Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #10251
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

maybe JIMG should move to a hut in Tanzia somewhere. Then he may realize how rough life can be.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #10252
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
they're booing Obama during mccain's concession. You stay classy republicans.

For those of you who just became acquainted with presidential politics during this election cycle, if you get a chance, take a look at Walter Mondale's concession speech in 1984, Michael Dukakis' concession speech in 1988, George Herbert Waker Bush and Ross Perot's concession speeches in 1992, Bob Dole's concession speech in 1996, and notice the booing (with the losing candidate admonishing the crowd not to boo).

Kerry's concession speech didn't take place until the next day, before an invited crowd at Faneuil Hall, and Gore's concession speech in 2000 took place a month after the election in his Vice Presidential office, so there wasn't any booing.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-04-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #10253
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Jon, is that you booing on my TV?

"the darkest day in our nation's history" Get a grip, man.

Well, Gergen just got finished saying on CNN that the BBC asked people from 22 countries who they'd rather have as president...and all 22 picked Obama, at at least a 3-1 clip. Now, the question is - do most countries wish to get along with us, or do they wish to surpass/bury us? Do countries admire us, or are they resentful of us? Jon obviously thinks the latter on both counts. He may be right. He may not be...remains to be seen I guess. If he is, let's hope Obama is worthy of that challenge.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #10254
cmp
Pro Rookie

People like JiMGA are the reason I voted Democrat this election, something I haven't done in the past.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #10255
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
my guess is that he is black

While I don't necessarily agree with Jon, I really don't think it is fair to tag him as a racist.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #10256
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Guys, that's unworthy. For Jon's faults to me, I can't see him as a racist. Come on. Call him on what he does that's wrong, but let's not invent things.

His post reekkk of it.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10257
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
JiMGA, you are exaggerating beyond belief. You may not be happy with who got the presidency, but I'm willing to bet that your life will not nearly be so adversely affected by it as you seem to think.

Yeah Jon, It's not like Obama will be banning Cigarettes or anything, you'll be fine.

I am thinking (hoping) there is some TIC in his rant.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10258
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Hopefully the expectations aren't ridiculously out of line. Lots of things to work on so, hopefully people dont' expect everything to change overnight. (Or the flip side that he feels pressure to do everything overnight and does things too fast or haphazardly)

He'll have to be very careful in what he does. With so many problems in his lap and a second term to run for, he's got a real challenge in not going too far to the left, staying to his platform, and fixing the problems.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10259
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Can someone who paid attention over the past 100-odd pages of this thread give me a quick rundown on what exactly JiMGA despises so much about Obama?

Quote:
Guys, that's unworthy. For Jon's faults to me, I can't see him as a racist. Come on. Call him on what he does that's wrong, but let's not invent things.

eh, you may be right. frankly i wouldn't put it past him though from the persona he puts out here. perhaps i was too hasty...idk. but i think at this point the burden of proof is on the defendant.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10260
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Sorry Fozz, I also hate to see the Race card played when it's not warranted, but he followed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history, no pun particularly intended.

With:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
The lowest point we ever descended to, and perhaps the first time I've truly been ashamed to be an American.

So, basically, brought it upon himself.

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-04-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that would be the SOB who beat McCain - which makes him what...less than worthless?

At what point did you get the feeling that I thought McCain had any value beyond being only somewhat less clueless that Obama?

I believe the single most common sentiment for more than a year has consistently been that McCain isn't worth pissing on if he spontaneously combusted, or some variation thereof. I didn't give a damn for him when he sought the nomination, I didn't give a damn for him when he got it, and I damned sure don't give a damn for him now that he's presided over this debacle.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #10262
Tigercat
College Starter

As Obama builds his leads in Indiana and NC, looks like the only "battleground" McCain will win is Missouri, and still a lot of votes left to be count there.

Last edited by Tigercat : 11-04-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #10263
Galaxy
Coordinator

DT-your girl is back on.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #10264
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Considering his posts before this had nothing to do with race, but more like "a Liberal placater versus a Complete Liberal" (paraphrasing here).. I think people REALLY ought to give him the benefit of the doubt. And this is coming from soneone's who's butted heads with him 90 Billion times or so.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #10265
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
For those of you who just became acquainted with presidential politics during this election cycle, if you get a chance, take a look at Walter Mondale's concession speech in 1984, Michael Dukakis' concession speech in 1988, George Herbert Waker Bush and Ross Perot's concession speeches in 1992, Bob Dole's concession speech in 1996, and notice the booing (with the losing candidate admonishing the crowd not to boo).

Kerry's concession speech didn't take place until the next day, before an invited crowd at Faneuil Hall, and Gore's concession speech in 2000 took place a month after the election in his Vice Presidential office, so there wasn't any booing.

It has been all campaign and it is disgusting. Republicans don't like the large crowds and fervor that follow Obama, but they don't boo when he mentions McCain.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #10266
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
It has been all campaign and it is disgusting. Republicans don't like the large crowds and fervor that follow Obama, but they don't boo when he mentions McCain.

Are you serious?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #10267
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

At least disgruntled african-americans who'd rather bitch than stand up and do something won't be able to play the race card as considerably anymore.

Last edited by BillyMadison : 11-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #10268
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't let a few idiots ruin a great night, guys.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #10269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Groundhog -- I've been sitting on the "darkest day" line for weeks. That's truly the single most accurate description I can think of, the overwhelming summation of the entire situation that rolled through my mind on an hourly basis since the outcome became obvious... and I've been around FOFC long enough to know exactly how the phrase would be interpreted by some if I wasn't proactive in separating it from (the obvious) racial implication.

And it happened anyway, which come to think of it, was predictable too.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #10270
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
At least disgruntled african-americans who'd rather bitch than stand up and do something won't be able to play the race card as considerably anymore.

Wow.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #10271
Galaxy
Coordinator

The rest of the Western world must be pretty happy as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #10272
molson
General Manager

Congrats America for 219 years of peaceful transitions of power.

Obama has an opportunity, I certainly hope he can pull it off.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #10273
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Stem cell research looks like it'll pass in Michigan along with medical marijuana.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #10274
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Wow.

Yeah...I'm going to touch that with a 10-foot pole.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10275
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ayers Finally Speaks: I Barely Knew Obama, "They Made Me Into A Cartoon Character"
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10276
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Stem cell research looks like it'll pass in Michigan along with medical marijuana.

I'm moving to Michigan....Well, in theory.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10277
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Coleman and Franken are only separated by 41 votes at this point, out of 1.1 million counted.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10278
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison

Quote:
Wow.

+1, climb back into the woodwork you crawled out of...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #10279
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Are you serious?

Quite so. I watched both candidates speeches at their conventions and clips from several other speeches. I only heard boos on the McCain side. I think it is pathetic, disgusting and disrespectful. You should certainly cheer for the things you like, but there is no reason to boo at the other guy.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #10280
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Quote:

And you sir are exhibiting one of the downfalls of this occurrence, the increase of modern symbolic racism. While I will agree some black people may cite race when race isn't the issue, what you are implying just doesn't reflect reality.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #10281
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wow.

Ok, Jon I'll defend.

Him, not so much.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #10282
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I wouldn't use that exact quote but I think you have something of a point there, though I'd extend it to all rampant Bush-complainers. Time to prove to us how horrible Bush was and how the country's problems were the fault of the president, and that there were better options all along.

Last edited by molson : 11-04-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #10283
Galaxy
Coordinator

So, how pissed is Hillary?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #10284
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Groundhog -- I've been sitting on the "darkest day" line for weeks. That's truly the single most accurate description I can think of, the overwhelming summation of the entire situation that rolled through my mind on an hourly basis since the outcome became obvious... and I've been around FOFC long enough to know exactly how the phrase would be interpreted by some if I wasn't proactive in separating it from (the obvious) racial implication.

I think in the immediate rush to be the first one to post on anything that your attempt to separate it from the racial implication was overlooked by most.

that being said, since you have explained that, i retract my comment that was intend to be in humor.

although i stand by my claim that it's hyperbole
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #10285
lungs
Pro Rookie

JIMGA,

Just curious, do you plan on making any changes to your day to day life or will you be taking it as you go?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #10286
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Fair enough.

I still think you will look back at your post in 4 years time and wonder exactly what the big deal was.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #10287
Izulde
Head Coach

Although I voted for Obama largely as an anti-Palin vote, I'm absolutely fascinated by the election results.

Depending on how his presidency(ies?) go, I think he could very easily sustain the Reganesque levels of mystique he's acquired.

(Note: I'm wholly against the cult of personality surrounding him and it's one of the reasons why I was undecided until more and more came out revealing how psychotic Palin is.)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #10288
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
and perhaps the first time I've truly been ashamed to be an American.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #10289
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Quite so. I watched both candidates speeches at their conventions and clips from several other speeches. I only heard boos on the McCain side. I think it is pathetic, disgusting and disrespectful. You should certainly cheer for the things you like, but there is no reason to boo at the other guy.

Hopefully this will die down in a few days and we'll be past all this, but did you not see that video where Obama praises McCain, his supporters boo, and Obama says, "I don't want your boos, just your votes?"

You don't think there were boos at Kerry's concession? Or people calling the American people stupid and the president a monkey right here on FOFC? Ya, The Dems have always been REAL classy towards Bush, never booing him and only showing that office respect.

You won, show some class and get over this stuff.

Last edited by molson : 11-04-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #10290
Galaxy
Coordinator

People celebrating outside the White House.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #10291
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
So, how pissed is Hillary?

She'll probably be Senate majority leader sooner or later and have a very long career in the Senate if she chooses. I think if she's not happy with her consolation prize, she will be eventually.

But yeah, at this moment, probably quite pissed.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #10292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it is pathetic, disgusting and disrespectful. You should certainly cheer for the things you like, but there is no reason to boo at the other guy.

{scratches head} What part of "don't respect", "are disgusted by" and generally loathe doesn't get through to you here? Yes it's disrespectful, that's part of the (theoretically obvious) point.

I also think you're underestimating how much disapproval there is of McCain being far too soft on the enemy too often, an aspect that I thought came through consistently throughout the campaign stops (where the boos at the mention of Obama seemed pretty steady) but was pretty much ignored in any coverage I saw. In other words, those boos aren't just directed at Obama.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #10293
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Really? I watched dozens of Obama campaign speeches on C-Span over the course of the past several months, with Obama admonishing the crowd after booing McCain.

For you political neophytes, this was one of the tamest campaigns in American history. Go back and research what was said about Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln's wife, Ulysses S. Grant and Grover Cleveland. This campaign was pure fluff compared to that.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #10294
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:

I have been involved deeply in politics over 20 years. Somebody always boos. Sorry, but it is true, VV is correct.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #10295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
As Obama builds his leads in Indiana and NC, looks like the only "battleground" McCain will win is Missouri, and still a lot of votes left to be count there.

That's because Missouri can never get their crap together with regards to elections and counting votes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #10296
Kodos
Resident Alien

I feel sorry for Jon. He must live a very fearful, hate-filled existence.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #10297
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow - obama wants to hit the ground running, transition team meeting and new chief of staff tomorrow...wow
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #10298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fantom - I don't really think Canada would strike me as a particular improvement. But if there was still enough in my bank account to accomodate it & I could figure out somewhere else to be where the practical aspects of it (i.e. my just widowed mother-in-law unwilling to relocate,etc.) I'd be out of here tomorrow. Well actually I doubt I would have stuck around for the past couple of weeks but you get the idea.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #10299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
People celebrating outside the White House.

Heh...classy too.

"We're seeing this all over the country." Uh, while the popular vote is at 51%. You'd think this was the liberation of a [nationwide] POW camp.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #10300
sabotai
General Manager

Gay marriage bans. Florida, 62% yes, 89% reporting. Arizona 56% yes, 76% reporting. California 56% yes, 10% reporting.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote