Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #1051
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Shaq!?!? are you kidding?? his FT-difficulties preclude that ever being seriously discussed. plus, he has zero range. he's absolutely zero threat if he's not in dunking-distance of the basket.

Duncan isn't GREAT from the FT-line, but at least he's decent. Shaq is atrocious.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-13-2008 at 02:08 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #1052
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
and Bug - to be clear i'm not using accomplishments like that to say who i think is best. i was talking about how the other night (game 3 maybe?) they were doing the "kobe-mj" comparison and flashing those graphics on the screen, and i just found it very ironic, because in no way do those statistical accomplishments support the argument. if you want to make the argument, you can make the argument, but don't use statistics that don't back it up to try to support it

Eh, this argument will never be solved. Kobe's stats the past couple of years, and certainly this year, were comparable to Jordan's stats. Kobe is a better shooter then Jordan was, but until Kobe starts taking better shots, he'll never shoot a high percentage from the field and from the distance. That's one of the main differences between the two; shot selection. Kobe takes (and sometimes makes) shots that Jordan would never have attempted because they were low percentage shots and didn't go in the flow of the offense. Once Jordan saw his game not translate well into titles, he remade himself over and became who he is now. I'll never buy the assist/rebound numbers because Kobe and Jordan don't play the position the same way and have different skill sets.

But to answer your question, I dont endorse the NBA making these assumptions. Kobe is a first ballot HOF right now and I'm afraid that he'll have "The Next MJ" on his plaque
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #1053
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Kobe can't hold Jordan's jock.

And I would say Tim Duncan is the best player of the post-Jordan era.

Duncan certainly was the most consistent player.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #1054
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I think Kobe is on his way to being the best player of the post Jordan era. Seriously. I don't particularly care for him, but I think he is the most consistently unstoppable player on the floor in any game. He's having a rough finals so far, but I think he could rebound.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #1055
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Shaq!?!? are you kidding?? his FT-difficulties preclude that ever being seriously discussed. plus, he has zero range. he's absolutely zero threat if he's not in dunking-distance of the basket.

Duncan isn't GREAT from the FT-line, but at least he's decent. Shaq is atrocious.

Shaq was a dominate player and has taken every team he has been on to the finals. If Shaq should make FT his numbers would be down right scary and would be similar to Wilt. While Duncan is consistent I don't consider him a better player then Shaq or Kobe. In a couple years players like LeBron, Chris Paul, Derron Williams and Dwight Howard might be put in this discussion.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #1056
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's pretty unusual for Boston to ever have the neutral fans on their side but I think that's happened for the most part in this series.

Kobe is most unlikeable sports figure west of Bill Bellichick.

I think the 2nd part of that is true, but I think the Celtics are the exception to the rule about most neutral fans rooting against Boston teams. Bird and company were so much fun to watch, that I think people in my generation are likely to root for the Celtics as long as they aren't fans of the other team. It doesn't hurt that they have had a down period and haven't always been successful this last decade.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-13-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #1057
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Kobe can't hold Jordan's jock.

And I would say Tim Duncan is the best player of the post-Jordan era.

Yes and yes.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #1058
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think the 2nd part of that is true, but I think the Celtics are the exception to the rule about most neutral fans rooting against Boston teams. Bird and company were so much fun to watch, that I think people in my generation are likely to root for the Celtics as long as they don't like the other team. It doesn't hurt that they have a down period and haven't always been successful this last decade.

I think it is even simpler than that. By most accounts, the Celtics were the underdogs going into this series against with the Lakers. I really don't think dislike for Kobe was even factor going into the series this series. He is definitely not the most unlikeable sports figure out west. Hell he is not the most unlikeable guy in the Western Conference. Bruce Bowen anyone?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #1059
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think it is even simpler than that. By most accounts, the Celtics were the underdogs going into this series against with the Lakers. I really don't think dislike for Kobe was even factor going into the series this series. He is definitely not the most unlikeable sports figure out west. Hell he is not the most unlikeable guy in the Western Conference. Bruce Bowen anyone?

You ever read any stories about Bruce's upbringing and how he conducts himself off the court? Sure, he is a tough player who makes questionable plays on the court, but off the court, he seems like a great guy who has had a difficult upbringing. I don't see him being more disliked than Kobe by the average person.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #1060
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Hmm...not sure if your serious, but I find there to be either a complete hatred or infatuation for Kobe. In New England (from what I've seen) it's far more the former than the latter. I'm not just talking about this season either, but really ever since the Shaq situation. So from my experience there's really no competition for Kobe in the most unlikeable WC guy. I could definitely see people thoroughly rooting against Kobe.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #1061
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's pretty unusual for Boston to ever have the neutral fans on their side but I think that's happened for the most part in this series.

I dunno. He might compare favorably to Barry Bonds. And, um... that's all I've got.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #1062
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Hmm...not sure if your serious, but I find there to be either a complete hatred or infatuation for Kobe. In New England (from what I've seen) it's far more the former than the latter. I'm not just talking about this season either, but really ever since the Shaq situation. So from my experience there's really no competition for Kobe in the most unlikeable WC guy. I could definitely see people thoroughly rooting against Kobe.

Except that as recent as last year, there were MVP chants for Kobe when he came to Boston.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #1063
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the 2nd part of that is true, but I think the Celtics are the exception to the rule about most neutral fans rooting against Boston teams. Bird and company were so much fun to watch, that I think people in my generation are likely to root for the Celtics as long as they aren't fans of the other team. It doesn't hurt that they have had a down period and haven't always been successful this last decade.

My Boss is from Pennsylvania and he hates everything about the Lakers
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #1064
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Except that as recent as last year, there were MVP chants for Kobe when he came to Boston.

I'd say the people (those with the MVP chants that is) at that game were there for Kobe and the Lakers and not for the Celtics.

Edit: As in a lot of Celtic fans weren't going to pay the ticket prices to watch the 'product' on the floor. This was seen for any big name player/team (the Lebron's, Heat, Suns, etc.)

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 06-13-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #1065
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Kobe has done a heck of a lot with not very much on that team. I will say that. Guys like McGrady never did and heck even Garnett, Allen and Pierce couldn't do it until they got each other to come together.
Pierce took a team to Game 6 of the Conference Finals with Antione Walker as the only above replacement-level teammate. You can also look at what LeBron is doing with a terrible supporting cast in Cleveland.

I think Duncan/Shaq were the two dominant players the first 5 post-Jordan era and now that they're declining LeBron is going to take the mantle from Kobe. The man is an absolute force of nature.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #1066
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And now once again we get a 3-day wait while the teams are in LA. How does this make sense? How do we not have the 3-day wait for travel breaks?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #1067
Jas_lov
College Starter

They don't want the games on Friday and Saturday nights.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #1068
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The rest of the Celtics playoff roster in 2002 included Antoine Walker, Kenny Anderson, Rodney Rogers, Eric Williams, Tony Battie, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Erick Strickland, Mark Blount, Kedrick Brown.

Pierce took this group to the conference finals, led the biggest comeback in playoff history, and was two games from the NBA finals. He did it with that roster.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #1069
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The rest of the Celtics playoff roster in 2002 included Antoine Walker, Kenny Anderson, Rodney Rogers, Eric Williams, Tony Battie, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Erick Strickland, Mark Blount, Kedrick Brown.

Pierce took this group to the conference finals, led the biggest comeback in playoff history, and was two games from the NBA finals. He did it with that roster.

Who were the Stars in the east at that time?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #1070
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
They don't want the games on Friday and Saturday nights.

Given the six-day lead-in they had, they could have started two days earlier and done Tu/Th - Sun/Tu/Th - Sun/Tu. The schedule they left themselves with is horrible.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #1071
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
You ever read any stories about Bruce's upbringing and how he conducts himself off the court? Sure, he is a tough player who makes questionable plays on the court, but off the court, he seems like a great guy who has had a difficult upbringing. I don't see him being more disliked than Kobe by the average person.

Those stories were there when he was called a thug and a cheat as recently as this season. Kobe Bryant has been lauded all year long for finally growing up, being such a great teammate, being such a great leader etc. In fact, there has been a bit of a ground swell of support nationally for Kobe when they talked about the Kobe-Shaq situation. That support had only been evident in LA in previous years.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #1072
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kobe has been great for the LA community and charity work
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #1073
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Who were the Stars in the east at that time?

Iverson with the Sixers, Kidd with the Nets, McGrady with the Magic, Reggie and Jermaine with Indiana, Baron Davis with the Hornets, some guy with the Wizards. Look, I'm not going to argue that the East was strong that year, but seriously look at that team. They went to the conference finals.

I've never understood why Paul Pierce got so much shit over the years.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #1074
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

b/c people are h8rs
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #1075
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Chief, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if you ever again insinuate that Orange County teams are somehow tied to Los Angeles, particularly the Anaheim Angels, I will drive over there and beat you until candy comes out.

And at $4.50 a gallon, I intend to get my money's worth of candy.

What probably kills ya most is that two of the three I brought up were OC teams. Only one LA team in the Lakers, and they are so universal in the area, they do sorta count for the whole SoCal region, so for OC fans, my post works fine.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #1076
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know there's mixed-feelings about him (and rightfully so, he can be a bit over the top even for this Boston fan), but BSG actually gave up his tickets to last night's game and stayed home to do one of his "running diaries." It's up on ESPN.

Actually he said on local radio a couple days ago (he shows up fairly often on his buddy Dave Damashek's show) that he was going to stay home, simply because he can't stand being in the stands surrounded by fans who aren't rooting with him. Haven't read the running diary yet, but I'll bet he wished he was there by the end.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #1077
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I don't think Kobe is nearly as unlikeable as people seem. I know many people who are rooting for the Lakers in this series just because they like Kobe. I'm one of them.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #1078
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
I don't think Kobe is nearly as unlikeable as people seem. I know many people who are rooting for the Lakers in this series just because they like Kobe. I'm one of them.

Heh...believe it or not, this is me as well. Lakers have always been my #2 team (despite what has transpired in this thread), and they are a distant #2 behind the Clips. The main reason the Lakers get love from me is because of Kobe.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #1079
BishopMVP
Coordinator

After looking at the stats today, I think people are underselling Shaq when it comes to dominance. From 93-94 to 02-03, he never averaged less than 26.2 or 10.7. And his 3-year finals averages are utterly dominant.

2000: 38.0/16.7/2.3 61.1% FG
2001: 33.0/15.8/4.8 57.3% FG
2002: 36.3/12.3/3.8 59.5% FG
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #1080
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
After looking at the stats today, I think people are underselling Shaq when it comes to dominance. From 93-94 to 02-03, he never averaged less than 26.2 or 10.7. And his 3-year finals averages are utterly dominant.

2000: 38.0/16.7/2.3 61.1% FG
2001: 33.0/15.8/4.8 57.3% FG
2002: 36.3/12.3/3.8 59.5% FG

Not to discount this, because I haven't given my opinion on who is actually best post-Jordan, but why didn't you include his three other Finals appearances?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #1081
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Top 10 career PER's in the post-Jordan era...

Shaquille O'Neal 27.14 (#2 all-time to Jordan)
Lebron James 25.17
Tim Duncan 25.10
Kevin Garnett 23.93
Dirk Nowitzki 23.92
Kobe Bryant 23.57
Tracy McGrady 23.38
Elton Brand 22.69
Pau Gasol 21.70
Vince Carter 21.65

Shaq led this category 5 straight times (98-02).

Old 06-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #1082
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Top 10 career PER's in the post-Jordan era...

Shaquille O'Neal 27.14 (#2 all-time to Jordan)
Lebron James 25.17
Tim Duncan 25.10
Kevin Garnett 23.93
Dirk Nowitzki 23.92
Kobe Bryant 23.57
Tracy McGrady 23.38
Elton Brand 22.69
Pau Gasol 21.70
Vince Carter 21.65

Shaq led this category 5 straight times (98-02).

so you're saying garnett is better than Bryant?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #1083
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Nope. I'm just posting the career PER's. I'm sure as hell not saying Dirk is better than Kobe.

The more telling part of this is Shaq winning it 5 straight years. Only Jordan (7) and Wilt (6) have had more dominant runs.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #1084
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Kobe's is also down a bit because of his first couple of years. He didnt even start as a rookie and I would imagine that would lessen his overall value as far as career numbers go
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #1085
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post

I think he is a love him or hate him type of personality. I'm bored this evening so I'm looking at a bunch of articles about most disliked athletes via a google search.

GQ has him as the most hated basketball player and 5th overall. This was as voted by peers. Bonzi Wells is 7th on the list and the only other basketball player. Rasheed was on the honorable mention list. FWIW, Terrell Owens was #1 and Barry Bonds was #2.

A more recent web survey voten on by users has him also at #5 on their list and the highest basketball player. Others on the list are Ron Artest and Rasheed Wallace.

Another voter based website has him at #3 only behind Barry Bonds and A-Rod. I find it interesting that OJ is 5th on that list.

He is the highest basketball player on every list I can find. His name is brought up again and again on the web as people debate the most hated athletes. I don't think the anti-Kobe sentiment is being overestimated.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #1086
Desnudo
Coordinator

I dislike Kobe Bryant, and the Lakers in general, as a Celtics fan, but I will add that a woman who works for me with a terminally ill brother had the opportunity to meet him as part of a Make-a-Wish event and said that he was a great guy who was very nice to her brother.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #1087
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Iverson with the Sixers, Kidd with the Nets, McGrady with the Magic, Reggie and Jermaine with Indiana, Baron Davis with the Hornets, some guy with the Wizards. Look, I'm not going to argue that the East was strong that year, but seriously look at that team. They went to the conference finals.

Walker was probably the best sidekick that any of those other players had
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #1088
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

What probably kills ya most is that two of the three I brought up were OC teams. Only one LA team in the Lakers, and they are so universal in the area, they do sorta count for the whole SoCal region, so for OC fans, my post works fine.

Look, if the Lakers played in the OC but called themselves the Los Angeles Lakers, kinda like the Angels, or like the New York Giants of East Rutherford, you'd have a point.

Because they don't, I stand by my candy threat. Also, gas is up ten cents a gallon here since I posted that, so tread carefully.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #1089
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*chuckles* Someone just IM'd me the following.

"The NBA announced the refs for game five are Bennett Salvatore, Joey Crawford and David Stern. The NBA announced they would announce the refs for game six when if the Lakers win."
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #1090
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like game 4, hopefully the Lakers won't choke this one away.

Man, what could have been...
Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #1091
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not to discount this, because I haven't given my opinion on who is actually best post-Jordan, but why didn't you include his three other Finals appearances?
ESPN had an article on the Top Finals PERS and they were handy. A quick look at his stats didn't show any way to break down other playoff stats (I suppose basketball-reference.com or something would have them.)

NBA and its remaining fans who don't think it's rigged must love that ESPN had Dick Bavetta being a Game 5 ref on its front page. They just can't get out of their own way. Just stop assigning the refs everybody is suspicious of to the important games please.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #1092
Groundhog
Coordinator

Garnett is so damn effective when he is going AT the basket rather than fading away from it. Problem is that most possessions you wouldn't know it.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #1093
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Pierce just slicing up the Laker's D (prob. could have been a few more calls on those drives too).
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #1094
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I love how careful Tony Allen was coming down after that dunk. Heh.

I'd actually like to see the Celtics put Scalabrine in, if only for one possession just as a motivational factor.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #1095
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers are collapsing again
Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #1096
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

15-0 run by the Celtics.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #1097
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Lakers refusal to play any kind of defense will be their up doing. My roommate just made mention the fact that Bynum is not their someone who I had totally forgot about. Boy oh boy did they miss him this series.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #1098
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What the hell is with Gasol? He didn't even look like he was trying to catch that pass.

Also, I think Paul Pierce just might steal Finals MVP from Ray Allen.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-15-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #1099
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Gasol sucks.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #1100
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Kobe needs to be more aggressive and enforce his will on the game. All of this team leader motivator crap needs to stop.