Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #1051
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
More impressions of Heavy Rain including developer comments..........

EE 2009: Heavy Rain Developer Session

This is a game I have been eager to play since I first starting reading about it.

It's a travesty that there will be an amazingly big glut of games I need to play basically coming out within 2-3 months of each other.

Off the top of my head there's God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and I know there are 3-4 more I am flat out forgetting about.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #1052
Kodos
Resident Alien

Left 4 Dead 2.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #1053
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Left 4 Dead 2.

Pre-ordered.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #1054
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Didn't get a chance to play it much last night, but did put an hour or so in. It seems very solid to me. It is extremely derivative of Diablo, moreso the original actually. There isn't a lot of fluff. You have a town and you have the dungeon and a very minimal amount of exposition.

If you ever heard of or played the game Fate a few years back this is by the same guys, and I know several people on the team were designers or otherwise involved with both Diablo games.

Only 3 classes which I a bit disappointing but it looks like there is a pretty wide variety of possible builds so hopefully that isn't an issue.

If you liked Diablo or Titan Quest definitely give it a try. I think I will end up going back to this one a lot to kill an hour or two here and there. Seems like a great deal for 20 bucks.

Should get to put in more time tonight with it.

This game is a lot of fun. It feels like what the developers always wanted Diablo to turn into. And once you complete the 20-30 hour main quest, you get a random dungeon dive game.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #1055
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
This is a game I have been eager to play since I first starting reading about it.

It's a travesty that there will be an amazingly big glut of games I need to play basically coming out within 2-3 months of each other.

Off the top of my head there's God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and I know there are 3-4 more I am flat out forgetting about.

Golly gee, that's a good list. Definitely buying Red Dead, maybe the other two are just rentals depending on how much replay value they look to have (although Heavy Rain seems like you could play it multiple ways)
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #1056
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I love this time of yer for gaming - so many games coming out in the next three months that look really good. Just don't know how I'm going to find time with DAo in my PS3!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #1057
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
At first? It took me a long while to finally get past that dude.

This is becoming a game killer for me. I don't mind it gettng a little more difficult as you go but this is seemingly insane. I certainly hope this is the battle that you are referring to or I wil be doomed if this isn't it.

Tell me you're talking about the guy at the end of the train. I have hit him with multiple grenades, emptied clip after clip on him an dodged him several times but still can't get past him. Is there something obvious that I am missing?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #1058
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This is becoming a game killer for me. I don't mind it gettng a little more difficult as you go but this is seemingly insane. I certainly hope this is the battle that you are referring to or I wil be doomed if this isn't it.

Tell me you're talking about the guy at the end of the train. I have hit him with multiple grenades, emptied clip after clip on him an dodged him several times but still can't get past him. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

You have to keep working on him. When he lobs grenades, I would run to the outside of the train. When he charges at you, you have to go to the other end of the train and work on him some more.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #1059
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You have to keep working on him. When he lobs grenades, I would run to the outside of the train. When he charges at you, you have to go to the other end of the train and work on him some more.

Have been trying that approach but no luck yet. Took a break from it for a while to clear my head and try again. Was probably getting too frustrated and that was making it worse. The closest I came (I think) I ended up getting stuck on the edge of a wall and killed with a grenade.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #1060
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Is it Tuesday yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429l13dS6kQ
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #1061
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Detail is Walmart will sell the 360 Arcade for $200 with a free $100 GC.

11/7 - 11/13 I believe

Use that card to get a 360 hard drive kit for $89 and have a 60 GB Xbox 360, Live headset and three months of XBL Gold for $189.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #1062
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Holy chit man... - I need a weeks worth of nothing but video games next week!!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #1063
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Holy chit man... - I need a weeks worth of nothing but video games next week!!!!

Amen, I'm sick next week!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #1064
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have been trying that approach but no luck yet. Took a break from it for a while to clear my head and try again. Was probably getting too frustrated and that was making it worse. The closest I came (I think) I ended up getting stuck on the edge of a wall and killed with a grenade.

Sadly, that's not the guy I'm talking to. He's nothing compared to the end. If I remember correctly, I kept punching him and eventually he dropped his guns and the fight becamse even. (I might be thinking of the wrong place in the game)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #1065
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Are you guys talking about Uncharted 2, the big guy on the train?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #1066
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Holy shit.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #1067
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Holy shit.

+1

I mean, I had heard this was coming out, and I really enjoyed the first one.

But Holy Shit indeed.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #1068
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Sadly, that's not the guy I'm talking to. He's nothing compared to the end. If I remember correctly, I kept punching him and eventually he dropped his guns and the fight becamse even. (I might be thinking of the wrong place in the game)

I got past that guy, and figure I am screwed when I get to the final boss.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #1069
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Detail is Walmart will sell the 360 Arcade for $200 with a free $100 GC.

11/7 - 11/13 I believe

Use that card to get a 360 hard drive kit for $89 and have a 60 GB Xbox 360, Live headset and three months of XBL Gold for $189.
Or, not saying you should do this and you have to find the right Customer Service person, IE overnights CSS, but you could purchase the 360 for 199, get the gift card.

Return the 360 without receipt, get gift card and then purchase a Elite with your two giftcards. Elite for 199.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #1070
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not a video game at all and I got past it. Took me more than an hour and did it at 3 am in the morning but I pulled it off.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #1071
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't find the final boss battle to be extraordinarily difficult - I actually got through the first time without dying and having to re-start, unlike many other levels in the game. Took a while (it takes a lot to kill him), but I was able to get it first time out.

Not saying it's easy, but there are workable strategies to win that level.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #1072
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Or, not saying you should do this and you have to find the right Customer Service person, IE overnights CSS, but you could purchase the 360 for 199, get the gift card.

Return the 360 without receipt, get gift card and then purchase a Elite with your two giftcards. Elite for 199.

If you want to be a total douche.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #1073
PineTar
High School JV

The PC community is not happy with Infinity Ward...

Online Q&A with Infinity Ward on MW2 Confirms PC Users' Worst Fears - Evil Avatar
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #1074
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So after reading some comments on here about Torchlight I tried the demo out-- what a fun game! I love that the graphics are low-end, you can still make a really nice looking game without needing a super-computer to play it nowadays. I was even playing the demo on my Mac via VMWare Fusion and it plays no problem.

In that regard, I'd like to get the Mac version but it sounds like I'll have to wait until January for it... not sure I can hold out that long. Hopefully Modern Warfare 2 will be enough of a distraction that January arrives quickly...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 11-05-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #1075
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar View Post

Meh. I'm still playing it.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-05-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #1076
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Holy shit.

I'm seriously thinking about calling to see if they have a midnight release.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #1077
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about calling to see if they have a midnight release.

Almost every Gamestop here is, plus I know Best Buy is even doing it which is rare, or at the one around here it is anyway, so I bet it's safe to assume a store by you will be.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #1078
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

I'm fairly certain there is a barcode on each console sold, and therefore they'd be able to scan that. And I'd guess it would link directly to your receipt. Otherwise if your Xbox broke, you could just go buy another one and do the switcheroo if you RROD'd.

Last edited by stevew : 11-06-2009 at 12:13 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #1079
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar View Post

The 20 guys who buy it on PC probably are pretty pissed it will only support 9v9 at the most. Two guys get left going 1 on 1.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #1080
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New trailer for Buzz Quiz world is out.

Buzz Quiz World 11/10 « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net

If you're new to the PS3 and didn't play this game on the PS2, it's a great party game. In addition, Buzz Quiz TV is selling with buzzers included for $20-30 in most retailers now. You can buy the old game for $20 and the new game for $40. $60 for both games with buzzers is a nice price.

I also purchased the 'Junior' Buzz games on PSN. They're $5 each. My 2 1/2 year old loves to play those games. Just basic color recognition games for the most part.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #1081
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The 20 guys who buy it on PC probably are pretty pissed it will only support 9v9 at the most. Two guys get left going 1 on 1.

Heh, to be fair though it was a pretty huge seller on PC as well. I know I read it did well over a million sales there. Harder to gauge exactly because of download services but it was definitely a noticeable chunk of money for them.

That said, people up in arms on stuff like this doesn't mean much. I don't see people boycotting it. They'll buy it if their fans, it is before release now and they're just gnashing teeth.

In other Call of Duty PC woes I read that the D2D and Impulse at least are refusing to carry the game because it has a forced Steamworks integration. I can understand where they're coming from, but not sure how wise this decision is. People are going to buy it and they're just ensuring it is from Steam.

I guess they had to standup at some point.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #1082
Radii
Head Coach

BOOM! Demon's Souls has been beaten! I thought it was gonna take about a week longer than it did heh. A lot of the levels I thought would take hours were pretty much just the end boss for that world.

Basically I think the first level is just inappropriately hard compared to the rest of the game. Its very possible that I died more getting to the first boss when the game just starts than I did in every other level combined. That's not to say that the rest of the game is easy, but I only once or twice felt frustrated after I beat the initial level that has to be beaten to get to the Nexus.

The wiki is invaluable. I don't think I ever would have beaten it without assistance from the wiki, but I tried not to use spoilers too often, only after a couple tries at a boss that was just absurdly difficult,or if I died at the same place repeatedly.

I'll spoiler one thing if anyone is still playing or planning on trying it again. The level progression is just not straightforward. Beating world 1, then 2, then 3, etc, is not how it goes. There are lots and lots of open ended options, but the most efficient way to attack the world I believe to be as follows:

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #1083
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Almost every Gamestop here is, plus I know Best Buy is even doing it which is rare, or at the one around here it is anyway, so I bet it's safe to assume a store by you will be.

I need to take off Wednesday now.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #1084
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I need to take off Wednesday now.

If you worked for the government, you'd have Wednesday off.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #1085
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm taking one of my last four vacation days tomorrow and the wife is baby sitting outside the house tomorrow for most of the day. Best Buy is having a midnight sale tonight - I am so there. Can't wait for a CoD and Dragon Age marathon tomorrow

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #1086
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

I've purchased all my CODs on the PC - I can't stand the PS3/360 controller for games like this. Give me my mouse and keyboard any day.

FWIW - there are a lot of great servers with a great bunch of guys on the PC as well that I still play on.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #1087
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I'm taking one of my last four vacation days tomorrow and the wife is baby sitting outside the house tomorrow for most of the day. Best Buy is having a midnight sale tonight - I am so there. Can't wait for a CoD and Dragon Age marathon tomorrow

Will you be able to buy the game at midnight at Best Buy or is it pre-orders only?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #1088
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Will you be able to buy the game at midnight at Best Buy or is it pre-orders only?

I called BB last week and they said anyone will be able to buy it - that I wont need to pre-order it.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #1089
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Massive layoffs being reported over at EA.

Rumor: EA Guts Workforce After Big Playfish Buyout - Disturbance in the workforce - Kotaku

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-09-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #1090
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

10 hours and I will be buying COD: Modern Warfare 2 somewhere near me. Walmart probably. Considered the Prestige edition, but I want real night vision goggles so I will pass.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #1091
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I've purchased all my CODs on the PC - I can't stand the PS3/360 controller for games like this. Give me my mouse and keyboard any day.

FWIW - there are a lot of great servers with a great bunch of guys on the PC as well that I still play on.

I know there are plenty of guys who play on the PC, it was just a joke coming from personal tastes. I have never enjoyed trying to play this type of game with mouse and keyboard, going back a long time. I know I haven't tried in over a decade.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1092
Kodos
Resident Alien

I can't imagine playing any video game with the mouse and keyboard.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #1093
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Really? There are some games I can't imagine playing without a mouse and keyboard (say, Gears of War) and others I can't imagine playing with one (any of the Civ games or any traditional RTS, I can't see how a controller could be anywhere near as efficient or effective as a mouse and keybord in either of those type of games). And others I am fine with either. There's really no consistency in my approach to either. Where I have a preference, it's generally based on which way I've played it more.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #1094
sabotai
General Manager

I probably wouldn't even play FPS or 3rd PS games if it wasn't with a mouse and keyboard. I tried on the 360 (Gears of War) and no matter much I liked the game, after about 10 minutes, I start getting motion sickness. That doesn't happen with mouse and keyboard since I can use the mouse to control where I'm looking. Much more of a natural motion to it. Turning with a gamepad always takes forever where with the mouse it's just a small amount of movement and you turn 180 (I always turn mouse sensitivity up all the way).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #1095
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Really? There are some games I can't imagine playing without a mouse and keyboard (say, Gears of War) and others I can't imagine playing with one (any of the Civ games or any traditional RTS, I can't see how a controller could be anywhere near as efficient or effective as a mouse and keybord in either of those type of games). And others I am fine with either. There's really no consistency in my approach to either. Where I have a preference, it's generally based on which way I've played it more.

I don't really play Civ or RTS games. Basically, for anything with live action, I prefer the Dual Shock.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1096
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't know if this comment is to be funny, or if you haven't played anything with a mouse/keyboard? I just thought most people would prefer a mouse/keyboard given the option. I can't play FPS games at all on console, the control lost in my opinion is brutal.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #1097
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't really play Civ or RTS games. Basically, for anything with live action, I prefer the Dual Shock.

But could you imagine playing a Civ or RTS game with a mouse and keyboard?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #1098
samifan24
Pro Starter

It surprises me a little bit that people are so excited about Modern Warfare 2. Playing online is fun and all but the single player is unbelievably short based on early reviews. I guess most people care more about playing online than I do.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #1099
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I will play online for much longer than 6 to 8 hours.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #1100
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It surprises me a little bit that people are so excited about Modern Warfare 2. Playing online is fun and all but the single player is unbelievably short based on early reviews. I guess most people care more about playing online than I do.

I have a group of 5 friends who play every CoD on Xbox Live every Wed. night. They want it for the MP more than anything else.