Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #1001
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I feel like Resurgens sounds silly. Because it's never going to be nickname-city, it's going to be city-nickname just like it is with every (?) other sports team in the country.

Sporting KC would beg to differ .

And perhaps they were also tarred with 'elitist' as it was purposely Euro sounding. However, people got used to it.

Same with Real Salt Lake. MLS has switched up the naming convention for some squads and its been accepted.

I think people would quickly get used to Resurgens Atlanta.

FWIW, the Seal of the City of Atlanta:
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #1002
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sporting KC would beg to differ .

And perhaps they were also tarred with 'elitist' as it was purposely Euro sounding. However, people got used to it.

Same with Real Salt Lake. MLS has switched up the naming convention for some squads and its been accepted.

I think people would quickly get used to Resurgens Atlanta.

FWIW, the Seal of the City of Atlanta:

Okay, so you found the 2 examples out of god knows how many teams. I figured there were one or two I was forgetting.

I don't think it sounds elitist because of nickname-city, I'm saying to give your team a nickname that's a latin word off the city seal (who else here even knows the city seal of their state capital?) would, I can imagine, be seen as pretty elitist by the "masses."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #1003
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Blah - Bony to Man City is a done deal.

At least the Swans get 28.5mil for him.

Great for him, bummer for Swansea.

Makes me sad as a Swansea fan but it was pretty inevitable, either now or in the summer. Bony and Aguero together should be amazing.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #1004
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, so you found the 2 examples out of god knows how many teams. I figured there were one or two I was forgetting.

I don't think it sounds elitist because of nickname-city, I'm saying to give your team a nickname that's a latin word off the city seal (who else here even knows the city seal of their state capital?) would, I can imagine, be seen as pretty elitist by the "masses."

Two teams in the league that the Atlanta MLS team is joining? Actually three though, the team in the NY metro area that has been playing since the MLS began is named Red Bull New York.

And its likely no more elitist sounding that naming your team after a Spanish word for royalty (yes, it looks like its just pronounced 'reel', but its actually pronounced 're-ahl'). People get used to it.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #1005
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Two teams in the league that the Atlanta MLS team is joining? Actually three though, the team in the NY metro area that has been playing since the MLS began is named Red Bull New York.

And its likely no more elitist sounding that naming your team after a Spanish word for royalty (yes, it looks like its just pronounced 'reel', but its actually pronounced 're-ahl'). People get used to it.

Whatever - we'll agree to disagree.

You're the potential fan more than me though. Just trying to give you an outsider's perspective.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #1006
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Makes me sad as a Swansea fan but it was pretty inevitable, either now or in the summer. Bony and Aguero together should be amazing.

Agree. Hopefully they can put the money to good use.

And yes, Bony on City should be amazing.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #1007
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

New MLS MVP Trophy to be named after Landon Donovan:

MLS MVP award named after Landon Donovan | Soccer By Ives

It looks fantastic:

That probably, btw, should be the logo of MLS - with the soccer player in the bottom portion rather than it being blank down there.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #1008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm saying to give your team a nickname that's a latin word off the city seal (who else here even knows the city seal of their state capital?) would, I can imagine, be seen as pretty elitist by the "masses."

"The masses" will never give a flying f. about an MLS team in Atlanta even if they dressed 'em in red & black and called 'em the Bulldogs.

I'm not crazy about the idea myself but it can't (and shouldn't) be dismissed on anything to do with "the masses", they simply aren't all that relevant to this franchise's future.

They'll live (or die) based on an ability to create a diehard niche fanbase. Something seemingly out of fairly deep left field might just play better to that end than something more mainstream.

I'd have far graver concerns about using an FC instead of an SC as part of the name. THAT seems unrealistically pretentious & could invite ridicule from otherwise disinterested "masses", would be a significant screw up IMO (at least as significant as anything involving the name can actually be).
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #1009
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Depends on what you consider to be the masses, then. What was it, something like 14,000 deposits for season tickets already?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #1010
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Depends on what you consider to be the masses, then. What was it, something like 14,000 deposits for season tickets already?

In a region of 6.1 million (give or take) across 39 counties, 14,000 isn't even a blip on the radar in terms of "masses".
Old 01-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #1011
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

By that definition the masses are generally unconcerned with much to do with sports...
Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #1012
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By that definition the masses are generally unconcerned with much to do with sports...

Consciousness. The majority of residents in the region know when it's college football season, at least a plurality (okay, who are we kidding here, also a majority) care in some fashion. They know when it's baseball season & at the very least a plurality are at least vaguely aware of the condition of the Braves. College basketball fares marginally here, at least it's relevant in March (look at the March Madness office pools).

The NBA? Probably below the threshold in the market.
The NHL? C'mon, let's be serious.

Maybe a better example of what I mean could be found with something like that EDM festival down in Fairburn, TommorowWorld. Attendance estimates were in excess of 100,000 over three days ... but the only faint dent in the consciousness of The Masses is the slight possibility that they vaguely recall seeing something about residents upset with the noise. Otherwise, not only is it not a thing, it's not even a faint ghost of a facsimile of a thing with the average person here.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #1013
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Consciousness. The majority of residents in the region know when it's college football season, at least a plurality (okay, who are we kidding here, also a majority) care in some fashion. They know when it's baseball season & at the very least a plurality are at least vaguely aware of the condition of the Braves. College basketball fares marginally here, at least it's relevant in March (look at the March Madness office pools).

The NBA? Probably below the threshold in the market.
The NHL? C'mon, let's be serious.

Maybe a better example of what I mean could be found with something like that EDM festival down in Fairburn, TommorowWorld. Attendance estimates were in excess of 100,000 over three days ... but the only faint dent in the consciousness of The Masses is the slight possibility that they vaguely recall seeing something about residents upset with the noise. Otherwise, not only is it not a thing, it's not even a faint ghost of a facsimile of a thing with the average person here.

Not sure that matters. There appears to be enough support present to at least support the franchise right now (based on ISsidiqui's season ticket order number) for what is essentially a niche market within the general Atlanta sports world.

To that niche (i.e. the ones who will spend money on an ATL MLS team), ISsidiqui's concerns about the name might actually be a big deal, even if most ATL residents might not even notice there is an MLS team in town.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #1014
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Like I said, your definition of masses is a bit greater than most folks would define it. The consciousness of the Hawks is definitely below the thresh hold you've established.

I'd define the masses much lower (as I think that you'll find that a lot of folks actually aren't conscious of the Braves' condition - college football and the Falcons, definitely yes, because even if they don't care about football, they realize how is impacting their lives) I'd think the masses in Atlanta do pay attention to the Hawks. And I think they will pay attention to the Atlanta MLS team - especially that first season (and hopefully more).
Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #1015
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Toronto FC signs Juventus midfielder Giovinco - Sportsnet.ca

I'm pissed that he's going to TFC and not to Boston.

Physically he's small and slight, but technically speaking he's going to immediately be one of the most talented guys in the league on the ball.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-17-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #1016
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Arguably one of the greatest MLS DP signings ever. Giovinco is 28 and is a great midfielder! He may not be starting for Juve, but he'd be starting for most of Serie A. I don't think Boston would be willing to pay a $7mil a year salary - Toronto seems to not care about spending tons on their DPs, apparently. Also his best position is also Lee Nguyen's position. He's perfect for Toronto, though. Giovinco at Attacking Central Midfielder allows Bradley to drop back and play a more natural position for him.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #1017
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Arguably one of the greatest MLS DP signings ever. Giovinco is 28 and is a great midfielder! He may not be starting for Juve, but he'd be starting for most of Serie A. I don't think Boston would be willing to pay a $7mil a year salary - Toronto seems to not care about spending tons on their DPs, apparently. Also his best position is also Lee Nguyen's position. He's perfect for Toronto, though. Giovinco at Attacking Central Midfielder allows Bradley to drop back and play a more natural position for him.

Of course Boston's not willing to pay, that's my gripe.

And I'd rather have Gio than Nguyen 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays. If you take away the national team guys coming home he is without question the greatest DP signing since like the generation of guys that came in at the very beginning.

I know people will say Beckham, but Becks was way older when he came over, and despite his ability to still play, clearly viewed MLS as a sort of retirement-lite. Gio is in his prime. He never really got a chance to shine at Juventus, but he always played great when he was out on loan so I have zero doubt he's going to tear it up in MLS.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-18-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #1018
whomario
Pro Starter

Bradley is apparently a big factor behind these signings of Altidore and Giovinco, basically being the teams PR spokesperson/assistant GM (section: Foreign aquisitions). Toronto is also very likely a draw as a city, it has a great reputation in Europe.

I kinda hope that SI incorporates this more agressive mindset of MLS and thus makes the league a more viable option to play with in FM 16
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #1019
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pardew is 2-0 so far at Palace. Pleasantly surprised so far
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #1020
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Bradley is apparently a big factor behind these signings of Altidore and Giovinco, basically being the teams PR spokesperson/assistant GM (section: Foreign aquisitions). Toronto is also very likely a draw as a city, it has a great reputation in Europe.

I kinda hope that SI incorporates this more agressive mindset of MLS and thus makes the league a more viable option to play with in FM 16

Good points about Bradley.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #1021
kingfc22
Head Coach

I know it's only one half, but this is exactly the style of play Arsenal needs to play moving forward. I can't recall the last time they looked this solid against a top team on the road no less.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-18-2015 at 12:09 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #1022
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I know it's only one half, but this is exactly the style of play Arsenal needs to play moving forward. I can't recall the last time they liked this solid against a top team on the road no less.

Fantastic win, fantastic away performance. Really like Opsina's command of the area too
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #1023
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Fantastic win, fantastic away performance. Really like Opsina's command of the area too

I have been massively critical of Szczesny for a long time. Even when Arsenal have the lead, he makes really stupid mistakes and chances he shouldn't take. It was nice to see a mistake free game from a keeper. Coquilen has been massive. (which just shows you how big of an error it was to not sign a solid DM before the year started)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #1024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course Boston's not willing to pay, that's my gripe.

And I'd rather have Gio than Nguyen 7 days a week, and twice on Sundays. If you take away the national team guys coming home he is without question the greatest DP signing since like the generation of guys that came in at the very beginning.

I know people will say Beckham, but Becks was way older when he came over, and despite his ability to still play, clearly viewed MLS as a sort of retirement-lite. Gio is in his prime. He never really got a chance to shine at Juventus, but he always played great when he was out on loan so I have zero doubt he's going to tear it up in MLS.

It's $7mil a year. Not many are willing to pay that much money for any player considering MLS finances (I'm sure most are losing money still and only a handful are making money). Aside from LA can you think of any other teams with two $6mil+ players on the payroll? And Toronto now has 3. TBH, it's actually somewhat worrying, as you wonder whether this can continue for Toronto - or will it be an NASL style collapse for the team.

Beckham brought an insane amount of respectability to the league, even though he was older. It was obvious he could still play and had offers in Europe, but chose MLS. That was huge at the time and in the trajectory of the league, still is. There is a reason the league gave Beckham the opportunity to own a team after his playing days. And let's watch this guy, Giovinco, play, and see how long he does play in MLS, before we crown his ass, k?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-18-2015 at 03:09 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #1025
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Pardew is 2-0 so far at Palace. Pleasantly surprised so far

As a supporter of a team that Pardew has managed. It won't last.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #1026
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And let's watch this guy, Giovinco, play, and see how long he does play in MLS, before we crown his ass, k?

I've watched him for years.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #1027
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
As a supporter of a team that Pardew has managed. It won't last.

Still lots to do but 4 managers in like 16 months means surviving for another season is vital.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #1028
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've watched him for years.

And people watched Jermain Defoe for years as well. He did well in MLS, 11 goals in 19 appearances, but didn't get along with the coaching and front office and is now back in England.

If Giovinco is as successful in a far more physical league and stays for 5+ years... then we'll talk.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #1029
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And people watched Jermain Defoe for years as well. He did well in MLS, 11 goals in 19 appearances, but didn't get along with the coaching and front office and is now back in England.

If Giovinco is as successful in a far more physical league and stays for 5+ years... then we'll talk.

The physicality is my main concern with him - he's a small guy. He wins a ton of free kicks around the area by getting crushed, but will he still get those calls in a league where defenders get away with more physically.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #1030
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

MLS Is Putting The Fix In For Toronto FC, Right Before Our Eyes
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #1031
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the comments of that article indicate that they don't necessarily buy the premise of the article, while they do admit that the MLS is rigged. Giovinco, as a non-USMNT, does not have to go through the allocation process. And Toronto was near the top of the allocation process when they got Altidore - no other teams that were above them wanted to spend the $6mil to get Altidore free from Sunderland.

You would think that if the MLS wanted a fix for USMNT players, they'd... you know, make sure they played for American squads.

Toronto's owners just have a ton of money and want to spend it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #1032
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uh oh... apparently CBA negotiations between the MLS and the MLS Players Union ended early as they were "very far apart", especially on the issue of free agency. It seems like the players may be willing to strike over the free agency issue and the league isn't giving an inch. This could be real bad for the league.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #1033
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Uh oh... apparently CBA negotiations between the MLS and the MLS Players Union ended early as they were "very far apart", especially on the issue of free agency. It seems like the players may be willing to strike over the free agency issue and the league isn't giving an inch. This could be real bad for the league.

Not surprised. Major changes need to happen within the ownership structure.

Too much power over all of the teams in too few hands.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #1034
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though that has been really the only reason it's existed for 19 years. A slight loosening would be nice for the 20th year though.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #1035
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

cambridge hit the jackpot, drawng Man Yoo 0-0 in the fourth round of the FA Cup. This means the replay will happen at Old Trafford. Since Cambridge gets 50% of the gate, as mandated by cup rules, this means they stand to make about 1.7 million pounds.. their annual budget is 1.6 million.

WOO!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #1036
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
cambridge hit the jackpot, drawng Man Yoo 0-0 in the fourth round of the FA Cup. This means the replay will happen at Old Trafford. Since Cambridge gets 50% of the gate, as mandated by cup rules, this means they stand to make about 1.7 million pounds.. their annual budget is 1.6 million.

WOO!

we all play FM, we know FA windfall potential
Old 01-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #1037
TroyF
Coordinator

So in a matter of 90 minutes these English teams are out of the FA Cup:

Chelsea - Loss at home to Bradford City
Manchester City - Loss at home to Middlesbrough
Southhampton - Loss at home to Crystal Palace (with Chamak scoring 2 and Sonago scoring 1 causing us Arsenal fans to laugh fairly hard)
Tottenham - Loss at home to Leicester City

For those counting at home:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, are all home.

4th is ManU who has a replay at home to get through

5th, 7th, 8th, 10th are all still yet to play.

That is pretty much complete and total carnage. You have to think Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool are going to be taking this competition pretty damned seriously now. They all have a shot to win trophies.I'm sure Liverpool are dreaming of a final where Gerrard closes his career by scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup.

What a day.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #1038
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Do the premier league teams even care about the FA Cup? It kind of seems like they have just been going through the motions.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #1039
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Do the premier league teams even care about the FA Cup? It kind of seems like they have just been going through the motions.

It is not cared about as much as the league or the Champions League. It is more highly regarded than the league cup. For a team who isn't likely to win either, it is a chance to grab silverware. If you go back through the last ten years, 12 of the 20 finalists come from a group of Arsenal, ManUnited, ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea. Those teams won 7 or the 10 FA Cups.

It's not unusual to see a few upsets leading up to the FA cup, it's rare to see this amount of carnage on a single day.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #1040
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yes the big clubs care. But the lower division clubs care even more. To think the etihad used to be a fortress.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #1041
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Chelsea and City usually take the competition reasonably seriously, and neither of them had a joke team out today - Chelsea had one youth teamer at left-back, and City had Boyata in defence who I don't think gets much time, but otherwise it was all people who they'd be fine running out in the CL or the PL. They just got outplayed.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #1042
frnk55
High School Varsity

valkyria chronicles at 9.99 I couldn't resist. I've never played it but have heard things about it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #1043
MrBug708
Head Coach

Someone thought it was the Steam thread
Old 01-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #1044
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Someone thought it was the Steam thread
Unless he bet on some lower league side named Valkyria Chronicles to upset some premier league side with 9.99 odds.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #1045
AlexB
Pro Starter

Didn't realise this, but apparently our CF Leo Ulloa has scored in every FA Cup he has played in. Quick Wiki check suggests that this might only be five matches (three for Brighton, two for us) but still a handy stat!

On the downside, we have appeared in more FA Cup finals than any other team without winning any (four)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #1046
bhlloy
Coordinator

At least you have a great chance this year, by the quarters you might be the only Premiership team left in it!

I was gutted Cardiff lost to Reading, although we are awful and probably best to be concentrating on avoiding relegation, this is the year (again) to make the run.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #1047
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Michael van Praag emerges as new rival to Sepp Blatter for Fifa presidency | Football | The Guardian
Excellent.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #1048
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Awesome first half between Barca and Atletico. 5 goals, shoving matches in the tunnel before halftime. Guesses on which guy blows up in the 2nd half? Simeone has to be the favorite, but Suarez is close and half of Atletico was trying to fight Neymar.

Edit - Apparently the ref did give a red card to an Atletico player during halftime, so a comeback is unlikely. But now Arda Turan gets only a yellow for literally firing a cleat at a linesman, so the potential for mayhem is still on.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-28-2015 at 03:18 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #1049
Grover
Pro Starter

Who is this hot new striker, Fernando Torres?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #1050
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Brek Shea starting? Terrible.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote