other teams if they cut the expensive quarterback during the off-season. Tannehill could be cut after this season and the Titans could easily absorb the hit. He has the highest cap number in the NFL, but he is not deferring a huge amount of guaranteed money and there isn't a huge amount of bonus yet to amortize.

One interesting fact about practice squad QBs: they have a combined 10-67 record in the NFL. Combine that with the need to learn a new playbook and perhaps it's not a good plan to consider one.

So why did the Titans enter 2022 without a true backup to Tannehill? I'm sure they scouted Willis as an NFL arm with game-breaking running skills, but very, very raw. That's why he didn't go in the first round. He's a project. You look at other teams, and this type of project is protected in the third spot - never active for a game. So if they know Woodside can't do it, and he presumably knows the playbook, the mistake was made long ago, and I think it will cost them a playoff spot in the end.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #1087
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Leader of Men"

I’d consider coaching football to be so much harder than the other sports and it’s puzzling that you’d attempt to shove a novice in there. Whereas MLB managers are virtually drones and NBA coaches are mostly about managing egos with some minor tactics.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #1088
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I’d consider coaching football to be so much harder than the other sports and it’s puzzling that you’d attempt to shove a novice in there. Whereas MLB managers are virtually drones and NBA coaches are mostly about managing egos with some minor tactics.
https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/...s-01ghaf3acz4m

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/15...s-01ghaf3acz4m

He's smarter than us Steve, don't question it.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:04 AM   #1089
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
So why did the Titans enter 2022 without a true backup to Tannehill? I'm sure they scouted Willis as an NFL arm with game-breaking running skills, but very, very raw. That's why he didn't go in the first round. He's a project. You look at other teams, and this type of project is protected in the third spot - never active for a game. So if they know Woodside can't do it, and he presumably knows the playbook, the mistake was made long ago, and I think it will cost them a playoff spot in the end.
I don't think entering an NFL season without a "real" backup is a sin, because if you want to say hey if our starter goes down we're screwed I get it, I just don't get wasting a roster spot on Logan Woodside if he wasn't going to play over Willis if Tannehill went down. Especially that given what Vrabel has asked Willis to do your emergency QB could've just been Derrick Henry running the single wing.

Granted the Patriots have somewhat done this recently with Brian Hoyer, but that dude is a better QB coach (and maybe OC) than anyone on staff, plus weirdly they have tried to play him first over Zappe when Mac is hurt.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-08-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:26 AM   #1090
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think being a game day NFL head coach is very hard, provided you have a good staff/base. (I also think you underrate NBA head coaches - not a lot of practice time to adapt in the season, but we have seen a lot of tactical brilliance and seismic shifts in how the league plays going forward in the last decade.) It really is more like being a CEO than requiring X&O's knowledge at a certain point... like I think either of us could step in as HC for a game if a Bill Belichick or Andy Reid had to take a sick day, or if someone else did but a (prime) Tom Brady/Peyton Manning was the QB.

But if your team has no established culture, QB, OC, O-Line chemistry... that last one isn't something you can cobble together with upper quartile grit or whatever.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:18 AM   #1091
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
But look at some other teams if they cut the expensive quarterback during the off-season. Tannehill could be cut after this season and the Titans could easily absorb the hit. He has the highest cap number in the NFL, but he is not deferring a huge amount of guaranteed money and there isn't a huge amount of bonus yet to amortize.

One interesting fact about practice squad QBs: they have a combined 10-67 record in the NFL. Combine that with the need to learn a new playbook and perhaps it's not a good plan to consider one.

The Titans have the AFC South pretty much secured already, the other 3 teams are in the bottom 8 of the NFL. I think giving Willis a baptism in fire before he was ready will be good for his development, especially since he can now go back to the bench instead of being under the gun to perform next week. As for Tannehill, I have to think he would have trade value if they wanted to move on after this year or they could amicably part ways after next year and presumably get a high tier comp pick.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #1092
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Listened to the Athletic NFL show earlier, I found out that Gus Bradley and John Fox are on the staff. Scott Milanovich won a Grey Cup.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:08 PM   #1093
RainMaker
General Manager

It sounds like the Commanders are about to be in legal trouble but this press release reads like they had something to do with the Brian Robinson shooting. It's the most bizarre thing I've read in awhile. Do they not have a PR department?

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #1094
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Who knows? With the Commanders, maybe they were involved

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #1095
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Leader of Men"

He literally did the “I can lead men” speech at a presser
Old 11-11-2022, 09:04 AM   #1096
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Tannehill will be 35 next year with a 27M base salary.

Doubt he can be traded for anything more than a 4th?
Old 11-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #1097
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Tannehill will be 35 next year with a 27M base salary.

Doubt he can be traded for anything more than a 4th?

So yeah... it does seem like time to talk about the market for not-great-but-not-bad quarterbacks. It seems like the forgotten marketplace in the NFL, to me.

Every QB who has a case as "elite" feels entitled to a market-setting deal... I'd start the clock on this modern approach with post-SB Joe Flacco. Then when Jay Cutler came up, he got his too, and both teams suffered for them. Lamar seems next, then maybe Tua, and in each case the agent and team both know the script... Lamar doesn't have to make the case he's better than Kyler or Rodgers or whomever, he just knows this is how top QBs work, you put up a big number.

But while the market seems clear on high-end guys, and also on the value of rookie-contract guys... what should the value be of guys who are solidly in the middle? Daniel Jones is playing his way into a new deal, I guess... but a couple of those teams who brought about caretakers at QB are not having it as bad as we might have guessed... Geno Smith and even Marcus Mariota (let's skip over last night) have not sunk their teams' chances, and in Smith's case he is downright elevating his team.

What does Baker Mayfield get next year if he remains in the NFL? Mitch Trubisky? Tannehill if he's on the open market? Just "solid backup money" (2022 Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater) or are we about to develop a new tier for guys like that, where the list of relevant entries seems to be meaningful?

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-11-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #1098
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Nice pump fake by Tua on the Dolphins first TD

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #1099
larrymcg421