Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #1001
miami_fan
Coordinator

No disrespect to Brad Nessler but given this is the last Iron Bowl on CBS, I really wish they have brought back Verne Lundquist to the mic if the game was going to end like this.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:05 PM   #1002
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Make Milroe run there. Flush him and get him down before the goal line. Instead you give him all the time in the world to find the guy in the end-zone.

Also, they was a really good throw. Like pinpoint placement. If he can figure out timing routes, that kid may actually have a future as a full QB.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:08 PM   #1003
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Make Milroe run there. Flush him and get him down before the goal line. Instead you give him all the time in the world to find the guy in the end-zone.

Yeah, Aubie did what they could not do
Old 11-25-2023, 06:22 PM   #1004
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They only rushed two. The CB was twenty yards deep. The safety was 30 yeards deep.

And somehow the WR still got behind everybody.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #1005
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The safety bit on an inside receiver but then left him when he saw he was covered and sat in no man's land between the insider receiver and the guy who caught it in the end zone so it ended up being 1-on-1.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #1006
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina had a chance to capture the Sun Belt East today at home against James Madison. Win and they move on to the Sun Belt title game. Instead they showed they were not up to the task, losing 56-14. QB #1 McCall did not play again so he must still be recovering from his injuries. It would be a shame if he was not able to play in Coastal's Bowl game and end his career on a sour note.

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-25-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:13 PM   #1007
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU and Baylor have about 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. WVU has 306 yards of offense. Baylor has 28 yards and hasn't touched the ball since the 3:34 mark in the first. Zero turnovers for either team.

20-14 WVU right now

Last edited by Atocep : 11-25-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:17 PM   #1008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I really can't defend the decision to kick a field goal there.

I'm not a Key-believer, good opportunity for him to prove me wrong so we shall see.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:38 PM   #1009
miami_fan
Coordinator

Looks like someone told Key to be more aggressive.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-25-2023, 08:42 PM   #1010
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

OSU might have lots of problems next year. They could lose nine starters on defense, the TE, top 3 WR, and RB. Day has gone all in this year and there aren't a lot of experienced backups ready to step in.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:08 PM   #1011
miami_fan
Coordinator

What is the rule for when the officials are supposed to blow a play dead? I thought it is supposed to be when the ball carrier's forward motion but I feel like the refs are allowing a lot of pileups that are seemed to be stopped to continue almost with the hope that the ball carrier breaks free.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #1012
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

#34 for K-State rumbling through the snow while tacklers bounce off him is kind of the Platonic ideal of football.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:15 PM   #1013
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I almost can't entirely blame the players for the abysmal state of the GT defense.

I mean, some of these players spent 2+ years with no discernible coaching (under the now-dismissed Thacker), that has to limit your ceiling.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:21 PM   #1014
Ksyrup

Can 2 players be thrown out for targeting on the same play?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #1015
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Gators going to Gator. Had to get the cheap shot in, and it looks like it will cost them the game.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:37 PM   #1016
Ksyrup

That follows one of the DLs getting tossed earlier for spitting in an FSU player's face.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #1017
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stoops to A&M?

I mean, on the one hand, he's done a good job with not much.
On the other hand, is his ceiling any higher than Jimbo's?
Old 11-25-2023, 09:53 PM   #1018
GrantDawg

It will be interesting to see what he can do with real resources.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:57 PM   #1019
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Stoops to A&M?

I mean, on the one hand, he's done a good job with not much.
On the other hand, is his ceiling any higher than Jimbo's?

I think the ultimate ceiling is probably higher than with Jimbo but the floor is lower too. Jimbo at this stage is a good recruiter, decent coach, and a difficult guy to work for that hasn't done a good job making or maintaining the connections needed to keep or hire a solid pool of assistants.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #1020
Ksyrup

The timing makes sense. Things have been getting a bit stale here as UK has not been able to play with the big boys. But he's such a Midwestern guy that Texas seems like a weird fit. I guess with resources and the right coaches/recruiters, he can be a good CEO.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #1021
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think the ultimate ceiling is probably higher than with Jimbo but the floor is lower too. Jimbo at this stage is a good recruiter, decent coach, and a difficult guy to work for that hasn't done a good job making or maintaining the connections needed to keep or hire a solid pool of assistants.

A phrase I saw earlier kinda feels like a major problem, something about "an offense that's felt like it was in decline over most of the past few years"
Old 11-25-2023, 10:04 PM   #1022
Ksyrup

The Athletic article described his offense as already outdated when Jameis was running it.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:11 PM   #1023
Atocep
Coordinator

There's a Kentucky alum and former assistant that I couldn't recommend enough as Stoops replacement.

He's an air raid guy, big on culture, and he would be coming home.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-25-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:31 PM   #1024
GrantDawg

There are already counter reports he is staying at Kentucky. I wouldn't be surprised if he does. He might bitch about not have the NIL money of other teams, but he has one of the cushiest jobs in college football. He could win 7 games a year and still get regular raises.

Edit: Yup. Looking confirmed he has pulled out.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-25-2023 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:14 AM   #1025
Ksyrup

Looks like it. I just didn't understand the fit. Timing, yes. I wonder if beating Louisville factored in. Ending the season on a 5 game losing streak and major grumblings versus 7-5 and a win over a top 10 rival. Maybe he was already planning an exit but the win made it complicated and UK came up with some more years/money to keep him.

Or, his agent played the media pretty well...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-26-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #1026
Ksyrup

Stoops statement "... I knew in my heart I couldn't leave the University of Kentucky right now."

Also made sure to confirm he was contacted about a job opening this weekend.

Interesting statement.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:01 AM   #1027
GrantDawg

From a reporter on Twitter:
Every Coach: Yes Mr Aggie, I’m very interested in your job opening

Texas A&M: We won’t be offering anymore $76 million buyouts.

Every Coach: Bye Felicia

I’ve confirmed this conversation with 2 sources

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-26-2023 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #1028
Swaggs
Coordinator

Houston fires Dana Holgorsen.

Iowa needs to make him their offensive coordinator immediately. He’s from Iowa, too lazy to manage an entire program, but a brilliant offensive mind. Make it so.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:27 PM   #1029
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Iowa needs to make him their offensive coordinator immediately. He’s from Iowa, too lazy to manage an entire program, but a brilliant offensive mind. Make it so.

Im getting the feeling the fan base wants the HC in waiting as the next OC

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #1030
bronconick
College Starter

Indiana fires Tom Allen with a $20.8 million buyout. If they had waited for 2024 in what, 40 days?, it would have been $8 million.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #1031
Ksyrup

Yeah but you're throwing away the recruiting class this year, encouraging transfers jumping from a sinking ship, and waiting really long to assemble a staff.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #1032
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Ferentz and Dana together would absolutely require a college Hard Knocks show.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #1033
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah but you're throwing away the recruiting class this year, encouraging transfers jumping from a sinking ship, and waiting really long to assemble a staff.

But in this era would the 12 mil spent on players lead to a better outcome?
Old 11-26-2023, 02:04 PM   #1034
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But in this era would the 12 mil spent on players lead to a better outcome?
With signing day three weeks away? No. You are playing catch up if you wait till next year, and the best players are gone. Who are you paying?
Old 11-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #1035
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Transfer portal
Old 11-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #1036
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who are you paying?

Transfers.

It's the #50 class in the country, nothing above a 3*, only 3 of the 19 commits are in the top 50 at their position. And of those 3, only 1 of them had any other P5 offer.

Not sure how much they'd be risking frankly.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:17 PM   #1037
Atocep
Coordinator

Signing day isn't that big of a deal for a lot of the mid to lower tier P4/5 schools anymore. The transfer portal is a better bet and it's actually easier to go head to head with the bigger schools for guys that want to play right away and are burning their free transfer.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:22 PM   #1038
GrantDawg

Your still picking from parts. You may not be competing with upper tier teams for players, but you are competing with the mid-tier for the players willing to play at that level. Having to put that together after all the other teams have gotten their first choice is a pretty big handicap.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:35 PM   #1039
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This from ESPN makes the buyout make sense for both parties.

Quote:
In announcing Allen's dismissal, the school said it had agreed to a $15.5 million settlement with the coach that will be paid over two installments.

Allen will receive one $7.75 million payment this year and another in 2024, an Indiana spokesman told ESPN. The amount will not be offset by future earnings, a source told ESPN, as his original buyout would have been.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:18 PM   #1040
GrantDawg

Mike Elko is next up for the Texas A&M gig. He had already shut down discussion earlier this week, so they must have came at him with a bigger bag.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #1041
Ksyrup

Elko turned down Michigan State, he wasn't offered A&M earlier this week. I assume he doesn't consider A&M to be a similar job to MSU.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #1042
miami_fan
Coordinator

Computers pick UNLV, Boise St. for Mountain West title game - ESPN

Quote:
UNLV will host Boise State in the Mountain West championship game Saturday, the conference announced Sunday.

The Rebels and Broncos finished tied with San José State at 6-2 in conference play. Because UNLV and Boise State did not play each other during the regular season, the three-way tie was broken by an average of four computer rankings: Anderson & Hester, Colley Matrix, Massey and Wolfe.

Come on guys, don't hide behind the computers. We know you wanted BSU and UNLV in the title game.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:03 PM   #1043
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Miss State hires Lebby, the guy Miami should have hired
Old 11-27-2023, 06:21 AM   #1044
Kodos
Resident Alien

Loved Tom Allen as a person, but he had to go. Hopefully Mark Cuban can help IU grab a proven winner. So tired of losing and always knowing we’re going to lose.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:00 AM   #1045
GrantDawg

Did you see the rumor is Jon Gruden?

Old 11-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #1046
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I saw that. It got debunked pretty quickly. I sure hope it is not him. There's buzz about Tom Herman, but with IU football, I'll believe it when I see it. (Ironically, before his scandal, I would have been all aboard with him being the HC.)

Last edited by Kodos : 11-27-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:15 AM   #1047
Kodos
Resident Alien

There are also rumors of Antwaan Randle El, who has done a good job with the receivers for the Lions. However, he's never been a head coach. I do love ARE, and it'd be nice to have a guy who might not jump ship if he were to have somehow miraculously have success at IU.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-27-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #1048
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess in my ideal world, we would get a name head coach with Randle El as OC. Then Randle El could take over the program when the head coach inevitably moved on. And while I'm making silly wishes, I'd love to have Tom Allen back as DC. That's where he really shined. (I realize that would never happen.)

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence could date our tight end so I could see her during our broadcasts.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #1049
RainMaker
General Manager

With the massive media deals the Big 10 have, they should be able to pull in a semi-decent name.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:39 PM   #1050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Best line I've seen so far "Transfer portal news is starting to feel like watching the Tinder app"