Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #1051
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
FUCK

I have to go to the Red Sox game with a client tomorrow, so I won't be able to watch the Celtics game. Damnit. At least we should get out before the Celtics game is over out on the West Coast...
Game 6 might be frustrating to watch... unless we can win by 20+ again, I'm guessing most of the calls in the 4th will be going against us.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #1052
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Game 6 might be frustrating to watch... unless we can win by 20+ again, I'm guessing most of the calls in the 4th will be going against us.

It's sad that this is the truth.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #1053
MrBug708
Head Coach

Have some confidence in your team and wait til you get screwed by the calls before you start bitching about the calls
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #1054
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Have some confidence in your team and wait til you get screwed by the calls before you start bitching about the calls

I was more commenting on the general state of the NBA.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #1055
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree that the rotation changed, but when you watch the second shot, you can see that it was when it hit the backboard. Oh well, need to win the last two

The ball has 3 rotations; 1 when it leaves Ray Allen's hand, 1 when it scrapes the rim, and one more when it bounces off the backboard on its way down. Unless you think it hit the backboard twice, which I don't think is possible from that angle.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #1056
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who Complains About Fouls More: The Lakers or the Celtics? - WSJ.com

I know most people think Kobe complains more about foul shots then most anyone, but apparently in this series, he's only tied for 4th between the two teams.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #1057
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I know most people think Kobe complains more about foul shots then most anyone, but apparently in this series, he's only tied for 4th between the two teams.

My issue with Kobe is not his whining after foul calls, its the whining every time he has possession of the ball and there is a defender within 3 feet of him and a foul is not called on his opponent that drives me insane. He's not the only one, but purely anecdotally based on my viewing of the playoffs, he seems the worst. I don't like Boston either, so /shrug. But Kobe complaining after foul calls is a very very small part of what makes him so unlikable to me.

Sheed has been pulling his shit since he was at UNC. I could not have predicted his technical foul record while in college, but I could have told you he would act bewildered by 65% of fouls called on him
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #1058
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Best-Case scenario: Lakers come out flat, Bynum cannot go vertically, Ray-Ray hits a couple key shots, Tony Allen continues to slow Kobe down, Rondo makes the Lakers foolish on the way to a triple double and the Celtics run them out of the game.

Worst-Case Scenario: Celtics come out believing they're going to win without much effort, Lakers crowd get into it early, Kobe remains hot, Bynum pulls out a Willis Reed effort, the Lakers bait Sheed and Perk into Technicals, meaning they will miss Game Seven, Lakers win easy.

What-I-Expect: Kobe remains hot (semi-hot when Tony Allen is on him), Celtics continue to pound the paint, back and forth game, Celtics make a couple more plays (Kobe makes plays but his team can't pull their weight), Celtics win by 6-8.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #1059
MrBug708
Head Coach

If the Lakers take game 6 and the C's are minus Perkins for game 7, does that tip the scales back to the Lakers?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #1060
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If the Lakers take game 6, barring injury or ejection, I would think the scales tip back to them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #1061
MrBug708
Head Coach

I used to like the 2/3/2, but mostly for baseball. It's weird to think that you can be heading home, down in the series 3-2, yet you still have home court advantage.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #1062
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In baseball, home field isn't nearly as big of a deal as in the other major sports so I don't think it matters as much

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #1063
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Eh - its questionable. There's certainly a home field advantage in baseball (home team wins 53-55% of games), but its a reasonable question how much of that is rules (batting 2nd) and how much is "home sauce" (from the field, from the fans, etc etc). Dont know no's for NBA / NHL / NFL regular season off-hand.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-15-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #1064
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The most ludicrous thing about the format is that there's a chance the series can end with the lower seed getting more home games than the higher seed.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #1065
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im cautiously hopeful at this moment
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #1066
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just got home. What happened with Perkins?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #1067
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Just got home. What happened with Perkins?

Possible torn MCL. He's done.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #1068
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice of them to completely shit the bed so I can stop watching :/
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #1069
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Nice of them to completely shit the bed so I can stop watching :/

They were down 24 in the 3rd quarter of Game 4 in 2008 and came back to win that one. And at most there are only 6 quarters of basketball left this year, that's why I'll keep watching.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #1070
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I get where you're coming from.. but the lackadasical play, and the fact that the Lakers simply want it more, this is better for my blood pressure
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #1071
MrBug708
Head Coach

Holy crap!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #1072
MrBug708
Head Coach

If the Lakers lose this in 6/7, does Kobe still win the Finals MVP. Pierce has been more vital for the C's, but Rondo has played consistently better?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #1073
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

One good Laker quarter away from a Game 7.

War Kobe!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #1074
MrBug708
Head Coach

Going 7!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #1075
Galaril
Pro Starter

If Perkins is out game 7 from the looks of the game tonight the Celts will have a tough go of it trying to control the ever important rebounding battle.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #1076
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad I was at the Red Sox game and saved from spending any time on this aborted fetus of an effort by the Celtics.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #1077
Easy Mac

Well crap, ABC was going to show the last 2 episodes of Better Off Ted on Thursday night if the series didn't go 7. They said they weren't sure if they would show them otherwise.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #1078
MikeVic
Head Coach

Regardless of outcome, Celtics fans have to be happy. I had them losing in the first round, and I don't think many people would've pegged them for the finals.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #1079
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Regardless of outcome, Celtics fans have to be happy. I had them losing in the first round, and I don't think many people would've pegged them for the finals.

I can't speak for others, but this is absolutely how I feel. Granted, I would like nothing better than to win Game 7 and it would take me QUITE a while to get over possibly losing, but in the long run it's been a great playoff run.

I just think that in addition to the way the Bruins were ousted, this would sting that much more and for a while, should they lose.

As for last night, what an epic embarassment. Not taking anything away from the Lakers either, but EVERYONE on the C's was just so ineffective.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #1080
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I can't speak for others, but this is absolutely how I feel. Granted, I would like nothing better than to win Game 7 and it would take me QUITE a while to get over possibly losing, but in the long run it's been a great playoff run.

I just think that in addition to the way the Bruins were ousted, this would sting that much more and for a while, should they lose.

As for last night, what an epic embarrassment. Not taking anything away from the Lakers either, but EVERYONE on the C's was just so ineffective.

I agree this is a great season regardless but if they lose as is now expected by all because of a freakish knee injury to Perkins that will be a tough pill to swollen. I truly believe and alot of non C fans also do that with a healthy Perk the Celtics are the better team and likely win game 7. The Lakers definitely got the table set and must be loving the scenario.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #1081
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

In the long run I will be satisfied based on expectations a few months ago, but I don't think you can ever be happy losing a winnable series for a championship.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #1082
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Agreed. I think people are forgetting what a horrible regular season the Celtics had, and are just kind of blending them in with the teams of the two years prior. But this team played .500 basketball for the last 2/3rds of the season.

Last edited by molson : 06-16-2010 at 11:16 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #1083
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I agree this is a great season regardless but if they lose as is now expected by all because of a freakish knee injury to Perkins that will be a tough pill to swollen. I truly believe and alot of non C fans also do that with a healthy Perk the Celtics are the better team and likely win game 7. The Lakers definitely got the table set and must be loving the scenario.

I agree.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #1084
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Just like 2008. The Lakers were the better team, but Bynum was hurt, so C's won the championship.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #1085
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Just like 2008. The Lakers were the better team, but Bynum was hurt, so C's won the championship.

Bynum wasn't a member of the team in 2008. He was hurt basically the entire year. Perk will have been hurt for this one game.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1086
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bynum wasn't a member of the team in 2008. He was hurt basically the entire year. Perk will have been hurt for this one game.

Incorrect. Bynum played almost half of the season and in fact was in dominant form when he hurt himself. The Lakers were in first in the Western Conference before they even acquired Gasol that year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #1087
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And besides--you're missing the point.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #1088
heybrad
Norm!!!

Trevor Ariza was hurt for the finals as well in 2008, but playing the injury card here is pretty sad. I mean, hello.... Bynum is playing with a torn up knee right now and had to leave the game last night as well.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #1089
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's probably best if both sides try to avoid making excuses for this or other series.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #1090
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's probably best if both sides try to avoid making excuses for this or other series.
I agree with this. They haven't even played game 7 and excuses are being dropped. Not good.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #1091
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

I tend to agree. I don't believe the statement I made about the 2008 Lakers. I think the Celtics that year were the better team and they showed it, with or without Bynum (or Ariza) playing for the Lakers.

IMO, that thinking hold true this season as well, just in the opposite direction. Perkins wasn't going to stop what happened last night, and the presence of Perkins all season certainly didn't give Boston a better record in a weaker conference than the Lakers. To suggest that he is the difference between the Celtics being a better team than the Lakers is ridiculous.

The Celtics may indeed be a better team than the Lakers. We'll see on Thursday. I don't know yet for sure.

But until then, if I see a "Celtics are the better team" statement, against all other conclusive evidence, I am going to have to figure its coming from a Boston homer who isn't thinking to remove his green-tinted shades before commenting (I.e. Galaril, who of course already displayed such homerific qualities in this thread just a few days ago).

Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #1092
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The best statement I heard about this series was from someone after game 5. He said ignore the wins on each opponent's home court. If both sides held serve, at the end of game 5 it would be advantage Cs 3-2. We are where we should be.

Last edited by Warhammer : 06-16-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #1093
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I always assumed it'd go 7. Just not sure how the C's can gameplan a game 7 win without Perk (regardless of which floor they're on).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #1094
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping they can bring in someone to out-diva Aguilera's game 6 national anthem.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #1095
Groundhog
Coordinator

Game 7: Where Rasheed Wallace Threes (...attempts...) Happen
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #1096
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Perk's officially out. Celtics prolly done. Shame a good series ends up being so affected by an injury right before the deciding game.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #1097
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lots of talk about Jackson leaving the Lakers after tomorrows game. It's based on a comment he said to the media today, saying this is likely his last time doing this.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #1098
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perk's officially out. Celtics prolly done. Shame a good series ends up being so affected by an injury right before the deciding game.
Lakers have had a banged up Bynum all postseason. Tough to blame this on injuries.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #1099
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Lakers have had a banged up Bynum all postseason. Tough to blame this on injuries.

Not really. Big difference. Bynum has managed to play and be varying levels of effectiveness. Big difference between that and him being out entirely.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #1100
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Bynum hasn't been close to 100% in the series. If he's at 100%, the series is over.

And it's Kendrick Perkins who is hurt, not Tim Duncan. If your championship hopes ride on the back of Kendrick Perkins, you don't deserve to win a championship.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote