Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #1001
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Two teams with different philosophies is what I was after. Team 1 I would consider pass first stars. Team 2 I would consider shoot first stars or players that need the ball. Wondering the opinions on which team would be more successful.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #1002
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
In a no-defense era of basketball(stats were inflated with pace back then). This is where me being the same size as Jerry West would hurt him. Been on the court with Kobe and there is no way I could guard him or shoot over him.

Every time I watch a game from that era it's 2-3 passes for a 15 ft jumper. I don't think with today's defense (which is better than in 1970) that he could easily get off those shots.

I guess another factor is if it's a close game, who wants to shoot the last shot on team 1? Team 2 has at least 3 guys you would have to guard for that last shot.

Having Kobe take the majority of the shots for team 2 may be the worst possible scenario for team 2 since he is the least effective scorer of the entire bunch.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #1003
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Having Kobe take the majority of the shots for team 2 may be the worst possible scenario for team 2 since he is the least effective scorer of the entire bunch.

Kobe Bryant NBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Doesn't Kobe have a pretty high assist total in most NBA All-star games and shoot around 50%? I don't think he would take the most shots on the team (at his peak playing wise, not ego wise). At least Kobe never was the leader of a 5-3 Olympic team who had 2 "passers" on team 1.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 04-15-2016 at 10:28 AM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #1004
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Two teams with different philosophies is what I was after. Team 1 I would consider pass first stars. Team 2 I would consider shoot first stars or players that need the ball. Wondering the opinions on which team would be more successful.

Depends on the rules
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #1005
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyy
Every time I watch a game from that era it's 2-3 passes for a 15 ft jumper. I don't think with today's defense (which is better than in 1970) that he could easily get off those shots.

Well, this is where these kinds of discussions break down in my opinion. If someone like West(or Wilt, or whomever) came up in today's era, they would have been to a degree different players than they were because of the different circumstances. We just don't know how they would have adapted or if they would have been able to. Rule changes are part of it, evolution of the game is part of it, etc. The fact that West did what was effective in his day does not mean he would not have been able to adjust that to some degree to be effective in a different era -- it's really completely unknowable IMO.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #1006
wustin
College Prospect

Curry tweaked his ankle but that's probably a good thing for the Warriors. They'll 4-0 or 4-1 Houston with or without Curry anyways, so Curry will be getting some much needed rest since he's been playing out of mind the last 2 weeks.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #1007
whomario
Pro Starter

Playoff Thread is on: The Official 2016 NBA Playoffs Thread - Front Office Football Central
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote