Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #10801
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So my mom is on the phone in one of her just rambling on sessions where I tend to tune her out because she hadn't said anything relevant in several minutes. She then starts telling me about how a few years ago she stopped at this place that sold gourmet popcorn and how good it was. She then goes into the flavors, etc., how she doesn't get there often because the couple that run it moved the business, but always likes to go there when she gets over that way and the popcorn is so good. She goes on about how nice the couple that run it are.

Where was this leading? After all that I just mentioned in excruciating detal she says "Well, I had the news on and saw that the woman was murdered yesterday. Her husband might be a suspect."

Um... how about you lead with that info? "I just saw on the news a woman I know was murdered" is a much better attention grabber than "They have good carmel corn."

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 01-27-2013 at 08:24 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #10802
Izulde
Head Coach

:rofl:

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #10803
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just had my first Rolo McFlurry from McD's.

My first thought is that it's not bad, but not as good as the old hot caramel sundae.

My second thought is that Rolo McFlurry sounds like a character from Sanford & Son.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #10804
booradley
High School Varsity

Drinking Coors Light and listening to BBC Radio 4 cooking podcasts. What ... has ... happened to me?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #10805
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Drinking Coors Light and listening to BBC Radio 4 cooking podcasts. What ... has ... happened to me?

Per chance, are you wearing a plaid shirt?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #10806
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe you have turned into a fa'afafine?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #10807
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Maybe you have turned into a fa'afafine?

I was drinking my coffee when I read this...it burns!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #10808
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I was drinking my coffee when I read this...it burns!

Haha sorry.

I had just read your post in the Teo thread, so it was fresh in my mind.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #10809
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Did you by chance drink from a gold chalice before hand? If so, you chose...poorly.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #10810
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I vaguely remember some show maybe on USA about a family in Witness Protection. It was not In Plain Sight. Google searches are shit, what was this show called? I may have only seen the pilot/possible tv movie
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #10811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking that it was probably Cover Me, was the series worth watching?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10812
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ticketmaster is dumping Captcha. Thank god. That was the worst.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #10813
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im terrible at fallacies, but I was wondering which fallacy would this be

If A, then B,
If C, then B
A does not equal C
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #10814
britrock88
Pro Starter

I don't know that what you describe is a fallacy so much as it is a lack of proof of transitivity between A and C. Then again, it's been 7-plus years since I took symbolic logic.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #10815
sabotai
General Manager

Watched the last episode of 30 Rock. Didn't laugh once....

Edit: changed the tenses but not the content.

Last edited by sabotai : 01-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #10816
Logan
Head Coach

I'm DVRing it. Last week's was great and could have very easily been the series finale. I'll be interested to see what they came up with to go in that direction.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #10817
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

The first three years of this show were gold. Too bad the last couple have been so bad.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #10818
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

The last decent episode of "30 Rock" that I recall was the Leap Day William one. That was more of a fluke that season than anything else.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #10819
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I dunno, I enjoyed the 30 Rock finale. Especially when Jack Donaghy bragged about pissing off Alec Baldwin.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #10820
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have somehow managed to dodge all of 30Rock, Parks and maybe seen the Community pilot. I figure all these shows are probably good but not going anywhere.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #10821
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I have somehow managed to dodge all of 30Rock, Parks and maybe seen the Community pilot. I figure all these shows are probably good but not going anywhere.

Parks and Rec has been the best sitcom on tv for the last few years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #10822
Suicane75
Coordinator

Anyone know of any Mini Golf games like Mini Golf Gold? I play the hell out of it a few times a year but only having 2 courses is very limiting.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #10823
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

That's a lot of quality laughs you're denying yourself.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #10824
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I dunno, I enjoyed the 30 Rock finale. Especially when Jack Donaghy bragged about pissing off Alec Baldwin.

I watched it this morning and I agree...thought it was a very good finale with some solid laughs.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #10825
sabotai
General Manager

Parks and Rec is a great show. The first season was just okay, but it really took off in season 2.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #10826
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I hate people that drive like asshats....carry on...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #10827
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Me too.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #10828
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have only seen Parks & Rec on closed captioning at the gym, but I admit what I saw was pretty damn funny.

I have seen 2-3 Community episodes, and they were all hilarious. I should watch more.

I never got into 30 Rock at the start, and then Tina Fey went all liberal during the first Obama campaign and Alec Baldwin went apeshit on his crazy daughter. Not gonna support that crew (although I do like Tracy Morgan).

Obviously, I am not a big TV watcher, outside of sports and a few very select shows.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #10829
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
then Tina Fey went all liberal during the first Obama campaign

Really? That's what you're going with?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #10830
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't particularly like Fey or Poehler but politics doesn't even register. It's maybe just a backlash against everyone fawning over someone you just don't see it. Like I was never a fan of either on SNL. I really like Aziz and Adam Scott though.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #10831
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Really? That's what you're going with?

We all have our foibles. She ticked me off by using her spotlight as a pulpit to campaign for Obama and rip Bush. Sorry if that doesn't fly with your sensibilities.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #10832
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Parks and Rec is a great show. The first season was just okay, but it really took off in season 2.

Oh god the first season is so bad. Its only 7 episodes long (writers strike year I think?), but I couldn't even make it through all of them. I caught up on the show a couple months ago and watched everything over the course of a couple weeks. I watched the first two to get a feel for the characters, then skipped to the season 1 finale, then started in on Season 2. Its unbelievable how much the show changed and improved in its second season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #10833
korme
Go Reds

Another throwing my hat in the ring for Parks. It's now the only network show I watch.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #10834
JediKooter
Coordinator

I haven't really had any random thoughts so far today.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #10835
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I haven't really had any random thoughts so far today.

Did you take Adderall this morning?

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #10836
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Did you take Adderall this morning?

Nope. Just had some eggs, bacon and sausage this morning.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #10837
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
We all have our foibles. She ticked me off by using her spotlight as a pulpit to campaign for Obama and rip Bush. Sorry if that doesn't fly with your sensibilities.

You don't sound sorry.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #10838
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
You don't sound sorry.

Yeah, you got me.

I tend to believe I can hold my own opinions for whatever reasons I want.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #10839
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

She what? She was on Saturday Night Live... she looked and sounded exactly like Sarah Palin and they asked her to come on to do guest appearances. I mean it'd be like hating on Will Ferrell for doing a George W. Bush impersonation or Darrell Hammond for doing a Bill Clinton impersonation. SNL shouldn't be doing political humor anymore?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #10840
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
She what? She was on Saturday Night Live... she looked and sounded exactly like Sarah Palin and they asked her to come on to do guest appearances. I mean it'd be like hating on Will Ferrell for doing a George W. Bush impersonation or Darrell Hammond for doing a Bill Clinton impersonation. SNL shouldn't be doing political humor anymore?

This has nothing to do with her doing her job as a comedienne and actress. And thanks for reminding me, it was specifically a Palin bashing moment, not Bush (it all melded together back in 2008).

Fey won the Best Actress Emmy for Comedy in 2008, in the show that was just six weeks before the Obama-McCain election, and in her acceptance speech, she asked very stridently that she, come Nov. 5, not need to play this woman anymore. It was a clear anti-conservative stance, of course.

I didn't have an issue with Fey having that opinion; she's welcome to them, and Palin was (and is) a freaking joke and embarrassment. I had an issue with her politicking in a moment which should have been focused on her work in 30 Rock and on the enternainment industry. And then Hollywood all gets up and gives her a standing ovation for it, given their general anti-conservative stance. It was the story of that Emmy's and was all over the place for the few days after that.

So for that reason, I'm not likely to be too quick to jump onto Fey entertainment vehicles.

And, again, it's my opinion and it doesn't really much matter to me if you or anyone accepts it. But I figured I owed an explanation, since you thought I was making it about her having to play Palin on SNL.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #10841
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fey won the Best Actress Emmy for Comedy in 2008, in the show that was just six weeks before the Obama-McCain election, and in her acceptance speech, she asked very stridently that she, come Nov. 5, not need to play this woman anymore. It was a clear anti-conservative stance, of course.

What in the world are you talking about?

2008 Tina Fey Acceptance Speech, Leading Actress in a Comedy - YouTube
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #10842
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I can't view this at work, but I presume it is her speech from 2008.

Hmm, I have a very distinct memory of her on stage and making political statements during a speech in the lead up to the vote that year, which, if you recall, was a very charged political season and very divisive between conservatives and liberals. I may have the place of that speech wrong, but unless I am daffy, I am certain it happened.

She did say to reporters backstage after winning the Emmy: ""I want to be done playing this lady Nov. 5," she said. "So if anybody can help me be done playing this lady Nov. 5, that would be good for me."

Tina Fey's Emmy Night: Humble, Wants To Stop Playing Sarah Palin

Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #10843
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow, so backstage to reporters asking her about the role she's been playing all Summer, she makes a joking comment about "if anybody can help me be done playing this lady" and that's your beef?

It seems like you were just pissed Fey help made Palin a laughing stock through her SNL portrayal and you grafted this onto her to justify the hate.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #10844
molson
General Manager

There was something about Julianne Moore thanking Tina Fey in one of her acceptance speeches about contributing to the result of the 2008 election with her impression. I always got the feeling that those awards shows could evolve into political conventions at any moment. That's died down a lot since then though, I think they got the message that nobody wants to see that.

I get annoyed by that stuff generally too. I don't think that's some weird fringe view, being annoyed by celebrities thinking they're relevant political commentators. I think this was covered in the Team America movie.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #10845
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But that's the thing. Fey generally tried to avoid making any overt statements - the only things we can find appear to be backstage comments about her not wanting to play the role. Heck, Fey appeared with JOHN MCCAIN in one of the (if not the absolute) last time playing Sarah Palin on SNL (it was quite funny too, with McCain selling McCain Finegold to fund his campaign and Fey going "rogue").

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #10846
Kodos
Resident Alien

30 Rock and Parks & Rec are both very solid shows.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #10847
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, so backstage to reporters asking her about the role she's been playing all Summer, she makes a joking comment about "if anybody can help me be done playing this lady" and that's your beef?

It seems like you were just pissed Fey help made Palin a laughing stock through her SNL portrayal and you grafted this onto her to justify the hate.

So you think I am just lying or making it up? I can picture it in my head. I may have not found the speech yet, but I know it happened, and it wasn't a dream sequence and it wasn't some trumped up thing backstage. That quote was from backstage, but I am guessing that wasn't the only time she said it.

She was up on stage at that Emmys, BTW, multiple times. Did you find any other speeches by her from that night?

I loved Fey's Palin impressions. They cracked me up. I thought the Repubs going with Palin was some kind of joke. I had early hopes I was wrong, but then Palin opened her mouth, and dashed those hopes pretty quick.

My God, Imran, what do you think of me if you think I can HATE an actress for doing political satire? If that's your impression of me, then I have erred somewhere. There's a big difference between hate and taking a stance against someone because of their political views.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #10848
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you think I am just lying or making it up? I can picture it in my head. I may have not found the speech yet, but I know it happened, and it wasn't a dream sequence and it wasn't some trumped up thing backstage. That quote was from backstage, but I am guessing that wasn't the only time she said it.

She was up on stage at that Emmys, BTW, multiple times. Did you find any other speeches by her from that night?

I loved Fey's Palin impressions. They cracked me up. I thought the Repubs going with Palin was some kind of joke. I had early hopes I was wrong, but then she opened her mouth, and dashed those hopes pretty quick.

My God, Imran, what do you think of me if you think I can HATE an actress for doing political satire? If that's your impression of me, then I have erred somewhere. There's a big difference between hate and taking a stance against someone because of their political views.

I looked at all of them - she won for original screenplay as well and there is no politics there. I even googled it, but nothing aside from the backstage comments. I think you took the backstage comments and blew 'em up in your mind as some sort of speech she made to everyone while accepting an award.

Obviously, if one refuses to watch a show because of a political satire and backstage comments that's a bit more than pooh-poohing someone for airing their political opinions - esp after you said you wouldn't do so if it was just different political opinions. Obviously she hit some nerve by her satirical portrayal to justify this overreaction.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #10849
molson
General Manager

There's so much TV I'd love to see but haven't got around to. Maybe I should take a year off or something to get through this stuff. I'm only seen like 2 episodes of the Office even. The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Breaking Bad, both seasons of Band of Brothers, The Wire, Lost, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead, Homeland - I've never seen any of them, but would love to be able to suspend time and take in them all. The only things I've managed to keep up with are Dexter and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #10850
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I looked at all of them - she won for original screenplay as well and there is no politics there. I even googled it, but nothing aside from the backstage comments. I think you took the backstage comments and blew 'em up in your mind as some sort of speech she made to everyone while accepting an award.

Obviously, if one refuses to watch a show because of a political satire and backstage comments that's a bit more than pooh-poohing someone for airing their political opinions - esp after you said you wouldn't do so if it was just different political opinions. Obviously she hit some nerve by her satirical portrayal to justify this overreaction.

I can't tell you more emphatically than this that I have no negative feelings about her Palin portrayals. I don't know how many more ways to say it. I do not have nor have ever had any feelings about her Palin impressions except "funny". When I think about them as I am sitting here, I don't feel any negativity at all.

So either you think I am lying or you just won't accept the truth.

When I get the chance, I'll do some more searching and see if I can track something down.