Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #1001
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a nice deal for the Cubs, provided Harden is healthy. From his last game: "Harden did not. His truncated evening ended with his most electric moment of the night, striking out Guerrero with runners at first and second with two outs in the fifth, but his final line was pretty ho-hum by his lofty standards: five hits and a walk with five strikeouts. He never topped 93 mph on the radar gun and was far more frequently checking in at 87-89."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #1002
JS19
College Prospect

Nice to see the Mets keep the offense going now they are back at Shea. And yea, that 2nd AB of the game was probably the one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Since when is it ok to run on the IF grass to avoid a tag?

This Harden trade really has me confused. If I was an A's fan I would be pissed. Haven't checked the standings in a few days but I'm pretty sure they are still very much in contention, and they go and trade perhaps their best pitcher, who's not gonna be a FA next yr and isn't a burden financially. Doesn't make much sense to me.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #1003
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Did Beane just get the losing end of the stick for the first time? I'm not sure any of those pieces the Cubs gave up are that special, though I acknowledge the inherent risk that is Harden. Would have thought he could have gotten more for him.

Harden being healthy is the big key, isn't it? I guess Beane figured might as well deal Harden on the rare occasion he's actually healthy and his value is high.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #1004
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, what in the Hell has gotten in to Fernando Tatis? Not that I'm complaining..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #1005
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Did Beane just get the losing end of the stick for the first time? I'm not sure any of those pieces the Cubs gave up are that special, though I acknowledge the inherent risk that is Harden. Would have thought he could have gotten more for him.

Beware of this happening:

Rich Harden:Mark Mulder::Sean Gallagheranny Haren
Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #1006
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yankees sweep the Rays on Bobby Abreu's game winning hit! Andy Pettitte, Sidney Ponson, and the Yankee bullpen shut down the Rays for the 2 game series. People thought the Yankee bullpen would self-destruct without Joba Chamberlain, but Veras-Farnsworth-Rivera have been stellar at the end of games.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #1007
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Odd stat from the Braves-Dodgers game tonight.
In the series, the Braves are 0-for-36 in innings 1 through 4.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #1008
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Very happy with tonight's fangraph:

Yes, DDJ is that clutch so far this season. Leads the league at .468 (29 of 62) with RISP this year.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-12-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #1009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And in San Diego, Greg Maddux just stole the 11th base of his career at age 42.
Now 11 of 14 lifetime in stolen base attempts.

Just a random fun moment from MLB on a Saturday night.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #1010
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lots of fun baseball today. I watched a pair of almost-comebacks today with the Tigers falling short against the Twins and the Rangers falling short against the White Sox. However, I did just see the Cards/Pirates highlights and Pittsburgh did not come up short

In the Royals game, along with DDJ's walkoff 2-run game winning homer, Mark Grudzelanek got hit number 2000.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-12-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #1011
Logan
Head Coach

The Mets are playing fantastic baseball. They've allowed 4 runs and 13 hits over the last SIX GAMES.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #1012
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The Mets are playing fantastic baseball. They've allowed 4 runs and 13 hits over the last SIX GAMES.

it's about time.

and I think the upcoming break will help alot of guys get some rest.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #1013
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Very happy with tonight's fangraph:

Yes, DDJ is that clutch so far this season. Leads the league at .468 (29 of 62) with RISP this year.

SI

Can someone please explain to me what this all means?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #1014
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

The graph represents the Royals likelihood of finishing in last place in the AL Central. From left to right, it goes by date, starting in April...So, you see, it fluctuates a bit from April 1st to April 9th, but then by the 10th it's all over.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 07-13-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #1015
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
The graph represents the Royals likelihood of finishing in last place in the AL Central. From left to right, it goes by date, starting in April...So, you see, it fluctuates a bit from April 1st to April 9th, but then by the 10th it's all over.

Touché.

If Karl goes missing, I think we'll need to look at SI.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #1016
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

I think I've posted this before, but I know DeJesus from home (he grew up in the town next to me and I was also at Rutgers with him) and we share a good friend (who happens to be our barber). He's such a legitimately good guy that it's awesome to see him playing so well. He had a legit case to make the All Star team.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #1017
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

The graph represents the probability of each team winning the game at a certain point. When team A hits a home run and takes the lead, their win probability increases. You can find out more at fangraphs.com.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #1018
MrBug708
Head Coach

Andruw Jones - Platinum Sombrero
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #1019
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That Cardinals - Pirates game about finished me off for the weekend.. good grief!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #1020
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That Cardinals - Pirates game about finished me off for the weekend.. good grief!!!

That warmed my heart to see but it sucks to be on the other end of one of those. We had one against the Yankees earlier this year

CR, here's the Cards-Pirates fangraph:

At the top is the Pirates win percentage while at the bottom is the Cardinals. Basically, this is what chance teams have to win any particular game at any given time.

So, of course, each game starts at 50/50. The Pirates actually became close to a 75% favorite to win early on as they were up 2-0 and teams in that position win a lot of games. However, as the game went on and the Cards built a 10-4 lead in the 8th, the chances of the Pirates winning were in the low single digits, hence that line running along the bottom for the 7th, 8th, and part of the 9th. Even getting 2 runs in the 8th was a minor blip as you're still likely to lose 10-6 going into the 9th almost as much as if you're down 10-4.

But then the Pirates tie is and it's 50-50 going into the 10th. However, Glaus's homer in the 10th to give the Cards a 11-10 lead shifts it strongly back in their favor. However, of course, Michael's home run makes it 100% Pirates as they won the game.

Similar to the Royals fangraph from the previous post. They were down below 5% with 2 outs and no one on in the 9th. But it was still only a 1 run game so when Butler walked, the odds shot up a little and, of course, DeJesus's homer ended it.

SI

Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #1021
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I've posted this before, but I know DeJesus from home (he grew up in the town next to me and I was also at Rutgers with him) and we share a good friend (who happens to be our barber). He's such a legitimately good guy that it's awesome to see him playing so well. He had a legit case to make the All Star team.

He seems like a geniunely nice guy. Kindof a kid who realizes he's playing baseball for money and enjoys it. Always has a smile on his face and always enjoys playing- it's great to see. His is the jersey I currently wear to the park after I had to retire my Sweeney jersey after last year.

As an aside, I always love listening to the trades who always try to get him from the Royals for a pile of magic beans this time of year. C'mon, he's cheap, signed a deal that keeps him under club control for a couple more years. Oh, and he's a good leadoff hitter who takes a lot of pitches, is a career .285 hitter with about 10 homers a year, but who's value is diminished in some eyes since he can't steal that much.

SI

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #1022
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wait, so what you're saying is that we're going to make a miraculous comeback in the second half and win the World Series? Cool

SI

Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #1023
Logan
Head Coach

Really enjoyed this line from Jayson Stark's midseason column:

Quote:
In fact, if "Opposing Hitters Facing Brett Myers" were one person, that guy would be third in the NL in homers, second in doubles, 10th in slugging and 12th in OPS -- and would be leading Ryan Braun in all four categories. Amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=3483646
Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #1024
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

So my girlfriend and myself (a another couple went too, but they aren't of importance) went to the Cubs - Reds game at Wrigley on Wednesday night. We got there early to watch them take batting practice and such. So my girlfriend is a reds fan and we are all standing along the left field line while the reds were taking BP. She made eye contact with Josh Fogg and waved and he waved back and smiled and all this. Next ball out to left, sure enough Fogg walks over to her and hands it to her. It was pretty funny, but it didn't stop there. David Ross came out there after he was done hitting and was talking to Fogg and they turned to my girl friend and waved and motioned "I love you." Five minutes later they ask her to throw the ball back on the field and her pen. I will attach a picture of what they put on the ball.. It was seriously one of the funnier things I've seen. It was flattering in a kind of jealous way because they were actually serious.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #1025
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Obviously you weren't of importance either.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #1026
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

THATS AWESOME
Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #1027
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hahah - just make sure you keep her in sight the rest of the time they're in town!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #1028
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you should send a 300 lb transvestite prostitute to their room
Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #1029
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I think FOFC should take up a collection so he can!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #1030
Philliesfan980
Banned

Pics of GF plz.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #1031
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
So my girlfriend and myself (a another couple went too, but they aren't of importance) went to the Cubs - Reds game at Wrigley on Wednesday night. We got there early to watch them take batting practice and such. So my girlfriend is a reds fan and we are all standing along the left field line while the reds were taking BP. She made eye contact with Josh Fogg and waved and he waved back and smiled and all this. Next ball out to left, sure enough Fogg walks over to her and hands it to her. It was pretty funny, but it didn't stop there. David Ross came out there after he was done hitting and was talking to Fogg and they turned to my girl friend and waved and motioned "I love you." Five minutes later they ask her to throw the ball back on the field and her pen. I will attach a picture of what they put on the ball.. It was seriously one of the funnier things I've seen. It was flattering in a kind of jealous way because they were actually serious.

Just to link up a couple of recent posts....this actually happened a couple seasons ago with my girlfriend and Brett Myers. Instead of mouthing "I Love You", he pointed at her and then held up his open palm and started punching hit.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #1032
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am kicking myself for not thinking of doing this on wednesday night!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #1033
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Former Yankees Bobby Murcer passed away. For those that grew up with 70s baseball, he and Thurmon were the only two faces of the Yanks until 1975.

Unfortunatey, Murcer is yet another player from the era of artificial turfs that died of brain cancer.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #1034
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Or, y'know, within 4 games. Same difference.

I do get a laugh out of the Yankees and the Red Sox fighting tooth and nail...over second place.

To the Rays.

The best-record-in-the-majors Rays.

It's like a ludicrous Disney movie made flesh.

Oops?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #1035
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Pelfrey with another great effort tonight, 8 innings of shutout ball, 6 hits, no walks and the bullpen holds in the 9th for the 9th straight win. That's 4 runs over 7 games now, and 4 shutouts in 6 games. Saw a stat earlier that the Mets were the first team since 1900 to have 5 straight games with less than 3 hits allowed.

And yet we still haven't thrown a no-hitter.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #1036
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just to link up a couple of recent posts....this actually happened a couple seasons ago with my girlfriend and Brett Myers. Instead of mouthing "I Love You", he pointed at her and then held up his open palm and started punching hit.

Hmm, seems the entire league has been "punching hit" on Myers for a while now.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #1037
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Unfortunatey, Murcer is yet another player from the era of artificial turfs that died of brain cancer.

Did I miss a study on a link between artificial turf and brain cancer?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #1038
MrBug708
Head Coach

I believe the early turf had high levels of lead?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #1039
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There were other chemicals involved as well to maintain those fields. I'll look it up this week.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #1040
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Pics of GF plz.

+2 .
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #1041
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
+2 .
If you look close in the picture I posted you can see her hands. That is about as much as I'll post on here.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #1042
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
If you look close in the picture I posted you can see her hands. That is about as much as I'll post on here.

Bastard.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #1043
JeeberD
General Manager

Big Puma just tore it up in the first round of the Derby...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #1044
korme
Go Reds

That was incredible
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #1045
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Big Puma just tore it up in the first round of the Derby...

Wierd name for Josh Hamilton
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #1046
Jas_lov
College Starter

Can you believe the nerve of that prima donna Jonathan Papelbon suggesting that he's in the same league as hall of fame closer Mariano Rivera? They're in Yankee Stadium, Rivera has better numbers this year, and Rivera is better than Papelbon ever will be so Rivera should absolutely be closing this game, not Papelbon. Papelbon just needs to shutup and stop trying to worm his way into things he doesn't deserve.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1047
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Can you believe the nerve of that prima donna Jonathan Papelbon suggesting that he's in the same league as hall of fame closer Mariano Rivera? They're in Yankee Stadium, Rivera has better numbers this year, and Rivera is better than Papelbon ever will be so Rivera should absolutely be closing this game, not Papelbon. Papelbon just needs to shutup and stop trying to worm his way into things he doesn't deserve.

He did say that, not that "he's the same league as hall of fame closer Mariano Rivera", but that he thought he should close. Then he remembered (or someone told him) that these days, we like bland athletes who don't have opinions on anything and he corrected himself:

"I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want [Rivera] to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it," Papelbon said.

"This is what I think, of course I want to close the game out. I wouldn't be Jonathan Papelbon if I didn't want to close the game out," he said. "But at the same time, there's also things within this game I have to understand and people have to understand. It doesn't always work out that way.

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2008 at 03:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #1048
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wouldn't be Jonathan Papelbon if I didn't want to close the game out,"

Yes he would.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #1049
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Yes he would.

Would he litterally still be himself, yes. His name would still be Papelbon. I think its just an expression.

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2008 at 03:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #1050
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Would he litterally still be himself, yes. His name would still be Papelbon. I think its just an expression.

Yes. I think he is saying he would still be a guy named Jonathan(sp?) Papelbon, but he would not be the athlete that has risen to the level he is if he did not have that kind of drive and confidence. But I think we all know this and just want to ridicule him for being an athlete that always thinks he can be the best on the field. Man, I'd hate to have a player like that.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote