Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #10301
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history, no pun particularly intended. The lowest point we ever descended to, and perhaps the first time I've truly been ashamed to be an American. We have no one to blame but ourselves for it ultimately, decades upon decades of mistakes & missteps all leading to this moment. hope, all that's left is to fight to the end & deny the enemy as much of the spoils as possible. Maybe there's at least enough backbone left to do a decent job of that.
Hmmm... I thought that the darkest day was when Dubya got "elected" the first time (remember Florida?), and that was topped (bottomed??) by his re-election after voters saw four years of his stupidity.

I thought that both candidates left a lot to be desired.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #10302
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I really am glad that Obama seems to have this election wrapped up.

I hate to toot my own horn. But toot, baby.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #10303
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
fantom - I don't really think Canada would strike me as a particular improvement. But if there was still enough in my bank account to accomodate it

We can hold a Carwash.....
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #10304
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You don't think there were boos at Kerry's concession?

Nope.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #10305
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe the single most common sentiment for more than a year has consistently been that McCain isn't worth pissing on if he spontaneously combusted, or some variation thereof. I didn't give a damn for him when he sought the nomination, I didn't give a damn for him when he got it, and I damned sure don't give a damn for him now that he's presided over this debacle.

yy

Nice concession speech too. Basically the "aw shucks" variety. I'm not sure anyone could have beaten Obama, but I would have appreciated a bit more effort.

Hopefully you'll be able to continue to do what you do Jon, even if you get taxed into bolivian.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #10306
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I hate to toot my own horn. But toot, baby.

Way to go out on a limb.

When will the Bengals win a Super Bowl. Now, that will impress me.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #10307
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Although I voted for Obama largely as an anti-Palin vote, I'm absolutely fascinated by the election results.

Depending on how his presidency(ies?) go, I think he could very easily sustain the Reganesque levels of mystique he's acquired.

(Note: I'm wholly against the cult of personality surrounding him and it's one of the reasons why I was undecided until more and more came out revealing how psychotic Palin is.)

I just hope people are realistic. I voted for Barr, but I rather see Obama over McCain (even though Obama's tax-and-spend platform concern me). The social conservative and Bush mess turned me off.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #10308
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

edit away uncoolness

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-04-2008 at 11:12 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #10309
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Way to go out on a limb.

When will the Bengals win a Super Bowl. Now, that will impress me.

I don't think even God knows.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-04-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #10310
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
fantom - I don't really think Canada would strike me as a particular improvement. But if there was still enough in my bank account to accomodate it & I could figure out somewhere else to be where the practical aspects of it (i.e. my just widowed mother-in-law unwilling to relocate,etc.) I'd be out of here tomorrow. Well actually I doubt I would have stuck around for the past couple of weeks but you get the idea.

I have thought about this. If people were unhappy with Bush and the nation going to the right, Canada is more left than the US and you also have most of Europe to go to if you had the means to leave.

But where do people who want a more "to the right" nation go? (And no, this is not leading up to a "LOL Iran" punchline.). In all seriousness, what nation is out there that would be the "go to" place for someone no happy with the nation going to the left, but still want to remain within reason with regards to the civil rights they enjoy and the standard of living they are accustomed to?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #10311
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I feel sorry for Jon. He must live a very fearful, hate-filled existence.

Somehow I'm sure he'll get over the fact that you don't particularly care for him. Just a hunch.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #10312
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
yy
even if you get taxed into bolivian.

I hate it when I get taxed into a small south american country!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #10313
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You won, show some class and get over this stuff.

That is one of the things that grinds me about this current political environment (on both sides). In the end, a very large percent of the population voted for McCain, so.. basically lumping everyone together, calling them evil, stupid or whatever really doesn't help anyone unless you want to continue with an us vs them model all the time.

I think and hope that Obama understands this even if large segments of the population don't.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #10314
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I have thought about this. If people were unhappy with Bush and the nation going to the right, Canada is more left than the US and you also have most of Europe to go to if you had the means to leave.

But where do people who want a more "to the right" nation go? (And no, this is not leading up to a "LOL Iran" punchline.). In all seriousness, what nation is out there that would be the "go to" place for someone no happy with the nation going to the left, but still want to remain within reason with regards to the civil rights they enjoy and the standard of living they are accustomed to?

Switzerland?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #10315
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Gay marriage bans. Florida, 62% yes, 89% reporting. Arizona 56% yes, 76% reporting. California 56% yes, 10% reporting.

Electing Obama shows we're moving in the right direction as a country.

The results on the gay marriage bans show we still have a ways to go.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #10316
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

OK, that's a pretty classy crowd there, I'll give them that.

But I still disagree with the sentiment that Republicans don't boo and Democrats do.

Here's one of Dems booing Obama's assertion that "McCain served his contrary honorably".

YouTube - Obama Gives McCain The Finger

I don't think any of it means anything, and I don't have a problem with anybody booing whenever the fuck they want. Just the sentiment that only Republicans do it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #10317
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Sean Hannity I hope leaves the country as well; along with Rush Limbaugh.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #10318
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

+1
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #10319
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

I apologize for the poor choice of words, which after a second reading certainly has a tone of racism, offensiveness, and ambiguity. Allow me to clarify: I was referring to the belief amongst SOME african-americans, (and minorities as a whole) that America as a whole is still "out to get" them. That their voice can not be heard. That race, ethnicity, and creed is still as much as a widespread issue that it bears consideration in seemingly every fundamental issue in the country. That "white america" only cares about the interests of itself. This perception was shattered tonight. Senator Obama has won a historical election by a landslide. Hell, Iowa voted 54% for Obama. So it is a testament to how far we have come, and a shame that we (whites, blacks, yellows, greens, etc.) decide to only focus sometimes on the pitfalls of our society when in reality we have come a long way in 50 or so years. Yes, horrible choice of words on my part and I should not have generalized "all" african americans. What I meant to say is that I am happy that America is now in a position where we can no longer say that some-ones race has a bearing on their ability to be treated objectively and fairly.

Congrats Obama.

Last edited by BillyMadison : 11-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #10320
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I see lots of legal battles. It will over-turn in time, as the younger generation takes over. It's sad that these bans are being passed.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-04-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #10321
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that being said, since you have explained that, i retract my comment that was intend to be in humor. although i stand by my claim that it's hyperbole

And I'll accept that with appreciation. I'm not going to lay any sort of claim to complete & utter colorblindness (I don't believe it exists period) but I'll stand by the absence of anything racial in my choice of phrases to describe the situation.
In more colorful terms, there's no rope there for any pitard hoisting.

As to the issue of hyperbole, I have to ask (legit, because I'm not sure, and because it's a more pleasant sidebar than parsing the losses in the House):
I generally interpret hyperbole, defined as "extravagant exaggeration", as including some intent. In other words, you're knowingly & intentionally, overstating some situation.

Rest assured that, from the very bottom of my heart & soul, I mean precisely what I said, is it still "hyperbole"? I guess what I'm asking is who determines the degree of "extravagant exaggeration", the speaker or the listener? An inquiring non-English major wonders & figures we've got enough grammar police that someone will actually know the correct answer.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #10322
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Switzerland?

I love the mountains!

And it just so happens, I'm learning German!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #10323
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

an ex-CA friend of mine tells me he still thinks it'll go down, and we have a while to go. I'm just praying for a friend of mine out there.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #10324
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Sometimes, the best in us can overcome the worst in us.

Are you suggesting that the people that voted for McCain represent the worst of us?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #10325
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
You don't think there were boos at Kerry's concession?

Kerry's concession came a day after the election, at Fanuiel Hall, before an invited crowd.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #10326
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Are you suggesting that the people that voted for McCain represent the worst of us?

The people who voted Palin, maybe.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #10327
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Fairness" Doctrine, here we come!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #10328
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, that's a pretty classy crowd there, I'll give them that.

But I still disagree with the sentiment that Republicans don't boo and Democrats do.

Here's one of Dems booing Obama's assertion that "McCain served his contrary honorably".

YouTube - Obama Gives McCain The Finger

I don't think any of it means anything, and I don't have a problem with anybody booing whenever the fuck they want. Just the sentiment that only Republicans do it.

I think booing at a concession speech is different than booing on the campaign trail. I found the boos during McCain's classy concession to be in very poor taste. That booing shouldn't be defended.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #10329
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That is one of the things that grinds me about this current political environment (on both sides). In the end, a very large percent of the population voted for McCain, so.. basically lumping everyone together, calling them evil, stupid or whatever really doesn't help anyone unless you want to continue with an us vs them model all the time.

I think and hope that Obama understands this even if large segments of the population don't.

Great post. McCain is at 44 million votes and counting. Its not like there were a dozen people on his side.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #10330
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
"Fairness" Doctrine, here we come!

I'll place a friendly wager that there will be no revival of the "fairness doctrine" during the Obama administration. Obama opposes it and I don't think anyone will push it. It's just a dumb idea.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #10331
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think booing at a concession speech is different than booing on the campaign trail. I found the boos during McCain's classy concession to be in very poor taste. That booing shouldn't be defended.

So you think no Democrat has ever boo'd a concession speech? Or do you just get off correcting me all the time
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #10332
sabotai
General Manager

CNN has projected a few ballot initiatives

Arizona's Gay marriage ban is projected to pass.

Michigan to allow medical weed is projected to pass

Colorado's "Life at Conception" is projected to fail.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #10333
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
I apologize for the poor choice of words, which after a second reading certainly has a tone of racism, offensiveness, and ambiguity. Allow me to clarify: I was referring to the belief amongst SOME african-americans, (and minorities as a whole) that America as a whole is still "out to get" them. That their voice can not be heard. That race, ethnicity, and creed is still as much as a widespread issue that it bears consideration in seemingly every fundamental issue in the country. That "white america" only cares about the interests of itself. This perception was shattered tonight. Senator Obama has won a historical election by a landslide. Hell, Iowa voted 54% for Obama. So it is a testament to how far we have come, and a shame that we (whites, blacks, yellows, greens, etc.) decide to only focus sometimes on the pitfalls of our society when in reality we have come a long way in 50 or so years.

Congrats Obama.

Are you the same guy?

A much better explanation.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #10334
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #10335
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I just hope people are realistic. I voted for Barr, but I rather see Obama over McCain (even though Obama's tax-and-spend platform concern me). The social conservative and Bush mess turned me off.

I don't know how realistic people are going to be. Like I commented to someone who asked on facebook about my status about the next four years being fascinating, I don't know how it's going to turn out.

There's too many unknown variables at play here to say anything with any real certainty.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #10336
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Have you read any of the prior posts? Every concession speech that has been made on the same night as the election has had booing, regardless of party.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #10337
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I love the mountains!

Well, that's half of Switzerland (just guessing). French is a spoken in a good portion of the western half of the country, and I believe a handful of cantons (pretty much states in Switzerland) speak Italian. I think a very small portion speaks Romansh.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #10338
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Congratulations Obama.

So far a decent speech from him.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #10339
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
So you think no Democrat has ever boo'd a concession speech? Or do you just get off correcting me all the time

I have no idea on past concession speeches, but I would always say booing is very poor form. I just happened to remember Kerry's concession speech (perhaps because it was probably the best speech he gave).
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #10340
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

This is a great speech.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10341
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I love the mountains!

Swiss-German is to German as Ebonics is to English. Found that out the hard way.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10342
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Probably. And that wasn't cool of me. My bad. I'll go edit. Now is not a night for discord. Now is a night for America.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10343
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The younger people are not bothered by race as much the older people.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll place a friendly wager that there will be no revival of the "fairness doctrine" during the Obama administration. Obama opposes it and I don't think anyone will push it. It's just a dumb idea.

Alright. We're on. I'll buy you lunch if I ever visit the city.

I just don't have the same faith in these guys that you do. Hopefully they can control themselves on stupid shit like this. I mean, the fact that it's even being discussed by peeps who have a lot of power(Schumer (sp) shows that they need to get a grip.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10345
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Have you read any of the prior posts? Every concession speech that has been made on the same night as the election has had booing, regardless of party.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10346
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

That's a decent move!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #10347
Galaxy
Coordinator

The popular vote is a pretty good sign that the GOP isn't "dead".
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #10348
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I'll accept that with appreciation. I'm not going to lay any sort of claim to complete & utter colorblindness (I don't believe it exists period) but I'll stand by the absence of anything racial in my choice of phrases to describe the situation.
In more colorful terms, there's no rope there for any pitard hoisting.

As to the issue of hyperbole, I have to ask (legit, because I'm not sure, and because it's a more pleasant sidebar than parsing the losses in the House):
I generally interpret hyperbole, defined as "extravagant exaggeration", as including some intent. In other words, you're knowingly & intentionally, overstating some situation.

Rest assured that, from the very bottom of my heart & soul, I mean precisely what I said, is it still "hyperbole"? I guess what I'm asking is who determines the degree of "extravagant exaggeration", the speaker or the listener? An inquiring non-English major wonders & figures we've got enough grammar police that someone will actually know the correct answer.

good question - i'd be curious where the line is too.

btw jon - watching obama's speech - he's reaching out to you - he wants to mend fences. we're one america, not a collection of red and blue.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #10349
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully Obama will be a better guy than I give him credit for. He's nowhere near as much of a douche as the Kerry's of the world. I just don't agree with a lot of his stances.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #10350
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Imagine if it wasn't for Oprah, Obama wouldn't have run for election.

- Or did I hear the story wrong.