Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #10251
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
yes, I can rank people's morality based on heir actions to prevent preventable deaths.

Let's examine that a bit. In this case, you're proposing that ranking be done based on unnecessary deaths from Covid - and of course we would wish to include other deaths that are indirectly caused by that due to lack of medical access when hospitals are full, etc. So let's assume those indirect deaths and the covid deaths that aren't preventable have been a wash. That's definitely not the case, but I'll stipulate it for the purpose of being overly charitable to your position. We're now approach a million Covid US deaths, so we'll call that our baseline number. It's a nice round one for comparison.

What other examples do we have of people not preventing preventable deaths? We could easily discuss war or many other topics which would dwarf the covid number, but one fairly non-controversial example is global poverty. It has been a number of decades since there was any reasonable excuse for allowing wide-spread global poverty to continue. Certainly at least since the 1950s developed, rich countries have had the ability to eliminate that scourge if we chose for, relative to the scale and scope of the program, an extremely small hit to our comfortable prosperity. Did we? Of course not. We didn't care enough. Oh we did the odd telethon and drop-in-the-bucket levels of foreign aid, but nothing even remotely approximating a serious effort.

Over time the situation has improved drastically, but even so as of less than a decade ago 80% of the world's population lived on less than $10 a day, 15% or so on less than $2 a day, 22,000 children died daily according to UNICEF estimates because of poverty, over a third of the world did not have basic sanitation, and so on. We could continue citing stats here till the cows come home, but let's just focus on the estimated number of children dying, and completely ignore adults for the time being.

To equal the one million Covid-related deaths discussed above would take a month and a half. We could also note that if we want to get upset about something Covid-related, we should get upset about our failure to do as the WHO recommended and prioritize first doses to foreign countries above boosters for Americans. But just to stick with this comparison, you could even assume that every single worldwide death of Covid is blameable on those who don't take the vaccine and it is till not even in the same discussion as the volume of poverty-related deaths in the poor nations of the world that we have accepted and done almost nothing about for decade after decade after decade because we just couldn't be bothered.

This is our fault as people who live in gross indulgence by any relevant historical and/or global measure. And by comparison we haven't got a leg to stand on. The Covid pandemic is not even worth being mentioned in the same sentence as the level of suffering that we have glibly tolerated. As a result, any moral judgement we may wish to make starts with a mirror. This idea that the supposed indifference to others by people who don't take the vaccine is some new, stunning development is ludicrous on its face.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #10252
molson
General Manager

If we could have drastically reduced and eventually eliminated global poverty just by getting a shot, and people didn't, that'd be pretty fucked up.

I might even say something mean about someone who made that selfish choice. The horrors!

I'm not a great person or anything, but I do a lot more than just get a shot to try to help the less fortunate. A shot would be the least I could do if that was an option. A no-brainer. But that's too much to ask for the truly selfish people. The worst of the worst.

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2022 at 11:47 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #10253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If we had spent the same amount of resources fighting global poverty as we have Covid, adjusted down for inflation, relative value to the economy at the time, all of that, it would have made a dramatic difference. So yes, all of that ends in the same place. We didn't - and still don't - care enough collectively to do it.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #10254
molson
General Manager

We don't care enough about global poverty. But the anti-vaxxers care the least. The least is asked of them. They still don't want to help. That's what makes them the worst people.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #10255
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That just doesn't make sense. It's a conclusion driving the bus. If I take a vaccine but am in general a jerk to others and selfish with my money etc., compared to someone who doesn't take the vaccine but generally treats people well, donates more to charity than I do, etc, who has the more negative impact on the world?

It's one dimension we can use to measure in this direction, but it's only one. With others that overwhelm its impact. So no, 'anti-vaxxers are the worst people' is not a supportable blanket statement, even leaving aside the differences in motivation that are impossible to know.

As said, works great if your goal is to demonize others whose behavior makes you mad. Works horribly if your goal is to rationally assess the situation.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #10256
molson
General Manager

I don't have time or energy in my life to rationally access everything and seek deeper discourse with people I find abhorrent. That's great if you do. Didn't someone once challenge you and ask whether you would have friendships and rational productive discourse with KKK members about their views and you said of course you would? I may be thinking of someone else. I'm not interested in doing that. I'm not interested in debating and seeking rational discourse about the ethics of adults' sexual relationships with minors with a NAMBLA member. I don't feel I'm required to do that. I don't feel I'm required to do that with anti-vaxxers either. It's an easy litmus test to determine whether they have any value to me at all as person or someone I want to spend any time engaging with on that issue, or any issue of substance, or share any part of myself with.

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #10257
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We don't care enough about global poverty. But the anti-vaxxers care the least. The least is asked of them. They still don't want to help. That's what makes them the worst people.

My napkin math says that for the cost of the F-35 stealth fighter program, we could give a cherry poptart to every person in the world every day for almost two years.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #10258
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It goes back to the point about civility and building civilizations. We all have ideas about which issues are important and why. But those often differ.

It's when we allow ourselves to get so caught up in our specific morality that we give ourselves permission to call someone immoral or an idiot that we lose our ability to reach each other.

With the COVID issue, like many issues involving science that few of us understand on a molecular level, I think the best way to have influence is honestly communicating the latest studies and aggregate analyses, calmly responding to questions that might seem dumb or might seem trolling.

Once we permit ourselves to "go nuclear" on the dissent, we're part of the problem rather than part of the solution. I think the media's done that. I mentioned the electrician who worked on my house a couple of months ago - I don't think he's immoral or a bad person or stupid. But he does not trust the media or the government one tiny bit, so he thinks the vaccine is harmful. He's closed off.

That's unfortunate, but I think while he might or might not be causing harm through his views (it's entirely possible he has natural immunity without even knowing it, and/or has never spread COVID), it's the lack of civility out there that prevented us from reaching him.

In my opinion, and it's just mine, those out there who lose that veneer of civility are responsible for as much harm as anyone.

It's unfortunate that social media, made even more essential by COVID, makes it so easy to be anonymous and uncivil. You can write things to people that you would never say to them in person. One, for fear of starting a fistfight. But two, because standing in front of someone physically is a reminder of their humanity. You read their facial expressions, their reactions to you, their tone of voice; you can communicate quickly and more effectively.

As an aside, this is part of why you might call me anti-mask (I think it's a more nuanced argument). Kids need to learn to read facial expressions - that takes a long, long time. They need face-to-face socialization and there's a huge cost to closing the schools or making them wear masks in schools. I am hearing impaired myself, and I did not realize how much I depend on facial expressions to "tune in" on voices. I don't read lips, but I really struggle to understand someone who is wearing a mask until I can reliably sort out the pieces of the noises they're making from the environment around them as part of a continual voice.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #10259
molson
General Manager

Would you engage in that level of thoughtful resigned discourse with a proud antisemite? To hear where he's coming from? To reach common ground? Maybe you're part of the problem if you're too mean to them and don't assume validity in their position. Maybe it's really your fault than anti-Semitism exists because you're too mean about it and you're not willing to give them a big enough platform so they feel validated about their views.

Edit: If you think that's distinguishable, you're admitting there's a line somewhere. And for some of us, more and more mainstream voices and major politicians are crossing that line all the time. Imagine how concerning that is. And the response is that we just have to accept it and be nicer about it and that it's kind of our fault it happens at all.

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:28 PM   #10260
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Would you engage in that level of thoughtful resigned discourse with a proud antisemite? To hear where he's coming from? To reach common ground? Maybe you're part of the problem if you're too mean to them and don't assume validity in their position. Maybe it's really your fault than anti-Semitism exists because you're too mean about it and you're not willing to give them a big enough platform so they feel validated about their views.

You see, we agree. That's exactly the point I'm making. How does someone allow himself to become an anti-semite? At what point does he or she lose the ability to see people of Jewish heritage as fellow human beings?

Of course I'd be willing to have a calm discussion with a bigot. I have no tolerance for the views themselves, but I do have an understanding of the underlying issues. If I can't calmly relate why I am against bigotry, then absolutely I am part of the problem.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #10261
molson
General Manager

Would you say the Jewish people cause or aggravate anti-Semitism because they don't seek out enough rationale discourse on the subject?

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #10262
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Would you say the Jewish people cause or aggravate anti-Semitism because they don't seek out enough rationale discourse on the subject?

No. I wouldn't. I was reading a very interesting essay just a couple of hours ago from Coleman Hughes about Black History Month. His point was that Jewish people have done very well to illustrate the positives about their contributions to the world, and what he loved about the spirit of Black History Month was that it had the same approach.

It's not so much an aggravation, but an unwillingness to challenge that causes problems. If we don't speak out because we're afraid those who disagree with us will be uncivil, then do we bear a certain responsibility for problems?

Maybe. The "heckler's veto" is often out there. But we can't stop trying and we can't lose sight of what's good within ourselves.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #10263
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Of course I'd be willing to have a calm discussion with a bigot.

I guess that's admirable, but I don't think I'm morally required to do the same. There's a lot of shit I want to do that I don't find time for, "having a calm discussion with a bigot" isn't a big priority. There's so many non-bigots in my life I don't have as much time to spend with as I'd like.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #10264
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't think you're morally required to do so, either. And that doesn't necessarily mean you're part of the problem.

I feel happier challenging myself not to get stuck in a philosophical rut, because my own disability isolates me from so much in life. It helps me to remember that everyone has to decide for themselves what's moral.

So that leads us, naturally, to try and figure out what's more important in life. What positions do we feel are so out there that we don't trust the morality of those who hold them?

We might well, then disagree on what's bad enough to warrant inclusion on such a list. I think bigotry belongs there. I also think those who are truly bigoted probably can't participate in that calm discussion. I had that experience not that long ago with a minister who happens to be in my family. I don't agree with his sense of morality and when I tried to have that discussion, he became very angry. I'd hesitate to reduce him to a cartoon and call him a bigot, but part of me wonders. He certainly wouldn't think of himself that way.

And, of course, we have the COVID issue. Does that rise to the same level? In many ways, yes, many ways no. But probably one difference is that there's more room to communicate, hopefully less emotion. So I won't stop trying and hopefully everyone on both sides is still open to learning more.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #10265
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Dare I say there's no shortage of bigots or antisemites in this country, so folks framing "I certainly would/could have a calm logical discussion about bigotry with a bigot" as some kind of hypothetical is suspect. What's been stopping you so far?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-22-2022 at 02:09 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #10266
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Dare I say there's no shortage of bigots or antisemites in this country, so the folks saying "I certainly would/could have a calm logical discussion about bigotry with a bigot" as some kind of hypothetical is suspect. What's been stopping you so far?

Nothing. I've tried and will continue to try. Just because something is important and I will make time for it doesn't mean it's a 24/7 activity. I'd have approximately 35 children and not enough time to eat, sleep or write "hello, world" if that were the case.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #10267
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Didn't someone once challenge you and ask whether you would have friendships and rational productive discourse with KKK members about their views and you said of course you would?

Yes I did. I've also talked about people who I've been 'friendly' with who are Q.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting certain people to be part of your life. I disagree with that - we've been down that road before and reached the agree-to-disagree point - but what I've been talking about here isn't that. You can say 'I don't want anything to do with anti-vaxxers' and that's not the same as saying 'anti-vaxxers are the worst people'. I mean, if what we're saying is we're going to claim that and at the same time say we don't have time to rationally assess it; if so, then we have no business making that claim and it makes no larger point than 'I hate you'.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-22-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #10268
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
My napkin math says that for the cost of the F-35 stealth fighter program, we could give a cherry poptart to every person in the world every day for almost two years.

/thread
Old 02-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #10269
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Nothing. I've tried and will continue to try. Just because something is important and I will make time for it doesn't mean it's a 24/7 activity. I'd have approximately 35 children and not enough time to eat, sleep or write "hello, world" if that were the case.

It sure sounds like you've given yourself all the moral credit for something you do occasionally, at your own convenience. It's not exactly soapbox material.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-22-2022 at 02:34 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #10270
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yes I did. I've also talked about people who I've been 'friendly' with who are Q.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting certain people to be part of your life. I disagree with that - we've been down that road before and reached the agree-to-disagree point - but what I've been talking about here isn't that. You can say 'I don't want anything to do with anti-vaxxers' and that's not the same as saying 'anti-vaxxers are the worst people'. I mean, if what we're saying is we're going to claim that and at the same time say we don't have time to rationally assess it; if so, then we have no business making that claim and it makes no larger point than 'I hate you'.

Ah yes, I do remember your position that you think you should have some say who I connect with in my life. That was a good one.

Edit: We've all learned more about mental health over the last couple of years, and what our own struggles are. I know I don't have the mental health to have certain types of people in my life, or to even engage with them over a certain level of substance. It's one of those rules based on self-awareness that has helped me do just a little better, and in a better position to take on other mental health challenges.

And if a goal should be to have or express less hate (or "nuclear dissent") generally, for anti-vaxxers, or whoever, and maybe it should be - not engaging with them is the very best way for me personally to move towards that noble goal.

Last edited by molson : 02-22-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:14 PM   #10271
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It sure sounds like you've given yourself all the moral credit for something you do occasionally, at your own convenience. It's not exactly soapbox material.

Who said it was? What have you done in the last 24 hours to justify your existence?

We all have to live with ourselves. No matter who you are, this likely requires considerable mental gymnastics.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #10272
Edward64
Head Coach

This has dissolved into a pissing match. Not exactly political but can you guys take it to the Biden or Trump thread so we can keep this focused on Covid.

I for one would like to better understand the impact of Covid on pop tarts.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #10273
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Agreed with Edward. There's clearly legs to the whole "where do you draw the line with civility" thing (though it feels like we've had it several times before, with the same outcomes).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #10274
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Iran returns donated vaccines because they were made in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

Solecismic can you talk to these guys please?

ETA: Despite the snark of this post I do agree we need to be willing to talk to our fellow human beings more.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-22-2022 at 07:18 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:59 AM   #10275
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I did not know this about Measles...That's really pretty scary coupled with covid.

Measles and Immune Amnesia
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #10276
Edward64
Head Coach

Israel and preliminary results of 4th shot. Basically, 4th shot helps but not that much. Hopefully more to come from Fauci, CDC etc. to provide more context.

Will a 4th shot boost your protection against COVID-19? : Goats and Soda : NPR
Quote:
A preliminary study from Israel, published last Tuesday, suggests that for the general population, the answer is likely no. A fourth shot of the same vaccine — in this case Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna — offered very little extra protection against infection compared with only three shots.

"Not a third dose, not a fourth dose, not a fifth dose will do anything to stop infections [long term]," says Dr. Gili Regev-Yochay, an infectious disease specialist at Sheba Medical Center in Tel HaShomer, Israel, and lead author of the new study.

But that's not to say that an additional dose is pointless in all circumstances. For older people or those at high risk, an extra dose may be needed to help maintain protection against severe disease, Regev-Yochay says. "A fourth dose probably does have a role in protecting against severe disease. I've seen preliminary data looking into that question."
Quote:
The extra dose reduced the risk of an infection by only about 10% to 30%, Regev-Yochay and her team report. During the 30-day study period, about 20% of the people who received the extra shot became infected with the omicron variant of the coronavirus, compared with about 25% of the people who received only three shots. The extra dose also didn't appear to activate T cells, which are critical for clearing out a future infection.

Regev-Yochay and her colleagues conclude that the fourth dose restores some protection lost after the third shot but doesn't boost immunity beyond that.
I hope Pfizer & Moderna are analyzing why it doesn't seem to help as much and streamlining their processes so a "new vaccine" can be made in shorter time for the next mutant.

Quote:
Although scientists don't know exactly why the fourth dose didn't trigger a strong immune response, some believe the current vaccine might not be the best tool for fighting a variant as infectious as omicron.

The vaccines now being administered were designed to fight variants circulating in 2020, which are very different from omicron.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #10277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Flying for the first time since covid started. Lots of creative mask wearing in the airport.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #10278
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think the biggest issue is that the vaccines were made for OG COVID, not Omicron. The virus has changed a lot since then.

In NFL terms, that's like a defensive coach who is amazing at neutralizing 2020's offensive packages, but hasn't adapted to anything that's happened since then.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #10279
Thomkal
Head Coach

One of our local hospital's new cases of COVID count is down to 6, 5 unvaccinated, 0 with 2 shots, 1 with the booster. I hope this trend continues and there's not yet another variant on the ay
Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #10280
molson
General Manager

More at-home testing probably has an impact, but the official reported new case counts are down about 95% in the last month. Maybe Omicron was a blessing, and very quickly gave the population a lot of immunity without killing or hospitalizing many vaccinated people at all.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #10281
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For anyone in health care, Texas was the last state to pass the first of two CMS deadlines on 2/22. March 21st is the final deadline. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/h...n-timeline.pdf

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:04 PM   #10282
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Lots of creative mask wearing in the airport.

Petition to make this a new Olympic sport?
Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 PM   #10283
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Israel and preliminary results of 4th shot. Basically, 4th shot helps but not that much. Hopefully more to come from Fauci, CDC etc. to provide more context.

Will a 4th shot boost your protection against COVID-19? : Goats and Soda : NPR

I hope Pfizer & Moderna are analyzing why it doesn't seem to help as much and streamlining their processes so a "new vaccine" can be made in shorter time for the next mutant.

I've heard it's the 4th shot that is going to kill the population so....

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-23-2022 at 06:46 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:13 PM   #10284
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've heard it's the 4th shot that is going to kill the population so....

Each shot is just a new battery for the tracking device.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:05 AM   #10285
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
IMO, we are at the beginning of the new normal where masks are voluntary, acceptance of incremental deaths due to the virus etc. I do think the Biden admin is behind the curve here. Not going to ding them for being conservative now ... but they should lay the ground work for easing mask mandates in next month or two.

But all of this can come crumbling down again if there is a new variant that is deadlier.

Biden is ahead of (my) schedule from a couple week ago. Missus and I are planning to shop at Costco this weekend. I think I'll go in without a mask.

Yay for normalcy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...y-us-rcna17686
Quote:
Most Americans are safe going without a mask in indoor settings, including in schools, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

The highly anticipated change to the agency's mask guidance leans less heavily on the number of Covid-19 cases as a key measure, instead giving more weight to hospitalizations and local hospital capacity.
:
The recommendations apply to everyone, not just those who are vaccinated or have received a booster shot.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #10286
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I plan to keep masking at the grocery store, because people have other germs and aren't shy about spreading them.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:50 AM   #10287
Edward64
Head Coach

Costco was madness yesterday. Store employees wore mask and prob 50% customers wore masks. I didn't.

But we got the $1.50 hot dog special (and slice of pizza) and I wiped the table with the supplied clorox wipes.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #10288
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mask compliance has been pretty good here (Raleigh and Raleigh suburbs). But this weekend it was noticeably down. I don't think that people have been formally following the CDC, but I do think that the CDC coming out mask-optional sent a pretty strong signal that filtered down in a hurry.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM   #10289
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

The few mandates that isolated part of the country had are going away. And I am starting to see the anti-mask/vaccine crowd saying "Getting rid of the mandates are not enough! The government must pay for what it did!"

It reminds me of the post-vaccine/pre-Delta period when we all started taking off our masks, so the previous anti-mask crowd suddenly couldn't make a political statement by not masking. So some of them starting making yellow Stars of David that said anti-vax.

I don't think that it applies to most folks here, but there's a decent percentage of the anti-mask/anti-vax/anti-mandate crowd that has enjoyed this, as perverse as that sounds. And now that they have basically won, they can't even enjoy the victory because they are upset that their faux-outrage game is ending.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #10290
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They haven't even won, really. I guess they probably like to think they did, of course. But the virus is receding, like it did last summer. Nothing they did convinced anyone it was time to get rid of mandates or masks. If we were in the middle of delta again, there'd be all sorts of restrictions. I think as far as being tired of masking, that's pretty much everyone.

I will admit that I've started losing the mask when I'm not in crowded indoor places the last week or so. Part of that is the virus receding and part is because my MIL had hip replacement surgery last Monday so we were extra cautious leading up to the surgery.

Kentucky is just under 10% positivity rate, which a year ago would have been awful, but considering we were just pushing 30% a few weeks ago, it feels like we're near zero. I'm vaxxed and boosted. We don't do much socializing or partying, so we're limited on how much face-to-face time we have with strangers. I feel pretty comfortable without a mask right now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #10291
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

The few mandates that isolated part of the country had are going away. And I am starting to see the anti-mask/vaccine crowd saying "Getting rid of the mandates are not enough! The government must pay for what it did!"

It reminds me of the post-vaccine/pre-Delta period when we all started taking off our masks, so the previous anti-mask crowd suddenly couldn't make a political statement by not masking. So some of them starting making yellow Stars of David that said anti-vax.

I don't think that it applies to most folks here, but there's a decent percentage of the anti-mask/anti-vax/anti-mandate crowd that has enjoyed this, as perverse as that sounds. And now that they have basically won, they can't even enjoy the victory because they are upset that their faux-outrage game is ending.

I want to see the placard "The government must pay for taking measures to try and keep me, my family & friends healthy & alive"
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #10292
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What is the convoy going to protest when they reach Washington?

We want an end to mask mandates!

We did that last week.

uhhhh. CRT!!!!
Old 02-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #10293
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I drive Uber so I get to see all walks of mask life and listen to it constantly. It’s tedious. I don’t really care anymore about the passengers, I’d prefer they wear one but it is what it is. At this point I want to personally mask if it reduces the chances of catching some other super rhinovirus shit flu as well Covid. It’s amazing how people wanted to dunk on society so bad by not wearing masks but their attempted recourse is to take it out on service workers as if we make the rules. And no I don’t know when Uber is changing it’s masking rules, dunno why riders would expect me to know that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #10294
Edward64
Head Coach

Apparently kids 5-11 dosage levels is not yet optimized.

They were approved back in Oct/Nov before omicron really ramped up so guess that is understandable. I'm more focused on hospitalizations so 100% to 48% is still pretty decent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/28/pfiz...udy-finds.html
Quote:
Pfizer and BioNTech’s two-dose Covid vaccine provided very little protection for children aged 5 to 11 during the wave of omicron infection in New York, according to a study published Monday.

The New York State Department of Health found that the effectiveness of Pfizer’s vaccine against Covid infection plummeted from 68% to 12% for kids in that age group during the omicron surge from Dec. 13 through Jan 24. Protection against hospitalization dropped from 100% to 48% during the same period.

The study has not yet undergone peer review, the academic gold standard. Due to the public health urgency of the pandemic, scientists have been publishing the results of their studies before such review.

The team of public health officials who conducted the study said the dramatic drop in vaccine effectiveness among children 5 to 11 years old was likely due to the lower dosage they received.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:08 AM   #10295
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, they are currently testing a 3-dose regime.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #10296
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That checks out with my family. My 5-11 year old got it despite being vaxxed (mild symptoms). The three of us who live with him are all boosted, and none of us caught it from him.

At the time, I thought that a lower dose was kind of silly--seemed like it was just catering to the anti-vax crowd by trying to minimize harmless side effects. I wish they had just let people who wanted to protect their kids get the full dose and understood that would mean a couple more kids with slightly sorer arms for 12 hours.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:05 AM   #10297
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Another covid side-effect.

Quote:
“Men infected with the virus are three to six times as likely as others to develop erectile dysfunction, believed to be an indicator of so-called long Covid.”
Old 03-02-2022, 11:53 AM   #10298
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Another covid side-effect.

Buy stock in the makers of sildenafil....
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #10299
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My daughter is experiencing lightheadedness, dizziness and shortness of breath again. This happened a couple of times playing basketball within a couple months of getting over Covid at the end of 2019, and seemed to have gone away. But it came back (or something similar) the last two games of her career, sadly.

Now, we're not ruling out some sort of anxiety/panic attack because I could totally see that happening given the coincidence of it being the last 2 games of her career. The doctor is sending her to the same cardiologist she saw the first time around. We'll see what comes of it. But it's certainly possibly that it's some sort of reoccurrence of the long Covid symptoms she experienced the prior year, possibly sparked by some anxiety? Not sure. We can't tell if it's caused by anxiety, or the panic attack is what comes on in the moment she realizes something is off and she's seeing stars.

But what sucks is that she's sitting on the sidelines for softball right now until this gets cleared up. And of course, it's not like doctor appointments for specialists are easy to get. So it's possible she won't play much this season and end on an anti-climactic downer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:04 PM   #10300
miami_fan
Coordinator

It should come down to the parent's choice he said.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote