Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #1001
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Nova just does not miss open shots.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #1002
JeeberD
General Manager

G'Town's making me looks smart so far...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #1003
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Good game by the 'Horns. The two opening games in Atlanta look good, with Duke-LSU and Texas-WV.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #1004
Vince
Pro Starter

Georgetown just destroyed my bracket, which was looking really good up until that point.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #1005
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
I am loving this Arizona Villanova game. Arizona will just not go away.

Not too many coaches as crafty as Midnight Lute
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #1006
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

BS foul call on Radenovic there.....This Villanova team definitely has a shot at a title, but they seem to get away with carries on nearly every possession.

Come on, Zonies..
Old 03-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #1007
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Bsak, there are only two teams that I truly believe get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls.... Duke and North Carolina. Also please keep in mind that I am not just "throwing this out there".. I am a big college hoops follower and former player of the game myself. Watch some old games involving the Blue Devils and the Tar Heels and keep tabs on the close calls.. Check out which direction those calls go.

As for the "Big Six" comment, my friend if you have any idea on how D-I Athletics are run (and I'm sure that you do), you would know that these teams/conferences have every single advantage possible going into the actual competiton.. To see the Bradley's, Wichita's, and Bucknell's be able to accomplish what they do is truly amazing when considering ALL factors involved.

MylesKnight, meet Gonzaga
Gonzaga, meet MylesKnight
Old 03-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #1008
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn that is some serious backpedaling by Nantz and Packer
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #1009
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Time out right before Adams drains the jumper. Ouch.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #1010
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Damn that is some serious backpedaling by Nantz and Packer
Indeed it was -- although it certainly seemed like it was mostly Nantz and not much from Packer.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #1011
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Ok, which do you guys hate more?

1) NFL games: Extra Point, Timeout, Kickoff, Timeout....
2) NCAAB games: Stoppage in play, Timeout, Failed Indbounds play, Timeout....
Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #1012
miami_fan
Coordinator

Helluva effort by Arizona. I think they may have had to play in the toughest environment of the weekend.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #1013
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The nightmare is over, for now. Kudos to Texas. As expected, the fanbase is all at once relieved, angry, depressed, and generally resigned to facing another year in the current tenure. Some still fanatically cling to the hope that Sendek will leave and that Rick Barnes (he of the "I don't want to coach in the ACC" remark recently) will come in and save the program. The rest of us hope something, anything happens, but don't expect it to. *sigh*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #1014
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
The nightmare is over, for now. Kudos to Texas. As expected, the fanbase is all at once relieved, angry, depressed, and generally resigned to facing another year in the current tenure. Some still fanatically cling to the hope that Sendek will leave and that Rick Barnes (he of the "I don't want to coach in the ACC" remark recently) will come in and save the program. The rest of us hope something, anything happens, but don't expect it to. *sigh*

That's how RPI's hockey coaching situation has gone for the past 5 or so years. Every time it appears our coach may have done enough to get rid of himself, he throws together a decent season and you can't really find a reason to fire him.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #1015
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

What exactly is the expectation of the Wolfpack fan base? Do they expect to be at the Duke/North Carolina? I don't see them making it to that level. I can't see Barnes leaving. Not to take anything away from what Barnes is doing, but it would be a helluva tougher to recruit the state of North Carolina with those other schools in that region as opposed to be the king of a basketball rich state like Texas.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #1016
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Not to take anything away from what Barnes is doing, but it would be a helluva tougher to recruit the state of North Carolina with those other schools in that region as opposed to be the king of a basketball rich state like Texas.

Well, the DID get a commitment from Kevin Durant, a Top 5 recruit from Maryland, who chose Texas over Duke, North Carolina, and just about every other ACC school.

And you are correct in that Texas is an emerging high school basketball power. The Houston area is starting to pump out a lot of high quality recruits. The UIL (the state entity that governs public high school sports in Texas) made a change a few years back that allowed high school basketball players to join summer leagues and other all-star tours. That has allowed the players to develop their games a lot more than before.

I just don't see Barnes leaving. He was in the ACC before, and saw how intense basketball is taken there. He knows at Texas that Mack Brown is going to get the lion's share of pressure, with Augie Garrido getting the next highest amount. He makes over $1.2 million per year, at a high prestige, low pressure program. I don't see the draw for him to go to NC State from the Big 12 like there was for Roy Williams to leave Kansas to go back to his Alma Mater.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #1017
kingfc22
Head Coach

Have times been announced for Thursday and Friday?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #1018
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm a little puzzled by this as well. I had heard that Sendak was under fire there, but it felt like the NC State teams of the last couple of seasons had been decent.

Valvano: 209-114 64.7%
Sendek: 170-118 59.0%

Obviously the title makes a huge difference in terms of the evaluation of the coaches, but Valvano had all kinds of heat about running a crooked program while I have heard nothing of the sort around Sendek. But I also wonder what kind of expectations the NC State fans have if Sendek is regarded as a failure, particularly over the last few seasons.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #1019
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Sounds a lot like Chuck Amato, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #1020
MrBug708
Head Coach

*sigh*

Roy Williams is crying again
Old 03-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #1021
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Well, the DID get a commitment from Kevin Durant, a Top 5 recruit from Maryland, who chose Texas over Duke, North Carolina, and just about every other ACC school.

And you are correct in that Texas is an emerging high school basketball power. The Houston area is starting to pump out a lot of high quality recruits. The UIL (the state entity that governs public high school sports in Texas) made a change a few years back that allowed high school basketball players to join summer leagues and other all-star tours. That has allowed the players to develop their games a lot more than before.

I just don't see Barnes leaving. He was in the ACC before, and saw how intense basketball is taken there. He knows at Texas that Mack Brown is going to get the lion's share of pressure, with Augie Garrido getting the next highest amount. He makes over $1.2 million per year, at a high prestige, low pressure program. I don't see the draw for him to go to NC State from the Big 12 like there was for Roy Williams to leave Kansas to go back to his Alma Mater.

Lute Olson owns Houston recruiting IMO
Old 03-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #1022
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Let me be that guy and say.. GODDAMN is my bracket hosed. I've actually been shutout after Round 2 of one regional. That's right, NONE of my 4 selections to advance from that bracket made it through the weekend
Old 03-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #1023
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
What exactly is the expectation of the Wolfpack fan base? Do they expect to be at the Duke/North Carolina? I don't see them making it to that level. I can't see Barnes leaving. Not to take anything away from what Barnes is doing, but it would be a helluva tougher to recruit the state of North Carolina with those other schools in that region as opposed to be the king of a basketball rich state like Texas.

Without looking at any information, I'm going to guess that NC State by most measurements is the 3rd most successful school in ACC history. They have two national titles and have had multiple small runs of strength in the early 50s when the conference was first founded, with David Thompson in the early 70s, and in the mid 80s under Valvano. I would assume that NC State fans believe that if any team is going to step up and approach the duke/unc levle in the conference long term, that it should be them.

From where I sit, they have as good a shot as anyone of doing it and I'd love to see it happen.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #1024
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Let me be that guy and say.. GODDAMN is my bracket hosed. I've actually been shutout after Round 2 of one regional. That's right, NONE of my 4 selections to advance from that bracket made it through the weekend

Quick guess = the regional was DC and you had UK, Illinois, UNC and Tennessee?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #1025
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Whoops, mistaken. I did have UConn, but they were going to lose in the sweet 16.

Illinois? Fuck You.

North Carolina? FUuuuuuck YOu. (quote from one of my friends, telling me the result.. "hey.. UNC can't be that good.. I just saw on the TV that some guy named George Mason just beat UNC singlehandedly..."

Tennnessee?? FUUUUUuuuUUuuUUuuUck YOU!

It's alright, one of my ESPN Brackets has four of my Elite 8 out. (Ohio St, Iowa, Pittm UNC... All the teams I picked to lose in the Elite 8, granted but.. Owww)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #1026
miami_fan
Coordinator

Atl= 3/4 in the regional semi finals.......Screw you Iowa
Oak= 2/4 in the regional semi finals...........Screw you Kansas and Indiana
Was= Absolutely horrid 1/4.......Screw you Illinois, North Carolina, and Tennessee
Minn= 3/4 This was my hardest pick of the bracket so I will give Ohio St. a pass
Old 03-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #1027
kingfc22
Head Coach

It's funny how I filled out a bunch of brackets on different sites, but the one I did first has the best score.

Atl= 4/4 in the regional semi finals
Oak= 3/4 in the regional semi finals - Kansas was my only loser
Was= 1/4 - Only UCONN survived
Minn= 4/4

I did have Kansas and UNC in my Elite 8, but my Final 4 is still intact.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #1028
miami_fan
Coordinator

The schedule for Thu/Fri
Thurs. 3/23 7:10, 7:27 p.m. (1) Duke-(4) LSU, (1) Memphis-(13) Bradley
9:40, 9:57 p.m. (2) Texas-(6) West Virginia, (2) UCLA-(3) Gonzaga

Fri. 3/24 7:10, 7:27 p.m. (1) Villanova-(4) B.C., (7) Wichita St.-(11) G. Mason

9:40, 9:57 p.m. (2) Florida-(7) Georgetown, (1) UConn-(5) Washington
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #1029
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Depends on who you talk to. I personally expect NCAAs at least 7-8 out of 10 years (there will be years where things just go wrong, see Louisville this year) and S16s in about half of those (that's compared to Duke which now has nine straight years of S16s, lest anyone think I'm getting a little too unreasonable) and at least one or two advances beyond that round. 20 wins is a given. I don't expect to beat UNC/Duke every chance we get (we've never had large amounts of success against UNC in particular) but rolling over for a 24-point beatdown at home when you supposedly have had your best team in fifteen years and UNC was supposed to be weaker (though we know that wasn't as severe a weakening as expected) is not going to fly. Shoot, I'd take Les Robinson as my coach against UNC over any other State coach. He couldn't beat Campbell or Florida Atlantic, but he could beat Carolina.

Now, there are some wide-eyed fanatics who swear up and down that we could beat UNC and Duke "if only we cared enough". It just isn't that easy. I liken the UNC/Duke run in the last 15 years to UCLA during the 1960s, essentially a once-in-a-lifetime set of circumstances that is all but impossible to match. You have to wait it out and hope they come down some after the present staffs retire (again like what happened with UCLA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

I don't dispute. I've mentioned elsewhere that I just don't understand the attraction with Barnes at all. I never particularly liked him at Clemson and it seems like one of the few reasons State fans want him is "because he wouldn't back down to Dean". Me, I could care less that he got into a shouting match with Dean one time. I just remember his Clemson teams always played some fugly basketball.

Quote:
I'm a little puzzled by this as well. I had heard that Sendak was under fire there, but it felt like the NC State teams of the last couple of seasons had been decent.

Valvano: 209-114 64.7%
Sendek: 170-118 59.0%

Obviously the title makes a huge difference in terms of the evaluation of the coaches, but Valvano had all kinds of heat about running a crooked program while I have heard nothing of the sort around Sendek. But I also wonder what kind of expectations the NC State fans have if Sendek is regarded as a failure, particularly over the last few seasons.

Therein lies the problem. Sendek overall has generally had a winning program and matched V's 5 straight NCAA appearances. And yes, V didn't exactly look for character when he recruited. However, that 1983 run allowed a lot of people to forgive him a lot of stuff that went on during the late 80s. The fact that he was forced out and then died of cancer a few years later virtually elevated him to martyr status (I kid you not). They also loved the fact that Jimmy V could bench coach during a game as well as anyone and, most importantly to some, would show emotion and passion in the game. It drives many crazy that Sendek just seems to stand there and absorb things rather than being demostrative and asserting like Coach K (oddly enough, they'll rip K because his passion leads to dropping profanity on the officials or whatever, never minding the fact that any such coach we could get like him would be doing the same thing).

There's a lot more stuff here than simply records, but I don't want to threadjack more than I already have. It's a very long story to say the least.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #1030
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Helluva effort by Arizona. I think they may have had to play in the toughest environment of the weekend.

They only had to play one game.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #1031
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ATL = 1/4
OAK = 1/4
DC = 3/4
MIN = 2/4

And the thing is, this was one of my BETTER years. If I'd gone with my gut, rather than listening to the commentators on ESPN the day before the tournament, I'd have more teams in the sweet 16 for sure.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #1032
JeeberD
General Manager

ATL - 4/4
OAK - 2/4
DC - 2/4
MIN - 3/4

I'm pretty happy with my brackets this year. I have two of my EE out, but I feel pretty good about my other six...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #1033
Vince
Pro Starter

My bracket is looking better than usual, though I had Ohio State in the final four
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:11 AM   #1034
cmp
Pro Rookie

My brackets alright, I'm kicking myself for switching my pick of Georgetown over Ohio State at the last second. Guess I should just go with my first instinct. I had Kansas in the Final Four, so that hurts quite a bit.

ATL - 4/4
OAK - 3/4
DC - 1/4
MIN - 3/4
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #1035
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

First off, I want to say a big "Fuck you!" to all those ESPN (and other) "experts" that had Washington listed as the obligatory 12/5 upset to Utah State.

Secondly, man what a sweet game vs. Illinois - too bad about the foul call disparity, but that was a gutty performance by the Huskies, and how can you not like watching Brandon Roy?

Third, while it's a definite longshot, I like that we have another crack at Conneticut - in 1998 they barely topped the Huskies in the Sweet 16 on a last-minute shot by Rip Hamilton.

This was supposed to be an in-between year for Washington after losing Nate Robinson, Tre Simmons, Will Conroy and Hakeem Rollins and waiting for Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter, Adrian Oliver and Phil Nelson to show up. Give a tremendous amount of credit to Brandon Roy for sticking around for his senior season - he did it in large part to help the Huskies keep from backsliding too much from last season, and in the process he's boosted his draft stock from a 2nd rounder into a lottery pick. Also big props to Bobby Jones, Lorenzo Romar's first UW recruit who has been a terrific role player - the best defender on the team, a decent shooter and a tough guy that was willing to play as an undersized 4 for his first 3 seasons until we finally landed some bigger frontcourt players. And what can you say about Lorenzo Romar except that he's about as genuinely nice, decent, well-spoken and humorous as you could ask for in a coach, and to top it off he's an excellent recruiter and good coach. The UW is damn lucky they were rejected by Quinn Snyder and Dan Monson and "settled" for Romar.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #1036
MrBug708
Head Coach

UW wont be as good next year as they were this year
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #1037
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
UW wont be as good next year as they were this year
We'll see. Losing Brandon Roy, Bobby Jones, Mike Jensen and Jamaal Williams is going to be tough. But, Justin Dentmon really grew up in his first year and Jon Brockman should improve as well. If Spencer Hawes lives up to his billing he should be an instant impact guy, and Quincy Pondexter also sounds like a stud-in-the-making. Appleby will be back as our zone-busting 3-pt shooter.

What we'll miss is having that stud senior to carry the team like we had in Roy this season to make up for losing Robinson, Conroy, Simmons and Rollins. But, the talent level next season will probably be the highest it's been for Washington under Romar (and maybe the highest in Huskies history).

People didn't think the Huskies would be as good this year as they were last year, and yet they've won 26 games and are in the Sweet 16 again this year.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #1038
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im not saying UW will turn into WSU by any stretch, but next year is still going to be questionable. As bad as this year was, the PAC-10 *could* be worst next year.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #1039
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola

Andy Katz has lost his mind.

Yes, Andy, beating the #16 and #8 seeds for 9 years is equally impressive as beating the best teams in the nation, ten times over. This is really reaching.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #1040
kingfc22
Head Coach

The games resume tonight. Woot! I'll be in Oakland rooting for Bradley.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #1041
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I've got UCLA, Memphis, Boston College, and Duke tonight....but I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzaga and Bradley win.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #1042
Tigercat
College Starter

Probably the biggest LSU basketball game for me in my life tonight. (Was fairly young when Dale Brown had his best tourney runs)

If Duke shoots their best, no way we can win. Just hope the guys play smart and loose, and then the shots will just fall where they may. If they do that, should be a great game that we have a chance to win in the end.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #1043
MJ4H
Coordinator

Good luck to the Tigers. I'm a Razorback fan first and an SEC fan second.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #1044
Groundhog
Coordinator

Taking myself an extended lunch break today to watch Duke-LSU. Not sure who I'm rooting for... never seen LSU play but I like the look of their roster and I'm interested in seeing this Big Baby fella all the kids are talking about.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #1045
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can't wait for the WVU-Texas rematch. If we can hit our open looks and force some turnovers, I like our chances.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #1046
MJ4H
Coordinator

Bwahaha that Glen Davis break was great.

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-23-2006 at 06:19 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #1047
Easy Mac

very uneven reffing tonight. they seem willing to let the bigger fouls go, but are calling the ticky tack fouls. both duke and lsu are sloppy tonight.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #1048
Easy Mac

dola, i loved the block on williams though, that was hilarious.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #1049
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, Duke looking especially ragged over that first 8 minutes. They'll have one of their signature runs (maybe even 2 or 3). If LSU can weather this (these) storm(s), then they have a shot.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #1050
Easy Mac

paulus looks completely lost out there.