Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #1001
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

They've got tons of cap space, so re-signing isn't any issue with just about anybody. The problem is we've got an owner who seems bent on making money more than winning. We worked under a $28 million cap this year because Karmanos wanted to be on the receiving end of revenue sharing. Rutherford made some extremely shrewd signings like Commodore, Stillman, and Cullen under that restriction. Problem is, Staal is in the final year of his deal (granted he's 21, so it should be easier for us to keep him), Laviolette's in his final year on his contract, and there are several other key pieces who are also approaching the end of their terms. I have no idea whether Karmanos will continue to check spending, but I've got very little faith he'll do what needs to be done. If we don't sign Staal in particular to something long-term, I'll be totally disgusted.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #1002
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, that went a little better than Wednesday did....
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #1003
Karim
College Starter

With the three defencemen out, Buffalo could be in trouble...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #1004
RendeR
Coordinator

Ugly, just plain old fashioned slush in the facemask ugly.

As for the officiating, I'm not sure about a few of the actual calls but the non-calls are driving me nuts, the refs aren't calling jack shit on Carolina, let alone some of the ticky-tac things they've been calling on the Sabres since the Ottowa series.

Guh, just an UGLY game, from top to bottom. Its looking like a 7 gamer to me.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #1005
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR

As for the officiating, I'm not sure about a few of the actual calls but the non-calls are driving me nuts, the refs aren't calling jack shit on Carolina, let alone some of the ticky-tac things they've been calling on the Sabres since the Ottowa series.

that's a new tune. why the sudden change of heart?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #1006
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sorry, but I disagree. I was at the game and there was nothing ugly about the officiating. The only foul stench came from the Sabres dressing room.

These guys got to get the Tallinder injury out of their heads. It's 2-2...the series isn't over.

The Sabres are in need of a spark. Expect to see either Vanek or Mair inserted into the lineup in the place of Jiri Novotny. In a perfect world, we'll also see Connolly and Numminen back.

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #1007
bbor
Pro Starter

Vanek is kinda reminding me of Pavel Brendl

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #1008
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola...If Afinaganov could ever get the cement out of his hands he could win this series himself.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #1009
Karim
College Starter

I predict Anaheim brings it to Game 6. The way Anaheim is playing now is how they beat Calgary - fast, physical, smart defense and getting scoring from everyone. The only weak link is the unathletic Giguere who has too much of Allaire in his head. I'm not sure what the status is of the flu that was hitting Edmonton but the old momentum has definitely shifted with even just one win.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #1010
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I predict Anaheim brings it to Game 6. The way Anaheim is playing now is how they beat Calgary - fast, physical, smart defense and getting scoring from everyone. The only weak link is the unathletic Giguere who has too much of Allaire in his head. I'm not sure what the status is of the flu that was hitting Edmonton but the old momentum has definitely shifted with even just one win.

Tonight will be interesting. Edmonton just won 2 of the last 3 while (depending on which reports you believe) their best players were severely under the weather. If the Ducks think that winning one game where they didn't have the game in hand until the empty netter is seizing momentum back, they've got a surprise coming for them. Had the Oilers scored on the 5 on 3 PP they had in the third and made it a one goal game, I really think it ends up going to OT. They should have had that game put away after the first 20 minutes and failed to do so even though the Oilers played likely their worst period of these playoffs.

I am biased towards Edmonton of course, but I would have been happy if we'd split in Anaheim and again in Edmonton to make it a best of 3. Needing only one win in the next 3 with people starting to (hopefully) get healthy is a nice position to be in, and it'd be great if the Ducks would quit it with the ridiculous quotes that they've been full of this series.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #1011
klayman
College Benchwarmer

The Oilers have won the cup every season after Calgary made it to the finals. No worries, it's history!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #1012
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Heh, read above. This was EXACTLY what the Carolina fans I know around here were yelling about after Game 3, but in reverse. Maybe the NHL is just trying to make sure it goes to game 7 by flip-flopping the refs every game...
Old 05-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #1013
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Vanek is kinda reminding me of Pavel Brendl

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #1014
Travis
Pro Rookie

Nice non-call refs. I hope the Oilers get a shorty here to really take the wind out of the Ducks sails.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #1015
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

As I told my girlfriend after leaving HSBC last night, I think I would have gotten more enjoyment if I had just lit $200 on fire instead of going to the game last night.

Ugh, what a crapfest. The refs didn't cost them the game, they weren't good either tho. The Sabres need to:

a) get a fucking shot through to the net
b) when they do get a shot through, DON'T shoot it into the goalie's chest
c) bury a fucking breakaway

/sigh
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #1016
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to the Oilers on moving on. They took the opportunities given them and made the most of them.

As a Ducks fan, I am pretty frustrated, because I feel we really got beat by a goalie here. We outshot the Oilers in every game, and the Oilers had to resort to a lot of physical tactics to disrupt our offense (we never had less power plays then them in any game). But the Oilers took advantage of some mediocre goaltending on our part, and did a terrific job of blocking shots and on the PK to keep us out of the net. And Roloson is looking like the pickup of the trade deadline now.

I can't feel too bad, though, since we essentially did this very same thing to the Wings and Stars in 2003.

The future is bright, though. Lupul, Perry, Getzlaf, Penner, Kunitz and Bryzgalov are all in their first or second years, we still have Chistov stashed away in Russia, and Bobby Ryan will arrive sooner or later. And Selanne and Niedermayer don't look like they're slowing down at all. So thanks for a terrific season, Ducks!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #1017
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
They've got tons of cap space, so re-signing isn't any issue with just about anybody. The problem is we've got an owner who seems bent on making money more than winning. We worked under a $28 million cap this year because Karmanos wanted to be on the receiving end of revenue sharing. Rutherford made some extremely shrewd signings like Commodore, Stillman, and Cullen under that restriction. Problem is, Staal is in the final year of his deal (granted he's 21, so it should be easier for us to keep him), Laviolette's in his final year on his contract, and there are several other key pieces who are also approaching the end of their terms. I have no idea whether Karmanos will continue to check spending, but I've got very little faith he'll do what needs to be done. If we don't sign Staal in particular to something long-term, I'll be totally disgusted.

I have a hard time deciding if Karmanos is truly only out for profit, or if they've got more of a Belichikian mind to the NHL. Keep in mind that they made a strong play for Yzerman several years back. They've always maintained a pretty decent roster, they've just had horrible luck with chemistry at times. My gripe with the 'Canes has never been pure talent, it's been a major lack of effort. I remember going to a game against the Canadiens back in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember if they actually made the playoffs that year or not) when they were in a huge dogfight for one of the final playoff spots while Montreal was struggling. You'd watch the puck go into the Montreal end, a flurry of passes and scrums for the puck, then the puck would come flying out towards the Carolina end with two Canadians in tow and one Cane trying desperately to catch up. It was a true stinker. A similar effort against Boston right after the Bruins had traded Borque, had their starting goaltender out with an injury, and a handful of other key injuries, and the Canes in a playoff race couldn't keep pace.

But yes, this team needs to lock up Staal longterm. He's going to be a key to the franchise, not just on the ice but also as a star for the fans to follow. They lose him, I think a lot of fans will turn (especially in light of the playoff gouging going on).
Old 05-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #1018
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So what did I miss? Miller hooks his stick under Williams' skate, yanks on it while Williams is trying to get up, Williams goes down, and Williams goes off for Diving to make the second period start off 4-on-4 (thanks to Miller's roughing right before that)? What?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #1019
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
So what did I miss? Miller hooks his stick under Williams' skate, yanks on it while Williams is trying to get up, Williams goes down, and Williams goes off for Diving to make the second period start off 4-on-4 (thanks to Miller's roughing right before that)? What?

Oh please, stop teh whining, Carolina isn't getting called for a tenth of the shit they're pulling. Besides, they won.

Looks like a 7 gamer. GO Sabres.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #1020
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I don't want to keep harping on the "great" Hurricane fans, but why was half the crowd cheering for Buffalo last night? I understand that happens sometimes in sports with teams like the Yankees or Cowboys, but this may be the first time I've seen it happen with Sabres fans.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #1021
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, those who have the NHL Network can enjoy games 3,4, and 5 of the ECHL Kelly Cup Finals live this week. The Alaska Aces lead the series 2-0 but play shifts to the Gwinnett Arena today at 5:05pm and Wednesday & Thursday night at 7:35.

I'll be there screaming my fool head off, the least you can do is watch

edit to add: Y'know, minor league hockey really is something. This is the most I've enjoyed any team in any sport/any level since the IHL Knights left Atlanta.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-29-2006 at 08:50 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #1022
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh please, stop teh whining, Carolina isn't getting called for a tenth of the shit they're pulling. Besides, they won.

Looks like a 7 gamer. GO Sabres.

Sorry, let me be clear: I don't believe the officiating in this series is biased, but I strongly believe it's been pretty poor. Note that at one point last night (forget when they threw the stat up), Buffalo had had 24 power play opportunities to Carolina's 20. Seems at least close to even. But I think both sides will have lots of ammunition on missed calls or wrong calls. That particular one blew my mind enough that I was honestly wondering if I'd missed something on the play.

I also don't believe it had any real impact last night. I think that game could have been 6-3 either way. Miller stopped a lot of great chances by the Canes, and Ward shut down some great Buffalo opportunities (unlike Gerber, he blocked the WHOLE width of the net on the breakaway opportunity he faced, not just the left half). Had the Canes stopped passing the puck to the Sabres, Carolina might have had a shot at a 6-0 shutout, but the risky play worked for them (lots of giveaways, but also lots of solid chances on the other end). Had Ward not been back to his old self in place of Gerber, Buffalo would have been running away with it the other direction.

It's been a great series so far, 7 games wouldn't surprise me, and either team could win it.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #1023
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I don't want to keep harping on the "great" Hurricane fans, but why was half the crowd cheering for Buffalo last night? I understand that happens sometimes in sports with teams like the Yankees or Cowboys, but this may be the first time I've seen it happen with Sabres fans.

Carolina is a young franchise, and the area is full of transplants. There are lots of fans that love hockey enough to root for the Canes, but flip when their team comes to town. At work we've got a handful of Buffalo fans, a Sharks fan, a Capitals fan, used to have a Red Wings fan, and that's just among the few I talk to every day. Two of those folks are season ticket holders to the Canes.

Carolina is working on winning them over, but remember they've only been here a few years. The NFL Panthers are in the same boat, trying to win Redskins fans away from this area. Until the Panthers came to town, Washington was on the TV every week, and the Washington fans still throw fits whenever their game is pre-empted for a Panthers game. Heck, I'm a Panthers fan, but my #1 team remains the Patriots.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #1024
Karim
College Starter

Edmonton "fans" have to calm the **** down. It's a disgrace. Here's the story but check out the video...
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Last edited by Karim : 05-29-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #1025
Karim
College Starter

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Cana...03250-sun.html
"There have been stabbings, women cavorting semi-nude while being held aloft in shopping carts, arrests for vandalism and drunkenness and people using a schoolyard as a public toilet.

One senior got spat at for not returning a besotted high-five."
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #1026
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, cause none of that stuff has gone on in any other city (coughCalgarycough) during a playoff run.

I'm not saying I condone and/or approve of it, and have stayed away from Whyte Ave during the run. That all said, it's the same everywhere, get more and more people together, give them alcohol and an excuse to party, and you get scenes like this. I'd guess 1/2 the people down there couldn't name more than 4 or 5 players on the Oilers and likely couldn't tell you very much if anything at all about the regular season.

These are people looking for an excuse to party and have fun (re: cause trouble), hence the reason a lot of the die hard fans stay away from the area.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #1027
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

<bitter>
Hey, how come when the Leafs win a playoff series and a few fans honk car horns, we're losers who get over-excited over every little win... but when the Flames or Oilers win a round and hold a freaking parade in the middle of the night, it just shows what great spirit they have?
<bitter>
Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #1028
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yeah, cause none of that stuff has gone on in any other city (coughCalgarycough) during a playoff run.

I'm not saying I condone and/or approve of it, and have stayed away from Whyte Ave during the run. That all said, it's the same everywhere, get more and more people together, give them alcohol and an excuse to party, and you get scenes like this. I'd guess 1/2 the people down there couldn't name more than 4 or 5 players on the Oilers and likely couldn't tell you very much if anything at all about the regular season.

These are people looking for an excuse to party and have fun (re: cause trouble), hence the reason a lot of the die hard fans stay away from the area.

Well, if "everywhere" is Detroit, then, yes, you're right.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #1029
Travis
Pro Rookie

It's kind of funny a lot of the comments coming out of Calgary right now with the black eye Edmonton got after making it to the finals. They showed the Red Mile during the first round, and it was almost to this scale after a loss at that point, whereas Whyte Ave just got going after each game pretty recently. There was some celebration after beating Detroit for the series, then again after San Jose, but for game to game celebrations, we had hardly anything until this round.

Again, I don't agree with the extreme it's being taken to, but for Calgarians to carry on about how disgraceful it is is easily a pot/kettle situation.

At least there is hope that they'll contain it a bit better if we manage to win a game or two in the finals, let alone win the Cup.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #1030
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
<bitter>
Hey, how come when the Leafs win a playoff series and a few fans honk car horns, we're losers who get over-excited over every little win... but when the Flames or Oilers win a round and hold a freaking parade in the middle of the night, it just shows what great spirit they have?
<bitter>

Are "<bitter>" tags even necessary for you at this point? I thought that was understood. You've had that tag on since sometime in the regular season and I think forgot to close it....

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-29-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #1031
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Well, if "everywhere" is Detroit, then, yes, you're right.

What? Are you writing for Jimmy Kimmel now, Chief?

Three Cups and there wasn't one spot of trouble. Nothing. It was just a feel good time. Same with the Pistons' last championship. The Tigers winning in '84 was kind of rough and there were a few mishaps here and there during the "Bad Boy" era, but since then Detroit has celebrated its championships with class.

Far much more so than most other cities.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #1032
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
What? Are you writing for Jimmy Kimmel now, Chief?

Three Cups and there wasn't one spot of trouble. Nothing. It was just a feel good time. Same with the Pistons' last championship. The Tigers winning in '84 was kind of rough and there were a few mishaps here and there during the "Bad Boy" era, but since then Detroit has celebrated its championships with class.

Far much more so than most other cities.

Well, it ain't actually Detroit, I'll give, but Michigan State anyone? I'll widen the focus to all of Michigan if that makes you feel better.

And I'll throw in Boston, so I could get ALL of the sensitive fans here up in a muck.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #1033
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are "<bitter>" tags even necessary for you at this point? I thought that was understood. You've had that tag on since sometime in the regular season and I think forgot to close it....

LOL

Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #1034
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
<bitter>
Yeah, the 1995 regular season.
</bitter>

(But you all have admit, I have a point about the playoff win celebrations.)

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-29-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #1035
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I know. Just joshing you a little.

As for Toronto's celebrations and all that, I guess maybe it's because there is a certain expectation that such acts are perhaps beneath the dignity of the city as it's generally regarded as the most cosmopolitan and leading city in the country? Also, while there are other Canadian franchises, Toronto is still regarded as the most regal of at least the English-speaking ones and therefore a certain expectation is held to and such small victories perhaps shouldn't be lauded, but series and Cup wins are more deserving? IOW, fairly or not, Toronto (as you pointed out) is being held to a different standard because they have historic expectations? It's okay for Edmonton and Calgary to explode because, well, there's not much to do out there on the lonely prairie (note to Oilers and Flames fans: not what I actually believe, but what general perception could be) and thus a little out-of-hand celebration is more acceptable.

If Carolina won the Cup, I don't expect a massive celebration, but there probably will be spontaneous, sporadic ones across the Triangle. Caniacs do exist (in spite of what that asshat writer Bomani Jones wants to tell you on ESPN.com), but there just isn't enough of us (as you, Chubby, and the rest have repeatedly pointed out) to burn the place down.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-29-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #1036
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Again, I don't agree with the extreme it's being taken to, but for Calgarians to carry on about how disgraceful it is is easily a pot/kettle situation.

Reporters have stated that nothing like this was witnessed during Calgary's run, not jealous Flames fans. There were no stabbings, no bonfires and reinforcements didn't need to be called in from other cities. Don't forget the Canada Day riots in 2001. It's not Edmonton has a track record or anything...

Last edited by Karim : 05-29-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:20 AM   #1037
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Well, it ain't actually Detroit, I'll give, but Michigan State anyone? I'll widen the focus to all of Michigan if that makes you feel better.

And I'll throw in Boston, so I could get ALL of the sensitive fans here up in a muck.

Well, what happens up in Spartyville can't be blamed on the rest of us. They are a. . . "special" group of people.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #1038
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

"Most of the crowd spent Saturday night celebrating with cheers, drinks, and high gives."

I know its a typo, but I think high gives are the coolest sounding celebration ever.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #1039
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Reporters have stated that nothing like this was witnessed during Calgary's run, not jealous Flames fans. There were no stabbings, no bonfires and reinforcements didn't need to be called in from other cities. Don't forget the Canada Day riots in 2001. It's not Edmonton has a track record or anything...

So far, locally, nothing about stabbings has been reported. The statistics being released right now is that there were at least 30,000 on the Avenue, with the peak number that night being around 50,000. 15 people were arrested with 5 receiving criminal charges.

Yes it was stupid, ugly and uncalled for, but it's also being blown up in the media when a very small portion of the people there were actually participating in anything bad in the crowd.

And this doesn't even come close to rivalling the Canada Day riot. Not even close. I will never try and find any sort of way to try and reason out what happened then, it was brutal.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #1040
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Y'know, minor league hockey really is something. This is the most I've enjoyed any team in any sport/any level since the IHL Knights left Atlanta.
Agreed. I've only been to a handful of NFL and NBA games, two MLB regular-season games, and one NHL game, but I love going to ECHL games. I was very upset when the Brass folded (mostly because we fans got jerked around bigtime for over a year), and I didn't really get that same excitement out of any other sports until Arena Football came to town.

I've got two ECHL teams near me now. The Chiefs are about 40 miles east of me, and the Nailers are 60 miles west of me. Those trips are too far for me to really decide to go out there, but it's nice to have the teams there if I feel up to a drive. I went to one Chiefs game this season, and I realized how much I miss being at an ECHL game, even in Johnstown's tiny arena.

I'm glad that you get to enjoy some Kelly Cup action. I always thought that the Brass could get that far into the playoffs, but they never quite made it. Good luck to the Gladiators. I wish I could watch, but I don't get NHL Network.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #1041
Travis
Pro Rookie

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnis...36568-sun.html

Not everything was quite as peachy in Calgary as they'd have you believe.

Quote:
There were fights, sexual assaults, and countless reports of people acting like animals -- human waste was found in gardens, behind bushes, and even on the hoods of cars.

Few Calgarians realize that a fully-equipped riot squad was on stand-by, only a block away, because the kind of mood and chaotic energy found on the Red Mile almost always erupts into violence, vandalism and looting.

Police fully expected it to happen in Calgary, because disastrous precedent in places like Vancouver and Montreal has shown what alcohol, hockey and high emotions can create.

Last edited by Travis : 05-30-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #1042
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I'm glad that you get to enjoy some Kelly Cup action.

"Enjoy" might be too strong a word. Yesterday's 5-4 loss has to be one of the most frustrating games I've ever seen.

Dumbass penalty after dumbass penalty after dumbass mistake after dumbass penalty. And lest anyone think I'm being too hard on them, check out what coach Jeff Pyle had to say

“Same old, same old — we’re too stupid to win," Gladiators head coach Jeff Pyle said. “We got up on them, we were all over them and then we started taking, again, the most selfish penalties I’ve ever seen.
“How many times have we been sitting here with the same thing? We try to get back into a game and one person puts their own personal (issues) in front of the whole team. You don’t win like that. You just don’t. I don’t care how much we came back, we didn’t deserve to win that game.”

“Those guys, obviously to me, they don’t care enough to win,” Pyle said. “As bad as that may sound, that’s exactly the way I feel. We just go out of our way to shoot ourselves (in the foot). That’s just plain stupid. I can’t fix stupid. ... “I hate to say it this way, but we have some of the most selfish guys in that (locker) room,” Pyle said. “That they would do that to each other or either of our goalies — if I was a couple of those guys, I couldn’t look Fieldsie in the face right now. The way they hung him out to dry is mind-boggling. “(The series) isn’t over. But I wouldn’t bet on us. Tonight put an exclamation point on how stupid we are.

I guess somehow it's comforting to know that at least he's as frustrated as the fans were by it all, first time I've ever heard the boo birds come out at the Arena. Pity too, since attendance for yesterday's 5pm start was 50% larger than they've been getting, which tells me that there are people wanting to embrace this team. We'll be there Wednesday night, but at this point I'm really not expecting much except more of the same.

All year this team has won largely by being more talented than their opponents. I don't mean that as homerism, it was pretty obvious a lot of nights. The Gladiators were noticeably faster than everybody else we saw, had more people willing to lay a hit up & down the lineup (as opposed to the obvious goons several teams employed). Lo & behold, they've run into a team that's not spectacular except in goal but they're able to skate with us and they play exponentially smarter hockey.

Alaska isn't particuarly likable from an opposing fans point of view, especially with the amount of diving and crying they did yesterday ... but they're clearly a better team than we are and looked very much like a team that deserves to win the Kelly Cup.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #1043
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnis...36568-sun.html

Not everything was quite as peachy in Calgary as they'd have you believe.

The stabbings happened after Game 4 against San Jose. Not that it matters.

People are idiots no matter where you go. I don't understand why vandalism and violence is seen as an appropriate way to celebrate a team's success.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #1044
Karim
College Starter

Dola,

On a more appropriate note, I think the 'Canes finish it off tonight.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #1045
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The stabbings happened after Game 4 against San Jose. Not that it matters.

People are idiots no matter where you go. I don't understand why vandalism and violence is seen as an appropriate way to celebrate a team's success.

Thanks for the link, that's the first I've really seen/heard of it. Talked to a guy at work today and he thought he remembered hearing about it, but thought it was during the Detroit series. I wonder in that situation though if it was a location issue moreso than a celebration one. Whyte Ave has it's share of problems for violence when there regular traffic going on, never mind when there are 10,000 plus there to make it harder for any police presense to get a hold of you once you do something like that.

As for your last statement, I firmly believe that a majority of those doing the most damage and attracting the most attention are probably one's that know/follow the sport the least. They're the one's looking for an excuse to party and to let it rip (hence my earlier mocking of the red mile celebrations after every game in round one). They give the city and sport a black eye, and they're the ones that have the least invested in said sport and team. Of the people I know who are tried and true fans, not one has ventured down to Whyte Ave for a game yet, and after that last debacle, aren't even considering it for any of the Cup Finals games.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #1046
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What a game so far! This one needs to go multiple OTs.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #1047
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Agreed. Can't believe the 'Canes survived that horrible first period effort only down 1-0, and both goalies have been fantastic. As young as they are, there may be some great goalie duels in their future. Miller and Ward have been robbing people left and right.

Looking forward to this overtime period. Congrats to Buffalo for a fantastic effort despite being low on defensemen.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #1048
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Not to put the cart before the horse, but if Carolina wins, why aren't they starting the finals on Saturday? Why wait six days?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #1049
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not to put the cart before the horse, but if Carolina wins, why aren't they starting the finals on Saturday? Why wait six days?

Because there is going to be a game 7
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #1050
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This has been such a close series. Every game decided by 1 goal except the 4-0 one. We need a nice 3 OT game 7 in a couple of days to cap it off

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote