Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #1001
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dialidol has paris bottom with Katherine above her and Chris above them. Shockingly TAYLOR is #1 according to them. GAHHH
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #1002
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
dialidol has paris bottom with Katherine above her and Chris above them. Shockingly TAYLOR is #1 according to them. GAHHH

and they're always right....

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #1003
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But isn't the top 5 or 6 or 8 when the producers override (or throw out) any fan voting? I think it's quaint if dial in voters (or hackers or phone phreakers) think they can determine who the record company should pick.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #1004
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
But isn't the top 5 or 6 or 8 when the producers override (or throw out) any fan voting? I think it's quaint if dial in voters (or hackers or phone phreakers) think they can determine who the record company should pick.

I don't know if they override anything, but they definitely manipulate things with their "the phone lines will be open for at least 2 hours" thing.. they'll keep the lines open long/short enough to get the result they want
Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #1005
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Only one thing is certain on this year's version of American Idol. The production is a mess considering the amount of money that's generated by the top rated show in American television. Last week we had more uncomfortable judging moments, sound glitches and Katharine's white granny panties. And this week, more glitches, Paris dropping the s-word (bleeped out) and some surprisingly bad song choices and performances for a week where contestants essentially have free reign.

The theme tonight paid homage to the endless cycle of life, in some mumbo-jumbo philosophical context. First, the kids chose a song from the year they were born - within a couple of years. And then, they chose a song from the current Billboard charts, though Billboard apparently charts recycled compilation albums, meaning Taylor's current song was almost a decade older than he is.

As we strain our eyes on the tivo, hoping for another Katharine wardrobe malfunction, I'll get right into the Solecismic Ratings for the week of five.

1. Chris Daughtry. Chris likes to rock out, and he was back in his comfort zone this week. He opened with the one Styx song I never could stand, Renegade. I am a big Styx fan myself, and if I were judging the rock group, I'd say it just wasn't a good choice for them. Chris, however, showed why every rock group looking for a new lead singer is calling the American Idol studios. He put together a performance reminding us why he's considered one of the favorites to win this competition. He threw a lot more energy into the nightcap, screeching at times, something many hard rock lead singers do because they can't hit a lot of tough notes. Chris can, and should have known better. Still, it was a solid performance, if not too reminiscent of a real rock concert. Scores of 94 and 79.

2. Katharine McPhee. Something was definitely amiss when Katharine took on Phil Collins' Against All Odds. I thought this was a song she could nail, but it sounded affected and I seriously wondered if she were fighting off laryngitis. She just never got into a rhythm with this song, and probably should never have tried it. Her second choice was a dull little number from K.T. Tunstall, so I was worried. Especially when she decided to sing with her pants legs glued to the stage (no danger of another panty mishap, I guess). And she really nailed it (not the jeans) with a version far, far better than the original. Scores of 58 and 86.

3. Elliott Yamin. He wasn't that good today, but it was quite a mediocre day. He played it very safe, and opened with a rendition of On Broadway that was a nice imitation of George Benson, but nothing to remember. And he closed with the musical equivalent of running out the clock with the score tied 17-all with Elliott having the ball on his 30 with 1:15 to play. In fact, I think that is the name of that soporific melody he chose. Recent success in the polls is not being kind. Scores of 74 and 67.

4. Taylor Hicks. He opened with an indulgent little dance number where he "soul patrolled" a funkier song from the seventies. It was pure karaoke. His second song, the current chart topper "Something," originally recorded by the Beatles in 1969, was a little better. He managed to put his own style into what's become a standard of pop, and, while it seemed to pale in comparison to the original, at least it had something after a bad beginning. Scores of 63 and 75.

5. Paris Bennet. Paris opened with an extraordinarily bad karaoke rendition of Prince's Kiss. It was so poorly done, it deserved a Gong Show exit, with a giant cane reaching out from sidestage to carry her off, mid-measure. Truly the worst we've seen since Ace Young mangled a couple of tunes. She finished with a much stronger version of a Mary J. Blige hit. And, yes, she was bleeped for singing the s-word, which is part of the lyrics. I have no idea how that got through rehearsals. Did no one actually notice until the live show? Scores of 25 and 74.

Bottom two: It looks like Paris is in a lot of trouble. Her version of Prince was bad enough to be memorable. I think Elliott could join her. Playing it too safe can be a mistake.

Who will go: Paris.

Who should go: Paris, though I'd love to see Taylor make an exit.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #1006
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
He opened with the one Styx song I never could stand, Renegade.

I count Styx as my 4th favorite band of all time and this is my least favorite song from them (even worse than Blue Collar Man).
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #1007
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Paris opened with an extraordinarily bad karaoke rendition of Prince's Kiss. It was so poorly done, it deserved a Gong Show exit, with a giant cane reaching out from sidestage to carry her off, mid-measure.

Nobody should sing Kiss, except for Sir Tom Jones.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #1008
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Taylor is just terrible every week frankly. He offers nothing we don't see at a local bar at about 11:45 p.m. I find his shtick tiresome.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #1009
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
So what's the consensus? I thought Kat was amazing (on all levels, particularly the one on her knees) on song 2, but terrible on song 1. She butchered Against All Odds from the first note. Totally wrong song for her.

Chris was very good on Renegade, and stretching on the second song.

I don't know what Taylor was thinking by picking a Beatles song, even though he was decent. He could be in trouble this week. Song 1 was more of the same he's been feeding us for weeks. The guy is showing himself to be a bar singer who can't escape the bar.

Paris was very good on song 1, and I think it must be the style of music, because I thought song 2 was terrible. Not necessarily her, just the song. that's just an awful, awful style of music I can't get into or relate to.

Elliott was Elliott - good vocals, nothing spectacular, could be gone at any moment and I wouldn't notice.

Late on this one, but I agree with all of these points. I think it will be Elliott and Paris in the bottom 2 based on their fan base, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor there as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #1010
primelord
Pro Rookie

I don't see how Chris has any chance of winning this competition. If they keep with tradition and force the two finalists to sing two horrible pop songs written by Idol then he will run into the same problem Bo Bice did last year.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #1011
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

From a blog:

Americanidol.com will soon be offering downloads of Tuesday night performances for $1.99 (expensive!) that will be available shortly after the show airs. The producers must see the popularity of sites like Rickey.org, who offer downloads to fans very shortly after air time. I'm surprised they didn't capitalize on that sooner. Last summer, Rockstar:Inxs offered downloads of all the show's performances through MSN.com.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-03-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #1012
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I don't see how Chris has any chance of winning this competition. If they keep with tradition and force the two finalists to sing two horrible pop songs written by Idol then he will run into the same problem Bo Bice did last year.

What does his chance of winning have to do with ruining his career afterward?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #1013
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
What does his chance of winning have to do with ruining his career afterward?
I think he is refering to the fact that traditionally they don't get to pick two of the three songs they sing in the finals so Chris will be forced out of his comfort zone for the first time like Bo was last year. I think in general that's why the finals always have the worst performances...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #1014
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I think he is refering to the fact that traditionally they don't get to pick two of the three songs they sing in the finals so Chris will be forced out of his comfort zone for the first time like Bo was last year. I think in general that's why the finals always have the worst performances...

A GOOD thing, IMO.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #1015
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Taylor is just terrible every week frankly. He offers nothing we don't see at a local bar at about 11:45 p.m. I find his shtick tiresome.

To each their own. Taylor is the only reason I watch the show. Well that, and my wife hides the remote to keep me from changing the channel to NCIS.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #1016
Buccaneer
Head Coach

No comments?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #1017
Joe
Pro Starter

expected
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #1018
Ksyrup

Well, that was about as predictable as can be. Especially when they had the three top vote-getters lead the ensemble song (Lordy, who writes that dreck? You could tell that song sucked just from the title).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-03-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #1019
Buccaneer
Head Coach

By the way, I googled for idol forums and there was one that had over 10,000,000 posts. We have a long ways to go.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #1020
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
No comments?
Elliot will go next.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #1021
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can you possibly imagine that karaoke dude being in the top 3???
Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #1022
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo

I got ya. I thought he was referring to what they would force him to sing after he won.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #1023
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can you possibly imagine that karaoke dude being in the top 3???

of course, its american idol. they dont need good singers to make a hot selling 1st album
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #1024
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
A GOOD thing, IMO.

Why is that a good thing? He'll be forced to sing songs that doesn't tailor to his type of voice. That'd be like having Taylor (UGH) sing Mettalica -- it isn't good when the song doesn't fit him.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #1025
Joe
Pro Starter

of course its a good thing. Chris can't even sing styx. come on.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #1026
Ksyrup

Landmine - Yeah! - has taken my sight - Hoo!
Taken my speech - Oh!
Taken my arms - Woot!
Taken my legs - Yo!
Taken my soul, left me with - Hey! - life in hell! - Yeah, Woo!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #1027
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush

I think he was easily the best singer last night. None of the others were close. Second (by far) would be Katherine. There others, especially, Taylor, were horrible.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #1028
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Landmine - Yeah! - has taken my sight - Hoo!
Taken my speech - Oh!
Taken my arms - Woot!
Taken my legs - Yo!
Taken my soul, left me with - Hey! - life in hell! - Yeah, Woo!

Soul Patrol!!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #1029
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush

I would have loved to hear that twerp Kevin sing anything other than stupid kiddie love songs. But you thought he was good so you ain't got cred.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #1030
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would have loved to hear that twerp Kevin sing anything other than stupid kiddie love songs. But you thought he was good so you ain't got cred.

lol. I just thought he was cute.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #1031
Ksyrup

Chris did a very good job on Renegade, but he doesn't have close to the range of Tommy Shaw. In fact, on that second song, he sounded much more like Marty Casey from Rockstar, with that gravelly Eddie Vedder thing going on. But he's an above-average rock singer. I'm a little surprised Rockstar passed on him last year. I wonder if he has any other, real musical/writing skills besides singing?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #1032
Joe
Pro Starter

plus, he is on the new album. I have the track listing around here somewhere.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #1033
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Chris did a very good job on Renegade, but he doesn't have close to the range of Tommy Shaw. In fact, on that second song, he sounded much more like Marty Casey from Rockstar, with that gravelly Eddie Vedder thing going on. But he's an above-average rock singer. I'm a little surprised Rockstar passed on him last year. I wonder if he has any other, real musical/writing skills besides singing?

I agree .. the Shinedown song he didn't do as well.

Was he on Rockstars? I never saw that show.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #1034
Ksyrup

Yeah, I saw that track listing and a wave of something passed over me - kinda like tasting yesterday's lunch right before bed.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #1035
Joe
Pro Starter

Tentative Track Listing: (Subject to change - sequence TBD)
1. Kevin Covais - "When I Fall In Love"
2. Melissa McGhee - "What About Love"
3. Lisa Tucker - "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
4. Mandisa - "I'm Every Woman"
5. Bucky Covington - "Superstition"
6. Paris Bennett - "Midnight Train To Georgia"
7. Ace Young - "Father Figure"
8. Katherine McPhee - "Think"
9. Kellie Pickler - "Walkin' After Midnight"
10. Chris Daughtry - "Wanted Dead Or Alive"
11. Taylor Hicks - "Takin’ It To The Streets"
12. Elliott Yamin - "Moody’s Mood For Love"
Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #1036
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I agree .. the Shinedown song he didn't do as well.

Was he on Rockstars? I never saw that show.

No, he tried out but didn't make the final 15 cut. He and Marty are very similar, but Marty's definitely got a more modern edge to him than Chris. Chris is comfortable in the 80s; Marty would only sing 90s/00s grunge or modern stuff. Chris probably has the better pure voice between them, though. Marty came in second on the show.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #1037
Joe
Pro Starter

some of the top 15 on that show were pretty bad, amazing he didnt get on. well maybe he can't write his own stuff, which was a pretty crucial component of rockstar. i wonder if he can arrange at all either
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #1038
PSUColonel
Banned

You have to be an absolute moron to ever give a show like this the time of day.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #1039
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel

Did you just call everyone in this thread a moron?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #1040
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

PSUColonel is a people person.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #1041
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You realize that you just guaranteed your next electronic purchase of FOF will be corrupt, right?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #1042
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

very insightful, thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #1043
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I wet my bed on a regular basis. Do you guys know what I can possibly do to stop that?

That doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, but if you start your own thread, I'm sure someone will help you out.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-04-2006 at 07:01 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #1044
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
That doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, but if you start your own thread, I'm sure someone will help you out.

Ohhh...so PSUColonel = JoePa?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #1045
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Did this guy turn heel in the last few weeks and I missed it?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #1046
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Ohhh...so PSUColonel = JoePa?

That wasn't my intent, but it's pretty damn funny.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #1047
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And yet.. you still managed to find your way into the thread to enlighten us.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #1048
Daimyo
College Starter

Don't feed the troll.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #1049
jbmagic
Pro Starter

"'Idol" champ Fantasia playing herself in TV movie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060505/tv_nm/lifetime_dc_1
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #1050
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
"'Idol" champ Fantasia playing with herself in TV movie

Did anybody learn from the disaster known as 'From Justin to Kelly'?
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote