Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #1001
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

First of all, let me just say GoldenEagle is either mentally handicapped, or has a little too much invested in Memphis basketball emotionally. I've seen some idiotic stuff, and even taken part myself, but that post-game meltdown goes down singlehandedly as the most embarrassing behavior I've ever seen. It went from aggravating, to funny, to sad, to maddening, to hilarious, to just plain pathetic.

Second, I was at the UCLA/Kansas game. What an amazing atmosphere that was. The buzz of the crowd right before the tip was insane. UCLA can beat any team that comes at them in the final four. I'm hoping for an Oregon/UCLA semi-final.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #1002
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Once again, you have so much experience knowing what a referee sees on a floor with a bunch of athletes running around at high speeds and great ability because?

I have done some officiating in my day, but certainly not anywhere near the level of these games.

Really, that isn't the point though. Pretend you are an NCAA official on the side of the court where the ball is with under 3 seconds left in the game. Can you really tell me you would be looking somewhere other than the guy with the ball. NCAA refs can make upwards of $70k/year. They know what they are doing. They are human and they will make mistakes though. I think missing this travel was a mistake. It probably wasn't intentional and it may have been a "let them play" kind of decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA made some kind of statement to say this one should have been called.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #1003
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
That being said, I've actually moved to the opinion that you simply don't call a travel like that in that situation. You can step and lift your pivot to vault into a shot, and with that perspective the call moves from bad to borderline in my mind after watching more replays (especially at game speed). I see the arguments both ways, and would rather the officials let the outcome of a play decide crucial situations like that rather than make a game-changing close call. But I'm an alum, totally biased, and am seriously hoping to log in tomorrow night to read Radii's enraged rantings.

My argument to this would be to say that the defender also knows when a pivot-foot has been established. He knows which way an offensive player can go and he is going to play defense accordingly. By picking up the pivot-foot and taking the extra step, he moved himself into a position that the defender knew he couldn't get to legally. I can understand the "let them play" argument (even though I'm not a big fan of that), but when someone gains that much of an advantage through the illegal move, you are letting them play too much.

Edit: For the record, I did have Georgetown winning in all of my pools, so I'm not sad that they are still in. I just don't think they deserved to get away with that call.

Last edited by BrianD : 03-24-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #1004
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Man, what about that girl from Duke clanking two free throws with 0.1 left. How devastating.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #1005
MrBug708
Head Coach

Just saw a note that this was the first game that Kansas has let an opponent shoot over 50% in a game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #1006
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
But the problem is that everyone thinks their team gets screwed if they lose and no matter how much you want to believe it, they don't give a rats ass who wins the game. Sure they are going to miss some calls. If you want a perfect game called then design a robot to do the game. Or better yet have the refs call the game from a booth. When the see a foul they can signal to the official on the court to blow the whistle. That way they get a better view of what is going on.

I'm all for putting them in the booth if that leads to a better result. I don't care if they put them in submarines in the bottom of the ocean and have them squeeze octopus tentacles when they think there is a foul if they end up getting a better result. I'm all for robots too, if they can design one that does a good job.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #1007
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
First of all, let me just say GoldenEagle is either mentally handicapped, or has a little too much invested in Memphis basketball emotionally. I've seen some idiotic stuff, and even taken part myself, but that post-game meltdown goes down singlehandedly as the most embarrassing behavior I've ever seen. It went from aggravating, to funny, to sad, to maddening, to hilarious, to just plain pathetic.

Yes, I was drunk, pissed off, and frustrated. I still do not think Memphis got a fair shake and I do not think the reffing was consistent on both sides of the floor.

UCLA has had had essentially two years in a row where thy got to have a home court advantage during the regional final. I dobut they have two straight final four appearances if those games had been played in the east.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #1008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Man, what about that girl from Duke clanking two free throws with 0.1 left. How devastating.

And that's not just any player either, that's the ACC player of the year &
a bonafide national player of the year candidate who bricked them both.

And to add injury to insult, she was also the top defensive player in the conference who had only seconds earlier had the game-winning basket scored right over her.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #1009
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(Obviously, this is a moot point and goes back to my original complaints about the bracket in the selection show thread about this being the worst job of the last 5 years or so... EDIT: It's basically something for me to talk about since Kansas is gone and until opening day next week)

UCLA didn't get a #1 seed so they don't deserve to get home court against the #1. The committee has said the regional names are names only- they don't have too much of a bearing on who goes where. Just look at how Florida, the #1, got sent to the Midwest instead of South or East, closer to them.

SI

Admittedly, initially it does not make sense for Florida to be in the Midwest and Ohio State in the South, but if I understand it correctly, Florida was at least higher-rated than Ohio State simply on basis of who went where. In a strange quirk of geography, Gainesville is technically closer to St. Louis than either East Rutherford or San Antonio. Given that Florida wound up in St. Louis and Ohio State in San Antonio, Florida at least had the higher overall seed because if Ohio State did, they'd have been in St. Louis rather than Florida. Kansas being the last top seed obviously got neither of those regions and wound up in San Jose. I'm not sure whether they start S-curving at the #2 seed, but if so, that made UCLA #5 overall. I'm pretty sure it's S-curving by the #3 seeds because it's the only way to explain how Washington State (East), Pittsburgh (West), and Oregon (Midwest) ended up where they did.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #1010
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Yes, I was drunk, pissed off, and frustrated. I still do not think Memphis got a fair shake and I do not think the reffing was consistent on both sides of the floor.

UCLA has had had essentially two years in a row where thy got to have a home court advantage during the regional final. I dobut they have two straight final four appearances if those games had been played in the east.

UCLA would have beat Memphis last year in that game even if the game was IN Memphis so lets not start talking crazy
Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #1011
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

All is not lost, at least Kansas is out of it.

Don't ever mention Durant and Oden in the same post again, Oden couldn't carry Durant's jock... in fact, he's antoher Shack. He can slam the ball and that's about it. Oh well, he'll do good in the NBA.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #1012
watravaler
High School JV

Ahhh...two of the dirtiest programs in college ball go down...life is good.

:runs away:
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #1013
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Ahhh...two of the dirtiest programs in college ball go down...life is good.

:runs away:

I would run away too with those sort of rash comments.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #1014
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA would have beat Memphis last year in that game even if the game was IN Memphis so lets not start talking crazy

Yea, since you are really qualified to say something like that.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #1015
molson
General Manager

The team you root for is going to lose to end the season at LEAST 90-95% of the time, and usually more. If that inevitability causes such grief, the whole thing really isn't worth it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #1016
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Well I'm sober for one, so that's a head start on you...

But Memphis didnt make one adjustment from the first time they played to the second time they played. Ben Howland ended up exploited every part of Memphis in the Elite 8 matchup

Last edited by MrBug708 : 03-24-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #1017
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Really, that isn't the point though. Pretend you are an NCAA official on the side of the court where the ball is with under 3 seconds left in the game. Can you really tell me you would be looking somewhere other than the guy with the ball. NCAA refs can make upwards of $70k/year. They know what they are doing. They are human and they will make mistakes though. I think missing this travel was a mistake. It probably wasn't intentional and it may have been a "let them play" kind of decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA made some kind of statement to say this one should have been called.

Yeah, I definitely accept this. I was never saying that the referees did not make a mistake. It was pretty clear from the video tape that the refs did miss a pretty blatent call. However, it gets annoying whenever people call out the referees for being "horrible" and its "unexcusable" when they miss a pretty obvious call. It happens, it's life, get over it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #1018
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Sorry. Memphis was outplayed today, clear and simple. If three blind mice were calling the game, Memphis still would have lost.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #1019
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well I'm sober for one, so that's a head start on you...

But Memphis didnt make one adjustment from the first time they played to the second time they played. Ben Howland ended up exploited every part of Memphis in the Elite 8 matchup

That was last year. No one gives a shit.

And I would be willing to bet that even with a six pack in me, you still would have a hard time getting a head start on me.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #1020
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry. Memphis was outplayed today, clear and simple. If three blind mice were calling the game, Memphis still would have lost.

Perhaps. But the sequence that changed the game was:

1) Oden not getting called for an obvious goaltending.
2) Oden getting "intentionally fouled"
3) The bucket counting, despite the shot being roughly four minutes later
4) Getting two free throws
5) tOSU getting the ball back.

After that, Memphis was flat and probably realized it had no chance. OSU outscored them 35-16 from that point.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #1021
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

After that, Memphis was flat and probably realized it had no chance. OSU outscored them 35-16 from that point.
I don't think the goaltending was obvious like you say it was, but it was close. He was intentionally fouled, but I agree that I don't think the shot should have counted..
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #1022
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So then really you are upset at your guy for bear-hugging Oden and dragging him off of the court? That I can understand.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #1023
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely accept this. I was never saying that the referees did not make a mistake. It was pretty clear from the video tape that the refs did miss a pretty blatent call. However, it gets annoying whenever people call out the referees for being "horrible" and its "unexcusable" when they miss a pretty obvious call. It happens, it's life, get over it.

In that situation with that call, I do think it was horrible. I'd love to hear what happened on that call. I'm sure we never will, but I'd be curious if nobody saw it or if they just chose not to call it.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #1024
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
So then really you are upset at your guy for bear-hugging Oden and dragging him off of the court? That I can understand.

I am sure a guy like CDR can really dragt a guy like Oden off the court. Get real.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #1025
Brownkeg8
Mascot

The goaltending was a judgement call in real time, just like last night w/ Green's possible travel. We have all had time to look at it both & there really is no clearcut answer. The intentional was as obvious as they come as there was absolutely no intent to go for the ball as the rule states. The biggest factor as far as turning point was that was a stupid foul at that point of the game by a player Memphis needed to stay out of foul trouble to keep himself off the bench.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #1026
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I am sure a guy like CDR can really dragt a guy like Oden off the court. Get real.

I thought you said you had the game Tivo'd???

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #1027
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

And I would be willing to bet that even with a six pack in me, you still would have a hard time getting a head start on me.

What are you talking about?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #1028
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

You did bring up last year first
Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #1029
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It was the fact that he had so much trouble doing it that made it obviously intentional. Honestly, it was probably the reason the basket counted as well. Contact was made while Oden was still on the ground but CDR had to work so hard to get the foul that Oden was shooting by the time they finally called the foul.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #1030
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He can. He can also leap tall buildings and run faster than bullet trains, just like all of his Memphis teammates (who only lose when the refs job them). Or so I heard from someone from Memphis.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1031
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

You make my point right there. So, after a bad call, the Memphis team was "deflated" for nearly ten minutes of game time? You're putting the sole fact that Memphis lost on a bad call with so much time remaining? If that's the truth than Calipari should be fired for not getting his kids composed with so much time remaining. With that statement, you basically agree with my point that Memphis, not the refs, lost that game.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #1032
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Timezones for one. You're talking about the difference of an hour compared to possible 4 hours.

Was there a Newfoundland Regional this year

I can't see how timezones would have any impact, only one Region was in the eastern time zone. Kansas was two time zones away, the same as UCLA would have been if they were properly placed in the Midwest or the South. A number one seed played a game that started at 10:30 PM in their local time.

Say it was for attendance or TV ratings and I wouldn't disagree but it's just weird how the two and three seeds were given geographical advantages over number one seeds.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #1033
miami_fan
Coordinator

Brooks and Hariston better stay hot. The rest of the Ducks are struggling.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #1034
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Was there a Newfoundland Regional this year

I can't see how timezones would have any impact, only one Region was in the eastern time zone. Kansas was two time zones away, the same as UCLA would have been if they were properly placed in the Midwest or the South. A number one seed played a game that started at 10:30 PM in their local time.

Say it was for attendance or TV ratings and I wouldn't disagree but it's just weird how the two and three seeds were given geographical advantages over number one seeds.

If blame needs to be placed on something, I would go with the pod system. To me, that played more of a factor than anything else.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #1035
miami_fan
Coordinator

This pace is going to kill the Hoyas in the second half if this keeps up.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #1036
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Memphis got fucking screwed in the ass. Fucking screwed. Such BS officiating. They gout fucking screwed. How many consecutive possessions for an OSU free throws? God we got screwed. Just be fucking fair. That is the the only thing we ask. So obvious the NCAA and CBS wanted OSU in the game.

Maybe if Calipari wasn't such a huge piece of shit, this kind of stuff wouldn't bite him in the ass.

*shurg*
Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #1037
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dude, your so full of shit your eyes are brown. How many consecutive trips did OSU shoot free throws? How many illegal picks did OSU throw?

WE FUCKING GOT TO HAVE A TEAM FROM THE BIG FUCKING 10 IN THE FINAL FOUR.

how often do you see "illegal" or "moving" picks called at any time during the regular season, boner?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #1038
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

GO UNC!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #1039
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIllini View Post
Maybe if Calipari wasn't such a huge piece of shit, this kind of stuff wouldn't bite him in the ass.

*shurg*

Or if Dorsey would stop calling out opponents before Elite 8 matchups
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #1040
MrIllini
High School Varsity

sorry, just catching up

and for the record, I also would've preferred to see tOSU lose...but rooting for one team or the other in tOSU against Memphis is like choosing which arm I want to lose
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #1041
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Or if Dorsey would stop calling out opponents before Elite 8 matchups

well, that too

I will give him credit for his post-game comments about the fact that they quoted him perfectly though
Old 03-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #1042
st.cronin
General Manager

According to TroyF, you're not allowed to complain about the officiating after your team loses, no matter what. Its classless.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #1043
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just got back from the WNIT Elite 8 game where Wyoming beat South Dakota State. They get K-State at home in the WNIT Final Four.

There were probably more fans at the game today than at some of those NCAA Regional games. Over 11k
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #1044
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Don't ever mention Durant and Oden in the same post again, Oden couldn't carry Durant's jock... in fact, he's antoher Shack. He can slam the ball and that's about it. Oh well, he'll do good in the NBA.

Um, he can rebound and block shots quite well, both things that are valuable at any level of basketball.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #1045
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

hehehe

So you're saying he's a better version of Doug Smith?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #1046
st.cronin
General Manager

What happened to Hansbraugh's mouth?

knives out
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #1047
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
What happened to Hansbraugh's mouth?

Gerald Henderson tried to put "something" in it
Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #1048
st.cronin
General Manager

It would be great if he got some gold fronts.

knives out
Old 03-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #1049
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIllini View Post
hehehe

So you're saying he's a better version of Doug Smith?

lol... Douggie!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #1050
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Um, he can rebound and block shots quite well, both things that are valuable at any level of basketball.

Um.. he can also check like a hockey player, definite basketball skillz baby!

Rebound, block shots, and slam dunk... yes a baby Shaq he is!