Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #1001
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Good grief. What is the possible justification for needing a flare at a soccer/football game?

Well, I guess if you're moped breaks down/gets tossed over the banister at the game you can use the flare to attract assistance.

"Atmosphere". I know Section 8, the Chicago Fire supporters do bring in smoke bombs and flares of their own...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #1002
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Understandable... it must be nice to play in a stadium where the crowd makes noise.
Zing! Good one.

I've read from various BS Arse fans of how lacking in noise Ashburton Grove (having a tough time calling it The Em) has been so far. Hopefully, it picks up as the club as well as the fan base gets more familiar with and comfortable with the new ground.

Otherwise, it'd be damn disappointing.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #1003
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not the equivalent of the Jets, Tottenham are lovable losers.
So the Cubs, then.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #1004
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Leeds United have gone into liquidation and thus incurred an automatic 10-point penalty, which confirms their relegation from the Championship to League One. A pretty far drop from competing for European trophies just a few years prior.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #1005
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Leeds United have gone into liquidation and thus incurred an automatic 10-point penalty, which confirms their relegation from the Championship to League One. A pretty far drop from competing for European trophies just a few years prior.

Going into liquidation today seems like a smart move for them. They were almost certainly relegated anyway (would have had to score a buttload v Derby County and pray a few other results went their way) but going into liquidation today means the 10 point penalty is applied this season rather than them starting next season in League One on -10 points.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #1006
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Good grief. What is the possible justification for needing a flere at a soccer/football game?

You never know when you might need a play diagrammed.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #1007
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Nice. I had to read it twice ... but nice.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #1008
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't think the flares are sneaked into the grounds. It may have changed now, but until recently flares were allowed into stadiums in many European countries.

At least in Spain, when you see a flare in a field, it has for sure been sneaked as it's totally forbidden and you can even end in jail.

We had a huge issue some years ago when a stupid brought in a huge flare, fired it up, it escaped from his hands and crossed the whole field to ended killing a kid that was sitting with his father at the other side of the field. The TV images of the kid with the flare burning inside his chest while the father was trying to get it out of him is something that i won't forget easily.

Since then, if a flare is used in any Spanish soccer field, the guy would end in jail and the stadium closed for a few games for allowing the guy to sneak it inside.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #1009
Icy
Pro Starter

Oops, double post.

Last edited by Icy : 05-04-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #1010
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Zing! Good one.

I've read from various BS Arse fans of how lacking in noise Ashburton Grove (having a tough time calling it The Em) has been so far. Hopefully, it picks up as the club as well as the fan base gets more familiar with and comfortable with the new ground.

Otherwise, it'd be damn disappointing.

Highbury was never exactly rocking either. Arsenal crowds just don't make a lot of noise.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #1011
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
We had a huge issue some years ago when a stupid brought in a huge flare, fired it up, it escaped from his hands and crossed the whole field to ended killing a kid that was sitting with his father at the other side of the field. The TV images of the kid with the flare burning inside his chest while the father was trying to get it out of him is something that i won't forget easily.

The same thing happened at the old Arms Park during a Wales game about 10 years ago if I recall correctly. I was nowhere near, but you could still see from the commotion that something really fucked up had happened. The flare went right across the pitch and hit a guy in the neck with his daughter sitting next to him.

One of only two times I have felt physically sick during a sporting event... the other was watching scumbag Swansea City "fans" throw seats, coins and whatever they could get their hands on onto the family section at Ninian Park during a meaningless Auto Windscreens trophy game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #1012
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What a huge Goal from Clint Dempsey, Fulham look to be in the EPL for a nother year.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #1013
Critch
lolzcat

Man City's latest thuggery, missed by the referee:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj0Msw2Fttk

Seems like most of the worst stuff this season has had City in there somewhere, Thatcher on Mendes, Barton on Mendes, Barton knocking out team-mates in training, Ball today.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #1014
Katon
College Benchwarmer

When Joey Barton only barely makes your team's top three moments of thuggery, you know you've had an ugly season. After seeing that I'm glad Ball wound up giving away the winning penalty, even if it did essentially kill any lingering hope Chelsea had of the title.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #1015
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What a huge Goal from Clint Dempsey, Fulham look to be in the EPL for a nother year.

\o/ Clint
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #1016
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
When Joey Barton only barely makes your team's top three moments of thuggery, you know you've had an ugly season. After seeing that I'm glad Ball wound up giving away the winning penalty, even if it did essentially kill any lingering hope Chelsea had of the title.

At least with Barton he has talent, he's just very immature and easily wound up (having a brother in prison for murder probably doesn't help his mellow nature much as it makes him a very easy target - although that doesn't excuse his actions).

I think if Barton had a coach with a firm hand to steer him he could become a very good player indeed personally - but then again I always sign the trouble makers in FM and attempt to 'turn them around' .... I'm just a sucker for punishment me
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #1017
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Nice. I had to read it twice ... but nice.
Agreed! Brilliant!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #1018
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Highbury was never exactly rocking either. Arsenal crowds just don't make a lot of noise.
A group of people being whiny do not tend to "rock" stadiums.

What? I'm an Arsenal fan and I read Arsenal boards. I know.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #1019
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
At least with Barton he has talent, he's just very immature and easily wound up (having a brother in prison for murder probably doesn't help his mellow nature much as it makes him a very easy target - although that doesn't excuse his actions).
He should simply join Liverpool. I mean with Bellamy there, what could ever go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I think if Barton had a coach with a firm hand to steer him he could become a very good player indeed personally - but then again I always sign the trouble makers in FM and attempt to 'turn them around' .... I'm just a sucker for punishment me
Arsenal! Arsenal, I say!

Unfortunately, we're pretty well stocked in the middle of the pitch. Still, given his talent, I agree that he'd be a worthwhile signing for most teams.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #1020
Critch
lolzcat

Quiet day today, nothing much happened.

Newcastle are reported to be firing Roeder. Championship playoffs set, WBA v Wolves for one local derby, and Southampton v Derby (George Burley's team v his old team).

Oh, and the Arsenal v Chelsea game too Did it look to anybody else that Mourinho was saying goodbye before leaving at the end of the season?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #1021
MJ4H
Coordinator

Go Wolves
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #1022
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Seems like most of the worst stuff this season has had City in there somewhere, Thatcher on Mendes, Barton on Mendes, Barton knocking out team-mates in training, Ball today.

Stuart Pearce wasn't nicknamed "psycho" for no reason

Last edited by Mac Howard : 05-06-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #1023
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
Stuart Pearce wasn't nicknamed "psycho" for no reason

As the old joke goes Psycho wasn't just his nickname, it was his position

Not sure what the FA see in him that they think he should be coach of the Under-21s. Must be cheap, I guess.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #1024
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Just got caught up on all the action, i was running a bit behind... wow, tense ass final 20 minutes in Chelsea-Arsenal. I'm happy their finally dead. Congrats to Man U.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #1025
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Just caught the highlights show... great play by Dempsey on his goal. The setup was all him, so he thoroughly earned that first goal. Must be pretty sweet to do it at home and likely have it be the goal that will make the difference in keeping them up. Congrats to him.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #1026
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Going into liquidation today seems like a smart move for them. They were almost certainly relegated anyway (would have had to score a buttload v Derby County and pray a few other results went their way) but going into liquidation today means the 10 point penalty is applied this season rather than them starting next season in League One on -10 points.

Does anyone have a decent explanation of how the liquidation process works? Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #1027
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Does anyone have a decent explanation of how the liquidation process works? Thanks!!

I believe it works like declaring bankruptcy in the US. If so, the company (or team) basically is saying their debts are more than they can pay. They work with someone to come up with a plan to get themselves out of bankruptcy (and the creditors in general agree, since it's better than a complete default). The minor creditors essentially get screwed out of any chance of getting their money back.

For a football club, I would suspect they might be forced to sell some players and potentially have tight wage/salary restrictions for the forseeable future. It could also mean the dismisal of one or more directors.

I'm not familiar with English bankruptcy laws though, so someone from that side of the pond would have to confirm.

edit: I should add there is always the possibilty that the bankruptcy courts could decide it is worth more to sell off all the assets than keep it as a going concern (true liquidation), but that is unlikely to occur here as the potential for revenue generation still exists.

Last edited by moriarty : 05-07-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #1028
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Just got caught up on all the action, i was running a bit behind... wow, tense ass final 20 minutes in Chelsea-Arsenal. I'm happy their finally dead. Congrats to Man U.

Can't say I'm that upset at the result, honestly If we're going to lose the title, dominating Arsenal for half a game on their pitch while a man down is the way to do it.

Congratulations to Man U; they've played better in the Premiership than we did, they deserve to be champions. Fully earned.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #1029
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Charlton - Tottenham Spoliers

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #1030
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Just saw on Sky Sports about Michael Ball possibly stamping on Cristiano Ronaldo.

If it really happened, I'm impressed as Hell with the kid -- even beyond his amazing performance this year.

1) Apparently, he just got up and kept running at dude until he drew a penalty. Some, for example, JAR folded like a cheap accordian when he was kicked around by the Nevilles. Nice.

2) It takes a LOT to hold your temper in check -- and he has a temper -- and keep yourself in the game. Yeah, yeah, I know. Somebody will invariably say, "he's a professional, he should." Bullshit and you (whoever you may be) fucking know it. He's HUMAN, just like the rest of us. Most of us would have reacted badly (I am damn certain I would have). To have the composure to do what he apparently did (with United's title not completely assured) is nothing short of AMAZING.

With C.Ronaldo apparently growing up and Rooney still being an amazing talent, the future seems amazing for United.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #1031
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Video of the Ball-stomping-Ronaldo incident.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=56GVkhE6C...page=1&t=t&f=b

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #1032
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I continue to be amazed that these guys think they can get away with this in televised matches. Yeah, sure, the ref might not catch it, but the FA surely will.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #1033
3ric
College Starter

Check out this outrageous goal from a Swedish league game yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEaUSTiIZQ
Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #1034
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post

To be honest, I can't figure out why he did that. Unless his right foot is completely worthless, he had plenty of time to tee up a high percentage shot.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #1035
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
To be honest, I can't figure out why he did that.

Maybe just for fun. Hell, it's a game and it appears they were already winning easily if the final score was 4-0. I say break out the tricks!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #1036
Dunleavy
High School JV

the Arsenal-Chelsea match was very good, Arsenal again failed to kill off a team and allowed Chelsea to come into the game and get a desreved goal. a draw was fair but i'd much rather seen a winner for either team, now the Chelsea ManU match is meaningless

looks like Wigan will be joining Charlton and Watford, fine by me thats a Rugby city anway
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #1037
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post

That's good, but this is unreal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk1B2...related&search
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #1038
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
the Arsenal-Chelsea match was very good, Arsenal again failed to kill off a team and allowed Chelsea to come into the game and get a desreved goal. a draw was fair but i'd much rather seen a winner for either team, now the Chelsea ManU match is meaningless

looks like Wigan will be joining Charlton and Watford, fine by me thats a Rugby city anway

Wigan is AT Sheffield Sunday in the match of the day. A win and they're safe. Both teams were beyond crap last weekend so this will be interesting. A Wigan win and West Ham loss sees the Hammers go down instead.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #1039
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I want West Ham to go down. They broke the rules, lied about it, then came clean months later. The FA showed no balls in their handling of it. I hope they end up going down, because they deserve to.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #1040
bhlloy
Coordinator

Absolutely. It will be very interesting to see how the Charlton/Wigan lawsuit against the FA goes (if Wigan do end up being the final club relegated) because I don't think the FA have a leg to stand on. There is a clear precedent of having 10 points deducted for financial irregularities and the FA decided to go away from it because they didn't want to decide a relegation battle.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #1041
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know - every time the Wigan chairman opens his mouth, I'm thrilled that its his club that look the most likely to go.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #1042
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The exact scope of the irregularities hasn't been presented in the coverage that I've seen. What I know is that there was some sort of problem with the ownership of the Tevez and Mascherano contracts, where a third party was involved. What isn't as clear to me is, exactly what were the financial implications? Did West Ham wind up spending less money on them? Would a normal deal have been impossible? What cost, if any, have they experienced in normalizing Tevez's deal (one of the conditions of the current punishment)?

In addition, what precedents are there involving deduction of points? The club obviously hasn't gone into receivership (trigger of an automatic 10 pt deduction).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #1043
bhlloy
Coordinator

Chesterfield docked 9 points in 2001 for financial irregularities is the biggest one. Derby were banned from Europe in the 70's and I think there may have been a few more over the years. Way too many examples in European football to mention.

Interestingly, Spurs were docked 12 points in 1994 but had it overturned on appeal. The message certainly appears to be that if you are a big club (being in London and having very passionate and outspoken fans seems to help as well) you can get away with it. I guess that is the way of the world though.

To show how ludicrous no points deducted really is, AFC Wimbledon had three points deducted last season for playing an 18 year old in one game who hadn't told them he had played in the Welsh leagues earlier in the season and was ineligible, and a few years back Middlesborough had 3 points deducted because they had a virus outbreak and couldn't fulfill a fixture, and were relegated as a result.

I am also told that the Premier League rules are very clear as to what should merit points deductions, but I am way too lazy to actually check that out

As for what West Ham got out of the deal, they got two world class players who normally would never have even considered going to West Ham. Tevez at the time was the best player in the world looking for a new team and they went to a team at the bottom of the Premiership.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #1044
Critch
lolzcat

Anybody who has access to GolTV should keep their eye out (or set the DVR) for a program called Sacachispas that will be repeated on Thursday afternoon. It's a documentary following the players and fans of the Sacachispas, a 4th division Argentinian team from one of the roughest areas of Buenos Aires.

Very well done, the only problem is that it's subtitled and some of the talking is so fast it can sometimes be difficult to keep up. Or maybe I just read slow.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #1045
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
The exact scope of the irregularities hasn't been presented in the coverage that I've seen. What I know is that there was some sort of problem with the ownership of the Tevez and Mascherano contracts, where a third party was involved. What isn't as clear to me is, exactly what were the financial implications?

From what I've read it's not the financial implications that cause problems, it's that the EPL has specific rules against third parties owning players as it could allow the third party influence over a game for gambling purposes.

It appears that the FA bottled it big time. They thought West Ham would go down anyway so they hoped they could avoid their responsibility and get away with doing nothing. Now it looks like being a big mess, unless Man Utd and Wigan do us all a favor and send West Ham down this weekend.

Last edited by Critch : 05-08-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #1046
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
As for what West Ham got out of the deal, they got two world class players who normally would never have even considered going to West Ham. Tevez at the time was the best player in the world looking for a new team and they went to a team at the bottom of the Premiership.
West Ham wasn't at the bottom at the time they made the purchases, though... they were coming off a relatively good season. And if the players themselves wouldn't have considered the move, then why did the third parties consent to it?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #1047
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
From what I've read it's not the financial implications that cause problems, it's that the EPL has specific rules against third parties owning players as it could allow the third party influence over a game for gambling purposes.
I know that they have the rules. The first question is, what do those rules state about punishment? The second question is, assuming that punishment is somewhat discretionary, what are the precedents? The third question is, what are the mitigating and aggravating factors?

The extent to which West Ham benefited from the arrangement is certainly germaine to any question of discretionary punishment.

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 05-08-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #1048
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

1) It cost them MUCH less to acquire the players since they were not full owned by West Ham (not allowed).

2) They knowingly covered up the illegal contract situation.

3) Once Liverpool brought the issue to the league's attention (when acquiring Maschirano), West Ham then pled guilty.

So they broke an explicit league rule, covered it up (new ownership included) and only came clean once they were caught. On top of that, they had to put together an entirely new contract to play Tevez in the game last weekend, and every other club has pointed out that they did so outside the transfer window.

They knowinlgy deceived the league. There is assloads of precedent for point dedecutions or expulsion from competions such as the FA Cup for fielding ineligible players. It's pretty obvious by any measure that Tevez and Maschirano (while with West Ham) were ineligible by FA rules.

What's worse is this opens up a HUGE can of worms for the future. What if Wigan magically shows up with an all-star team from around the world on Sunday, plays them all and wins the game? THe FA has now established that's only worth a fine - so you have absolute incentive to take a 10 million dollar fine and break the rules when the difference between being relegated and keeping yourself is over 100 million dollars for that year.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #1049
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The complicating factor is that the FA signed off on the transfers originally, so outside of the broken rule about third-party involvement (and I realize this is a big issue) both players were legitimately registered to play in England. That's why West Ham was allowed to sign a new contract with Tevez, it's similar to Everton signing the transfer of Tim Howard in the spring, as long as the player isn't changing teams alterations in contract terms seem to be kosher outside the transfer window.

If Wigan magically show up with this all-star team, then there are more issues than just the question of contract ownership, and the authority for docking them points would be much more clearly established.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #1050
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
and a few years back Middlesborough had 3 points deducted because they had a virus outbreak and couldn't fulfill a fixture, and were relegated as a result.

I agreed with this one, to be honest. If I recall correctly, the fixture in question was one with Blackburn and Middlesborough, due to injuries, illness, and also (not insignificantly) some really bad personnel management, couldn't field a full team. However, and here's the kicker, they neglected to tell Blackburn that they wouldn't be showing up for the game. I think that's worth a 3-point deduction (essentially a forfeit).

But yeah, the whole thing's a bit arbitrary. But that's the FA for you.