Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #1001
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|99512|1|,00.html

Quote:
ABC Finds Wednesday Win with 'Lost'
(Thursday, January 12 08:46 AM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Fast National ratings for Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2006

Two hours' worth of "Lost" -- one new, one a clip show -- helped ABC hold off CBS and score a ratings victory Wednesday night.

ABC drew an 8.9 rating/14 share in primetime to beat CBS' 8.3/13. NBC finished third at 6.2/10. There was a fairly steep drop from there, with fourth-place FOX coming in at 3.3/5. The WB averaged 1.9/3 and UPN 1.6/2.

"Lost: Revelation," a clip show catching viewers up on the events of this season, scored an 8.5/13 for ABC at 8 p.m. "Still Standing," 6.0/10, and "Yes, Dear," 5.9/9, put CBS in second. NBC's "E-Ring" took third with a 5.3/8. "That '70s Show" and "Stacked" were fourth for FOX, with The WB's "One Tree Hill" coming in fifth. The premiere of UPN's drama "South Beach" struggled, scoring a 1.7/3.

At 9 p.m., a new "Lost" snagged the night's biggest audience with an 11.9/18. "Criminal Minds" was a strong second for CBS at 10.3/15. "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition" fell from its premiere last week, managing only a 4.5/7 for NBC. FOX stayed in fourth with "Nanny 911," 3.5/5. A "Beauty and the Geek" casting special on The WB was fifth, edging the second hour of the "South Beach" premiere on UPN.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #1002
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Bye. See you later.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #1003
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Bye. See you later.

PWND
Old 01-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #1004
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Bye. See you later.

But a lot of his friends have stopped watching?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #1005
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
No, but I'd like some numbers that ABC execs would actually give a damn about.

Well season 1 averaged 18.5 million viewers. Season 2 so far has averaged 21.5 million viewers. Perhaps more importantly the show has consistent ranked in the top 5 shows on network television.

Troubling signs? The first 3 episodes of Season 2 averaged 23 million viewers whereas the last 3 shown (prior to this week's episode) averaged only 20.4 million viewers. Or in other words there has been about a 10% dropoff from the beginning of season 2 until now. However, they are still averaging 15% more viewers than season 1, so I suspect the execs are very pleased.

I don't think the ratings for this week's show are out yet, but if they pulled in 20 million viewers or more then I think it's fair to say the core fans are not ditching the show yet due to the long layoffs (or if they are, new fans are taking their place).

EDIT: Mediaweek is estimating 20.5 million viewers for last night's show, or just about a 1% drop from the audience just prior to the layoff. Looks like the fans haven't given up yet.

Source for the raw data came from: This Site

Last edited by moriarty : 01-13-2006 at 01:52 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #1006
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I've checked out of late but I'm back to say

Walt!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #1007
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Locke is one of the "Others" just like the other group had an outsider in their group I think Locke is one.

I'm willing to bet that he isn't... Locke was on the plane, and the "others" appear to be as trapped on the island as the Oceanic survivors are.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #1008
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I'm willing to bet that he isn't... Locke was on the plane, and the "others" appear to be as trapped on the island as the Oceanic survivors are.

Maybe Locke's rich father was an investor in the island project. He sent Locke (who was desparate to please his old man) to the island to figure out what went wrong with the investment. Maybe he even convinced Locke that that the "power" of the island would help him walk again.

Now, as to how Locke managed to bring a plane down on the island, and do so without killing everyone ....
Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #1009
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

A couple of thoughts that haven't been mentioned.

1) Hurley didn't appear at all in the one hour recap (except in the background) and had two quick appearances in the new episode (mostly to let Sawyer get a crack in).

Is he the latest "I want to do other projects" actor who will be bumped off next?

2) Watching the recap allowed me to remember that when Eko gave Locke the tape, Locke made a comment about destiny bringing the two of them together, and Eko replied, "don't confuse cooincidence with destiny."

The Lost character John Locke is becoming less like the philosopher John Locke and more like the philospher Rouseau (sp?), that is, spiritual instead of practical.

3) When Locke looked into the monster for the first time, he was happy and awed in a good sense. When Eko saw the monster, he was also awed, but he never shows happiness. (Badass dudes never smile) So Locke must have seen scenes from his life, too. What in his past life could have made Locke smile? According to his back story, there wasn't anything to cheer about.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #1010
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
What in his past life could have made Locke smile? According to his back story, there wasn't anything to cheer about.

Helen? I'm sure there are other things, maybe from his childhood that made him smile. In his flashbacks we have only seen him from his late 30's, early 40's on.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #1011
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
A couple of thoughts that haven't been mentioned.

1) Hurley didn't appear at all in the one hour recap (except in the background) and had two quick appearances in the new episode (mostly to let Sawyer get a crack in).

Is he the latest "I want to do other projects" actor who will be bumped off next?

The only thing about Hurley is he is the one who is most heavily tied with the numbers. So I wonder how they would kill him off if they do.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-13-2006 at 02:34 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #1012
G-Man
High School JV

Question I hope you are right as I like this show and want it to succeed but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Any show is bound to lose some viewers over time, but from the ratings released, your statement of "its losing fans" may hold true within the selected sample you have provided, but it doesn't look like that is true in looking at the larger scale.

Give it time and let's see how it does. Would most people agree that season 1 was better than season 2, to this point? Much better?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #1013
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think for the most part season 1 was better since it seemed as if the lag times between new episodes were shorter. It also seemed as if I looked forward to the new episodes more.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #1014
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Now in seaosn two what wiht the slow pace of many of the episodes and then the 6 week break with other smaller ones, my wife has almost "lost" interest (pardon the pun). I imagine that thousands of other fans are feeling the same way. ABC needs to pay attention to what Fox is doing with 24!

I agree completely.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #1015
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I think for the most part season 1 was better since it seemed as if the lag times between new episodes were shorter. It also seemed as if I looked forward to the new episodes more.

Season 1 also seemed to have mini cliff-hangers at the end of each episode. I remember swearing at the end of almost every episode because I wasn't ready for it to be done yet. This season they all seem to end pretty nicely so there isn't quite as much desire to jump right into the next one.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #1016
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Give it time and let's see how it does. Would most people agree that season 1 was better than season 2, to this point? Much better?

Better at this point in their respective seasons, or better as a whole. they still have 2x as many episodes to go this season. I think this half of the season has been just as good as the first half from last year. It was just new last year.

Besides, its not like the other sophomore shows are gaining viewers like Lost half. Maybe only Grey's Anatomy looks like another emerging hit, with everyone panning Housewives.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #1017
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Remember back in the last episode of Season 1, while sailing on the raft Sawyer was singing a Bob Marley song called "Redemption Song" and then Michael asked him what he was singing.....check out the lyrics to Bob Marley's "Redemption Song"

Old pirates yes they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I from the
Bottom less pit
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the almighty
We forward in this generation triumphantly
All I ever had is songs of freedom
Won't you help to sing these songs of freedom
Cause all I ever had redemption songs, redemption songs

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds
Have no fear for atomic energy
Cause none of them can stop the time

How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look
Some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill the book

Won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom
Cause all I ever had, redemption songs, redemption songs, redemption songs

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds
Have no fear for atomic energy
Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look
Yes some say it's just part of it
We've got to fulfill the book

Won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom
Cause all I ever had, redemption songs
All I ever had, redemption songs
These songs of freedom, songs of freedom

What do you guys think? Are they clues or are the writers just messin' with us?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #1018
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Maybe only Grey's Anatomy looks like another emerging hit, with everyone panning Housewives.

people are starting to not like Housewives? i haven't heard that. i don't watch the show at all, but i thought the show was still big-time. i know as far as individual acclaim is concerned the stars on Housewives have it better than the cast from Lost. they've all won awards and have tons of endorsement deals, Eva Longoria in particular. i'm sure there isn't one person on Lost who wouldn't want to have the success and buzz that Eva has.

Last edited by Anthony : 01-17-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #1019
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I watched all of season 1 again and then watched the episodes that I recorded from season 2. I've actually come to the conclusion that besides the pilot episode(s) I like both seasons about equally. The worst part of season 2, for me, is that the chick off of CSI NY has been pouting around the island. I like Eko, and I'm excited about tomorrow's episode where we might learn more about the others.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:02 AM   #1020
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Here is the problem with Lost:

In the first season we were introduced to a group of characters who were stranded on an island. We knew exactly as much about their predicament as they did. We learned as much about their predicament as they did. There were a few blips in this dynamic (Locke seeing the creature but never speaking of it) which caused concern, but for the most part the mystery was compelling because not only did we have no clue what was going on, but neither did any of the characters on the show. Locke was given a pass because he had a mystical air about him and seemed, in many ways, above their situation and, perhaps, the key to it.

The 2nd season has completely wrecked that dynamic. First we meet the guys on the raft. Then we meet Desmond. Then we meet the tailies. The flood gates of character introduction have burst and the extradoniary worth of each character has been washed away. Charlie's near death experience in season one was shocking--did anyone give a shit when Shannon died? Life means much less as the possibilities of character introduction have seemingly become endless. What's worse is that the show's narrative has reinforced this ambivalence towards character. How many episodes this season have passed without a peep out of Jack? Kate? Hurley? Locke? Charlie? Sayid? (speaking of Sayid, did he always look disturbingly like Scott Stapp, or did I only realize it after he became a giant pussy?) For much of the season, their perspective has been replaced by those of the tailies, many of whom were quickly dispatched of and revealed as nothing more than plot conduits: a decriptive taint that has bled off on to all of the other characters on the show.

We can no longer empathize because the story no longer seems as if it is being told from a human perspective, but rather through the lense of an uninvolved trickster. During the several taily episodes when they spoke in hushed, mysterious tones about the "others" while revealing nothing--was there anyone who didn't wish someone would slap them and demand to know exactly what the fuck they were talking about? This was eventually resolved, but at this point there have been so many characters now that know so much that we don't that it has revealed the death knell character of any mystery: the man be behind the curtain.

On rereading that, I realize that I completely jumbled up my two main points: the highly diminished value of each character, and the loss of human perspective in storytelling. But I'm drunk as hell, whatayagonnado?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #1021
Anthony
Banned

great analysis Herd. i agree, something seems off this year. might just be the 6 week layoff took some wind out of the sails for me. or, it might just be storytelling-wise the payoff isn't great this year. when you do a show, there needs to be an arc where one storyline starts, builds up, and right before the climax or "payoff" or conclusion - the apex of the arc, you get introduced to another storyline. so that as one storyline is finishing another is starting.

but the thing is you need that first storyline to conclude. you need closure. you need the apex of the first storyline's arc to then go down. right now Lost is simply throwing new storylines, new twists, and not concluding anything. nothing is getting resolved this season. just building up and building up. the problem is there's now too many characters. Herd is correct when he says the value of each character now is dimished. who cares if [insert character here] dies? [insert new character's name here] will simply take their place in terms of prominence.

Last edited by Anthony : 01-18-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #1022
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
Herd is correct when he says the value of each character now is dimished. who cares if [insert character here] dies? [insert new character's name here] will simply take their place in terms of prominence.

I'm guessing the producers did some of this on purpose. If there was just the original 10-12 key players and a significant portion held them over the barrell with contact negotiations they would have to pay up or cancel the show. This way they can continue with the ensemble cast, and if a few people balk and leave (or take their new found fame and make stellar movies like the Fog) at least they won't run out of islanders.

Doesn't necessarily make for good TV though.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #1023
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

On the official podcast they said Dharma is a acronym for something.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #1024
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Don't
HARM
Alex

Last edited by Poli : 01-18-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #1025
Daimyo
College Starter

they've said before they have enough ideas for the series to run five seasons. There is no way they could have done that without introducing new characters. In one of the earlier podcasts they mentioned that one of their goals is to make sure the risk of death is always present for every character and do that they needed to replenish the pool of characters. They felt if they didn't not kill off a main character or two each season the danger would not feel real enough.

I worry that they're going to get into the Dragon Ball-Z effect where they just keep raising the stakes of what they reveal us with until its all meaningless because there is no where else they can go (there are monsters! there's a hatch! the monster is made of smoke! there is a guy in the hatch! look more survivors! there are multiple hatches! the monster reads minds!).

From here on out its probably going be a balancing act for them between revealing too much and dragging the show out. I think history shows they don't have much of a chance to do it successfully. They'll certainly leave most people disapointed with the "big reveal."
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #1026
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
they've said before they have enough ideas for the series to run five seasons. There is no way they could have done that without introducing new characters. In one of the earlier podcasts they mentioned that one of their goals is to make sure the risk of death is always present for every character and do that they needed to replenish the pool of characters. They felt if they didn't not kill off a main character or two each season the danger would not feel real enough.

I worry that they're going to get into the Dragon Ball-Z effect where they just keep raising the stakes of what they reveal us with until its all meaningless because there is no where else they can go (there are monsters! there's a hatch! the monster is made of smoke! there is a guy in the hatch! look more survivors! there are multiple hatches! the monster reads minds!).

From here on out its probably going be a balancing act for them between revealing too much and dragging the show out. I think history shows they don't have much of a chance to do it successfully. They'll certainly leave most people disapointed with the "big reveal."

I think five years may be dragging it out a bit too much. Three to four would seem to be a good amount for this series. I worry that the last couple years will turn into another X-Files situation, with a plot so convoluted that, even when stuff is revealed, it makes it difficult to care.

At this point, though, I still think the show is great and that season two is just as good as season one.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #1027
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

WALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #1028
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Friggin students. I missed the last part of the Jack and his wife conversation.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #1029
Poli
FOFC Survivor

THE BARRACKS DUTY OFFICER IS NOT IN.

YOUR QUESTIONS AND REQUESTS WILL BE ANSWERED AT APPROXIMATELY 2100.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #1030
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Friggin students. I missed the last part of the Jack and his wife conversation.

I hope you made them cry.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #1031
Poli
FOFC Survivor

No one has cried today. I haven't sent anyone to the looney bin, either. I must be losing my touch.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #1032
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Woah! I saw that!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #1033
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Why ask her and not the person who was in the FREAKING REPUBLICAN GUARD how to train an army?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #1034
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Gah! I missed the line. What did he say, bearcat?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #1035
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
How long would it take to train an army?

And she said, "French Army, less then 2 minutes."

Last edited by gottimd : 01-18-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #1036
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Why ask her and not the person who was in the FREAKING REPUBLICAN GUARD how to train an army?

Because he wants to train an army and get laid.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #1037
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He asks Ana Lucia about killing one of the others and she says yes, he then asks her about being a cop and she says she was a cop. Then he asks her about how long it would take to train an army. She looks dumbfounded at the question.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #1038
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Next episode, new character

Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #1039
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Because he wants to train an army and get laid.

Well Sayid may be a little lonely after Shannnon being killed so theres no telling what may happen on the mountain you know....
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #1040
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

G-Man's friends are gonna miss out!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #1041
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Did anyone sence some confusion on Boat Man's face when Jack mentioned Ethan? And... nice to see Alex finally make an appearance.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #1042
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

I dunno, I think I'd bet on the LAPD vs. the Republican Guard.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #1043
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think I may have tried to ask, oh I don't know, 50 other questions while I had boat guy's ear.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #1044
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
I dunno, I think I'd bet on the LAPD vs. the Republican Guard.

The Republican Guard ain't no Rodney King.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #1045
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

familiar with how the rebublican guard fared in recent wars at all?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #1046
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
familiar with how the rebublican guard fared in recent wars at all?

Familiar with how the LAPD is a joke?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #1047
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Familiar with how the LAPD is a joke?

well, they sure got OJ good, didn't they???
Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #1048
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, I REALLY enjoyed tonight's episode. might be my favorite of the season so far.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #1049
Swaggs
Coordinator

Who is Alex?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #1050
kingfc22
Head Coach

Uhh, wow!

So many questions? How do they know so much about the survivors? Is Locke really a bad guy (seemingly putting aaron into the ocean)? Jack wants to start an army?

We finally found out what happened to Jack's wife. Eko, Sawyer, Ana, Locke, Jack, Sayid would make up for a pretty bad ass team if they woulld have all gone after Michael together.

Hopefully this means we won't be seeing much of Michael for a while.

Ok, I'm done rambling on for now.