Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #1001
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Aparently the "major announcement" is that the Leafs have signed a seven-year deal with a local radio station.

It's about the Leafs so that qualifies as major. Hell, Ken Klee getting a cold is major news.

People here were pissed with Cherry on HNIC last game when after the first period Ron asks about the Flames' 2-0 lead and Cherry goes on to discuss how Mats should have dumped it in and it wasn't Leetch's fault and BLAH BLAH BLAH...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #1002
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
It's about the Leafs so that qualifies as major. Hell, Ken Klee getting a cold is major news. ..

Kenny has a cold??

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #1003
Karim
College Starter

Hatcher gets 3 games for his elbow on Lombardi... I'm surprised he got anything at all (not that he didn't deserve it).

NHLPA is filing a grievance against shaving goalie pads down to 10 inches like they were 10 years ago even though NHLPA members were on the committee that approved the recommendation...
Old 05-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #1004
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

NHLPA is filing a grievance against shaving goalie pads down to 10 inches like they were 10 years ago even though NHLPA members were on the committee that approved the recommendation...

Total bargaining move....this might get ugly.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #1005
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
They must have come up with that at the last meeting.

Scene: Somewhere in Toronto...

Goodenow: How's public opinion looking?
Lackey #1: Bad news. Currently 95% of hockey fans think we're a bunch of money-grubbing dicks who couldn't care less about the fans.
Goodenow: Dammit. How can we get to our goal of 100%?
Lackey #2: Remember that minor rule change that was passed a few months ago?
Goodenow: The one intended to increase scoring, the one thing all fans want to see?
Lackey #2: Yeah, that one.
Goodenow: The one that our own reps were in favor of and helped write?
Lackey #2: Yeah, that one. Let's file a grievance.
Goodenow: BRILLIANT!
(Goodenow and his lackeys sit around high-fiving and twirling their moustahces evilly.)

Meanwhile, somewhere in New York:

Bettman: How are the TV ratings?
Lackey #1: Not good. One guy in Manitoba is still watching the playoff games.
Bettman: Dammit!
Lackey #2: What if we tell them to start the games at 2:30 in the afternoon on the first days of summer?
Bettman: BRILLIANT!

etc...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #1006
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wow, the Flames are putting a hurtin' on the Sharks right now. Good stuff.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #1007
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
They must have come up with that at the last meeting.

Scene: Somewhere in Toronto...

Goodenow: How's public opinion looking?
Lackey #1: Bad news. Currently 95% of hockey fans think we're a bunch of money-grubbing dicks who couldn't care less about the fans.
Goodenow: Dammit. How can we get to our goal of 100%?
Lackey #2: Remember that minor rule change that was passed a few months ago?
Goodenow: The one intended to increase scoring, the one thing all fans want to see?
Lackey #2: Yeah, that one.
Goodenow: The one that our own reps were in favor of and helped write?
Lackey #2: Yeah, that one. Let's file a grievance.
Goodenow: BRILLIANT!
(Goodenow and his lackeys sit around high-fiving and twirling their moustahces evilly.)

Meanwhile, somewhere in New York:

Bettman: How are the TV ratings?
Lackey #1: Not good. One guy in Manitoba is still watching the playoff games.
Bettman: Dammit!
Lackey #2: What if we tell them to start the games at 2:30 in the afternoon on the first days of summer?
Bettman: BRILLIANT!

etc...

I'm starting to think ML is really Don Cherry in disguise

Old 05-11-2004, 10:19 PM   #1008
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn...Damn...Damn
Old 05-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #1009
Karim
College Starter

Holly fickle fans Batman! You're in the Conference Finals... How about encouring your team instead of booing? It was only 2-1 when the booing started, and I don't remember hearing a 'Go Sharks Go' chant all night.

Last edited by Karim : 05-11-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:09 PM   #1010
Vince
Pro Starter

Are you kidding me? That was horrendous. I didn't get to watch until the middle of the third, but jesus christ.

Now we're down 0-2, and we lost both games at HOME? Excuse me while I go into the corner and shoot myself
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #1011
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It wasn't all Kiprusoff tonight, either. The Flames did the job on offense from the get-go. They played a great game.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #1012
Vince
Pro Starter

I don't know about that Pumpy...everything I hear is that the first goal was pure luck. The second goal I haven't heard about, and the third and fourth goals were complete asshat moves by the Sharks. While it takes talent to put the puck in the net against one of the hottest goalies in the NHL, giving you a free two-on-one is a great start to getting that goal.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:04 AM   #1013
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Are you kidding me? That was horrendous.

The team is in the Conference Finals for the first time in the team's history, they may have just played their last game at home and the fans boo? Sarcastic jeers for the goalie that helped knock off St. Louis and Colorado? It was only 2-1 when the Sharks got the PP and the fans start to boo? That's not exactly a way to encourage the team as they head on the road.

Very, very surprising, that is all.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:38 AM   #1014
Hurst2112
College Starter

Since when were the fans of San Jose (not you Vince) the poster children for NHL's best? Doesn't suprise me.

Nor does the outstanding play of the Flames the last 2 games. Outstanding because they seem to be able to get it done any which way.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #1015
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Since when were the fans of San Jose the poster children for NHL's best? Doesn't suprise me.

I never suggested anything of the sort. My comment would be the same for any team close to getting in the Stanley Cup Finals. It doesn't happen often and it's the time to get behind your team, not drag them down.

Quote:
Nor does the outstanding play of the Flames the last 2 games. Outstanding because they seem to be able to get it done any which way.

There are instances of dirty play and cheap calls on both sides. That's the way it has been through the entire playoffs. You see it as "finishing the check" and I see it as a "hit from behind." All the players have to simply fight through it and not let it be a distraction.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #1016
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think Hurst was commenting that the Flames play is not surprising Karim, not that they are a dirty team.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #1017
klayman
College Benchwarmer

dola

oh yeah...Yay Flames!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #1018
Hurst2112
College Starter

I was just adding some rhetoric (sp?). I have never seen San Jose fans (ones that were at the games that I watched on TV) stand behind their team when the going got tough.

The second comment I made was in reference to the many ways Calgary, a team that I haven't seen a lot during the season, is winning their games. The can win the tight ones (against Detroit) and they can dominate after falling behind. I was implying that after seeing what they did in rounds 1 and 2, there playing and attitude in this round doesn't suprise me. Once again, Calgary is handling a 'stronger' oppenent and making them play their game.

I didn't watch much of the last 2 games so I can't comment on any cheap shots there might have been.

Oh, and thanks klayman

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 05-12-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #1019
Simms
FOBL Commish

Not exactly playoff-related, but since this is actually a Leaf thread in disguise, I'll post it anyway....

Rumoured for a few weeks, it appears as though Ken Dryden will officially step down tomorrow to instead run for political office in the upcoming federal election.

I always felt that, at the time of his hiring, getting Dryden on board was a genius move by Leafs brass, and he set the foundation for much of the success they've had since (though Quinn deserves his fair share of credit as well).

That said, I think Dryden outlived his usefulness a year or two ago, and lately has just gotten in the way of further progress. I won't be terribly sad to see him go. (I could say the same about Quinn, to be honest.)

For all he did for the organization, his frequent power-trips were getting really old.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:35 AM   #1020
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
For all he did for the organization, his frequent power-trips were getting really old.
I'd agree with your analysis. Dryden did good work over the first few years, primarily in landing Quinn and Joseph. But recently he's more of a figurehead, stripped of any real power. I don't think he really helped his cause with his preachy anti-violence comments earlier this year.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:02 AM   #1021
bbor
Pro Starter

If he was still in some control i think he would have stayed.But having lost his power it was only a metter of time before he left.At least we won't have to listen to him anymore on Leaf related matter

He seems a perfect fit for politics though.I could see him being the prime minister in the future.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #1022
Karim
College Starter

No doubt a Liberal... We all know Stephen Harper is the Spawn of the Devil.

Last edited by Karim : 05-13-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #1023
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, as for San Jose fans...we were absolutely rabid for the first few years of the franchise. We'd cheer for anyone and anything. Arturs Irbe was the star of the team for quite a while (I still remember the 'Like Wall!' chants we'd get going at the Tank ), and looking back, I don't think he was very good at all. Recently, however, the fans have been quite a bit more fickle. After absolutely tanking last season, when we hoped to contend for the Stanley Cup at the beginning of the year, did a lot to hurt our morale, I'd assume. It's really tough when your team has been 'up-and-coming' for like 5 years in a row.

As for this...I can't believe the fans booed. That doesn't seem like something Sharks fans would do. I mean, the Sharks are SAN JOSE's team. The first real one we had. Not San Francisco...not Oakland. San Jose. Ah well...sh!t happens, I guess.

These last two games have been very disappointing. In the first game, other than two miscues (the first goal was a total defensive blunder, and the game-winner was a direct result of a very poor line change), we played an outstanding game. How the heck do you lose a game where you put 52 shots on net? That was disappointing in and of itself. Then the consecutive unintelligent plays leading to the 3rd and 4th goal for Calgary in game two, combined with the horseshoe-up-the-ass first goal just makes this really hard to swallow. So we're down 0-2 going INTO Calgary. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that Calgary has been 3-3 at home this playoffs. But that's not much
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #1024
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Here's an pair to noodle for those of us who have teams not in the playoffs:

1. Anyone who wants to run down the draft and likely picks by the Hawks, I'm all for it.

2. With the announcement of a new arena Tuesday, KC is looking to move an NHL team here. What teams in the NHL are looking to move (and will survive a protracted lockout)?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #1025
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
2. With the announcement of a new arena Tuesday, KC is looking to move an NHL team here. What teams in the NHL are looking to move (and will survive a protracted lockout)?

Are the Scouts coming back?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #1026
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
No doubt a Liberal... We all know Stephen Harper is the Spawn of the Devil.

Wow this coming from a Westerner

Did y'all not give us Preston manning?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #1027
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Here's an pair to noodle for those of us who have teams not in the playoffs:

1. Anyone who wants to run down the draft and likely picks by the Hawks, I'm all for it.

SI

1.Pulford will likely trade the draft picks for the rights to Al Secord.How can you be a NHL gm with Alzhiemers?

2.Carolina...again?

Old 05-13-2004, 03:08 PM   #1028
Hurst2112
College Starter

Florida or Anaheim. Personal opinion.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #1029
Karim
College Starter

I know Kansas City was one of the sites the Flames were considering putting an AHL affiliate.

~~~

I think all fans get fickle once their teams get good. In the late 80s early 90s, the Flames were one of the best teams in the league and they don't get the support this rag-tag bunch of overachievers are getting now.

~~~

Martin winning the election is the worst kept secret in the country. All other candidates should just withdraw and spend the money on contracts for their friends.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:01 PM   #1030
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

No more moving of teams. Please?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #1031
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

just the Canadian ones, of course.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #1032
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Florida or Anaheim. Personal opinion.

actually, I would have said Florida as well.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #1033
Hurst2112
College Starter

Phoenix can move back up north too. If it wasn't for Gretzky, I think they would be on the list.

Anything with an 4-legged creature or waterfowl for a mascot should be wiped away from the NHL.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #1034
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Team Canada has announced it's World Cup roster:
http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/feature.asp?fid=9290

Some surprises, most notably Bertuzzi not making the list. Kariya and Tanguay were also left off, and the playoff runs of Primeau and Lecavlier were not enough to get them on the team. No Jose Theodore either, and Rick Nash is left off as well.

Instead of the young stars they went with some surprising veterans, including Yzerman and Belfour. Of course, Yzerman isn't a bad pick at all since if he can't play due to his eye they can simply swap in another player before the tourney starts.

One thing that really strikes you about Team Canada's roster: they could enter a B Team of their 27th rough 52nd best players and probably still contend for a medal.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #1035
bbor
Pro Starter

No Nash?......That is beyond incredible.Some of the old vets have to move aside.Kariya had a shit year but his speed will be missed.Lecavlier..hrm....i am a fence sitter on this one...i think i would like to see more from him first.Tanguay is another surprise for me.

I agree though..Canada could ice a 'B' team as well as a 'C' team too.Unfortunatly that does'nt mean the 'A' team will be good enough

Old 05-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #1036
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
No Nash?......That is beyond incredible.Some of the old vets have to move aside.Kariya had a shit year but his speed will be missed.Lecavlier..hrm....i am a fence sitter on this one...i think i would like to see more from him first.Tanguay is another surprise for me.
All of which is true, except... who do you take off the team? They already dropped one vet in Shanahan. You could remove Yzerman, sure, but then again you need to have handful of veteran leads on the team. So who comes off the list to make room for Kariya, Nash et al?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #1037
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I'm shocked Joseph is not on the list after his performance in the olympics. Shocked!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #1038
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
All of which is true, except... who do you take off the team? They already dropped one vet in Shanahan. You could remove Yzerman, sure, but then again you need to have handful of veteran leads on the team. So who comes off the list to make room for Kariya, Nash et al?

I'd take Yzerman off....probably Lemieux....all Lemieux can do now is play the PP.Nash instead of Doan....hands down.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #1039
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think Cassie Campbell is cute
Old 05-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #1040
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd take Yzerman off....probably Lemieux....all Lemieux can do now is play the PP.Nash instead of Doan....hands down.
See, I'd keep those guys. Lemieux is just a given, even if he can only play a few shifts per game. Doan is one of those great players who you just never hear about because he plays in Phoenix.

I'd probably look hard at dropping Maltby for Primeau, and Morrow and Marleau are semi-questionable. I'm also surprised they took Richards over Lecavlier.

Nash... I don't know. Sure he scores goals, but he's not a very well-rounded player. He's basically Jason Spezza with more ice time.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:47 PM   #1041
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would definitely take Marleau, Yzerman for leadership and Lemieux if he is healthy enough to play a full game. Would drop Maltby and Morrow and take Kariya (had an off year but this team needs offense) and Primeau (physical presence the team lacks). If Lemieux isn't fit, you could either go with Lecavalier or Nash.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #1042
bbor
Pro Starter

Nash is an emerging premier power forward..IMHO...Spezza is a Daigle with less money....Seriously...Spezza reminds me of Petr Klima...scores goals by the bunch but can't check a paper bag.

Malty for Primeau i would do....

Doan a great player? or part of Gretzkys' hype machine to have at least one Yote on the team?

I am here nor there on Marleau,he has been great in the play-offs...but he tends to dissapear for long streches of time.

BTW...Cassie Campbell is NOT cute.....She is F'N HOT!!

Old 05-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #1043
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'd take Yzerman off....

Bite your tongue!

So what if he's 39, has one good eye, and one good knee. He's Steve Yzerman. 'Nuff said, really.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #1044
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Nash is an emerging premier power forward..IMHO...Spezza is a Daigle with less money....Seriously...Spezza reminds me of Petr Klima...scores goals by the bunch but can't check a paper bag.

Malty for Primeau i would do....

Doan a great player? or part of Gretzkys' hype machine to have at least one Yote on the team?

I am here nor there on Marleau,he has been great in the play-offs...but he tends to dissapear for long streches of time.

BTW...Cassie Campbell is NOT cute.....She is F'N HOT!!

I love Petr Klima, despite his defensive short commings.

Yeah, Maltby for Primeau sounds good. Despite his immense bitchitude, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Preems. I am surprised Maltby is on the team. Sure, you need grinders/checkers, but there are more skilled players who would be glad to fill that role, and do it well, for Canada.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #1045
bbor
Pro Starter

I knew i would draw H_Bs' ire by taking Yzerman off the team:0..I love the guy...but i think enough is enough?If Yzerman is on the team why is'nt Messier?

I also knew that mentioning Petr Kilmas' name would also draw a reaction from H_B

Speaking of good checkers/Penalty killers...who is the best at this job in the NHL?

Old 05-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #1046
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of good checkers/Penalty killers...who is the best at this job in the NHL?

the PK I like is John Madden - mostly because of watching the Devils/Avs finals a couple years ago. It seemed like every Avs Power Play was just another scoring chance for Madden - it was ridiculous how well he seemed to be able to read/intercept the Avs passes at the blueline.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #1047
bbor
Pro Starter

I question Adam Foote on this roster too.Is he really worthy?

Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #1048
Vince
Pro Starter

I can't believe the Sharks are getting the worst breaks at home in this series. Two stupid defensive plays have led to two early goals, and we're down 0-2. However, two incredibly unlucky bounces are all that stand between us and a tie game. Grrr...
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM   #1049
JeeberD
General Manager

Go Flames!!!!

Awww, shit. I just doomed Calgary...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #1050
Vince
Pro Starter

I hate hockey right now.

Last edited by Vince : 05-17-2004 at 10:55 PM.