Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #1001
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm rooting for the Blackhawks now. Oh, and Mark Recchi had surgery for a kidney stone the day before game seven and played in game seven. He also played with broken ribs. What a guy.

Damn. He spent a lot of time camped out in front of Cam Ward during the series and he was doing all that with a kidney stone brewing? (I imagine the ribs thing would be painful, yet somewhat tolerable with a flak jacket) It's amazing what men will go through to try to win the Cup. The NBA has its Willis Reed moment, but it seems like the NHL has at least one of them on every team each year in the playoffs and they don't make the least bit of noise about it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #1002
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My son has watched a bit of the playoffs with me and has asked to go to a game. Now my daughter wants to go, too. So I checked. Cheapest price for 4 tickets: $175 + $22 TicketMaster extortion. Each. So I'm looking at $800 BEFORE parking, hot dogs / popcorn, and souvenirs. Makes going to the circus or Disney On Ice look cheap.

So we'll take in a game early next season...

Even so, sales have been quite brisk. Tickets went up this morning and Game Three is pretty much sold out (nothing but really expensive ($300+) club seats and perhaps some singles elsewhere) and Game Four is getting there (pairs can be had way up in nosebleed).

I wish I had the money to spare myself, but I'll revisit the issue if they make it into the SCF because that would be a whole other kettle of fish, even if for only one game just to say that I've done it.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #1003
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
My son has watched a bit of the playoffs with me and has asked to go to a game. Now my daughter wants to go, too. So I checked. Cheapest price for 4 tickets: $175 + $22 TicketMaster extortion. Each. So I'm looking at $800 BEFORE parking, hot dogs / popcorn, and souvenirs. Makes going to the circus or Disney On Ice look cheap.

So we'll take in a game early next season...

Yeah they really jack up the price as they go deeper into the playoffs - the prices for Rounds 1 and 2 weren't terrible, but for Round 3 I'm paying more than double the normal price. In 2006 I went to two of the home Stanley Cup games (including Game 7) and those were ridiculously expensive - worth every penny though to see us win it on the home ice.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #1004
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Both have been pretty inconsistent so far IMO. Whitney has shown flashes of his offensive brilliance (when he's having one of those games where he's hitting all those crisp passes, he's dangerous and the power play really goes) but I wish he'd be a bit more physical.

Christensen is an enigma - he is clearly talented, but he also misses a lot of easy plays and just needs to shoot the damn puck sometimes. He's very easily pushed around and seems pretty unwilling to crash the net or work in the corners. For that reason, I don't see him staying on a Carlyle coached team for very long.

I think Pittsburgh will get the better of the trade long term because I really like Tangradi as a prospect, but I also think it was a move the Ducks needed to make. Kunitz just wasn't performing any more for whatever reason here.

That is by far Whitney's best attribute. He makes a great lead pass, and that should blend well with guys like Getzlaf and Ryan.

Christensen is very talented, but just doesn't get "it". Whatever that "it" is.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #1005
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Don't think I've seen it in this thread yet-

3 of the 4 remaining teams made coaching moves during the season.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #1006
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It is absolutely f'n wrong that there is no game tonight, but instead they start tomorrow afternoon. Don Cherry must be rolling over in his grave.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #1007
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Something else I noticed. Not sure if this was planned, requested, or just worked out this way.

The past two playoff seasons, the Pens have put up a huge bigscreen to allow people who can't get into the games to watch together. I believe some of the SCF games last year had nearly an additional 2000 people outside.

During the first two rounds of the playoffs this season, NBC games were not allowed to be shown on the bigscreen due to "contractual obligations".

This round, no Pens-Canes games are NBC games. The series has only one weekend date scheduled, next Saturday, and it's a 7pm start.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #1008
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it's likely just NBC would rather show Det/Chi. That series is sure to pull more viewers than Pit/Car (not Pittsburgh's fault, but rather Carolina's). Although Det/Chi would be a pretty hard combo to top no matter what.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #1009
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The annoying part of the 2-day breaks is that there are days with no hockey on. Seems like a huge gaffe on the part of the NHL: if you want to draw fans, make sure there is a game on every night. Tune in to Versus at 7:30PM and you're guaranteed to find a playoff hockey game on.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #1010
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The annoying part of the 2-day breaks is that there are days with no hockey on. Seems like a huge gaffe on the part of the NHL: if you want to draw fans, make sure there is a game on every night. Tune in to Versus at 7:30PM and you're guaranteed to find a playoff hockey game on.

Exactly- game every other day for both series and they're staggered so one starts tonight and one starts tomorrow night. Even with a travel day, they still don't have to play a game on the day of the plane flight.

That would guarantee May 29th end and the Stanley Cup Finals would start on the 31st or June 1st at worst. That's already too late but if Pens-Canes goes 7, they end June 2nd and the Finals wouldn't start until probably the 5th.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #1011
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, where is my Down Goes Brown preview?!? I won't know who to bet the mortgage on (if I had one) without it!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-16-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #1012
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think it's likely just NBC would rather show Det/Chi. That series is sure to pull more viewers than Pit/Car (not Pittsburgh's fault, but rather Carolina's). Although Det/Chi would be a pretty hard combo to top no matter what.

Det + Chi = 5,419,820 TV Households
Pit + Car = 2,237,140 TV Households
Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #1013
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Exactly- game every other day for both series and they're staggered so one starts tonight and one starts tomorrow night. Even with a travel day, they still don't have to play a game on the day of the plane flight.

That would guarantee May 29th end and the Stanley Cup Finals would start on the 31st or June 1st at worst. That's already too late but if Pens-Canes goes 7, they end June 2nd and the Finals wouldn't start until probably the 5th.

SI

I hate the way the NBA has the playoffs schedule. I hope the NHL doesn't fall into the same trap. Back-to-back games are a huge part of the season, don't take it away for the playoffs (well, put in long breaks between games).

The traveling shouldn't be a concern at it with the close distances.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #1014
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, where is my Down Goes Brown preview?!? I won't know who to bet the mortgage on (if I had one) without it!
Sorry, the well has run dry recently. I'm pretty much coasting now.

I'm picking Detroit vs Carolina in the finals, though. So go ahead and wager the mortgage on Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #1015
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pit + Car = 2,237,140 TV Households

You are missing all the Hartford fans that are rooting hard for Pittsburgh
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #1016
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fine

Pit + Car = 2,237,141 TV Households

Actually
Pit + Car + HAR = 3,252,130 TV Households
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #1017
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Sorry, the well has run dry recently. I'm pretty much coasting now.

I'm picking Detroit vs Carolina in the finals, though. So go ahead and wager the mortgage on Chicago and Pittsburgh.

What happened to mister spoiler tag? I miss him

SI

Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #1018
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Not that it excuses him or anything for the punch on Ward, but Scott Walker was apparently playing with a lot on his mind:

Scott Walker's wife has cervical cancer

Fortunately, the word is that it was caught early and should result in full recovery.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-16-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #1019
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

This is the way it used to be in the 80's. The NHL started catering to networks, specifically the American ones, and that was the end of that.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #1020
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278929

Quote:
Gary Bettman would prefer to see the Phoenix Coyotes move to Winnipeg than Hamilton, according to court documents filed as part of the NHL team's bankruptcy case.
A lawyer who works for Coyotes majority owner Jerry Moyes says the NHL commissioner told him that last month after he contacted the league to let it know that there was a Canadian purchaser who was interested in moving the team to southern Ontario.
In an affidavit filed Friday, Earl Scudder says that Bettman informed him Hamilton wasn't an ideal destination because Copps Coliseum is over 30 years old, saying "if the team did return to Canada, it would be to Winnipeg."

To pull the old 'fixed that for ya' FOFC tradition...

Quote:
"if the team did return to Canada, it would be over my dead body."
Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #1021
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Better change that to all of New England...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #1022
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I hate the way the NBA has the playoffs schedule. I hope the NHL doesn't fall into the same trap. Back-to-back games are a huge part of the season, don't take it away for the playoffs (well, put in long breaks between games).

The traveling shouldn't be a concern at it with the close distances.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at how spread out the conference finals series are. That's pretty rare for the NHL. I, too, hate how the NBA schedules series. It feels like each series takes a month to finish.

Instead of getting too upset by it, I will just assume the NHL was cognizant of the fact I will be in Europe for about a week at the end of May/early June and they didn't want me to miss any of the Finals. Thanks, Gary!

Game 1 Detroit/Chicago was pretty entertaining. Not surprisingly, the Wings came out a bit flat. Not only do they tend to do that, but it has to be hard coming down off that emotional high of a Game 7 in a series many Wings players (Babcock as well) said was one of the toughest they had ever been involved in.

They seemed to pick it up after the Cleary goal. This game reminded me a big of Game 1 in the Finals last year against Pittsburgh. I think Chicago will be able to adjust, but I think it was a bit of a wake-up call for some of their younger players. Keith/Seabrook will play better as will Kane and Toews.

Still nothing from Datsyuk/Hossa/Holmstrom.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #1023
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would give my left nut to see the Jets back in Winnipeg, but for god's sake at least move them to a market that gives a shit about hockey. Whether that's in Canada (Winnipeg, Ontario, Quebec) or in the US (Hartford, KC, Portland) doesn't really matter, but how the hell can you keep a team in an arena for the next 20 odd years that is never going to be profitable? Of course when you created the mess in the first place, you've really closed doors. I guess it's too much for Bettman to admit a mea culpa at this point.

edit - I meant Kansas City not St. Louis. I guess with the way they performed this year we can say there is an NHL franchise in St. Louis again now

Last edited by bhlloy : 05-17-2009 at 09:23 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #1024
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So watching the Wings/Hawks tonight made me realize again how tremendous Getlzaf - Perry - Ryan is as a line. That is the best line I've seen in a long, long time. Chicago just can't put something like that together, because those three are so big and strong they can flat out dominate the play with that cycle.

I think Chicago can make this a series but if Khabby keeps letting in a softy or two a game, it won't matter.

Still, it'd be nice if Detroit could, you know, not let in a PPG.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #1025
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, Dats, Hossa and Holmstrom have combined for 16 points this postseason.

I just don't see anyone beating Detroit if even one of those three get it going on the stat sheet. I know Dats has played well, as has Hossa. If it begins translating to goals and assist, I really think Detroit rolls.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #1026
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Wings PK is certainly an enigma. I don't know how you have the combination of great skaters and good defensive forwards and suck so bad. It's really the only thing that is keeping them from being an absolute lock to win the cup.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #1027
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The Wings PK is certainly an enigma. I don't know how you have the combination of great skaters and good defensive forwards and suck so bad. It's really the only thing that is keeping them from being an absolute lock to win the cup.

They have had moments like the 5 on 3 Anaheim had late in the series where they just shut down totally, but then they have an absurd turnover and the other team scores on a 5 on 4. It's just mental. I certainly do not understand it, and I don't know how a team can keep winning while giving up a for sure goal a night, but I guess that goes to show how great they can be.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #1028
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think Chicago can make this a series but if Khabby keeps letting in a softy or two a game, it won't matter.

I was at work and missed the game, but from the highlights, that's what it looked like doomed the Hawks and they just can't win if he does that.

SI

Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #1029
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Draft Dodger what is up with this...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279107

Quote:
One of the NHL's greatest all-time netmiders could be back in the game very soon.

The Denver Post is reporting that the Colorado Avalanche have offered the team's head coaching position to Hall of Fame goalkeeper Patrick Roy on Monday.

Roy would take over the job from Tony Granato, who reportedly has yet to be notified of his firing by the Avs. Granato has two years remaining on his contract which he signed prior to this past season.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-18-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #1030
DataKing
Pro Rookie

As if I needed another reason to hate the Avs.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #1031
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
As if I needed another reason to hate the Avs.

I kinda do, actually. I mean, they'll never be my favorite team or likely a team I even like, but it's been a while since I've really "hated" that team. Most of the principles of the old rivalry days are gone. Adam Foote isn't what he used to be. I never disliked Joe Sakic. I don't see how one could.

I like Ryan Smyth well enough. I never really devloped any kind of dislike or like of guys like Hejduk, Stastny, Woloski, Svatos or any of those other guys who are always injured. The only reason I have to dislike those guys is the face that they are really a burden on our already over-burdened healthcare system. (You bastards!)

Having Patrick Roy back in the mix is perfect. Claude Lemieux was awful, but it was Patrick Roy who was always the greatest villian. I always liked Tony Granato (he was perhaps my greatest Strat-o-Matic player ever), so to see him get unceromoniously dumped for Roy would be even better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #1032
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Next thing you know he'll bring in Peter Forsberg as a bench coach (assuming that guy is still alive).
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1033
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Dola: You bring up a good point though...there hasn't really been a reason to dislike the Avs recently...only history (agree 100% on you with Sakic...you have to respect that guy). But the more I think about this, the more I hope Roy does come back as a coach...give us a reason to hate the Avs again.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #1034
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I can't wait for Roy to start challenging other coaches to come out to center ice and fight.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #1035
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I can't wait for Roy to start challenging other coaches to come out to center ice and fight.

Is Mike Vernon coaching now?
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #1036
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Roy as a coach is intriguing.
Roy as a coach AND GM (as some rumors have it) is worrisome.
Roy being offered the job while Granato is still employed is bush league.

the Avs have really fucked up the offseason so far, IMO
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #1037
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

fwiw, Roy is denying that an offer has been made
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #1038
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

(not that that means anything)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #1039
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Someone has got to hire Ron Hextall now.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #1040
MikeVic
Head Coach

What about Pokey Reddick.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #1041
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Do they really think the team finished in last place because of Granato? The problem with that team is upper management.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #1042
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What about Pokey Reddick.
how did i get involved

Oh. Never mind.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #1043
muns
Pro Starter

damn the pens look real good tonight
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1044
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Erik Cole knocked Hal Gill over....again I say ERIK COLE knocked Hal Gill over.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #1045
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Erik Cole knocked Hal Gill over....again I say ERIK COLE knocked Hal Gill over.

lol no one ever said that he wasnt a bit of a sissy
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #1046
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How about that crazy bounce at the end? I got tickets for game 2... looking forward to another good game.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #1047
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

MAF looked really good. The LaRose goal was sort of soft, but he made some really strong saves early.

Canes PK got the better of the Pens recently hot PP-- Boucher's was sort of fluky.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #1048
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yep. 1-0 down. Right where we want it.

Seriously, not much in the way of bad feelings about how we played. The Pens really only severely outplayed Carolina when they got that scary little ball rolling for those two goals in the first, but otherwise, they fought to a standstill. The biggest problem I had was Fleury I think managed to get in the Carolina heads a bit, especially Samsonov, who kept shuffling with the puck a lot more than he needed to and nearly got burned by it. Even besides him, it seemed like everyone was looking for the perfect shot (a lot of one-pass-too-many moments) and not just banging away at it. It's not surprising the two goals we got were not those "perfect pass-perfect shot" setups, but rather a bit of scrambling and banging to get them in.

The PK as noted was very good, but I feel that the one PP goal was a bit soft by Ward. Even if Corvo screened him a bit, he should have had that considering it trickled between his legs like it did.

Still, plenty of things to be optimistic about (surprising, I know), especially handcuffing Crosby pretty well throughout the game. He only really got loose a couple of times and Ward was able to fend him off pretty well. Malkin is a whole different animal, though. Our guys are fast guys, but he dusted them pretty good on several occasions.

One thing's for sure, though. This won't be a grind-it-out series like the first two rounds, which I think helps Carolina. They'll be the more grinding side of the two, but they've also got the speed to play run-and-gun for some stretches as well.

It'll be interesting to see what adjustments will happen between now and Thursday, but there's some issues as both Ruutu and Cole got injured on leg-to-leg hits by the Pens which means the possibility of Dwight Helminen and Tim Conboy coming in for them which isn't very threatening and pretty much scrambles all of Carolina's lines. If they can overcome that and get a split, they should feel pretty good about their chances in this series.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-18-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #1049
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
How about that crazy bounce at the end? I got tickets for game 2... looking forward to another good game.

jealous over here. Your gonna have a blast, and you hate the pens..... Thats not right
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #1050
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brian Campbell makes 7 million dollars a year ... Good thing he can do a Spinarama sometimes.