Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #1051
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Is Ted Nolan ever going to get another job?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:58 PM   #1052
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
So Detroit won't be signing Claude Lemieux??

It would be like 1969 all over again. Riots in the streets. The city on fire. Chaos. Little HB would lead the charge!

A few years back I saw Lemieux when played for the Coyotes. It was at a Caps game. I used the firm's seats. They were amazing. Third row from the visiting bench. There I sat, some 15 feet or so from Lemieux all game. I felt very uncomfortable. Very, very uncomfortable. No. me. gusta.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:02 PM   #1053
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
Is Ted Nolan ever going to get another job?

At this point you wouldn't think so, no? His name surfaces with each vacancy and there have only been like 33,000 or so since he got sacked. There has to be something wrong with him. I heard he had a coccaine problem. I forget where I heard that.

I also heard that he was brought in for an interview a year or two ago and he was totally out of touch with the league. Didn't know the players and such...

Oh well.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:04 PM   #1054
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
For the love of Pete, let this thread die already.

It is for the love of Pete (aka, the first name of HB's secret identity) we keep this thread alive!!

Sorry for all the dolas. been out all afternoon.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:21 PM   #1055
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Nolan was one of the favorites for the Flames job last year, and had a 2-3 hour interview.

My guess is that he's too expensive for what he brings to the table. He doesn't have a winning record as a coach, and let's not forget he had the best goaltender of the decade between the pipes for him. Put in a defensive minded system on an average team with a great GK, and bingo, you have an above .500 club. But after what went on in Buffalo, what GM is going to risk his job by bringing him in?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #1056
Karim
College Starter

One of the constant complaints that came up while he was interviewing in Calgary was his lack of knowledge of the league, which apparently he doesn't see as a handicap. If he truly was interested in returning to the NHL he would have taken an assistant, minor or junior job by now but his ego won't allow him to.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:17 AM   #1057
bbor
Pro Starter

He is coaching a team...his sons bantom hockey team

i think he needs to start over in junior before he goes to the nhl again.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 03:14 AM   #1058
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree. He will have to start over if he wants to revive his career. It doesn't seem like he has the ego to pull such a thing off. Aww well...

As for those who are hoping this thread will die, they forget... bbor posts here. This thread will never... ever... die. It will be the Rasputin of the FOFC board.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-13-2003, 06:09 AM   #1059
klayman
College Benchwarmer

...at least until we get a new hockey sticky thread!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 AM   #1060
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Art Ross Trophy, points scoring leader -- Peter Forsberg, Colorado

Maurice Richard Trophy, goal-scoring leader -- Milan Hejduk, Colorado

William M. Jennings Trophy, goalies with fewest goals against, minimum 25 games -- Martin Brodeur, New Jersey, and Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Philadelphia

Hart Memorial Trophy, MVP -- Peter Forsberg, Colorado

Vezina Trophy, goaltender -- Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman -- Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit

Calder Memorial Trophy, rookie -- Barret Jackman, St. Louis

Frank J. Selke Trophy, defensive forward -- Jere Lehtinen, Dallas

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, most gentlemanly -- Alexander Mogilny, Toronto

Jack Adams Award, coach -- Jacques Lemaire, Minnesota

King Clancy Trophy, humanitarian contribution to hockey -- Brendan Shanahan, Detroit

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey -- Steve Yzerman, Detroit

Lester B. Pearson Award, outstanding player -- Markus Naslund, Vancouver

Brodeur beat out Turco for the Vezina. Ok, I'll buy that.
Lehtinen wins another Selke. Happy day...but he still won't get credit from the national media.
Is Chechmanek the first Jennings winner to be traded for a 4th round pick? Yikes.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #1061
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Brodeur beat out Turco for the Vezina. Ok, I'll buy that.
Lehtinen wins another Selke. Happy day...but he still won't get credit from the national media.
Is Chechmanek the first Jennings winner to be traded for a 4th round pick? Yikes.

I think it was a second rounder, but still, you're right. Not a bad dreal at all for the Kings, if their goal is to make the play-offs. It's hard to get value of any kind for a goalie who is a known play-off choke artist. The Kings are banking on the assumption that being out of Philly will help Chechmanek and he will overcome his play-off demons. Good luck to them...

As for the rest. Awards seemed pretty right. Good to see Lidstrom get his third Norris in a row. Only Bobby Orr has managed this feat. Quite impressive. Quite.

Stevie Y got the Masterson. He deserved. He went through hell and came back a little champion.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #1062
bbor
Pro Starter

The question with Chechmanik is...How bad is he REALLy in the dressing room.

Is this just another Booby Clarke dumb-ass trade?...or was this done because Chechmanik was so unliked by his team mates?

If he IS indeed a cancer in the dressroom...then even a 4th rounder is too much for this guy.Nothing destroys a team like a bad actor in the dressing room....As the Leafs can attest too

Where have you gone Shayne Corson.....o hwait...no one cares...

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #1063
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it is a Clarke dumb-ass move. He has a problem with goalies. He expects them to be much better than they actually are, even when they are pretty good. Look at what he did to Boucher. A trade now, would be a good thing for that goalie! Wouldn't it be something if he became the starter next season for them?
Old 06-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #1064
bbor
Pro Starter

Do hockey fans take weekends off??

I found this on the 2nd page...up to page 1 with you...

Old 06-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #1065
tucker342
Pro Starter

Who would have thought that a hockey thread would be so popular!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #1066
bbor
Pro Starter

Me!

You are all closet hockey fans

Old 06-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #1067
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Exactly. Everyone in this forum is a hockey fan--some just don't know it yet.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:38 PM   #1068
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Right-O! We are all hockey fans or will be once the chip is activated.

Hockey fans on this board, like any good hockey fan, are passionate and like to talk hockey. Hence, the popularity of the thread.

As for Chechmanek. It will be interesting to see what a chance of scenery will do for the lad. I don't doubt that he's a bit of a head-case. He's a goalie. He's from the Czech Republic, a country notorious for producing great, but slightly emotionally unstable players (Jagr, Klima, Hasek, etc.). So he's got that going against him. THen again, the Philly lockerroom has to be a mess. Primeau is a bitch. A big, ole baby. He is immature and self-centered. He and the rest of them ran Bill Barber out of town. Desjardins hates being vocal, he gave up his "C" for crissakes! Roenick, while I like him, is outspoken and could easily rub folks the wrong way. He's a bit like Bret Hull in that way.

L.A. may be a better place for Chechmanek. Maybe he will fit in better and with less pressure be able to perform come April/May.

We'll see...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #1069
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ok, this site is cheese, but it's kind of funny. Chief...DO NOT FOLLOW THIS LINK!!

Guigere and the whole "Puff Daddy" thing
Old 06-15-2003, 10:43 PM   #1070
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, of course the sad thing about this is that less people watched what is likely the best NHL playoff year ever in lieu of one of the worst NBA playoffs ever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:45 PM   #1071
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I know you said not to, but I just had to look at that. Just like telling a guy on the edge of a cliff not to look down--ain't gonna happen.

And believe it orn ot, I laugheds my ass off. The Elias firing into massive pillows in front of the net shot was just classic. And, man, I had no idea just how big Jiggy's pads are.

Of course, I don't remember Jiggy stopping a lot of shots with just his pads either, but that's for another discussion.

I completely agree with removing a lot of excess equipment from goaltenders. It really is getting ridiculous.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:04 AM   #1072
bbor
Pro Starter

F.A's??

Who needs what?

What is your team after...and who??

Old 06-16-2003, 03:53 AM   #1073
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will need to think on this for a moment, but...

The Wings first priority if simple. Sign Sergei Fedorov. This contract negotiation process, that begun last November when Fedorov was offered a 5 year $50 million dollar deal (and turned it down) has gone on for a longtime. The latest news is that Detroit offered him a 4 year/40 million deal which Fedorov turned down, insisting that the 5th year be put back in. The Wings need Fedorov. There is no one out there to replace him and Yzerman has about one more year left in him. Fedorov is a mercurial guy, but a great player nonetheless.

McCarty is also a FA. He will test the market. If he gets a good offer, I think he will bite. Players have to be realistic. This could be the last year of the "big contract." After the new collective bargaining agreement (if there ever is one) things will be different. THey will have to be. Salaries will be restructured. The players have to look to the future.

Yzerman, Larionov, and Wooley are also free agents. Yzerman will be brought back, the question is how much. Dunno about Larionov and Wooley.

A lot of what the Wings do outside of their own depends on who they sign. If they tie up Fedorov they may make a run at a veteran defenseman. In the DeVries type mold (though they shouldn't mess with Ex-Aves. Bad voodoo).

If they don't tie-up Feds, they will look to spend the money elsewhere. The most logical player would be Hatcher. He's the #1 FA (outside of Feds) and fills a MUCH needed role. He's a hometown boy-done-good too.

I will look over the FA list later and give a more detailed analysis.

The Thread lives!!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:47 AM   #1074
Karim
College Starter

UFAs aren't the problem for the Calgary Flames as only Berube and Lowry fall into that category. It is unlikely Berube will be re-signed and Lowry isn't a high priority but I expect him to return on a one-year deal playing a 4th line/leadership role.

The major obstacle is the fact that the Flames have 14 RFAs and a rookie GM in Darryl Sutter. He's done a surprising good job so far resigning Betts, Ference, Donovan, Clark and most importantly Regehr to a five year contract, the longest term in club history. He's coming off his best year and is expected to develop into an Adam Foote-type player and anchor the blueline for many years to come.

Chris Drury still needs to be resigned, however, as does Stephane Yelle. Chris Clark has the same agent as Drury so apparently everything is amicable. Drury definitely fits into Sutter's plans. Drury made $2.5 million last year but don't expect the Flames to dish out much more. The same holds true with Yelle who made $1.2 million last year. He's probably looking for the biggest percentage raise.

Sutter has indicated offers are already on the table and seems to have a "take it or leave it" attitude. There's no bullshit with him and he seems keen to run the ship his way. Some of the players on the outside looking in are Conroy, Lydman, Saprykin, Nichol, Begin, and Buzek.

Conroy will probably be stripped of his captaincy with the 'C' going to either Gauthier, Boughner or Iginla. He'll probably be dealt before next season is through.

Lydman is supposed to be an offensive defenceman and while he is the best on the squad in terms of skill, he hasn't lived up to the expectations everyone has established for him. But since this was the greatest weakness last year, I'm sure he'll still be here when camp rolls around.

Saprykin is a head case. He's been up and down from the AHL. Quit the Baby Flames in protest. Returned, got called up, showed flashes of brilliance along with inconsistency and promptly threatened to return to Russia if he doesn't get a good contract. Sutter isn't likely to take that kind of crap.

The two biggest question marks are whether Roman Turek can turn it around and show the type of consistency he did when he first arrived and play like he did in St. Louis. Also, Jordan Leopold needs to make huge strides if our powerplay and outlet passes are going to work.

With seven years out of the playoffs, I'm hopeful Sutter can turn the ship around but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we miss the post-season again.

You shouldn't have asked such a loaded question bbor...
Old 06-16-2003, 08:49 AM   #1075
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Well, of course the sad thing about this is that less people watched what is likely the best NHL playoff year ever in lieu of one of the worst NBA playoffs ever.

SI

If you think this was the best NHL playoff year ever you haven't been watching hockey for very long.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:29 AM   #1076
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars need to unload players.
Seriously, if they can find a dance partner for Turgeon then they would be happy. That won't happen though, because:

1. They can't afford to pay half of his salary for the next three years.
2. He has a NTC, so he would only want to go to a select few teams.
3. His production is down.

I know we are stuck with him. My only hope is that he wakes up, stays healthy, and learns to deal with the fact that he's not the most talented guy on the team.

We have to resign Hatcher. I have no idea if that is going to happen or not, because it seems like everyone wants him. If he goes to Detroit, I'm going to kill the first Red Wings fan I see.

As I've said before, I don't understand how Hicks can follow the plan that he put into place before the start of last season (to win a cup before 2004) and keep the salary at the same level as last year. Hatcher and Turco alone should cost about $10 million, and he had to have an idea that they would cost that much. If he wants to win a cup, he'd better not let Hatcher or Turco go. If he wants to "rebuild", then signing Guerin and Young seems like a strange move.

I have no idea what is going to happen...my gut tells me that Sydor or Matvichuk goes. I guess you can't keep a team together forever.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #1077
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
If you think this was the best NHL playoff year ever you haven't been watching hockey for very long.

I've been watching a good ten years, basically since ESPN got ahold of them. There have been better individual series but, as a whole, this was an amazing playoff year. The unfortunate thing is that the conference and stanley cup finals couldn't live up to the previous rounds.

The first round saw three 7-game series including epic comebacks by the Wild and Canucks, the shocking sweep of the Wings, and a Flyers-Maple Leafs series that just wouldn't die. Oh, and three game sevens all on the same night! If I remember correctly, the record for overtime periods in an NHL Playoffs had been demolished midway through the second round, thanks in no small part to the 5OT game between Dallas and Anaheim. The only series that didn't go 6 or 7 was Jersey-Tampa Bay and game 5 of that series went 3OTs before the Lightning finally succombed to Jersey.

The Conference Finals with the Ducks-Wild was ho-hum. If we had a Detroit or Avs or Stars here, this playoff year would have been complete. Sure it was nice to see the Cinderella story but two Cinderellas is just kindof boring- having to wait until the conference final to pick who gets the slipper is anticlimactic. On the other hand, the Ottawa-Jersey matchup was a clash of the Eastern Conference titans. The games close all the way including a couple of overtimes in a full seven game series only two were "blowouts". Then the finals were back to Cinderella v Power, unfortunately it was the NHL equivalent of Spurs-Nets as the two teams just sat back and trap-trap-trap. Still it went 7 but the four games that the Devils won were boring as they were all by 3 goals.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #1078
bbor
Pro Starter

HB:Is the rumour true that the Wings are having a hard time nailing down Yzermans contract?It just seemed like such a done deal considering the close relationship betweem Ilich and Yzerman,and yet we hear nothing of a deal being imminate.

Karim:Why is Conroy in the bad books?Was he not one of the better Flames last season?And is he not the 1 who helped Iginla to his break-out season?

Signing Regher to a 5 year deal is a fantastic stroke of genious by Sutter...i like that kid...to come back from a career threatening car crash where he broke both legs to play in the NHL....Fantastic..the kid has drive and determination.

Sach;No one wants Turgeon...EVERYONE wants Hatcher

Old 06-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #1079
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

EVERYONE wants Hatcher [/b]

I don't.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #1080
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

But many of your collegues do.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:19 PM   #1081
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
HB:Is the rumour true that the Wings are having a hard time nailing down Yzermans contract?It just seemed like such a done deal considering the close relationship betweem Ilich and Yzerman,and yet we hear nothing of a deal being imminate.

There was a lot of buzz about this last week. A lot of talk of the Wings trying to low-ball Yzerman because his production has slipped the last few years mainly because of health, but also because of age. There is an argument, and a decent one, that given his production Stevie should take a paycut. Maybe giving him a lower base salary with incentives for points, games played, etc. The problem with incentives is that you always feel like you're betting against the player. The other camp says "No." He's Steve Yzerman. He's given his all for this club for the last 20 years. You respect him by paying him what you have been (around $8 million).

The two-sides will come to an agreement. This much is known. Ilitch wont let Holland go so far as to really insult or piss off Yzerman. Ilitch has been very good to Stevie and vice versa. A few years back when Yzerman was up for the Hart Trophy (many years back) and lost, Ilitch still paid Yzerman the $300,000 Hart trophy bonus in his contract because he thought Yzerman deserved it.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #1082
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

sterlingice - for stories, yes this year was good. For hockey, not so much. Just my opinion.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 PM   #1083
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Why is Conroy in the bad books?Was he not one of the better Flames last season?And is he not the 1 who helped Iginla to his break-out season?

That was the prevailing thought but hindsight showed that McAmmond's contribution was severely underrated. That is why Button tried so hard to get him back. Deano's speed really opened up the ice for Iginla.

I've liked Conroy since he arrived but for whatever reason, since Sutter's arrival it seems he doesn't see Conroy as captain material. I expect the line to be reunited but since next year is the last year before UFA status, I definitely expect him to be traded.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:11 AM   #1084
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A nice little article on the Wings from a Nashville paper of all things. At least you can't call hometown bias on this one. I have been saying this stuff for years!

Ahhh... The 1989 NHL entry draft. Since 1997 I have thought that the Wings' draft class that year (see below) was, perhaps, the best class of any team in any year. Just look at the talent. It's pretty amazing. It led to three Stanley Cups. Had Konstantinov (who was arguably the best defensemen in the league in '97) not been injured...

Link:

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/predators/nhl/archives/03/06/34506998.shtml?Element_ID=34506998

-------------------------------------------

Red Wings have thrived in draft

By CHIP CIRILLO

Perhaps one of the biggest myths in hockey is that the Detroit Red Wings of recent seasons were built solely on high-priced free agents.

There's no denying the Red Wings have a huge payroll and, yes, they have signed big-name free agents including Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Dominik Hasek and Curtis Joseph.

But many of Detroit's top players, including Nicklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov, came up through the NHL entry draft. It's a big reason the Red Wings have been one of the most dominant franchises the past 12 years, including three Stanley Cup championships.

So Detroit won't just make a token appearance at this weekend's draft in the Gaylord Entertainment Center. Like every other team in the league, the Red Wings depend on the draft to provide the cornerstone of their future.

''There is a perception it's all about buying players, but people don't realize that the majority of players we have are players we drafted,'' said Jim Nill, assistant general manager for the Red Wings. ''It's just that money has allowed us to keep them.''

Nearly half of Detroit's roster (11 of 23 players) was selected in the draft.

Yzerman was the fourth overall pick in 1983, Lidstrom was the 53rd selection in 1989, and 21 picks later, the Red Wings took Fedorov.

Other teams, including the Predators, have marveled at Detroit's draft prowess. The 1989 draft was particularly strong.

''They got Mike Sillinger, who is a player; Bob Boughner, who is a player; Nicklas Lidstrom is a superstar; Fedorov is a superstar; Dallas Drake has been a very good player; Vladimir Konstantinov was a star basically before he was injured,'' said Ray Shero, assistant general manager for the Predators. ''I mean they got six NHL players out of one NHL draft. Holy cow. What a draft.''

Detroit traded Anders Eriksson, a first-round pick by the Red Wings in 1993, as part of deal for Chris Chelios in 1999.

Detroit found two left wings late in the draft in Tomas Holmstrom (257th pick in 1994) and Henrik Zetterberg (210th pick in 1999), a finalist this season for the Calder Trophy (rookie of the year).

The Red Wings also can thank the draft for Pavel Datsyuk, Darren McCarty, Jiri Fischer, Jesse Wallin, Mathieu Dandenault and Dmitri Bykov.

''Our goal is to try to get two players out of every draft,'' Nill said. ''It's been hard for us to do the last few years because we've had no first-round pick, but we've still managed to get the Datsyuks and Zetterbergs.''

Detroit was supposed to draft 27th in the first round Saturday, but the Red Wings gave the pick to Los Angeles as part of the compensation in a March trade for Mathieu Schneider.

That might turn out to be a good move for the Kings, who are the only team with three first-round picks.

''This is a very rich draft this year,'' Nill said. ''There are 40 or 50 kids who are going to be real solid players and it's an exciting draft in that point of view.

''It's one of the best drafts I've seen in a long time.''

Detroit likes to draft Europeans because NHL teams get their rights for life, unlike North Americans, who can re-enter the draft if they're not signed in two years. Investing in Europeans gives the players time to develop within the organization.

Tomas Kopecky, Igor Grigorenko, Jiri Hudler and Niklas Kronwall are four Detroit draft choices who have a good chance to make the Red Wings' roster this season.

''You look at any successful organization — the New Jersey Devils — they've won the Stanley Cup,'' Nill said. ''That's because of their great drafting and developing. We take pride in that. Colorado, that's how they've built their team. You look at any successful team and that's how they built their team.''

A few of the players the Red Wings have drafted:

Nicklas Lidstrom, 53rd overall pick, 1989 draft. First player since Bobby Orr to win three straight Norris Trophies for NHL's top defenseman.

Steve Yzerman, fourth pick, 1983 draft. Won Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP in 1998, 10-time all-star, 660 career goals, 1,010 assists, longtime captain.

Sergei Fedorov, 74th pick, 1989 draft. Won Hart Trophy as league MVP in 1994, six-time all-star, 400 career goals, 554 assists.

Henrik Zetterberg, 210th pick, 1999 draft. Finalist for Calder Trophy for NHL's top rookie this year. Had 22 goals, 22 assists this season.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #1085
bbor
Pro Starter

Gonna be a REAL strong draft...from what i hear after the first 7-10 players the next 35-40 are all interchangable.

Guess who has an @ssload of picks??

Booby Clarke.....::groan::

Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #1086
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Gonna be a REAL strong draft...from what i hear after the first 7-10 players the next 35-40 are all interchangable.

Great, maybe he can pick the next Peter Forsberg and trade him away (and to think I was happy as anything after arbitration gave the Flyers Lindros....)
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #1087
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I heard this as well. Should be very interesting to see how the class pans out in a few years.

Ahh, Bobby Clarke. There are few executives as hateable as this guy. He's so damned annoying. Can't wait to see what he does. Saturday should be pretty exciting, lots of wheeling and dealing from the sound of it.

Man... This makes little HB sad and yearn for EHM to finally come out. I want to collect 15 draft picks! I want to debate drafting a shifty, talented European forward or a massive, hard-hitting Canadian defensemen (stereotypes, I know). I want consider tradining my aging, injury-plagued, yet talented left winger, and asking him to waive his no trade clause. I want to be forced to move my tempermental goalie who is a cancer in the locker-room. So, does that make me want to be Bobby Clarke?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:36 PM   #1088
bbor
Pro Starter

HB Do you like to fire coaches that are cancer ridden too??

I'm dying for EHM also....what's that release date looking like?...anyone know?

Old 06-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #1089
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Last I heard, it was Christmas. I'm not privy to any real dates.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:48 PM   #1090
bbor
Pro Starter

Dammit...that is a LONGGGGGGGGGG time away...although not as long as it was the last time i asked...which was last X-mas

Anyone gonna watch the draft Saturday?...perhaps we can get a draft thread stickied..since some of us(IE:me) willbe at work?

Anyone know a good live draft site that willbe up?

Old 06-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #1091
Karim
College Starter

6 hours of draft coverage on local radio baby!! I'll definitely be watching the three hours on TSN and listening to the rest.

TSN or the NHL might have an online stream...
Old 06-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #1092
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dammit...that is a LONGGGGGGGGGG time away...although not as long as it was the last time i asked...which was last X-mas

Anyone gonna watch the draft Saturday?...perhaps we can get a draft thread stickied..since some of us(IE:me) willbe at work?

Anyone know a good live draft site that willbe up?

Just keep bumping the NHL draft thread up that I started last week.

BTW, I hear that the Flyers want to move up in the draft, so, look for Clarke to be doing some dealing.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #1093
Karim
College Starter

Interesting quote I found:

Quote:
Don Waddell laughed Friday morning as he recounted a recent interview with a highly touted NHL prospect.

"I said, 'Do you watch hockey games?' He said, 'I hate hockey. I like playing it, but I don't like going to games and I don't like watching it,' " said Waddell, the Atlanta Thrashers' general manager. "To me, that kind of throws up a red flag. This is a kid that's going to be drafted in the top 10."

~~~~~

I've been informed that the following links will provide on-line draft coverage:

http://970theburgh.com/main.html

http://pensnet.com/

http://www.997wtn.com/default.asp
Old 06-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #1094
Karim
College Starter

Mad Mike has an itchy trigger finger:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines
Old 06-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #1095
Karim
College Starter

Very good link - complete draft order with details:

http://www.stlouisblues.com/NHLDraft...selection.html
Old 06-17-2003, 02:43 PM   #1096
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
Mad Mike has an itchy trigger finger:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

Ya, isn't it about time that he traded DiPietro for a high draft pick so he could take a top goaltending prospect?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #1097
Karim
College Starter

Deconstructing the NHL and NBA finals and the potential impact on the game:

http://www.calgarypuck.com/Charlton_061703.htm
Old 06-17-2003, 03:19 PM   #1098
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Good article Karim, thanks for posting it.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #1099
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Wooohooo, I love this!!!

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/b...n/1568730.html

7. Minnesota Wild
Minnesota is the center of hockey in the United States. When the North Stars left for Dallas, you have to wonder why nearly every NHL team didn't packed up and left for Minnesota right away. Knowledgeable and passionate fans and a fantastic rink make it one of the NHL's elite markets. Wild games rated extremely well on ESPN. People there live the sport. When it comes to fans as natural resources, Minnesota was an untapped oil field. I believe there are five too many teams in the NHL and five markets where the NHL is wasting its time and money. The antithesis of Minnesota.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #1100
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Karim good article!!

I agree with reducing goalie pads. They are WAAY too big! That's a good start. I also think no-touch icing is the way too go.

The best part was the quote by King Clancy about the hooking and obstruction LOL