Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #1001
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Still doesn't answer the question. If they tanked, why in the world would they go 12-5-3 down the stretch? Nearly cost them Crosby 2 seasons later!!! Thank God Bettman fixed that.

You point to the team that moved Kovalev and Straka for garbage...but they got better from that point forward. Wouldn't a tanking team have gone 3-12-5?

After the lockout, they signed Gonchar (5M), Palffy (4M?), Recchi (2M), LeClair(2M), and brought back Lemieux (1M). Not positive on Palffy's salary. But adding $14M in salary is surely the sign of a team that planned on tanking. I bet they had it all in the works for Palffy to quit halfway through the season, Lemiuex's heart to fail, and LeClair to be waste, just to appear as if they were trying to win, but secretly eyeing another top 5 pick. You can slam the the front office for bringing in poor talent, but a tanking team would not have brought in those players.

And I'll never understand they could have found ways. Pay contracts they could not afford and then fold? Or hold on to the guys at the trade deadline, get nothing in return, those players sign deals with the Flyers, Rangers or Habs for double what anyone else was offering.

Don't become another angry Flyers fan. When management had blank checks to write, but couldn't bring a championship, did you have an issue with using (abusing?) that system? How is that any different than using the system in place to award bad teams higher draft picks?

What part of before the lockout are you missing? I understand they made signings after the lockout cause 1) there was a cap floor, and 2) there was revenue sharing. Don't kid yourself that they wouldn't have put out another crap filled team out there to get some more high picks. Before the lockout, 28, 27, and 23 wins with AHL talent. Kovalev and Straka for garbage...but you forgot the best one...Jagr for nothing. Yes everyone in the world knew Jagr wanted to get out but everyone in the world knew that the Flyers wanted to dump Lindros. They still got actual players back in return. That trade to the caps was a joke.

They brought back Lemieux?? They were already paying him to be the Owner from the money they still owed him and he had vested interest because if the team wasn't going to make it, he needed to get some money or some return.

If I am an angry Flyers fan then you are just another one of those disillusional pens fans who just can't admit your team tanked. You don't get 5 top 5 picks IN A ROW without trying. And yes I know they traded up for MAF but they only traded up 2 spots.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 08-26-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #1002
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
You're honestly saying you'd rather have Timonen on the point in a playoff game than Gonchar? You clearly think Timonen is good but better than Gonchar? Look at their career numbers. It isn't even that close.

If you are talking about offensive defensman, I'm going with Gonchar, but adding in the defensive aspect, I'll take Timonen.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #1003
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have no problem saying Gonch is not in the realm of Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger, etc. But he's a #1 in Pittsburgh.

Horcoff is a #1 center in Edmonton but does that mean he's really a #1 center?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #1004
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

Well said.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #1005
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

He would be in Toronto

I would take Gonchar as my #1 pp guy.....but i would take Timmo to play a regular shift.

IMHO Gonchar is a 3-5 guy where Timmo is a 2/3

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #1006
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

One team's got Gonchar, one team's got Timonen, and these teams' fans are arguing. At least you're not throwing one-eyed Colin "Bundle Dick" White out there every night. Get a grip.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #1007
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sak, you can argue now that they got nothing for Jagr, but at that time, it was looked upon as the Pens getting plenty of young talent. The fact that Kris "the next Ron Francis" never panned out doesn't prove they tanked. Are you saying they purposely took lesser talent for Jagr in order to get higher picks?

You missed the 3rd point of spending $ after the lockout-- they were out of bankruptcy. Complain all you want, but what kind of sense does it make to spend money you don't have?

As far as Gonchar, he's not a shut down guy, but until missing most of this season, and then getting injured in the playoffs, he and Orpik were regularly matched up against the opponent's top line, not Scuderi/Gill.

People saying he plays no D are proving they just go by what they hear and not the on ice product. Gonchar was worse than Andy Delmore when he started out in Washington, but he's an above average defender now.

I'll give Timonen the edge defensively, but Gonchar is vastly superior offensively. Timonen finished with like 40 points on a team that had one of the top 2 or 3 PP this season.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 08-26-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #1008
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sak, you can argue now that they got nothing for Jagr, but at that time, it was looked upon as the Pens getting plenty of young talent. The fact that Kris "the next Ron Francis" never panned out doesn't prove they tanked. Are you saying they purposely took lesser talent for Jagr in order to get higher picks?

Plenty of young talent? Yikes man. Sorry can't agree with you there. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #1009
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You missed the 3rd point of spending $ after the lockout-- they were out of bankruptcy. Complain all you want, but what kind of sense does it make to spend money you don't have?

As far as Gonchar, he's not a shut down guy, but until missing most of this season, and then getting injured in the playoffs, he and Orpik were regularly matched up against the opponent's top line, not Scuderi/Gill.

People saying he plays no D are proving they just go by what they hear and not the on ice product. Gonchar was worse than Andy Delmore when he started out in Washington, but he's an above average defender now.

I'll give Timonen the edge defensively, but Gonchar is vastly superior offensively. Timonen finished with like 40 points on a team that had one of the top 2 or 3 PP this season.

I don't understand why you keep talking about after the lockout. Sak has been pretty clear he's talking about the years leading up to the lockout.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #1010
samifan24
Pro Starter

Patrick Kane's punishment for beating up a cabbie is to write an apology letter? Seriously?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #1011
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Some money changed hands behind the scenes. That much is certain.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #1012
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Some money changed hands behind the scenes. That much is certain.

Yeah, the cabbie finally handed over the two dimes.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #1013
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, the cabbie finally handed over the two dimes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #1014
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't understand why you keep talking about after the lockout. Sak has been pretty clear he's talking about the years leading up to the lockout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sak
Arguing with Pens fans about them tanking is like arguing with Red Wings fans about Osgood. Open your eyes man, your team tanked for the better half of this decade. Four years of barely over 20 wins is bad. And look at the guys on those rosters...bad. There is no way your team should be so shitty for that long that you get all those good picks. And please don't give me the bankruptcy excuse because they could've found ways.

Prior to the lockout, they were in bankruptcy. He'll contend they should have spent money still. I'll contend they shouldn't that will never change.

I'll never understand the thinking of "spend every cent today, no matter what happens to us tomorrow" thinking. Sure, they'll could have held onto Jagr, Kovy and Straka for another season...and then folded.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #1015
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Plenty of young talent? Yikes man. Sorry can't agree with you there. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Prospects don't pan out (see next next quote below)

Look back at what the consensus was on these guys when the trade was made. It's not like Craig Patrick said "we don't care what you send back, as long as you include that $10M"

If that was the case, why not ask for mid range draft picks?

Just caught this part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yes everyone in the world knew Jagr wanted to get out but everyone in the world knew that the Flyers wanted to dump Lindros. They still got actual players back in return. That trade to the caps was a joke.

I'll give you a solid player in Kim Johnson, but what was the rest? Picks and Pavel Brendl? Who was worse, if that is possible, than Beech by a mile.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #1016
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A couple of Vancouver moves.

They sign Matthieu Schneider.

They also traded center Patrick White and defenseman Daniel Rahimi to San Jose in exchange for defensemen Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich.

White and Rahimi are younger players/prospect types. San Jose was up against the cap, so this move helps them there.

This also helps Vancouver blue-line. Schneider was pretty impressive offensively for Montreal last year before getting hurt. That said, he's old and has had a number of injuries of late. Lukowich seems servicable, but, from what I can recall, either was injured or entirely invisible on San Jose. Ehrhoff is decent enough, but always seemed to be more potential than anything else. Vancouver's blue-line will be pretty crowded with: Bieska, Mitchell, Salo, Elder, O'Brien and these three additions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #1017
The Jackal
Coordinator

That's big cap relief. 4.95 million off the books for two prospects that aren't going to make the roster (presumably)? Looks like they still want Heatley or Kessel.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #1018
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
So it sounds like the Oilers will be making an announcement on Monday morning about their new arena that is expected to be built in downtown Edmonton (right next to my office - I should have a good view of it going up! )
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #1019
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

NHLPA fires Paul Kelly.

In other news, the NHL will now have another lengthy and disastrous lockout at the end of this CBA.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #1020
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

JR for NHLPA Pres!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #1021
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
NHLPA fires Paul Kelly.

In other news, the NHL will now have another lengthy and disastrous lockout at the end of this CBA.

I'm not sure what was so disastrous about the last lockout. The league is in FAR better shape than it was pre-lockout, both in financial terms and in the quality of the product on the ice. That lockout was the best thing that could have happened to the NHL.

Now, another lockout? I'm not so sure; I don't think it's a good idea. But the last one was goodness.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #1022
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm not sure what was so disastrous about the last lockout. The league is in FAR better shape than it was pre-lockout, both in financial terms and in the quality of the product on the ice. That lockout was the best thing that could have happened to the NHL.

Now, another lockout? I'm not so sure; I don't think it's a good idea. But the last one was goodness.

Too soon. The NHL has just recently re-acquired a good portion of the fan-base they lost during the lockout. Another one so soon could really kill the league.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #1023
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Ask a casual American hockey fan about that.

Oh right, there aren't any left.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-31-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #1024
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

The league isn't in better shape from a financial and quality product position?

Now, if we can just get some better management in the NHL offices. Going to a crappy, unseen network like VS (with a lower pay day), pushing to make failing markets work regardless, ect. aren't going to get the NHL back.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #1025
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sometimes you need to thin the herd to make it stronger.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #1026
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Too soon. The NHL has just recently re-acquired a good portion of the fan-base they lost during the lockout. Another one so soon could really kill the league.

Fair enough, you are probably right. Another impasse would likey be bad news at this point.

I stand by my overall point, though, that the last lockout was very beneficial to the league as a whole, and was sorely needed. The worst thing the NHL could have done back then was to simply carry on with the status quo.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #1027
bbor
Pro Starter

I'd like to see Balsillie as NHLPA prez.That fuck Bettman good.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #1028
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Nothing about Tanguay in here?

Seeing 1 year/ $2.5M to Tampa. That is a pretty steep drop from last year's $5M+ salary. He still put up 41 pts in 50 games for Montreal before injuries ended his year.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #1029
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing about Tanguay in here?

Seeing 1 year/ $2.5M to Tampa. That is a pretty steep drop from last year's $5M+ salary. He still put up 41 pts in 50 games for Montreal before injuries ended his year.

fun fact - the two players from the 1998 draft with the most career points? Vinny Lecavalier (669) and Alex Tanguay (580).

Brad Richards is 4th.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #1030
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks agree on 12-year, $64 million contract extension - ESPN

Looks like Luongo is gonna be a Canuck for a long time. And here I thought he didn't like Vancouver. Interesting that they'd include a no-trade clause in there as well on such a long-term deal.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #1031
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks agree on 12-year, $64 million contract extension - ESPN

Looks like Luongo is gonna be a Canuck for a long time. And here I thought he didn't like Vancouver. Interesting that they'd include a no-trade clause in there as well on such a long-term deal.

I wonder if the NHL will begin an investigation into this contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #1032
Logan
Head Coach

Ok, now I love the guy.

Quote:
Donald Brashear got his first taste of Ranger Nation last night - and true to form, he counterpunched.

As Brashear was introduced by emcee Dave Maloney last night to about 350 ticketholders at the Theater lobby at Madison Square Garden, the enforcer was met by more than a smattering of boos. From the stage, Maloney tried to deflect the detractors - still sore from Brashear's high hit that felled Blair Betts in the playoffs against the Caps last season - but the new Ranger did that on his own.

"For those of you who are booing," said Brashear, "I'll hit you one by one." And just like that, the laughter defused some of the tension.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #1033
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Ok, now I love the guy.

He'll do it too. Just watch him.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #1034
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The best part about Brashear is watching him try to skate up the ice. He has to be the worst skater in NHL history. Paul Kariya after a concussion looked more graceful.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #1035
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The best part about Brashear is watching him try to skate up the ice. He has to be the worst skater in NHL history. Paul Kariya after a concussion looked more graceful.

I dunno, Stu Grimson was a terrible skater.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #1036
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Anyone hearing anything about the debacle that has become Direct TV vs. Comcast over the status of the Versus Network? Last night I noticed that my Direct TV channel 603 was broadcasting a message about Comcast's ridiculous negotiating demands and that Versus was essentially blocked because of Comcast's stubbornness. The end result is that until this dispute is settled, Direct TV subscribers no longer have Versus and therefore only have the NHL Network for hockey. I can only hope this gets settled well before the playoffs start.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #1037
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Anyone hearing anything about the debacle that has become Direct TV vs. Comcast over the status of the Versus Network? Last night I noticed that my Direct TV channel 603 was broadcasting a message about Comcast's ridiculous negotiating demands and that Versus was essentially blocked because of Comcast's stubbornness. The end result is that until this dispute is settled, Direct TV subscribers no longer have Versus and therefore only have the NHL Network for hockey. I can only hope this gets settled well before the playoffs start.

Last I heard both sides had stopped talking. I am sure they will come to a resolution at some point. I do hope it's before the playoffs for certain. These types of disputes are incredibly annoying. Comcast and the Big Ten Network had similar row a year or two ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #1038
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Last I heard both sides had stopped talking. I am sure they will come to a resolution at some point. I do hope it's before the playoffs for certain. These types of disputes are incredibly annoying. Comcast and the Big Ten Network had similar row a year or two ago.

DirecTV, Comcast fight over Versus distribution -- latimes.com

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1039
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The wonderful irony here is that Comcast just got done with a very similar dispute with the NFL Network, except that time they were on the "receiving" end. Comcast even went so far as to place a banner on the NFL network channels indicating that their carrying of the network would be going away, similar to what DirecTV is doing now. I wonder if any of the braintrust over at Comcast even realize how ridiculous this is making them look. Before, they could at least pretend to be the victim...now, not so much.
Allegiances:
Awards:

Last edited by DataKing : 09-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1040
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

If it wasn't for Bettman's stupidity, the Versus network would not even be relevant. Comcast and Bettman make strange bedfellows methinks.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #1041
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

it's not like Joe Sakic's jersey retirement ceremony is going to be exclusively on Vs or anything.

oh wait.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #1042
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

A certain team's owner is the Chairman of Comcast....
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #1043
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I thought Comcast owned the Flyers, not Roberts personally.
Allegiances:
Awards:

Last edited by DataKing : 09-03-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #1044
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ed Snider owns the Flyers.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #1045
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Rob Ray was the worst NHL skater EVER.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #1046
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Peter Worrell begs to differ. He could not skate backwards while playing in the AHL.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #1047
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Rob Ray was the worst NHL skater EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Peter Worrell begs to differ. He could not skate backwards while playing in the AHL.

Good choices, however I stand by my previous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I dunno, Stu Grimson was a terrible skater.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #1048
bhlloy
Coordinator

Enough Stu Grimson bashing. He actually became a much better skater than Worrell and Ray towards the end of his career IMO, but I will concede that his first few years in the league were painfully bad. Still by far my favorite player ever though.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #1049
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Enough Stu Grimson bashing. He actually became a much better skater than Worrell and Ray towards the end of his career IMO, but I will concede that his first few years in the league were painfully bad. Still by far my favorite player ever though.

The Grim Reaper rocked.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #1050
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The Grim Reaper rocked.

Loved him when he was on the Whale.