Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #1001
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I suspect the eventual outcome of this is much worse though. Next labor contract, I fully expect a full lost season.

With the NFL making more than MLB and NBA combined, and the players being the lowest paid of the three... The climate around concussions and "what they knew".... The heavy handed omniscient GOoDell....and the (assumptive) lack of of the union head being either on the take or totally incompetent for the first time in decades... this next round of negotiations will be brutal and bloody. I'm not convinced that 1 strike season is even doubtful at this juncture.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady in that role (players union rep) in the future.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #1002
Suicane75
Coordinator

And President Trump, in the longest con of all, finally gets his USFL.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #1003
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The theory's always been that it was initiated by people with a personal, not professional, vendetta against Belichick and the Pats. Mike Kensil specifically was one of the people at the Jets when Belichick wrote I quit on a napkin and bounced to New England. Then once that false info was leaked and the narrative developed Goodell cowtowed to the owners (which, to be fair, is what they pay him for) regardless of what the facts were.

And now people who would be apoplectic if this was their team, and appalled if this was the evidence in any court case, are not just accepting of Goodell's actions but actually gleeful it happened I guess because the fanbase is arrogant? And they perceive the Patriots as cheaters, even though outside of Spygate (for which we received the largest punishment in NFL history) there is zero hard evidence the Patriots actually push boundaries any more than the average NFL team. So yeah, SHURG it is, because apparently most people are incapable of disliking the Patriots or their fans while still acknowledging that this has been a witch-hunt from day 1 and a complete joke on Goodell's part, if the goal really was to find the truth. Which it clearly hasn't been.

As far as the punishment I've never cared about the Brady stuff compared to the draft picks, and barring injury the timeline doesn't work for Jimmy G replacing him, but hopefully he does well in his audition so we can get more draft capital when we likely trade him next spring.

As a Bengals fan, I could spend every season bitching about how the NFL favors the Steelers. It is what it is.

You win more than anyone else. Why isn't that enough for you?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #1004
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
So yeah, SHURG it is, because apparently most people are incapable of disliking the Patriots or their fans while still acknowledging that this has been a witch-hunt from day 1 and a complete joke on Goodell's part, if the goal really was to find the truth. Which it clearly hasn't been.

My issue is specifically with SirFozzie completely ignoring everything written about how the witch-hunt is related to spygate and how Gooddell fucked it up and how other owners were specifically looking for a "make-up call" for Spygate and instead changing the narrative to "the pats have won too long so this is what happens".

I'm no fan of Goodell or how the NFL has done pretty much anything from the disciplinary side of things in the past decade.

I'm taking issue specifically with one person's interpretation that, to me, is laughable. Not intending to be anything more behind it than that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #1005
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

And I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady in that role (players union rep) in the future.

Well, that'd be one way to put the fans in the corner of the owners.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:53 AM   #1006
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

So LeVeon Bell could be suspended 4 games and Ezekiel Elliott might be beating his GF... Speculation on both for now, but one story obviously much bigger than the other if allegations of domestic abuse do arise.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:22 AM   #1007
stevew
Hall Of Famer

bell is dumb and it was leaked a month ago that he missed a test. Elliot thing sounds like BS, but I'm sure they'll look into it more.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #1008
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, reading into it, it seems 4 witnesses do not want to go along with the GF's story on Elliott. One of them apparently was in the car at the time of the alleged attack.

FUCK EA
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #1009
Logan
Head Coach

Josh Gordon reinstated on a conditional basis. He's suspended first 4 games.

I'll give it until 8/28 until he is kicked out again.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #1010
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rams granted Nick Foles his release, so he is a free agent now
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-27-2016 at 04:17 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #1011
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In other QB news, it sounds like the Jets and Fitzpatrick finally reached a deal.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #1012
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
In other QB news, it sounds like the Jets and Fitzpatrick finally reached a deal.

He's lucky to be in position for a starting job after that debacle in the last game of the year. He was trying for a 3 year deal which just seemed silly given that game. Maybe he can prove that he can do the job with this deal and if not the Jets won't lose any sleep over a one year deal.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #1013
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
He's lucky to be in position for a starting job after that debacle in the last game of the year. He was trying for a 3 year deal which just seemed silly given that game. Maybe he can prove that he can do the job with this deal and if not the Jets won't lose any sleep over a one year deal.

I don't think he was trying for a three year deal as much as he was trying for more guaranteed money, which the Jets couldn't afford without stretching it into more years. They offered him 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year contracts as of like a month ago.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #1014
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Foles to the 49ers seems like a foregone conclusion, and while I'm fairly certain he's better than either Kaepernick or Gannett, I still don't want him.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #1015
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Foles to the 49ers seems like a foregone conclusion, and while I'm fairly certain he's better than either Kaepernick or Gannett, I still don't want him.

I'd love Dallas to pick up Foles for when Tony Romo inevitably gets injured.

Kellen Moore does not inspire confidence.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #1016
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
He's a below average starting NFL QB, but still light years better than the Jets other options despite the fact they've picked 7 QB's in the last 9 drafts. (unless you're a believer in Geno Smith!) I really like Todd Bowles, but until they figure that out the ceiling's only so high.

I also think there's a decent chance he just wanted to enjoy some downtime since he could. Everyone thought this offer would still be on the table until training camp officially started, and as soon as they put a deadline on it he showed up and signed it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #1017
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
He's a below average starting NFL QB, but still light years better than the Jets other options despite the fact they've picked 7 QB's in the last 9 drafts. (unless you're a believer in Geno Smith!) I really like Todd Bowles, but until they figure that out the ceiling's only so high.

I also think there's a decent chance he just wanted to enjoy some downtime since he could. Everyone thought this offer would still be on the table until training camp officially started, and as soon as they put a deadline on it he showed up and signed it.

Im actually surprised he didn't hang it up. He has more than enough $$, the Ivy League education and I know he has several businesses making him $$. He was talking about being done when he was with the Bills.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #1018
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I gotta say, as a Lions fan my standards are obviously pretty low and it's way too early to do anything other than look at the team on paper, but I've been pretty impressed what young, rookie GM Bob Quinn has done this offseason. He went heavy on the trenches in the draft, which the Lions haven't done in many years, bought in some safeties to help the back end problems, and though I certainly wasn't happy about the thought of going into 2016 without Calvin Johnson, signing Marvin Jones and just recently Anquan Boldin is about the best recovery you could expect (and makes a decent WR core, with Golden Tate), considering the circumstances.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1019
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Jones/Boldin is a nice interchange opposite Tate. Boldin is slow but he can still move the chains, Jones is a legit deep threat, and Tate is probably aching to be the top dog again after what he did in 2014. The Lions might have actually improved the passing game despite Johnson leaving.

FUCK EA
Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #1020
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It looks like Andrew Luck is going to stink this year.

Matt Hasselbeck on Andrew Luck: “He takes pride in not showering†- Stampede Blue
Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #1021
cartman
Death Herald

Gives a whole new meaning to him saying "Luck is in the air"
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #1022
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, I like my team better this year than in a looooooooooooooong time. Lots of losing years recently, but I just feel, for the first time, like we have something special about to happen.

Go JAGS!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #1023
Kodos
Resident Alien

NFL investigation on PEDs clears Peyton Manning - Denver Broncos Blog- ESPN
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #1024
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I just love this headline: Jaguars running back Denard Robinson addresses how car ended up in pond | Sport | The Guardian
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #1025
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Rolando McClain gets a 10 game suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.

Apparently he was getting his purple drank on, and that is what led to the suspension.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #1026
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cards give "honey badger" a 5 year extension, 62 million. Cards are clearly taking a risk here-he's not been able to get through a full season without a serious injury (both knees), but when he is on the field, he's clearly one of the best at the position, and he's become a leader off and on the field. Quite the success story from his college days when he fell all the way to the 3rd round.

Tyrann Mathieu, Cardinals agree to 5-year extension - NFL.com
Old 08-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #1027
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oh and Dallas backup Kellen Moore breaks his ankle:

Kellen Moore breaks ankle, will have surgery Wednesday - NFL.com
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #1028
Kodos
Resident Alien

Tom Jackson announces retirement from ESPN

Rats. Jackson is one of my favorite NFL analysts.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #1029
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh and Dallas backup Kellen Moore breaks his ankle:

Kellen Moore breaks ankle, will have surgery Wednesday - NFL.com
Get Kyle Orton on the phone!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #1030
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

William Jackson III out for the year with a ripped titty. LAME... Thankfully he wasn't going to be a major player this year more than likely. I just hope Andrew Billings, Tyler Boyd and Nick Vigil stay healthy.

FUCK EA
Old 08-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #1031
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...BOn?li=BBnba9I

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya, ok not all that shocked.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #1032
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
William Jackson III out for the year with a ripped titty. LAME... Thankfully he wasn't going to be a major player this year more than likely. I just hope Andrew Billings, Tyler Boyd and Nick Vigil stay healthy.

They sounded like they thought he could be a nickel this year at least. Makes it somewhat important to re-sign Leon Hall now.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #1033
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
They sounded like they thought he could be a nickel this year at least. Makes it somewhat important to re-sign Leon Hall now.

Maybe. They still have Shaw, Dennard and Jones.. Kirkpatrick I'm not a big fan of, but those 3 should be on the field.. (Dennard needs to stay healthy of course)

Hall is gonna be Chris Crocker for a couple years I think.

FUCK EA
Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #1034
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Preseason starts tonight, which means we're one step closer to the regular season!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #1035
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Preseason starts tonight, which means we're one step closer to the regular season!

The field melted so now we don't get Monday Night Football tonight, game cancelled.

EDIT: Not melted, the paint used on the field ruined it.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-07-2016 at 05:59 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #1036
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You had one job field manager...
Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #1037
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Hall of Fame LAME

FUCK EA
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #1038
Thomkal
Head Coach

well that's a horrible start to the NFL season.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #1039
bhlloy
Coordinator

Somebody is paying somebody else a shit ton of money over this
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #1040
stevew
Hall Of Famer

HOF Game is just another in the long list of Goddell debacles and I'm sure there will be a nice settlement for people who attended. Simply refunding the tickets won't be enough.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #1041
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How does this one fall on Goodell?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #1042
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don;t know if this is the place or not, so let'd do it:

My predictions for 2016 for the Jags:

1) Bortles, with a smarter play, and with a better running game, drops statistically from last year to to 4000 passing yards, 32 TDs, but gets his picks under control to 12.

2). Robinson is a beast and leads the team, and is one of the top receivers in the league again but with a fewer scores.

3). Hurns drops below 1000 yards from last year to somewhere near 900.

4). Julius Thomas reminds people why he's good, and continues the Bortles-Thomas connection when he was healthy last year (he had 5 scores and 455 yards in an aborted season)

5). If healthy, Marqise Lee breaks out and gives teh Jags some serious questions at receiver for the future.

6). Splitting carries at back very evenly, both Chris Ivory and TJ Yeldon have average years. The Running game improves due to....

7). Beachum wins the LT batter in camp after he returns from his surgery, and Joeckel slides to LG, which is actually a better fit for his skill set anyway. Impresses. Jags resign him to a cheaper LG contract. Also, newly minted C Brandon Linder becomes one of the better starting Centers in the league. He reminds folks that there was a reason many thought he was the best one on the line at the end of his rookie season

8). On defense::

9). Marks does not regain his 2014 form where he led all DTs in the league in sacks. Sad but true. He'll be a one-hit wonder

10). At the halfway mark of the season, either Ramsey or Jack is in the running for Defensive Rookie of the Year, but that fades by the end of the year

11). Malik Jackson is a disappointment

12). Dante Fowler leads the team in sacks, and becomes a major sack machine as the season progresses and he gets more on it.

13). At the end of the year, FS Gipson will look like the best FA signing for the Jags

14). With a strong FS presence, SS Jonathan Cyprien will stop being forced to do the away-from-the-line that's he's not good at. Helping with run support, tackling,forcing fumbles, causing disruption is where he's good, but not coverage or picks or stuff. He'll have the best year of his career in the SS role.

15). Near the end of the season, one of the three Jaguars star potential rookies on defense, Ramsey, Jack, or Fowler will be knocked out the season and have a rough injury.

16). Telvin Smith will, unfortunately, have a lesser season statistically as he's no longer the only show in town with Paul Poz coming back from surgery and Jack on the roster. He won;t make the NFLs Top 100 next year

17). Nobody on the Jags team is going to be high on the league's charts for picks. Not even Ramsey. But for other stuff, like passes defensed or something, that's on tab.

18). At the end of the year, the Jags will be 9-7 and potentially in the Wild Card chase. Andrew Luck doubters will falter, the Colts win the division, the Titans suffer a sophomore slump from their guy and the Texans need another year or two for Osweiler to get their offense and players. End of the year its Colts, Jags, Texans, and Titans, in that order.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-08-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #1043
whomario
Pro Starter

A new german streaming service/group has bought the rights to the NFL here and will not only stream 3-4 games per round and all playoff games but also will stream the redzone channel.

Just wanted to share that happy bit of news
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #1044
Thomkal
Head Coach

yay for Germany?

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-10-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #1045
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tyrod Taylor agrees to contract extension with Buffalo Bills
Old 08-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #1046
stevew
Hall Of Famer

seems like a reasonable gambit.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #1047
wustin
College Prospect

Wentz looked awful
Garoppolo looked fine
Bears' second string secondary looked like Rex Grossman could throw 300 yards against it.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #1048
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow Wentz out with fractured ribs.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-13-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #1049
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow Wentz out with fractured ribs.

Lets see what edp445 has to say about it.

*goes to check video*

As I expected, a profantity laced rant. lol!
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #1050
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I guess you could say he came and Wentz.. He must have been Wentzing in pain on the sideline. You Wentz some, you lose some.

FUCK EA