Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #1051
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
You have to be an absolute moron to ever give a show like this the time of day.

"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #1052
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, anything with Kadeem Hardison in it is a must see (if he's wearing the flip down glasses, that is)...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #1053
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
You have to be an absolute moron to ever give a show like this the time of day.

God I hate stupidity like this
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #1054
Joe
Pro Starter

chris needs to lose the stupid wallet chain
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #1055
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I only saw the second performances, but I thought that was Taylor's best performance in a long time and Elliott was really strong. Chris was pretty boring with a low, monotone vocal for 90% of the performance, and Kat was once again not very good.

I hate to say it, but I think Kat deserves to go. She hasn't been above average for several weeks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #1056
Joe
Pro Starter

HAHAHAHA

Important Information: Make sure the phone numbers are correct. If you opened DialIdol too early the numbers may not have been entered yet and thus would have been provided last week's numbers. If the numbers are wrong - close and reopen DialIdol... dialidol users may be voting for the wrong people on accident and skew the results
Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #1057
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can't believe no one did "You Were Always on My Mind" or "Love Me Tender."

I thought Elliott and Chris were far above the (small) field today. Elliott still looks uncomfortable, but he has a great recording voice. Chris just has "it."

Since Taylor has not been in the bottom three yet (I believe), I think he is probably still the favorite. I think he has been off for nearly a month now, but he must have a good voting audience.

It was unfortunate for Kat that this was Elvis night. She looked great during the first song and sounded alright. She overdid a familiar song on her second try and I think may have cost herself big time.

I think Kat and Elliott are the bottom two. No guess on who goes, but it should be Kat.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #1058
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Elvis mania swept the studios of American Idol tonight. And it carried everyone away. Visions of Fat Elvis swaying drunkenly in a comic parody of his early career were banished from sight. It was just pretty Elvis, with precious little mention of the dreaded "K" word.

The contestants were not only limited to singing original Elvis tunes this week, they had to stick to Elvis arrangements. No more Daughtry coming up with covers from some obscure rock-out-the-vote group. No more cute-as-a-button Kellie crooning "I'm sawree" as she mangled yet another big song.

Yes, you saw me write it. The "K" word. Karaoke. And, so we were left with Karaoke Night at the Velvet Palace. While the judges were swayed to excess by enthusiastic idols and a teeny-bopper audience that doesn't know any better, we had to suffer in silence at home. I think when Simon and Randy replay their proverbial tapes and watch the show themselves, they are in for a shock. Elvis night was a bad idea.

On to the Solecismic Ratings...

1. Chris Daughtry. The first song was ho-hum. Not too bad, just not quite the richness of the original. His second song ended badly, but the first 99% of it was the only thing tonight I'd really say was worthy of this competition. He deserves to be a finalist. Scores of 71 and 87. Season Average to Date: 80.

2. Katharine McPhee. Well, the McPheever cooled down a bit this week. She had moments in both songs when she was head and shoulders above the competition. And she had some of those stilted moments, many more than usual, when she screeched a bit and looked uncomfortable. As great as she looks, she's a self-conscious and labored dancer. That hurt her in the first performance. Her second performance started very strong, and could truly have been great, but she couldn't sustain it. Scores of 68 and 82. Season Average to Date: 81.

3. Elliott Yamin. He was off tonight. He was missing notes, which he doesn't usually do, and he was overusing the ol' vibratto. I just didn't like him today, particularly in his second song, which I thought was actually his worst of the season, as much as the judges raved about it. Scores of 67 and 61. Season Average to Date: 75.

4. Taylor Hicks. To define bad karaoke, just look at the song he opened the night with. Just a bad imitation of Elvis. He was much stronger in the second song, but still it's becoming quite clear his talent level just isn't that of the other three. Scores of 48 and 69. Season Average to Date: 64.

Who will be bottom two: Katharine and Elliott. Katharine is losing confidence, and that will hurt her with the voters. Elliott just isn't pretty enough, and he was annoying tonight.

Who will go: Katharine, sadly.

Who should go: Taylor.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-09-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #1059
Cuckoo
College Starter

First time in a while I was impressed with Elliott. He had a good night. I was less than impressed with Chris and Katharine, but I agree with the consensus so far. Katharine, sadly, is on her way out. And I can't really argue with it based on her performances tonight.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #1060
Schmidty
Coordinator

Man Jim. I just don't understand what you're listening to. I kind of think that your mind is already set and you won't let yourself be objective.

Elliot was amazing. Tayler was fun, Katherine was Meh, and Chris has ZERO personality. just saying. That's just my opinion, which is just as valid yours I guess, but DAMN.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #1061
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I also thought Elliot was great... especially in the 2nd song. I'd have him on the top of my rankings.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #1062
Fouts
College Starter

This was the first time in a long time I enjoyed Elliot. Hard to pick a loser tonight, but I would guess Kat. I think Chris is already the winner, unless something drastic happens.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #1063
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think this final 4 is clearly the strongest of any season.

I thought Elliott was the strongest tonight. Chris and Taylor were clearly behind him, and unfortunately Katharine was the weakest vocalist between the two songs. I don't want to see her go, but I think she will.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #1064
Daimyo
College Starter

I told my wife last week that Elliot pretty much has to be the best one from here out to stick around... anything less than that he's going home. He just doesn't seem to have the fan base to stay around otherwise. I think he was pretty clearly the best tonight, but I bet its still 50/50 for him to go home.

Katherine was horrible vocally (especially the second song) and she has been for a few weeks now. I still think she's a favorite to go to the finals, but she deserves to go home tonight. Taylor was bad on the first song and average on the second... Chris was good on the first, but boring on the second.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 PM   #1065
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

Well, most equal at any rate. I don't think any of these 4 could have stood toe to toe in Season 2 against Ruben, Clay, or Kim Locke.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #1066
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

I would definitely agree with that. I think that whoever goes home tomorrow would have won season 3 and been the runner up of season 1.

I would put them on equal footing with Clay and Reuben (I actually like Kimberly Locke, but never thought she was anywhere near a threat to keep Clay or Reuben from the final 2) and also Carrie. I would put Bo and Kelly in a class above them.

Since I just did a complete retrospective of American Idol history, I'm going to go drink some beer, eat a steak, have sex with my wife, and then hit some baseballs at the batting cage, so that I can feel masculine again.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #1067
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Taylor is just terrible every week frankly. He offers nothing we don't see at a local bar at about 11:45 p.m. I find his shtick tiresome.

I visit this thread once again to repeat my prior comment that was never more true than Elvis week.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #1068
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Man Jim. I just don't understand what you're listening to. I kind of think that your mind is already set and you won't let yourself be objective.

Elliot was amazing. Tayler was fun, Katherine was Meh, and Chris has ZERO personality. just saying. That's just my opinion, which is just as valid yours I guess, but DAMN.

This was where I was at.

Taylor's first song was reasonably well sung, and well performed. It was entertaining. His second was fantastic. I think he bounces back well after not performing last week.

Chris's first song was very good. His second was BAD...BAD...dare I say BAD. He spoke the words he didn't sing. In the end he actually sang the song for about 15 seconds, and that was enjoyable. Not a good night.

Katherine was simply off tonight. Not her best by a long shot. She had problems repeatedly through both songs.

Elliot was a monster tonight. Although I thought the first few bars of his first song were abysmal, he saved it throughout the rest of the song. His second performance was I think his best ever on the show.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #1069
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Have to disagree on a couple of points there. Have you actually heard Elvis' original "a little less conversation?" That's how you sing it -- by sounding as if you're speaking it to some extent.

As for Chris' personality. The guy is a rock singer, not a pop singer. His personality is spot on for that role. Plus, have you seen him throw emotion out there on the bigger up tempo rock songs? The guy owns the stage. He may not win the voting, but the guy is hands down the most polished performer and singer in the group. It's really no contest. C'mon, Taylor???? You're f#&$&# kidding me, right.

I must now leave as I am ashamed to be seen in this thread for this long.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #1070
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have to disagree on a couple of points there. Have you actually heard Elvis' original "a little less conversation?" That's how you sing it -- by sounding as if you're speaking it to some extent.

And why would you choose that song in a singing competition? it might have been good for a speaking competition, though.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #1071
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
And why would you choose that song in a singing competition? it might have been good for a speaking competition, though.

It is a popular song and has been done on AI at least once before.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #1072
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
It is a popular song and has been done on AI at least once before.

Jon Peter Lewis sang it to get into the top 12 in Season 3...

Why I know that.. I have no idea.

Edit - hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOLlMZY8A4&search=jon%20peter%20lewis

Man I love youtube.com
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-10-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #1073
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

Come on, you have had your mind set since the very beginning on Taylor - more than any others here on any contestant. Bad karaoke can be fun but that's something best left to a Tuesday Night at a local bar, not something you would want very many people to hear.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #1074
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Jon Peter Lewis sang it to get into the top 12 in Season 3...

Why I know that.. I have no idea.

Edit - hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOLlMZY8A4&search=jon%20peter%20lewis

Man I love youtube.com

I remember him, too, because I thought he looked like a hobbit.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #1075
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Katherine is in trouble I think, her performance was off. First song, it appeared she ran out of breath coz of the dancing. 2nd song was just kinda off to me and I was just waiting for the big note at the end .. which never came.

Chris did well I thought. I'm still not convinced Taylor is good but Elliot sang really well.

I think Kat is gone.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #1076
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Come on, you have had your mind set since the very beginning on Taylor - more than any others here on any contestant. Bad karaoke can be fun but that's something best left to a Tuesday Night at a local bar, not something you would want very many people to hear.

No I haven't.

I liked Taylor at the very beggining, but I've even said after that that he sucked at times. i just thought he was very good last night. I like all three of the guys left equally, and want to judge them from week to week. As I said in my last post, to me Taylor is the most fun and enthusiastic, Chris is the most marketable and "epic", and Elliot has the most controlled and polished voice (just wish he'd chill on the vibrato). Katherine is talented, but boring imo.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #1077
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

It's so funny to hear all of us act as if we're experts on music (like Vinatieri for Prez), and anyone who disagrees with us is tone deaf. I do the same thing, and try to justify it because I've been singing my whole life in bands, musicals (high school and college), worship team at church, solos etc., but really my opinion means nothing more than anyone else. Even the "true" experts like producers, critics, etc. differ wildly on what sounds good and what sounds bad.

The bottom line is that it's a lot of fun to argue over this stupid show, because of all the varying opinions. If everyone agreed on everything, there'd be no point in watching it.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-10-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #1078
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I've heard it. Elvis did NOT speak those lyrics, he sang them. Chris may as well have been reading them off of a teleprompter in monotone.

I'm a Chris fan. He has owned the stage many times, and he can sing. He needs some vocal training to prevent himself from damaging his voice when he screams. Well and to be honest a bit of formal training wouldn't hurt any of these folks. I like Chris, and wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if he won.

On the Taylor bit. I guess I'm just one of the unwashed masses, because I almost always agree with Simon, but I actually like Taylor.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 05-10-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #1079
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Screw you guys. Bucky would have had this shit wrapped up by now.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #1080
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I would put them on equal footing with Clay and Reuben (I actually like Kimberly Locke, but never thought she was anywhere near a threat to keep Clay or Reuben from the final 2) and also Carrie. I would put Bo and Kelly in a class above them.

I completely and entirely disagree. I think only Chris would have had a chance in S2 and would have finished 4th. Ruben, Clay, and even Locke could chew this group up like breakfast.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #1081
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I predicted Chris and Taylor in the finals. Check early threads.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #1082
sabotai
General Manager

And Chris is gone.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #1083
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

holy smokes - every single person in the auditorium was in shock.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 05-10-2006 at 08:32 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #1084
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Guess you forget your lyrics and continue on...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #1085
Joe
Pro Starter

good
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #1086
Ksyrup

Best thing that could have happened to the guy. Maybe. He still might be forced to go the Bo Bice route, given his popularity.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #1087
Rizon
Pro Starter

Idol is clearly racist against bald guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #1088
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Best thing that could have happened to the guy. Maybe. He still might be forced to go the Bo Bice route, given his popularity.

He probably will, unless he fights for some of his own songs on the album like Clarkson did. But there's no way he won't be signed by the idol company and release an album with them.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #1089
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
He probably will, unless he fights for some of his own songs on the album like Clarkson did. But there's no way he won't be signed by the idol company and release an album with them.

I get the impression he's not much of a musician/writer, just a singer. My guess is that helped to keep him off of Rockstar last year. But that's just a guess. At least with Bo, there was a previous band with material he wrote. Maybe I haven't really paid that much attention this year, but I don't recall anything of the sort to have surfaced with Chris.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #1090
Logan
Head Coach

He was easily my favorite, but I felt worse after seeing how shocked he looked. And I give him credit for actually admitting he was shocked he was gone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #1091
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would not have guessed that. I had thought the record company execs paved the way from the start but I guess they saw something in the past few weeks that changed their minds. Chris, from what I've read, had the presence on stage but I guess they were forcing him into something he's not. Now we still got the karaoke guy and they're happy with that???????
Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #1092
MJ4H
Coordinator

You do realize that the results are based on public voting right? (and boy do I hope I'm not going to hear a conspiracy theory in reply)
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #1093
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
You do realize that the results are based on public voting right? (and boy do I hope I'm not going to hear a conspiracy theory in reply)

How quaint. You must be young. Hint: Read the disclaimer.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #1094
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
He was easily my favorite, but I felt worse after seeing how shocked he looked. And I give him credit for actually admitting he was shocked he was gone.

Me too. The show is OVER for me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #1095
Joe
Pro Starter

any truth to the rumor that one of his numbers wasn't working for part of the west coast voting time?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #1096
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah... good. His constant singing of one song over and over again (though thankfully he did NOT do so yesterday) was driving me batty. Now he can go on tour with his alt-rock band and hope to be the next Creed.

Quite a shock though.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #1097
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Ah... good. His constant singing of one song over and over again (though thankfully he did NOT do so yesterday) was driving me batty. Now he can go on tour with his alt-rock band and hope to be the next Creed.

Quite a shock though.

Bingo.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #1098
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I thought it was horseshit. Chris has been the most consistent and entertaining performer virtually every week. I was shocked as well. I promptly declared to my wife that I'm boycotting this bullshit forever. Don't mean it, though.

RIP

Last edited by Crim : 05-10-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #1099
jbmagic
Pro Starter

This is total bullshit.

He was the best singer on the show.

This voting system is a total joke.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #1100
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

People get waaaay too tied up in this. I mean how many of these people will actually become 'stars'? We've had, what, 4 seasons and so far Kelly Clarkson has been the only bonafide star with Underwood, Gracin, Fantasia and a few others doing decently (I think Ruben and Clay aren't going to be heard from much in the future, FWIW).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-10-2006 at 11:40 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote