Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #1001
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Puig in the All-Star game? Yay or nay?

Nay. He is still just a talented, hot hitter at this point. Even as a homer I can't see him being worthy of it at this point.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #1002
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Jose Iglesias recorded his 50th hit of the season with a 2nd-inning single on Thursday night in just his 118th at-bat of 2013...Elias says that since the 1st rookie standards were set in 1958, Iglesias’ 118 AB are the fewest by a rookie at the time of his 50th hit in a season
Sorry for quoting myself, but the funny thing is Yasiel Puig has a chance to beat this record with 6 hits within his next 16 at-bats. Those two have probably earned current Cuban FA's Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Dariel Alvarez an additional $10 million.

International signing period opens tomorrow under the new bonus pool system - it'll be interesting as several teams are looking to trade for additional pool money (which is legal).

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #1003
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry for quoting myself, but the funny thing is Yasiel Puig has a chance to beat this record with 6 hits within his next 16 at-bats. Those two have probably earned current Cuban FA's Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Dariel Alvarez an additional $10 million.

International signing period opens tomorrow under the new bonus pool system - it'll be interesting as several teams are looking to trade for additional pool money (which is legal).

OTOH they have to complete those trades before the opening of the signing period. Once it starts, they can't acquire additional funds.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #1004
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Nay. He is still just a talented, hot hitter at this point. Even as a homer I can't see him being worthy of it at this point.

Disagree. He is the guy every fan wants to see, why shouldn't he be in?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #1005
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just read an amazing stat. The diamondbacks haven't had a win from a starter since June 5 th.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #1006
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Disagree. He is the guy every fan wants to see, why shouldn't he be in?

I'm on board with Lathum. Fans want to see him he should be there. That's what the game is all about. If he doesn't get voted in, the manager will pick him up. If that doesn't happen, I can't believe he wouldn't win the fan vote.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #1007
Easy Mac

I just can't wait for the Royals to release Puig in 8 years.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #1008
korme
Go Reds

That's why the AS game is a mess. "Fans want to see" - who cares? It should be the most deserving and while Puig has incredible numbers so far, he's got to do it over the course of the full first half season.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #1009
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That's why the AS game is a mess. "Fans want to see" - who cares?

This.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #1010
molson
General Manager

End-of-season awards should be based on merit, but a mid-season All-star exhibition game (the voting for which starts in what - late April?) - I can see more being just about popularity and star power. I'm OK with that. It might be different if the game was at the end of the year, but even if it was based entirely on merit, it's only based on a couple of months of merit. Maybe the second half of the previous-season should count, if this is going to be looked at as some kind of merit-based award.

Last edited by molson : 07-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #1011
MrBug708
Head Coach

The all star game hasn't.been about the best in some team. Other than Kershaw, who else deserves from.the Dodgers?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1012
PilotMan
Head Coach

I hate that the AS game is teams packing as many of their players on the team as possible. I hate that it's not the best players. I hate that players who should be there aren't because of more popular players getting all the votes.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #1013
molson
General Manager

If it was about the "best players" they wouldn't necessarily be constrained to who had the best stats the first few months of the current season. When you look back at the early all-star game rosters, I think the idea was just to one, have the biggest stars, and two, to bring along the best players so your league could beat the other league.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1014
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I just can't wait for the Royals to release Puig in 8 years.

Well, he walks and strikes out at classic Royals rates. And his fielding is mediocre to bad, depending on which metric you look at. Sounds like a prime candidate!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #1015
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, he walks and strikes out at classic Royals rates. And his fielding is mediocre to bad, depending on which metric you look at. Sounds like a prime candidate!

SI

Yeah, but he's not a gritty white guy. Francouer was GRIT and talent!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #1016
Suicane75
Coordinator

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game. But then again I wouldn't mind if they turned it into a full blow exhibition either.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #1017
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have no problem with AS games being treated like the exhibitions they are, I just wish that wouldn't then get brought up in how great the player is. "He made seven all star games, he must be a hall of famer!"

It's even more absurd in football where after injuries, playoffs and the guys who just don't want to be there a third of the damn league can call themselves an all star.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #1018
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
End-of-season awards should be based on merit, but a mid-season All-star exhibition game (the voting for which starts in what - late April?) - I can see more being just about popularity and star power. I'm OK with that. It might be different if the game was at the end of the year, but even if it was based entirely on merit, it's only based on a couple of months of merit. Maybe the second half of the previous-season should count, if this is going to be looked at as some kind of merit-based award.
This.

It's an exhibition for entertainment, and it's already highly bastardized with the requirement of at least one player from each team.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #1019
Atocep
Coordinator

Took my son to see Taijuan Walker pitch last night for the Rainiers. 93-96mph fastball that Colorado Springs hitters (Xavier Nady sighting!) couldn't touch and a nasty upper 60s to low 70s curve that he struggles to locate sometimes. 5ip 2h 2bb 0r 8k
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #1020
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
it's already highly bastardized with the requirement of at least one player from each team.

Not the mention the heavily promoted "last guy in" fan vote (whatever the heck the actual name is) ... which is on top of the fan vote that determines the starting lineup in the first place.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #1021
Suicane75
Coordinator

Cubs send Feldman to the Orioles for Arietta & Strop. Not bad, getting a couple of live arms for a FA signing.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #1022
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Took my son to see Taijuan Walker pitch last night for the Rainiers. 93-96mph fastball that Colorado Springs hitters (Xavier Nady sighting!) couldn't touch and a nasty upper 60s to low 70s curve that he struggles to locate sometimes. 5ip 2h 2bb 0r 8k
M's could really stand to have some luck with pitching prospects. Too many Ryan Anderson's, not enough Felix Hernandez's.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1023
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Marmol to the Dodgers for Guerrier

Over the course of three deals today, the Cubs added international bonus slots 2, 3, and 4 (dealing one of their 4's back to the Dodgers). Not all that interesting perhaps, but I thought it was worth mentioning since there was discussion about those being tradeable earlier in the thread.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #1024
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Cubs send Feldman to the Orioles for Arietta & Strop. Not bad, getting a couple of live arms for a FA signing.

Feldman was extremely streaky for the Rangers last year. He had a stretch where he pitched like he has for the Cubs this season, but it was sandwiched between two horrendous stretches.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #1025
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
OTOH they have to complete those trades before the opening of the signing period. Once it starts, they can't acquire additional funds.
I heard the opposite - teams couldn't trade for money until July 2, then can trade up until June 15 next year. How Trading International Pool Space Works - BaseballAmerica.com

I love it - the Rangers have said screw the system and with a bonus pool a little over $1.9 million have (allegedly) spent at least $4.45 million today. They'll pay 100% tax on overage for 2013-14 & won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250k in 2014-15 class, but with those penalties it makes complete sense for a big money team with a low pool year in and year out to sign everyone every other year and look for diamonds in the rough the next. If the Red Sox hadn't had such a bad year last year (and thus high pool this year) I'd be advocating for them to do the same. I wonder if Selig will come down on the Rangers at all - the Rays did violate the cap last year, but not this blatantly.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #1026
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My thoughts as well. If I were a team with a big payroll to spend on development and with penalties so weak, don't just break the rules, slaughter them. The system will change but not until after you've done it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #1027
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My thoughts as well. If I were a team with a big payroll to spend on development and with penalties so weak, don't just break the rules, slaughter them. The system will change but not until after you've done it.

SI
Yup. The MLB draft rules are draconian enough (100% penalties, plus losing your top picks) that it doesn't make a ton of sense, but the int'l pool ones aren't. I just hope that the response isn't to push for an international draft - that will kill the talent pool in the D.R. and Venezuela, just as it did Puerto Rico when they were included in the draft.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #1028
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I heard the opposite - teams couldn't trade for money until July 2, then can trade up until June 15 next year. How Trading International Pool Space Works - BaseballAmerica.com

I love it - the Rangers have said screw the system and with a bonus pool a little over $1.9 million have (allegedly) spent at least $4.45 million today. They'll pay 100% tax on overage for 2013-14 & won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250k in 2014-15 class, but with those penalties it makes complete sense for a big money team with a low pool year in and year out to sign everyone every other year and look for diamonds in the rough the next. If the Red Sox hadn't had such a bad year last year (and thus high pool this year) I'd be advocating for them to do the same. I wonder if Selig will come down on the Rangers at all - the Rays did violate the cap last year, but not this blatantly.

Actually, the high pool would make it make *more* sense for the Red Sox, no? They'd pay less in tax while still suffering the same penalties the next year as they would have done had they changed places with the Rangers and still gone over.

If the only penalties are the 100% tax on overage and the limits on the next year's spending, the teams which should be going over are the ones who have more to spend in the first place.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #1029
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, the high pool would make it make *more* sense for the Red Sox, no? They'd pay less in tax while still suffering the same penalties the next year as they would have done had they changed places with the Rangers and still gone over.

If the only penalties are the 100% tax on overage and the limits on the next year's spending, the teams which should be going over are the ones who have more to spend in the first place.
These teams still have international/amateur budgets - the Red Sox was around $10 million domestic and $7 million foreign the last couple years of the open system. So with the 100% overage the Red Sox probably wouldn't go much more than $1-$1.5m over the cap this year, or the equivalent of one elite prospect. And while there are diamonds in the rough like Hanley or Oscar Taveras, for the most part the best international players are getting 700k-1.5m now. So as much as I might want the Red Sox to spend $30 million and sign 15 of the top 25 players then do it again in 2015, they don't allocate money like that, and it seems 4-5 top players is the most any one team has ever signed in a year. So this year we've already gotten 3 of the top 20 (Devers, DeJesus, Aybar when he turns 16 tmrw), and we probably could only afford one more elite prospect under our budget anyway. So let's save that bullet for next year when our pool will be down around $2m instead of $3.5m, and go out and sign 3-4 top 20's again.

Even now when we're talking about the Rangers "blowing through" their cap, they've spent about $7 million including that 100% overage. They spent $4m on Nomar Mazara only 2 years ago. So even though there's no additional penalties other than $$, and they spent $4m on a prospect 2 years ago, they probably won't sign another top 30 guy http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...s-have-signed/ even though I doubt any of these kids sign for more than $2m (or $4m in the Rangers case). They are in on #1 Eloy Jimenez, but he'll probably sign with the Cubs.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1030
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Nice that you and 74 others witnessed that.

Well that's true. It's pretty bad here. If you have any ideas on how to convert people from Red Sox and Yankees fans to Rays fans, I'm all ears. This is definitely a challenging market for attendance with everybody apparently from somewhere else.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1031
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Well that's true. It's pretty bad here. If you have any ideas on how to convert people from Red Sox and Yankees fans to Rays fans, I'm all ears. This is definitely a challenging market for attendance with everybody apparently from somewhere else.
Yeah, build that awesome pirate ship stadium on the St. Pete waterfront.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I worded that terribly, so here's a simple chart with the two options. I'm assuming the Red Sox will at least not slip down below .500 the next couple seasons.

2013: $3.5m cap, Sign 3 top prospects
2014: $2m cap, go over, sign 3-4 top prospects
2015: $2m cap, sign 0 top prospects
2016: $2m cap, be free to do whatever

2013: $3.5m cap, go over, sign 4-5 top prospects
2014: $2m cap, sign 0 top prospects
2015: $2m cap, be free to do whatever
2016: $2m cap, depends on whether you went over in 2015

Since there's a very good chance this system isn't lasting more then 4 years, I like maximizing our return in the closest years. Under option 1, which I'm advocating, the Red Sox get more top prospects this year and next. There is no difference between the two if the system is replaced after 3 years, but if it is replaced after 2 or 4, option 1 comes out ahead.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #1032
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Yeah, build that awesome pirate ship stadium on the St. Pete waterfront.

St. Pete is 45% Yankees fans, 40% Red Sox Fans, and 15% Rays fans. Tampa on the other hand is well over 20% Rays fans. So we should move the stadium there.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #1033
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

So who is on the bus for Pittsburgh going all the way to the WS since 1979?

Oakland and Baltimore are my picks to be their opponent, if they(Pittsburgh) get that far.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #1034
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Puig in the All-Star game? Yay or nay?

Nay.
Still unpolished, 1 terrific month doesn't qualify.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #1035
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
St. Pete is 45% Yankees fans, 40% Red Sox Fans, and 15% Rays fans. Tampa on the other hand is well over 20% Rays fans. So we should move the stadium there.
At a certain point you have to stop going after "Rays" fans and go after baseball fans. Anyone who goes to the current out of the way monstrosity will keep going when it's downtown on the waterfront, and you'll attract a lot more casual fans. Maybe there are better options in downtown Tampa, but I never went to that area, and we can at least agree the stadium should be on the water (maybe with a retractable roof if necessary) in an area with restarurants etc surrounding it. It's no surprise casual fans don't want to travel 10 miles inland and spend their time in a concrete dome.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #1036
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
So who is on the bus for Pittsburgh going all the way to the WS since 1979?

Oakland and Baltimore are my picks to be their opponent, if they(Pittsburgh) get that far.

I'm not. Feels like a cardinals kind of year.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #1037
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants might want to get a hit soon...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #1038
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Giants might want to get a hit soon...

Hey, they've got a whole inning left to do it, no worries for them I'm sure
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #1039
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No hitter!

Congrats on #2, Homer.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #1040
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Too bad Milton Bradley didn't try for the no-hitter.

Ex-Dodger Milton Bradley sentenced to nearly 3 years in jail - latimes.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #1041
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Homer Bailey Own Zone
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1042
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Too bad Milton Bradley didn't try for the no-hitter.

Ex-Dodger Milton Bradley sentenced to nearly 3 years in jail - latimes.com

He needs to be locked up a lot longer. He is a crazy mofo. I bet he kills someone once he is out.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #1043
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to Bailey.

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, it's beyond amazing that the Braves are in first place considering what a comically bad set of hitters they're rolling out night after night.

Simmons still the least productive leadoff hitter in baseball, over $130m tied up in Dan Struggla and Bad Joke Upton ... and they've got like a five game lead in the division.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #1044
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Puig. Just added 3 more hits tonight, one of them his 8th HR. Record seems well within reach.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1045
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Congrats to Bailey.

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, it's beyond amazing that the Braves are in first place considering what a comically bad set of hitters they're rolling out night after night.

Simmons still the least productive leadoff hitter in baseball, over $130m tied up in Dan Struggla and Bad Joke Upton ... and they've got like a five game lead in the division.

Man, it seems like that's the story for most of MLB anymore. How the worm turns......
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #1046
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Man, it seems like that's the story for most of MLB anymore. How the worm turns......

And I've spent the better part of the last month bitching about the Dodgers and how they have been in danger of being knocked out of the playoffs and they finally get hot at the exact time that the rest of the division gets cold, and if they hold on tonight will only be 3 back.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1047
SackAttack
Head Coach

2.5. They're 3.5 back right now, Diamondbacks are down 7-1 to the Mets and Dodgers are up 7-0 on the Rockies.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #1048
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sorry, I guess it's 8-1 in New York.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #1049
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh, when I looked at the standings I thought the game was already over and had already been updated.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #1050
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Oh, when I looked at the standings I thought the game was already over and had already been updated.

Nope. Dodgers are in the top of the 9th. Diamondbacks/Mets are in the bottom of the 8th. Both games still in progress.