Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #1001
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
[MBBF]Perhaps that Target is using the Kinect to automate incoming calls as it misunderstood you.[/MBBF]

Xbox, are you in stock?

Xbox, are you in stock?

Xbox? Xbox?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1002
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lost in all these console releases are the big Wii U releases. Did anyone pick them up?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #1003
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to pick up a Wii U this year (which would surprise the hell out of me 2 weeks ago) but the fiance loves playing mario together and enjoys wii fit and the party games. I'm hoping that it may go on sale next week for black friday, but I don't really know if a)New consoles go on sale for black friday b)retailers in canada will do much by way of promotions because our thanksgiving is in october and black friday isn't really a thing here.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #1004
chadritt
High School Varsity

The new Zelda game is out for the 3DS, i might pick that up.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #1005
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No word from Microsoft on how to fix the broken disc drive issue. Also, IGN reporting that one of their units has gone down with the same problem.

Microsoft Has No Clear Solution For Xbox One Disc Drive Issues

Xbox One Early Adopters Reporting Hardware Problems - IGN
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #1006
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
The new Zelda game is out for the 3DS, i might pick that up.

Nice, didn't realize that was already coming out.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #1007
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I'm going to pick up a Wii U this year (which would surprise the hell out of me 2 weeks ago) but the fiance loves playing mario together and enjoys wii fit and the party games. I'm hoping that it may go on sale next week for black friday, but I don't really know if a)New consoles go on sale for black friday b)retailers in canada will do much by way of promotions because our thanksgiving is in october and black friday isn't really a thing here.

I could see this happening at some level.

You Know What? I'm Getting a Wii U
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #1008
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

How bad has it been for EA this week? First the Battlefield 4 issues, now an open letter of apology from NBA Live 14 executive producer. How did they not see this coming, or did they and simply knew they'd sell copies anyway?

Letter from NBA LIVE 14 Executive Producer Sean O’Brien | NBA Live | EA SPORTS
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1009
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

First impression of the Xbox - it's takes a long ass time to install a game...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #1010
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I second what CleBrownsfan said above.

Set-up was pretty cool, the snap feature is pretty damn cool, running the tv through it is awesome and I like the menu.

Most importantly, despite my accent, the X-Box recognizes and understands me. All-in-all, a great start.

Installing Ryse now and so we'll see. I did the Kinect Sports Pre-Season game and it was pretty impressive. My 4 year old heard all the laughing and came down to join in.

Oh, and this thing is freaking quiet, sheesh.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #1011
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I second what CleBrownsfan said above.

Nevermind, it's letting me play while it downloads all the rest.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #1012
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nevermind, it's letting me play while it downloads all the rest.

Yeah, I was in Forza getting started at something like 22%. FWIW, I think I mentioned earlier, but NBA2k14 on the PS4 was the same.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #1013
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The voice commands are really nice and easy to use (although I've got to get a list of all the possible commands).

The Kinect seems like it's going to be VERY popular with the family as I've been ordered to get Just Dance 2014, Zoo Tycoon and Kinect Sports Rivals.

For me, I'll likely pick up Madden and Assassin's Creed to go with Battlefield and Rome. I'm only maybe a half hour into Rome but it is pretty darn beautiful and the fighting in it is pretty intuitive. I've heard that it is short and repetitive though so we'll see.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #1014
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Second impression - Kinect still sucks.

Had tons of fun last night playing Dead Rising - games F'n insane! Kids are enjoying Angry Birds now (I dished out $40 for a game I usually spend $2 on IOS)
Played a little bit of Forza this morning. As expected - graphics and detail of the cars are amazing!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #1015
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The voice commands are really nice and easy to use (although I've got to get a list of all the possible commands).

The Kinect seems like it's going to be VERY popular with the family as I've been ordered to get Just Dance 2014, Zoo Tycoon and Kinect Sports Rivals.

For me, I'll likely pick up Madden and Assassin's Creed to go with Battlefield and Rome. I'm only maybe a half hour into Rome but it is pretty darn beautiful and the fighting in it is pretty intuitive. I've heard that it is short and repetitive though so we'll see.

Thank you.. impressions.. keep em coming!

I'm thinking a week or so after Christmas I'll be making my decision..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #1016
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Second impression - Kinect still sucks.

Had tons of fun last night playing Dead Rising - games F'n insane! Kids are enjoying Angry Birds now (I dished out $40 for a game I usually spend $2 on IOS)
Played a little bit of Forza this morning. As expected - graphics and detail of the cars are amazing!

$40 for Angry Birds? What?!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #1017
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got a pretty good run of PS4 in last night.

-Having Twitch on the console system is a HUGE benefit. Too often, you've had to rely on other people's words to describe a game. Twitch is super-easy to use on the PS4, whether you want to watch streams or create a stream. The great benefit from my perspective is that you can pop in and watch someone play a game to firm up what you've heard about the game. I watched a couple of Madden streams. Within 5 minutes, it was obvious that it's not even remotely close to a next-gen version of the game. Character models are bad, they seem to show the coaches ALL THE TIME and the terrible AI in the secondary is still there. That 5 minute stream saved me $60 of pain. I anticipate that feature will save me hundreds of dollars in impulse purchases on games I might think about buying.

-Resogun is a fantastic little game, especially considering its free. Single player is good, but co-op with a friend is great stuff.

-Contrast is another great game given the low, low price of free. Good game if you're looking to slow down the tempo a bit and just explore. It's a bit old-school in that regard. Simple, yet a good challenge.

-My kids LOVE the Playroom. Saw it when Jimmy Fallon demonstrated it on the show, but it's even better in person. Mindless fun, but that's what great about it.

-NBA 2K14 is an awfully good challenge. I've struggled on the simulation level. I did feel better watching some of the Twitch streams of the game as others were struggling just as much as I was. With that said, there's no question that these are next-gen level graphics and presentation. Everything that I didn't see in Madden is in this game in spades. I've never had so much fun being so bad at a game.

Still haven't even cracked the seal yet on Killzone, but I think that may end up being the best of the bunch judging from early impressions. Hoping to play that tomorrow when I have the day off.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #1018
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Going to be VERY interesting to see the sales figures after this launch. MS announced that they moved 1M units on launch day worldwide (all 13 countries released on launch day). Meanwhile, Sony moved the same amount on launch day just in North America alone and have the European launch coming later this week. Key for both companies is going to be how well they can resupply for Black Friday, as everything on the shelves is going to move that day.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #1019
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
dola

Going to be VERY interesting to see the sales figures after this launch. MS announced that they moved 1M units on launch day worldwide (all 13 countries released on launch day). Meanwhile, Sony moved the same amount on launch day just in North America alone and have the European launch coming later this week. Key for both companies is going to be how well they can resupply for Black Friday, as everything on the shelves is going to move that day.

They both moved every console they manufactured and put on shelves. These sales numbers mean nothing. No numbers matter until the consoles are in better supply.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #1020
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Atleast some Wal-Marts are hoarding PS4's until their Black Friday event. Had it confirmed from employees at my two closest Wal-Marts that they have PS4's in the back and aren't allowed to sell them until 6p Thanksgiving day, the start of their "event."

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #1021
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

So we went to Wal-Mart today and my console has officially been co-opted. Interestingly enough, I don't if from returns or what, but they had two PS4s and an X-Box 1 behind the counter and they were all sold by the time I left the electronics department.

Anyway, in terms of the co-opting, it was decided that we needed a second controller, plug and play kits so nobody would worry about "running down Dad's batteries" and five games:

Zoo Tycoon
Lego's Marvel Super Heroes
Just Dance 2014
and then for me: Assassin's Creed and Madden

I did play some Battlefield 4 this morning (I've always been a COD guy) and I have to say that it's amazing how expansive the areas of battle are, even in just campaign play. I'm used to COD which is much more like being on a rail and tighter quarters and this is totally different. It adds a new challenge and is pretty awesome. A lot more strategy is necessary thus far than my usual run 'n' gun strategy from COD's campaigns.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #1022
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- Just saw Dubb's post, maybe these consoles leaked out from their Black Friday stock then.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #1023
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola- Just saw Dubb's post, maybe these consoles leaked out from their Black Friday stock then.

Could be anything from how rural my locations are, to a misunderstanding, or even just a regional thing. Not for sure, struck me as a little bit odd, but I was told they are in the back and definitely not for sale until the Black Friday Thanksgiving event.

I'm still on my hunt for a PS4. I did pick up my first game as the Skylander's starter pack for $37 at Wal-Mart was too good to pass up. It's a game I basically am forced to buy each year anyway, so getting it that cheap was a good deal for me. Just need that damn PS4 now.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #1024
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
They both moved every console they manufactured and put on shelves. These sales numbers mean nothing. No numbers matter until the consoles are in better supply.

It actually matters quite a bit. The reports that have come out thus far indicate that the PS4 is in much better supply than the Xbox One. We're going to find that out over the next month or so. If Sony can keep the supply going at a high level, they're going to ride a significant wave of momentum into next year.

It obviously doesn't help that the disc drive issue appears to be a continuing problem. Kotaku is reporting that they continue to hear from people with issues and that MS's customer service is having issues handling the problems. MS needs to get out there and address it publicly. Keeping silent isn't the best way to handle it.

Reports Of Xbox One Disc Drive Issues Increase
Old 11-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1025
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
It actually matters quite a bit. The reports that have come out thus far indicate that the PS4 is in much better supply than the Xbox One. We're going to find that out over the next month or so. If Sony can keep the supply going at a high level, they're going to ride a significant wave of momentum into next year.

It obviously doesn't help that the disc drive issue appears to be a continuing problem. Kotaku is reporting that they continue to hear from people with issues and that MS's customer service is having issues handling the problems. MS needs to get out there and address it publicly. Keeping silent isn't the best way to handle it.

And the PS4 Blue Ring of Death is growing as well.

The had a whole assembly line that was shipped to amazon that was deemed defective.

It swings both ways here MBBF. I know you are a PS4 fanboy and I slant towards M$ products more than most here, but you have to admit the launch for both consoles hasn't been spectacular in regards to stability.

Neither console is disappearing anywhere soon and sales will be at a sharp clip for both up until Christmas and just after. The strength of one over the other I don't think will be determined until the summer when we roll out of the holiday frenzy and get into a more sustainable market.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #1026
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
And the PS4 Blue Ring of Death is growing as well.

The had a whole assembly line that was shipped to amazon that was deemed defective.

It swings both ways here MBBF. I know you are a PS4 fanboy and I slant towards M$ products more than most here, but you have to admit the launch for both consoles hasn't been spectacular in regards to stability.

Neither console is disappearing anywhere soon and sales will be at a sharp clip for both up until Christmas and just after. The strength of one over the other I don't think will be determined until the summer when we roll out of the holiday frenzy and get into a more sustainable market.

Link? They've had no further reports since they isolated the issue to Amazon shipments. Also, Sony reported that mishandled shipping was the reason for the malfunctions, not the units themselves. Amazon has said nothing to indicate otherwise. It was an issue, but Sony has handled it pretty well considering that it apparently wasn't Sony's issue.

I agree that the console war won't be won in the first few months, but there's no question it can be lost.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #1027
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It matters not one bit at all. They are all going to sell every console they can until they hit the point where supply catches up. Then it will matter. Nothing that is happening right now matters from a sales perspective. It doesn't matter how you want to spin it.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #1028
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Link? They've had no further reports since they isolated the issue to Amazon shipments. Also, Sony reported that mishandled shipping was the reason for the malfunctions, not the units themselves. Amazon has said nothing to indicate otherwise. It was an issue, but Sony has handled it pretty well considering that it apparently wasn't Sony's issue.

I agree that the console war won't be won in the first few months, but there's no question it can be lost.

You can't put down the XBone for defective issues showing a Youtube video of one guy with a disc error, and then be a Sony apologist when any of us can pull the same videos of defective PS4. It's the same thing. I've read this thread from the beginning and have never been that offended by you being on one side or the other, but this time you really come across as a fanboy.

Both consoles have issues with the initial batches.

If we really believe Sony's excuse about the PS4 getting damaged during shipping by Amazon, does that mean it's buyer beware for the remainder of this console lifecycle because the PS4 is apparently made of the most fragile components that can get damaged even through all the styrofoam and corrugate?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #1029
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, played a couple more of our games.

Just Dance 2014: The wife loves it, says it is her favorite yet despite not having the best soundtrack. It works beautifully with the Kinect and, actually, I had a lot of fun playing with it.

Zoo Tycoon: Surprisingly fun as well. My son really liked when he got to reach up to feed the animals. I was concerned about the Kinect here but it worked well again.

I still have 3 games we haven't played yet: Assassin's Creed, Madden and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

I can say this, Battlefield is going to get a lot of my time based on what I've seen early in the campaign.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #1030
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

"Shipping damage" is often an insurable failure

Not that uncommon of a claim in the electronic component world especially if their insurance is set up right.

My son wants a console for Christmas, I have purchased one of each but will be keeping one and selling the other.

I had several PS1s over the product life cycle and a PS2, then we got an xbox 360 because its what all his friend already had.

Really looking for objective feedback on both and finding only glimmers scattered about.

Anyone got any other links to good independent reviews? Sorry but I discount fan boys opinions as a whole on everything. When I read a review and it lists 5 AWESOME!!!! amazing!!! benefits and not a single minor aggravation I assume either the reviewer is paid I.E. its a sales pitch or alternately its the typical purchase pride response.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1031
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If it matters, we both enjoy football and racing games, he loves FPS but strictly online play dont know that hes ever fired up a campaign mode. I play along sometimes but it wont be decision maker.

We dont currently have a netflix account and never have so... integration there is a non factor.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1032
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If it matters, we both enjoy football and racing games, he loves FPS but strictly online play dont know that hes ever fired up a campaign mode. I play along sometimes but it wont be decision maker.

We dont currently have a netflix account and never have so... integration there is a non factor.

I don't think there is a definitive review. It's a Playstation and it's an XBox. They are both going to continue to do what they did well last generation. It's extremely likely that you are looking at another stalemate this generation, or extremely close to it.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #1033
Izulde
Head Coach

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the XBone will have the better selection of FPS games.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #1034
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I thought I remember reading somewhere that the XBone will have the better selection of FPS games.

Too early to tell now what will be better for FPS over the life of the console, but the XBox One is probably the better bet at this point. The 360 had the better FPS library last gen with the Halo series, plus the first Titanfall game won't be on PlayStation. Though if he's mostly playing online the system his friends have may be more important than the games on it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #1035
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I have a couple friends who play console FPS games at a near-competitive level who are both extremely loyal to Xbox, I know nothing about the FPS scene so that's as anecdotal as it gets.

Racing is simple... do you or your son have any loyalty/preference towards Gran Turismo or Forza? If so, then your decision is made for you.

Quote:
It's extremely likely that you are looking at another stalemate this generation, or extremely close to it.

+1
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #1036
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
You can't put down the XBone for defective issues showing a Youtube video of one guy with a disc error, and then be a Sony apologist when any of us can pull the same videos of defective PS4. It's the same thing. I've read this thread from the beginning and have never been that offended by you being on one side or the other, but this time you really come across as a fanboy.

Both consoles have issues with the initial batches.

If we really believe Sony's excuse about the PS4 getting damaged during shipping by Amazon, does that mean it's buyer beware for the remainder of this console lifecycle because the PS4 is apparently made of the most fragile components that can get damaged even through all the styrofoam and corrugate?

It's pretty clear from comments in this thread that people have learned nothing from the last generation as to how these things work. There is no question that this war can be lost early on. Sony had no business losing the last generation, but they did thanks to some early PR gaffes. The roles have been reversed thus far this generation and it appears that MS's defense is silence. I'm not sure that's any better than putting your foot in your mouth like Sony did last generation.

As for damage, you're always best off purchasing at retail. Less chance of damage and easy return locally. That hasn't changed over the generations of consoles.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #1037
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's way too early to tell about better game libraries on this generation. Right now you're throwing a dart and grabbing one based on past performance. I guess the best idea (save for waiting until next Christmas) is see what the friends are getting.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #1038
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's way too early to tell about better game libraries on this generation. Right now you're throwing a dart and grabbing one based on past performance. I guess the best idea (save for waiting until next Christmas) is see what the friends are getting.

SI

March is when we're going to see a flurry of new games made specifically for each system. We'll get a great feel for what each of these systems can really do and will also know the upcoming blockbusters that are coming later in 2014.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1039
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
March is when we're going to see a flurry of new games made specifically for each system. We'll get a great feel for what each of these systems can really do and will also know the upcoming blockbusters that are coming later in 2014.

And it will still be way too early to tell about better game libraries on this generation.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1040
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

It has been said a million times, but as a guy who has paid for XBox live since it's inception and felt like it was a requirement and a bit of a rip-off, buying PS+ was a different kind of experience. I picked up it up yesterday, mostly because I'm planning on getting a PS4 and for the price I paid, I almost feel like I ALREADY have my money back. My free game haul last night include:

PS4 Games(you can go online and claim these without having a Ps4):
Contrast
RESOGUN

PS3 Games:
Binary Domain
ibb & obb
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Hotline Miami
Poker Night 2
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Galaga Legions DX
Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball
BIT. TRIP Runner 2
Uncharted 3
XCom: Enemy Unknown
Littlebig Planet Karting

Also included were seven PS Vita games including Uncharted Golden Abyss. I do not own a PS Vita, but I went ahead and claimed those games as well, since, you never know. I don't see myself ever owning one, but I could one day.

Holy crap! I had heard that PS+ was a good deal, but to me this is kind of crazy! I immediately downloaded Dragon's Dogma, Hotline Miami, Uncharted, and Little Big Planet Karting. I'd like to see Microsoft get on this bandwagon. With Steam/PC having the giant sells and Sony having the PS+ with giant game hauls for a low price, I feel like Microsoft is definitely losing ground in this stand point. They started to give away games, but my free games I've gotten with Gold hasn't been anything like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #1041
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On the shipping topic, I can tell you that of the boxes received at the office, those shipped by Microsoft directly were packed really tight, while the Xboxes and PS4's shipped by Amazon were very loosely packed. We had one person get their PS4 from Amazon in a box much larger than the PS4 itself (slightly higher, somewhat longer, and much wider) with one small strip of those plastic bubble things, probably at least half air, and the top tape was mostly ripped. We're amazed it arrived at all. The Amazon Xboxes were a bit better packed (maybe the dimensions meant they could use a smaller box? Xbox is more compact, while PS4 is a long thin box) but still plenty of air.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #1042
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

If you are buying now, looking at the past releases of the in house game developers will give you some clue what to expect.

I don't think we will see many exclusives from third party developers. If Titanfall (Xbox exclusive) is a hit, the sequel will be on every platform known to man as EA tries to build it into a new Call of Duty/Battlefield Franchise.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #1043
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
On the shipping topic, I can tell you that of the boxes received at the office, those shipped by Microsoft directly were packed really tight, while the Xboxes and PS4's shipped by Amazon were very loosely packed. We had one person get their PS4 from Amazon in a box much larger than the PS4 itself (slightly higher, somewhat longer, and much wider) with one small strip of those plastic bubble things, probably at least half air, and the top tape was mostly ripped. We're amazed it arrived at all. The Amazon Xboxes were a bit better packed (maybe the dimensions meant they could use a smaller box? Xbox is more compact, while PS4 is a long thin box) but still plenty of air.

+1 here, I was surprised at how poorly packaged the X-Box was as well. Tape ripping on the Amazon outer box and one thin sliver of air packing that was half empty already. Amazon really needs to look at how they do this.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 11-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1044
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Got mine directly from Microsoft and it was very well packaged. Can't wait to finally get time to play it tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #1045
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Got mine directly from Microsoft and it was very well packaged. Can't wait to finally get time to play it tomorrow.

Get on with it already!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #1046
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Holy crap! I had heard that PS+ was a good deal, but to me this is kind of crazy! I immediately downloaded Dragon's Dogma, Hotline Miami, Uncharted, and Little Big Planet Karting. I'd like to see Microsoft get on this bandwagon. With Steam/PC having the giant sells and Sony having the PS+ with giant game hauls for a low price, I feel like Microsoft is definitely losing ground in this stand point. They started to give away games, but my free games I've gotten with Gold hasn't been anything like this.

I think this portion of the revenue stream has been overlooked in the release of the consoles. Seeing this article from Gamestop emphasizes just how much revenue Sony is pumping into the coffers that they weren't before, especially given that they aren't even selling this console at a loss. And as you mention, it's such a huge benefit that they offer when compared to what the competitors offer on their service.

GameStop - One third of all PS+ subscription sales came from PS4 launch | GoingSony
Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1047
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Forgot to mention this for PS3/PS4 owners, but there's a Black Friday deal on PS+ at major retailers. $29.99 for a year of PS+ with a limit of two per person. I plan on picking up two and adding them to my account. $60 for two years especially given the games it offers and the online requirement for PS4 is an absolute steal.

PS Plus

Quote:
There will also be a special Black Friday deal for PlayStation Plus at select retailers nationwide. Pick up 1 year of PS Plus for only $29.99* — that’s 40% off the regular price of $49.99. With PS Plus, you’ll get new games every month with Instant Game Collection. You’ll also get access to online multiplayer on the PS4 system. Best of all, one membership will cover you across your PS4, PS3, and PS Vita… for just $29.99* on Black Friday only.

*Limit 2 per person, per purchase. Offer valid 11/29/13 only, while supplies last.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...a-and-ps-plus/
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #1048
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And as you mention, it's such a huge benefit that they offer when compared to what the competitors offer on their service.

While I agree with this, and I mentioned this is my post, I need to add that something is wonky about the internet on the PS3. I'm not alone in my issue, infact, for a long time I was working with a group of players on another site to attempt to fix our issue with the PS3 internet being extremely slow. After about a month, I managed to get my internet speed through the PS3 to increase from roughly 0.08 down, 0.02 up to roughly 8 down and 2 up. It was a progressive thing, and took more work than I should have put in. I have a 50 mbps line and get basically full speeds on every device in my home from laptops, Xbox, Wii, Iphones, Google/Amazon tablets. I have never gotten close to that on my PS3. I'm putting alot of faith in Sony here. If they burn me on internet speed through their device again, I'm done. They won't get me back.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-25-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1049
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sony is likely losing money on each PS4 sold. But the good news for them is the amount is nowhere near as much as the loss on each PS3 at launch.

Report: $399 PlayStation 4 costs about $381 to build | Ars Technica

Quote:
Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable starting point given the crazy amounts some of these companies have lost in past generations.

I thought I read somewhere that MS is selling the X1 at a small gain, no?

Quote:
I think this portion of the revenue stream has been overlooked in the release of the consoles. Seeing this article from Gamestop emphasizes just how much revenue Sony is pumping into the coffers that they weren't before, especially given that they aren't even selling this console at a loss. And as you mention, it's such a huge benefit that they offer when compared to what the competitors offer on their service.

GameStop - One third of all PS+ subscription sales came from PS4 launch | GoingSony

Wow, only took Sony one week to not sell their consoles at a loss.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #1050
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big ouch for Nintendo. One year of sales of Wii U = one weekend of sales for next gen consoles. Sony will likely do the same this weekend. This has to be terribly discouraging if you're a Nintendo employee or even a fan.

Xbox One sells 150k units in 48 hours in UK | Games industry news | MCV