Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #1051
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Whatever it takes.

Hey, that's not a bad idea for a Playoff Motto! Oh wait, we already used it. In 02-03.

I thought their playoff motto was "All we have to do is beat the Oilers, then we can play golf" last year
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #1052
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Honour and decency in our game? This from a man that took a two handed swing at Kharlamov's ankle in game 6 of the summit series...Thanks for setting the bar so high Bobby.
Clarke's a dink. He's right about the Senators game, but he's still a dink.

Hey, seems like the Flyers' goaltending situation is imploding, right on schedule.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #1053
Karim
College Starter

Clarke's definitely a guy you'd want on your team. Right or wrong, was/is anyone in Canada really upset that he took out Kharlamov?

Oh to dream about a Flames/Oilers playoff matchup... I wonder if it would even be televised down south.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #1054
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Oh to dream about a Flames/Oilers playoff matchup... I wonder if it would even be televised down south.

Televised? yes.
Watched? no way.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:59 PM   #1055
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Hey, seems like the Flyers' goaltending situation is imploding, right on schedule.

Isnt it about time for your goalie to try to pay off a cop for having pot in his car? Or give up 7 goals in a game 7? I havent been reading lately but has your coach started bitching about the bad refs yet?

By the way, you are right about the goalies. New year...same problem.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #1056
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

to H_B

Argh. I didn't realize that the fantasy hockey finals lasted two weeks.

And, of course, I have Turco suspended right up through the end.

And Liles injured but I haven't been able to get much production out of that fourth defenseman spot anyways

But, I'm still gonna whoop you good, ya winged tire loving freak

SI (and this post has officially sealed my poor teams losing fate)

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #1057
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Isnt it about time for your goalie to try to pay off a cop for having pot in his car? Or give up 7 goals in a game 7? I havent been reading lately but has your coach started bitching about the bad refs yet?
Would someone please ring a slapshot off bsak's jaw? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #1058
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...What's the feeling in Ottawa with a possible Leafs/Sens 1st round match up?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #1059
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
ML...What's the feeling in Ottawa with a possible Leafs/Sens 1st round match up?

well, I don't know about the people in Ottawa...but I'd sure love to see it.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #1060
Johnny93g
College Starter

Screw Ottawa, they dont deserve to be on the same ice as the Leafs......they should just stay home and burn some Leaf jerseys......oh wait......they dont want Leaf jerseys in Ottawa anymore.....friggin babies...wah wah
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #1061
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Mixed.

If you know the Senators, you know that their entire team identity is based on the Leafs. You go to a Sens/Habs game, and the guy on the PA keeps telling the crowd that the Leafs suck. You can buy Leafs gear at the gift shops. The scoreboard shows the Leafs score at every break. The papers here (glorified extensions of the Sens PR department) treat the rivalry like it's the second coming of Sox/Yanks. It's really kind of bizarre. So in that sense, people here are pumped about the matchup.

On the other hand, there's an obvious problem with the formula. Every time they play an important game, the Leafs win. For some reason, Toronto has had Ottawa's number. So fans are nervous, because as much as they want to finally beat the Leafs, the thought of losing to them again would put about half the city on suicide watch.

From purely a hockey standpoint, it could be a good matchup. Realistically the Sens have far more talent, and should be able to skate the Leafs out of the rink. But you could have said that any of the past four years too, and it just never seems to happen. Basically it comes down to goaltending. Lalime has been shaky but should settle down. If Belfour stands on his head, the Leafs win a close series. If he doesn't, the Sens win in four or five.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:12 AM   #1062
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Belfour will prevail.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #1063
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm worried just by the law of averages.

You can only poke a sleeping bear so many times before it eats your ass.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:25 PM   #1064
Johnny93g
College Starter

Maple Leafs, I wouldn't say Ottawa has far more talent then Toronto......There a very good team, but so is Toronto......If anything, I'd say Toronto has a little more talent then Ottawa, if you look at the roster top to bottom.....Sure, we dont have a Chara, but they don't have a Leetch, we dont have a Alfferdson type player, but they have noone even close to Mogilny, and Belfour is 10 times the goalie Lalime is.....but the bottom line in any series....is heart, grit, determination....and the leafs have more of that then Ottawa by a lot....
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #1065
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Huge game for the Oilers and Blues tonight... The post-season hangs in the balance. Edmonton is red hot, but hasn't won in St. Louis since forever. St. Louis has put together a nice string of victories (granted 2 were against Chicago)... The game should definitely have a play-off type atmosphere. Meanwhile, Nashville plays Chicago in another big game for the Preds. Exciting times for the three teams vying for two spots.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #1066
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
I'm hearing this morning that NJ is going to add a piece to it's puzzle(I'm not sure if he's playoff eligible or not though), Zach Parise is going to go pro. Devil fans you are going to like this kid.

yeah, he signed a 3 yr, $3 mil contract....i hope he can play in the playoffs...why couldnt he?

especially since grant marshall just went down for a month, i guess parise can slide right in.

IF we get rafalski, and less likely stevens back, we just may have a shot to start surprising people. but until the D comes back together, im wary...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #1067
bbor
Pro Starter

Just as a side note..

I have to say..watching Brian Leetch play has been pure joy.This guy is fantastic...37 years oldor not.He is the best defenman we have seen in Toronto since i can rememer watching Leaf games.I always new he was good in New York...but to see him play every day you get a new appreciation for him.He has a TON of vision and savy.He makes passes that some of his teamates don't even expect because he is thinking so far in advance.And when he QB's the power play...well..lemme tell ya...it's lights out.I hope he sticks around for another year because i would love to watch him for a full season.And if the Leafs win the cup it will be mainly because they picked up Leetch...Bravo John Ferguson.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #1068
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I wouldn't say Ottawa has far more talent then Toronto......There a very good team, but so is Toronto......If anything, I'd say Toronto has a little more talent then Ottawa, if you look at the roster top to bottom.....Sure, we dont have a Chara, but they don't have a Leetch, we dont have a Alfferdson type player, but they have noone even close to Mogilny...
I'm not sure about that. Alfie and Mats are a wash. Mogilny is great, but not better than Hossa. Havlat, as cheap and gutless as he is, is breathtaking when he feels like it. Bondra is looking like he's washed up. But the Sens have wave after wave of lesser known guys, like Vermette and Langfield and even Fisher who can all do some amazing things. It's not just the big names, it's line after line of skill.

Quote:
...and Belfour is 10 times the goalie Lalime is.....
True. But I think the Leafs advantage in net is cancelled out by the Sens advantage in overall team defence. Lalime is very average, but the Senators protect him from being exposed by playing a near-perfect system.

Quote:
but the bottom line in any series....is heart, grit, determination....and the leafs have more of that then Ottawa by a lot....
Bingo. And that's why, despite everything I said above, people in Ottawa are still terrified of another Leafs series.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #1069
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
And if the Leafs win the cup it will be mainly because they picked up Leetch...Bravo John Ferguson.

How is he compared to Gonchar? The story at the time was that Toronto "settled" for Leetch because Boston beat them to the real player everyone wanted.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #1070
henry296
College Starter

Two big games this week... Pittsburgh vs. Washington.

For years the Pens have owned the Caps in the playoffs, but now the battle is for the best chance in the Lottery. The team that finishes last place overall has a 48% of the #1 pick and Alexander Ovechkin. Right now the Pens are a point worse than the Caps. If either team sweeps, then the most likely will finish 29th.

Okay... now back to the playoff talk.

Todd
Old 03-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #1071
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
How is he compared to Gonchar? The story at the time was that Toronto "settled" for Leetch because Boston beat them to the real player everyone wanted.

I dunno....i havent seen Gonchar play over a period of time like i have Leetch.

I do know that Leetch will be a Hall of famer.....but will Gonchar?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:36 PM   #1072
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have only seen Gonchar play a couple of games, but I would have described him similarly - really fun to watch, and a huge difference when he's on the ice.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #1073
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Huge game for the Oilers and Blues tonight... The post-season hangs in the balance. Edmonton is red hot, but hasn't won in St. Louis since forever. St. Louis has put together a nice string of victories (granted 2 were against Chicago)... The game should definitely have a play-off type atmosphere. Meanwhile, Nashville plays Chicago in another big game for the Preds. Exciting times for the three teams vying for two spots.

Stop trying to jinx my team
Old 03-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #1074
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Poor Edmonton...and done by Weight, no less. Bastard.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #1075
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, it's looking like after 540+ NHL games, Scott Walker is going to get his first taste of the playoffs. Which makes me wonder who will have the longest career drought after this year.

My first thought was Patrick Stefan (340+), but looks like teammate Marc Savard has him beat with 420+. Anyone know if it is, in fact, Savard?

as a hockey fan, I'm sorry to see Edmonton blow it - I would much rather see them instead of St Louis in the playoffs. although, as an Avs fan, I'd MUCH rather play the Blues in round 1.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:04 AM   #1076
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
as a hockey fan, I'm sorry to see Edmonton blow it - I would much rather see them instead of St Louis in the playoffs. although, as an Avs fan, I'd MUCH rather play the Blues in round 1.

As a Blues fan, this is the first time in awhile we've been on the hook. I'll take whoever we play, maybe a crappy Blues team can win a series against the Avs or Redwings.

Nah.....

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:16 AM   #1077
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 PM   #1078
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ladies and gentlemen, that beeping sound you hear is the sound of the Dallas Stars backing into the playoffs like a bunch of limp noodles. Playing like that will get you an early golf game. Bunch of mincy flowergirls...
Old 03-31-2004, 09:31 PM   #1079
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Note from Ottawa:

Remember all that talk about Martin Prusek being the best backup goalie in the NHL?

How he could start for most teams?

How if Patrick Lalime kept choking on it, the Sens would be just fine because Prusek was the next Hasek?

Um... never mind.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:32 PM   #1080
JeeberD
General Manager

GO OILERS!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:04 PM   #1081
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 AM   #1082
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

As a Blue Jackets fan, I really didn't realize my hatred of the Red Wings until tonight. I went to the game and witnessed Maltby's cheap shot on Klesla, checking him into the boards when the door was open. Then, after that, a couple classless Wings fans decided to throw a couple of octopi on the ice toward the end of the game. It sucks having to sit around so many Detroit fans, either because its the closest away game from Detroit or because a lot of Ohio hockey fans were Wings fans before the Jackets were even thought of. I can't wait til we actually have a decent team here in a couple of years and then we can compete with the Detroits.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:12 AM   #1083
JeeberD
General Manager

Welcome to the United Red Wings Haters of America. It's a very prestigious club...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:41 AM   #1084
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
As a Blue Jackets fan, I really didn't realize my hatred of the Red Wings until tonight. I went to the game and witnessed Maltby's cheap shot on Klesla, checking him into the boards when the door was open.

I didn't go to the game, but I watched it on tv. I would have to agree with the announcers that it didn't appear that Maltby saw that the door was open much less intentionally slammed him into the doorway to cause harm. The replay even showed what looked like another Red Wing (can't remember who it was...possibly Lang) telling Maltby what happened while they were sitting on the bench.

I figured that the check (notice I didn't say hit) would be looked upon as dirty.

Look who did it...Kirk Maltby. This guy isn't mentioned with the goons of the league. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Though, I am a Wing fan.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:26 AM   #1085
Karim
College Starter

It's about time.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:41 AM   #1086
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
GO OILERS!!!

I went up to Nashville on Tuesday. I was hoping to see the Blackhawks help the Oilers out, but it wasn't meant to be. The Oilers failed to defeat the Blues as well. Great win last night. Now, hopefully the Blackhawks will help out.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:58 AM   #1087
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22
As a Blue Jackets fan, I really didn't realize my hatred of the Red Wings until tonight. I went to the game and witnessed Maltby's cheap shot on Klesla, checking him into the boards when the door was open. Then, after that, a couple classless Wings fans decided to throw a couple of octopi on the ice toward the end of the game. It sucks having to sit around so many Detroit fans, either because its the closest away game from Detroit or because a lot of Ohio hockey fans were Wings fans before the Jackets were even thought of. I can't wait til we actually have a decent team here in a couple of years and then we can compete with the Detroits.

I agree with Hurst. I watched it and did not look intentional at all. Just a bad break really. Maltby can be an annoying f*cker, but he's not really the type to go out and hurt someone like that. Just a fluck occurrence.

As for the octopi, they carried those slimy, smelly things into the arena. They had to get rid of them.

Stop the hate. It leads to anger or to fear or to... fuck it, whatever it leads to the that leads you to the Darkside. Don't go done that path like so many other misguided fools. Embrace good. Embrace the Wings!!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:59 AM   #1088
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Welcome to the United Red Wings Haters of America. It's a very prestigious club...

As for you and your stupid United Stupid People of America club... PISS OFF!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #1089
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Now, hopefully the Blackhawks will help out.

Hmm... I hope so too, but I wouldn't count on it. They are a very bad hockey team.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:11 AM   #1090
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Hmm... I hope so too, but I wouldn't count on it. They are a very bad hockey team.

The biggest problem I have seen is that brutal set of blueliners. Those guys seem to be screwing up constantly. They are playing worse than they were earlier in the season, and much worse than I thought they were capable of.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:29 AM   #1091
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's about time.

You've been waiting a long time for Avril to finally play Calgary, eh?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #1092
Karim
College Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
You've been waiting a long time for Avril to finally play Calgary, eh?

Yeah, that's it...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:36 AM   #1093
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

When you have a team that is facing elimination, you take them out. End of story. This loss will come back to haunt the Stars.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:55 AM   #1094
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if the season ended today, it's the Stars and Avs in round 1. hard to really complain about that matchup as a hockey fan.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #1095
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Look who did it...Kirk Maltby. This guy isn't mentioned with the goons of the league.
Goons? No. Cheap players? Sometimes, yes.

Did anyone see Brett Hull on the Hot Stove segment on Hockey Night this weekend? Part of the conversation went something like this.

Hull: The problem isn't the tough guys. It's this new breed of player, the 'agitator', who cheap shots you and then runs away. I hate those guys.
Ron MacLean: What about Kirk Maltby?
Hull: Um.... (changes subject)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #1096
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
When you have a team that is facing elimination, you take them out. End of story. This loss will come back to haunt the Stars.

Come on Sach...that's not very friendly of you. And after all those years we let you guys win in the first round too.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #1097
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
if the season ended today, it's the Stars and Avs in round 1. hard to really complain about that matchup as a hockey fan.

I wouldn't complain. I probably would not watch it either.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #1098
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

Does'nt seem right not having a Stars/oiler 1st round match-up

They were usually the most entertaining serie of them all...good fast no trap hockey.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #1099
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Goons? No. Cheap players? Sometimes, yes.

Did anyone see Brett Hull on the Hot Stove segment on Hockey Night this weekend? Part of the conversation went something like this.

Hull: The problem isn't the tough guys. It's this new breed of player, the 'agitator', who cheap shots you and then runs away. I hate those guys.
Ron MacLean: What about Kirk Maltby?
Hull: Um.... (changes subject)

Brett's comments have nothing to do with the fact that the check Kirk put on Klesla was a misfortunate happening, not a cheap shot.

Brett's a great player but I wouldn't consider his opinion as gospel. I have watched Brett play for years (as have others) and from what I have seen, he could have been talking about himself at a young age.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #1100
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Brett's comments have nothing to do with the fact that the check Kirk put on Klesla was a misfortunate happening, not a cheap shot.
True. In fact is was before the hit, so no bearing at all. I just thought it was funny to see Hull have to backtrack.

Of all the players in the NHL, Hull is #2 as far as being in love with the sound of his own voice. Three guesses who #1 is...