Head Coach

Johnson wasn't in the draft.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #1002
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
To running backs surprised that they wern't drafted Darius Walker, Notre Dame and the Bosie State kid Ian Johnson who led the nation in scoring I believe.

I thought Johnson was a Junior?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #1003
Groundhog
Coordinator

Did that huge guy who can do forward flips get drafted?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #1004
General Mike
Pro Starter

In Rutgers undrafted FA news, OC Darnell Stapleton signed with Pittsburgh. DT Ramel Meekins signed with Indianapolis.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #1005
Izulde
Head Coach

Speaking of which, where I can find UDFA signings? I want to see where Leak went.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #1006
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
In Rutgers undrafted FA news, OC Darnell Stapleton signed with Pittsburgh. DT Ramel Meekins signed with Indianapolis.

Good to hear.

Ill be looking forward to seeing the list on like Wednesday or Thursday when basically everyone is done signing guys. Hopefully some more RU guys find a training camp to attend.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #1007
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I want to see where Leak went.

Chicago Bears

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ago_bears.html
Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #1008
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Good to hear.

Ill be looking forward to seeing the list on like Wednesday or Thursday when basically everyone is done signing guys. Hopefully some more RU guys find a training camp to attend.

I'd love to see Devraun Thompson get a shot somewhere. For all the talk of how small LBs can't cut it in the NFL, the ones who actually do get a chance seem to have a pretty high rate of making it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #1009
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

Thanks. Interesting, too. I'll have to see if I can catch some Bears exhibition games this year to watch him play.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #1010
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Here's the info on Siler:

Apparently, Siler has a bad knee that he may need surgery on, causing his monumental slip down draft boards. People questioned Siler’s speed to begin with, so if he needs surgery on top of that, it makes sense that he would slide this far.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #1011
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Is there a salary cap in this league anymore? It seems NE and Denver continually go out and get whoever they want.

Well, if you're as Krafty as the Patriots, you not only get Moss for a song in draft picks but you also get him for a song in salary.

Profootballtalk is reporting that:

Per a league source, the $21 million in salary over two years under Randy's prior deal was replaced by a one-year contract with a $3.0 million base salary and $1.5 million in incentives.

The only downside for the Patriots is that, if Moss re-establishes himself as a superstar in 2007, they'll have to pay him in 2008, either with a new contract or the franchise tag.

And the deal allows the Pats to evaluate Moss carefully in the offseason, training camp, and preseason. If Moss doesn't still have it, or if he is in any way a pain in the butt, the Pats lose not a penny.

. . . .

Moreover, with a one-year deal, Moss will have every incentive to bring the heat, each and every week. He's auditioning for his last big contract. None of his prior Pro Bowl performances came in a season in which he was playing for a new deal. That added incentive coupled with his physical gifts could result in a performance that conjures memories of 1998.

This organization is way ahead of the curve. Although word is when the deal fell apart yesterday, Moss approached the Pats and said he'd cut 6 mill off this season's salary to get the deal done. This sounds to me like Moss wants to bring it this year. Hopefully.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 04-30-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #1012
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Speaking of which, where I can find UDFA signings? I want to see where Leak went.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/2007_NFC_UDFA.cfm

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/2007_AFC_UDFA.cfm
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #1013
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks

Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #1014
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Unreal. But he's got to be the #1 UDFA target of a ton of teams.

Signed with the Bears, evidently. Either he knew where he wanted to go, or he just wasn't getting that many offers to have signed so quickly.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #1015
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
In Rutgers undrafted FA news, OC Darnell Stapleton signed with Pittsburgh.

They must have liked his tape too, considering they drafted his teammate. I doubt he makes the roster though, unless he can long snap too, and then it's a slight possibility. They already have 3 centers signed, although Okobi might get cut if they plan to pony up for Faneca for 3-4 more years. Stephenson has a decent shot at making it though, as long as he brings it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #1016
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Here's the info on Siler:

Apparently, Siler has a bad knee that he may need surgery on, causing his monumental slip down draft boards. People questioned Siler’s speed to begin with, so if he needs surgery on top of that, it makes sense that he would slide this far.

I thought he may have popped a piss test with as far as he fell. Worst comes to worst, he could always get IR'd this year and basically "red shirt" the season if he's worth keeping around.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #1017
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Can anybody give me some info on the guys the Texans have signed so far?

Onrea Jones, WR, Hampton
Jon Abbate, LB, W. Forest
Eric Wilbur, P, Florida
Cory Anderson, FB, Tennessee
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #1018
st.cronin
General Manager

It seems clear to me that the Pats are moving in the direction they are because they see "value." The entire league is running away from guys with "character" issues, so the Pats are taking some chances, figuring they can save some money that way.

I just hope that Moss returns some of the Irving Fryar karma.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #1019
Desnudo
Coordinator

Randy Moss is one player I can safely say I never thought would be in New England. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. They haven't had a true #1 receiver in years.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #1020
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
Can anybody give me some info on the guys the Texans have signed so far?

Onrea Jones, WR, Hampton
Jon Abbate, LB, W. Forest
Eric Wilbur, P, Florida
Cory Anderson, FB, Tennessee
Abbate is from the town I currently live in (didn't go to the high school my kids will go to, though) and I saw him play at Wake. He's a solid player...smart & tough...not sure if he has NFL size, but I don't think he really had major D-I size either and that didn't stop him from being a four year starter (I believe) and the best player on Wake's defense. With him, Houston gets a guy who will work hard every day and will give everything he's got on every play. I'd love to have a guy like him on any team I root for just because of his work ethic and the presence he'll have in the locker room.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1021
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
It seems clear to me that the Pats are moving in the direction they are because they see "value." The entire league is running away from guys with "character" issues, so the Pats are taking some chances, figuring they can save some money that way.

That's exactly the way I see it, too. As a Pats fan, I'll admit that I'm a bit worried about the addition of Moss (and a bit worried about Merriweather, to be honest). However, as an "objective" fan, I'm very, very interested in this "experiment." Essentially we're going to find out what's stronger - the attitude Randy Moss has shown over the past few years, or the control Belichick has over his team.

I'm betting on the latter, to be honest. First, there's the Corey Dillon experiment, which worked out fine. Second, it appears the Patriots aren't "risking" all that much, and can probably cut ties with Moss without too much of a backlash. And third, and probably most importantly, there's still at least 40 members of the roster who have completely drunk the Belichick Kool-Aid. I just don't see Moss being able to change that. If he dogs it, I suspect he'll find that it's a pretty lonely locker room, and later a pretty quick trip to being cut.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #1022
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's all about leverage. The Pats rarely let players have any kind of hammer. Particulary ones that are somewhat question marks character wise. Get these guys on the cheap and you can have yourself a motivated guy. Lavish big dough on these guys and you have loafers and malcontents.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #1023
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Here's my prediction:

Moss has a good, almost great, year. He works hard, rarely takes plays off, and amasses very good numbers, though not great ones due mostly to Brady's tendency to spread the ball around. He's pretty much a model citizen, though, especially if the Pats look like they'll go deep into the playoffs.

Next spring/summer, Moss starts making noises about wanting his final "rich" contract. Belichick/Pioli offer him their "standard" for the position, he raises a stink, they trade him to some gullible team where he gets paid. Said gullible team, especially with the addition of Moss, look like a playoff contender, but soon fall behind. Moss starts to take plays off. Moss reverts. Several years later, before the "rich" contract becomes too cap-heavy for the gullible team, he gets cut, and retires.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #1024
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Here's my prediction:

Moss has a good, almost great, year. He works hard, rarely takes plays off, and amasses very good numbers, though not great ones due mostly to Brady's tendency to spread the ball around. He's pretty much a model citizen, though, especially if the Pats look like they'll go deep into the playoffs.

Next spring/summer, Moss starts making noises about wanting his final "rich" contract. Belichick/Pioli offer him their "standard" for the position, he raises a stink, they trade him to some gullible team where he gets paid. Said gullible team, especially with the addition of Moss, look like a playoff contender, but soon fall behind. Moss starts to take plays off. Moss reverts. Several years later, before the "rich" contract becomes too cap-heavy for the gullible team, he gets cut, and retires.

Trade him? He just signed a one-year deal. Is there a franchise-tagging in the mix as well?
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #1025
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

hxxp://www.theredzone.org/2007/draft/udfa/school.asp

UDFAs listed by school.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #1026
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

BTW, in case it hasn't been mentioned or you didn't read it, Peter King has a nice play-by-play of how the Quinn deal went down. Jerry Jones played it perfectly, got the guy he was going to take with that pick anyway, plus picked up an extra 1st rounder next year. Well played. I hope for Cleveland's sake it turns out to be a win/win.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #1027
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I went through the undrafted free agent signings to see if I recognized any of the names. When I got to Jacksonville, I saw that they'd signed QB Lester Ricard out of Tulane. Now, I used to go to a lot of Tulane games, and I saw Ricard play. He's going to have a tough time breaking into the NFL, but he's got some potential. Still, the first thing I thought when I saw his name attached to the Jags was "Jacksonville signed another black quarterback?"
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #1028
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

I just hope that Moss returns some of the Irving Fryar karma.

I was against bringing Moss in for most of the winter and spring. I just thought he'd be too disruptive in the locker room.

But I think this is an extension of the Pats approach to guys with reps - show us how much you want to win a ring. Dillon gave up money, now Moss is giving up $6 mil plus to play for the team. And they brought in Rodeny Harrison who had a rep as the dirtiest player in the league.

The Pats basically bought a $10 lottery ticket here. A little more expensive than a $2 scratch off with the 4th rounder going to Oakland. If they hit they hit big, if Moss is a total douchebag, they cut him and are done with him.

Yes, I've drank the kool-aid. I think BB and Scott Pioli know what they're doing and having lived through decades of being a fan of the worst franchise in pro football, 3 rings in 4 years and what is it, 6 or 7 East titles in a row, they've pretty much got carte blanche to do whatever the frack they want with the team in my eyes.

As for Merriweather, can't really defend his actions in the FIU game - though to be truthful they were probably no worse than what a Conrad Dobler did or a Rodney Harrison does at the bottom of a pileup on the field. Still, kinda lameass to stomp mudholes in people.

But I don't see a damn thing wrong with the shooting incident. You obey the law, buy a handgun legally, own it legally, your pal gets shot at and you pull it out and return fire - all legally.

Maybe I've been out of the northeast too long, but if some asswipe is shooting at me, I'd rather my friend had a legal handgun and shot back at the SOB within his rights to defend himself or others rather than run away in the opposite direction yelling "Dude, I told you we needed a 72 hour waiting period on handguns."

Damn, I've become a suthrun.

Cheers.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 04-30-2007 at 10:58 AM.
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #1029
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I went through the undrafted free agent signings to see if I recognized any of the names. When I got to Jacksonville, I saw that they'd signed QB Lester Ricard out of Tulane. Now, I used to go to a lot of Tulane games, and I saw Ricard play. He's going to have a tough time breaking into the NFL, but he's got some potential. Still, the first thing I thought when I saw his name attached to the Jags was "Jacksonville signed another black quarterback?"

They're big fans of athletical QBs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #1030
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

dola.

Not to mention, when Merriweather tells a blitzing corner "Dude, i got your back", he's got the cred his teammates know he really does have their back.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 04-30-2007 at 11:01 AM.
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #1031
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

house rule
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #1032
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Trade him? He just signed a one-year deal. Is there a franchise-tagging in the mix as well?

Yes, they could franchise him after this year if reverts to big-play Randy.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #1033
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrowlz View Post

The Pats basically bought a $10 lottery ticket here. A little more expensive than a $2 scratch off with the 4th rounder going to Oakland. If they hit they hit big, if Moss is a total douchebag, they cut him and are done with him.

This is why it's a great trade for the Pats, even if Moss never plays a down in a competitive game. The Raiders selected cornerback John Bowie from Cincinnati with the pick they got from New England. Who has more upside???
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #1034
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bears signed Leak.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #1035
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
This is why it's a great trade for the Pats, even if Moss never plays a down in a competitive game. The Raiders selected cornerback John Bowie from Cincinnati with the pick they got from New England. Who has more upside???

Seriously, considering it's the Patriots and how many free agents/draft picks they have had this year...what were the chances that someone they picked in the 4th round would have even made the team.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #1036
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Seriously, considering it's the Patriots and how many free agents/draft picks they have had this year...what were the chances that someone they picked in the 4th round would have even made the team.

Very small; they didn't even want the pick.

Kind of amazing NE was able to structure this the way it played out in terms of the restructuring to a one year deal and a meaningless 4th round pick.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #1037
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is there a free site somewhere that offers analysis and "grades" for each team?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #1038
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is there a free site somewhere that offers analysis and "grades" for each team?

sportingnews.com
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #1039
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
sportingnews.com

Thanks.

I started reading it and saw a A+ for the Dolphins. Quickly read the Steelers' review, and then I stopped reading.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #1040
Butter
Coordinator

Fox Sports also had grading for each team and actually had commentary for each pick.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #1041
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Abbate is from the town I currently live in (didn't go to the high school my kids will go to, though) and I saw him play at Wake. He's a solid player...smart & tough...not sure if he has NFL size, but I don't think he really had major D-I size either and that didn't stop him from being a four year starter (I believe) and the best player on Wake's defense. With him, Houston gets a guy who will work hard every day and will give everything he's got on every play. I'd love to have a guy like him on any team I root for just because of his work ethic and the presence he'll have in the locker room.

Zach Thomas kind of guy.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #1042
SFL Cat
College Starter

Patriots are a classic example of the rich getting richer. I'll be suprised if they don't make it to the Super Bowl again.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #1043
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I finally looked it up, FB Brian Leonard (St. Louis) was the highest selected Rutgers player since 1996 (TE Marco Battaglia, Cincinnati) and the 3rd highest selected Rutgers player ever.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #1044
biological warrior
High School Varsity

So, I wonder where Brady Quinn would have gone if Ty Willing ham remained ND's head coach.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #1045
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Patriots are a classic example of the rich getting richer. I'll be suprised if they don't make it to the Super Bowl again.

I don't know if we've had a team looking this good after the draft in quite a while. If Stallworth stays healthy and Moss stays off pot, they could be the top offense in the league.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #1046
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Moss isn't TO, he is not about the money.
He offered to take the 6 million pay cut so NE would trade for him.
My guess is he plans on retiring after this year and wanted a last shot at the Super Bowl.
Also the way NE is acting I am wondering if this isn't Belichick's last year too.

Here's my prediction:

Both Belichick and Moss retire after this year.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #1047
SFL Cat
College Starter

I think Moss will be the model citizen and strive to be productive in the NE system so he can get one more killer payday before he retires.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #1048
Buccaneer
Head Coach

After reading Peter King's article about the Cleveland GM and how he worked to make the trade, I have gained a lot more respect for the team. It's refreshing to see that compared to the morons they had after they restarted the team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #1049
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don't know if we've had a team looking this good after the draft in quite a while. If Stallworth stays healthy and Moss stays off pot, they could be the top offense in the league.

And if Moss stays healthy, he's had plenty of trouble doing that the last few years.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #1050
Danny
Head Coach

I love what the Raiders did for this draft. I was especially happy to grab Michael Bush in the 4th.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote