Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #1001
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They are saying it is a calf-strain. Not a knee.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #1002
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Guy's gonna go his whole career without a full training camp.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #1003
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Now Jalen Ramsey is carted off and having surgery, expected to miss start of the season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:45 PM   #1004
GrantDawg

Sony Michel announced his retirement today.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2023, 12:48 PM   #1005
Ksyrup

Stop me if you've heard this before - a Broncos WR got injured. Tim Patrick. Again. Ridiculous.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-31-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:14 PM   #1006
Ksyrup

Looks like a torn achilles. Damn. Coming off of an ACL last year.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:18 PM   #1007
Ksyrup

AND KJ Hamler being waived due to a heart condition, but they expect to bring him back weeks from now once he's done with treatment. FFS.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:43 PM   #1008
Ksyrup

My daughter bought a Tim Patrick jersey over 2 years ago and he has not played a single down since. He tore his achilles today, 363 days since he blew his ACL.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:45 PM   #1009
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My daughter bought a Tim Patrick jersey over 2 years ago and he has not played a single down since. He tore his achilles today, 363 days since he blew his ACL.

Ksyurp, please send me your address in my DMs. I have a few Packers, Bears and Vikings jerseys I’d like to send to your daughter. Plz k thx
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:51 PM   #1010
Ksyrup

I'm from Detroit and that's NFL team #2 for us to root for. You're lucky there were no Hutchinson jerseys available at the Dick's in Novi at the beginning of July or else he'd be in some serious trouble. She was on the hunt for a jersey to use with her Dick's discount, but it was just Tigers gear and some UM stuff, I think.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:00 PM   #1011
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm from Detroit and that's NFL team #2 for us to root for. You're lucky there were no Hutchinson jerseys available at the Dick's in Novi at the beginning of July or else he'd be in some serious trouble. She was on the hunt for a jersey to use with her Dick's discount, but it was just Tigers gear and some UM stuff, I think.

I’ve been to that Dick’s! Please ask her to return that Tigers and UM stuff. I’d really like to take no chances!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #1012
Ksyrup

That's all they had up, she didn't buy anything.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #1013
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That's all they had up, she didn't buy anything.

Oh, good!
Old 08-01-2023, 11:00 AM   #1014
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

You stay classy, Cleveland Browns.

Browns Players “Trashed” United Airlines Plane During Flight Back To Cleveland, Caused Massive Delays After Pilot Called It “Most Disgusting” Plane Of His Career
Old 08-01-2023, 11:19 AM   #1015
Danny
Head Coach

Did Watson secure special massages for everyone on the flight?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:03 PM   #1016
Ksyrup

Waiting for PilotMan's "guess who I carried on my plane" post ...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-01-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #1017
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I haven't gone to a book signing in many years - last one might have been for William Gibson and one of his science fiction novels.

But Hall of Fame week brings lots of activity to this area, and front-runner me liked the Dolphins as a kid. So when I read that Larry Csonka was doing a signing, I signed up. It's at the new Shula's restaurant in the HoF complex. I'm heading out in a bit. He's from the area.

No, I won't ask him if he celebrates with champagne when the last undefeated team loses each season. Probably won't ask him anything - just shaking hands with a legend seems pretty cool.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #1018
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I haven't gone to a book signing in many years - last one might have been for William Gibson and one of his science fiction novels.

A name from the past ... Neuromancer!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:03 PM   #1019
Ksyrup

My daughter and her BF, who is a diehard Cleveland fan, will be attending the induction ceremony for whatever Browns player is going in.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:01 PM   #1020
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
A name from the past ... Neuromancer!

Neuromancer is what got me hooked, but I had no idea who he was then. The professor for a sci-fi class I was an assistant for while in grad school introduced it. This was for Idoru, which didn't work as well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
My daughter and her BF, who is a diehard Cleveland fan, will be attending the induction ceremony for whatever Browns player is going in.

That would be Joe Thomas, tackle extraordinaire protecting far more pedestrian quarterbacks. This area will become a madhouse starting in a couple of days. It was a seven-minute drive tonight. It will be 30 then.

Csonka's wife was there, talking with friends at the back of the room. I didn't think she was in the book, so I didn't ask her to sign. But I see she's featured toward the end, so I probably should have.

I didn't sign up early enough for admission to his talk. That was hours ago. He looked exhausted. Understandable, given his age and how many of these he must do. Very polite, but tired. I have a link to download a photo tomorrow.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #1021
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's a real shame that Thomas never got to play tackle for a QB good enough to make it mean something.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:46 PM   #1022
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Washington Commanders' name change to Redskins has fans approval post $6,050,000,000 Dan Snyder exit

I know this is click bait but I would welcome a return of the "Redskins" if the team changed it's logo to a potatoe.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:57 PM   #1023
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know this is click bait but I would welcome a return of the "Redskins" if the team changed it's logo to a potatoe.
I'm old enough to remember Dan Quayle.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:40 PM   #1024
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I'm old enough to remember Dan Quayle.

I was born in Indiana so I feel obligated.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:05 AM   #1025
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nickelodeon Slime Super Bowl broadcast will be great this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:15 AM   #1026
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Former Saints player Mike McKenzie: 'NFL stops caring' | Opinions and Editorials | nola.com
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #1027
Ksyrup

DeMarcus Ware. Holy shit. My wife muted the TV lol.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:34 PM   #1028
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware. Holy shit. My wife muted the TV lol.

what?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:36 PM   #1029
GrantDawg

I met this little girl and her parents at Jordancon (her mom is a coordinator for the con). Her full name is Aviendha, after a character from the Wheel of Time books. This is really cute.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #1030
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
what?

He "sang" the national anthem. It, uh, wasn't good, dawg.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:53 PM   #1031
Ksyrup

I suppose it's time for a 23-24 season thread, but I'm already here.

Saw Anthony Richardson with the bad footwork, double-clutch, throw-off-the-back-foot, sail a pass right into the DBs arms and... yep, that's the guy I remember from college.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:15 PM   #1032
Danny
Head Coach

Aidan O'connell looked really good. Id take him over Stroud or Richardson at this point.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 07:14 AM   #1033
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Saints' rookie camp kicker, who looks like he's in middle school, forgot his credentials yesterday and was apparently challenged by security on his way on and off the field, being told that he was entering an area that was for "players only."

He also hit the game winner as time expired. Hope he makes it on a roster somewhere.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #1034
QuikSand
lolzcat

Took my son, 10, to his first big stadium game this weekend. The standout in the battle of the depth charts was, to us, undrafted rookie Keaton Mitchell. One of the fastest kids in the draft, he's that 5'7" type who has great quickness and foot speed, but is noticeably small on the field. They gave him KR duties the whole game, and he got to run at RB with the 3rd team. He has a super-fast quick step... might be another gadget guy like Jakeem Grant or Kalif Raymond, which ought to be good enough to make a team (though the battle for skill positions on the Ravens is just brutal).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #1035
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Took my son, 10, to his first big stadium game this weekend. The standout in the battle of the depth charts was, to us, undrafted rookie Keaton Mitchell. One of the fastest kids in the draft, he's that 5'7" type who has great quickness and foot speed, but is noticeably small on the field. They gave him KR duties the whole game, and he got to run at RB with the 3rd team. He has a super-fast quick step... might be another gadget guy like Jakeem Grant or Kalif Raymond, which ought to be good enough to make a team (though the battle for skill positions on the Ravens is just brutal).

Gah, can we just NOT? lol, I'm kidding ... but not entirely

You see, Mitchell was part of the ELCA dynasty that won four straight state titles (and made four straight finals), denying Athens Academy any real hope of a title during their own best era. We led them 10-0 at the half in 2018 ... lost 44-17, and Mitchell ran 17 times for 173 yards and two touchdowns, nearly all in the second half. 2x offensive player of the year in the classification, had 88 TDs with only two seasons as a full-time starter, nearly 5,000 yards rushing for his career (and frequently only played 2.5-3.0 quarters due to blowouts)

Yeah, I've seen more than enough of him to last several lifetimes lol
Old 08-15-2023, 11:26 AM   #1036
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saw Anthony Richardson with the bad footwork, double-clutch, throw-off-the-back-foot, sail a pass right into the DBs arms and... yep, that's the guy I remember from college.

Rookie Anthony Richardson named as Colts' starting QB - ESPN
Old 08-15-2023, 02:27 PM   #1037
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

"Of particular note, the Colts said, was the way he composed himself after throwing a costly interception on his first drive, a turnover that led to a Bills touchdown on the ensuing possession."

Riiiight. He earned the starting job by getting intercepted so good?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 02:42 PM   #1038
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

There's quite a few Colts fans who want the Colts to tank this year so they can draft Marvin Harrison Jr. next year.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #1039
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

They really need to figure out what they have in him this season because if he shows nothing then they should be able to draft Caleb Williams. If he shows a little bit they could be just bad enough with him to draft Harrison Jr. If for some reason he plays well enough that either of those aren’t an option then that is a good thing by itself.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:55 AM   #1040
Edward64
Head Coach

Hate to think it was all for the wrong reasons.

My speculation is Oher is in a bad place and needed some money.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:01 AM   #1041
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hate to think it was all for the wrong reasons.

My speculation is Oher is in a bad place and needed some money.

He might be in a bad place and need the money, but the core of what he is claiming is true. It has long been known that the movie was a fiction in all but the names.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #1042
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oher has been pretty steadfast about not liking how he was portrayed in the movie almost from the movie's release. I'm sure money is a part of the filing but are not that big of a deal for me. People get screwed out of money by family members all the time. If Mom and Dad decided to give the other kids a full share and Oher less than that, it would suck but that is a family issue. The important questions for me seem like things that can be addressed rather quickly.

Was he adopted or not? There should be some adoption paperwork somewhere right?

Was he placed in a conservatorship or not? Again there should be some paperwork to show if this is the case or not. If so, why?

Sidenote- Oher had to have an agent while he played, right? If Oher was in a conservatorship, was he allowed to hire his own agent or did the agent work for the Tuohys?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:09 PM   #1043
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Sidenote- Oher had to have an agent while he played, right? If Oher was in a conservatorship, was he allowed to hire his own agent or did the agent work for the Tuohys?

Based on the report, the Tuohy family struck the deal for the film with an agent at CAA, while Oher’s agent is listed as Debra Branan, “a close family friend of the Tuohys and the same lawyer who filed the 2004 conservatorship petition.”
Old 08-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #1044
Swaggs
Coordinator

If the part about each of the four non-Oher Tuohy family members each got 2.5% of net proceeds, but he didn't, that alone is pretty messed up and gives the appearance of them watching out more for their biological children rather than him (when it was largely his story). Hopefully, they negotiated something similar for him and it has/had been put in a trust.

My guess is that they took advantage of the situation, but were smart and wealthy enough to have lawyers handling every step of the process.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #1045
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Was he placed in a conservatorship or not? Again there should be some paperwork to show if this is the case or not. If so, why?

The answer to the first part is a definite yes. I guess the answer to the second part is the emboldened and underlined part? Protection to attend Ole Miss?

'Blind Side' Tuohy family looks to end Michael Oher conservatorship

Quote:
Court records show Oher signed the conservatorship papers in August 2004, three months after his 18th birthday. Legal experts have said there is no basis for the conservatorship to exist. Sean Tuohy and the couple’s attorneys have said this week that the conservatorship was a means of protection for Oher to attend Ole Miss, the couple’s alma mater, and that the maneuver would make him part of the family.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #1046
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Protection to attend Ole Miss?

The "dad" had NCAA booster status with Ole Miss, so due to their relationship with Oher the only way he could go there (which he wanted to do) was if he was a family member. (or had some other legal standing with them beyond a booster-paying-a-recruit)

The "mom" has said an attorney told them they couldn't legally adopt Oher because he had reached/exceeded the age of 18 so this was their solution. However a family law expert in TN has since said that's not the case, that you can easily enough adopt someone over the age of 18 there, it simply requires the biological to sign off on it (which they did in the conservatorship agreement so doesn't seem like that was an obstacle)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #1047
GrantDawg

So the most likely case is the lawyer told them adoption would give him a legal right to part of their estate but a conservatorship would benefit only them.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #1048
GrantDawg

Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a fourth-round pick. That was a huge miss.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #1049
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a fourth-round pick. That was a huge miss.

Don't know what the injury did to him, but seems like they gave up too soon on him.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:38 PM   #1050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Don't know what the injury did to him, but seems like they gave up too soon on him.

Or the stark realization that they paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for him in the first place.

I believe the stat I saw earlier is that his entire live football career to date -- high school through pros -- contains fewer pass attempts than Tom Brady single season attempts at age 42, 43, 44, or 45.