Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #10101
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Jon and I have had this discussion before...many times.

Frankly, I don't think there's many on either side who would disagree with it.

It'd work out well for me, I can tell you that. I pay in to the system far more than I get back from the system, being in a "net-outflow" state.

I think if I had to choose between living in your world or Jon's I may move by you, high taxes and all. I would much rather have people at least trying to help other people than shoving their faux morality down my throat. Of course if there was a third choice...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #10102
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Plug the damn hole!...why didn't anyone else think of that?

Don't have any idea what you are talking about.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #10103
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah this is the cause of America's obesity problem. Go post another Rand Paul mass media article talking about all of his "empty promises". The thread is the Obama presidency, the epitome of empty promises.

Where do you stop denying treatment for risky behavior? Do smokers lose medical access? What about red meat lovers? People who have multiple sex partners?

If you try I'd bet you could deny medical care to almost everyone.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #10104
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Where do you stop denying treatment for risky behavior? Do smokers lose medical access? What about red meat lovers? People who have multiple sex partners?

If you try I'd bet you could deny medical care to almost everyone.

Where do you stop spending other people's money trying to solve all of the above problems?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #10105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
their faux morality down my throat

I'd prefer that it wasn't necessary to provide anyone else's morality, but given the complete absence of it in so many cases ...

Quote:
1. Stop subsidizing corn farmers (i.e. Fast food's drug dealers)
2. Stop paying for medical problems caused by obesity. Get diabetes from eating too much? Hit the fucking treadmill.
3. If government wants to run healthcare then establish a health savings account for every dependent family. It's amazing how much more healthy people can be when it is "their own money" and not another handout.
4. Stop shoving things like No Child Left Behind down elementary school's throats when in turn causes them to cut out recess and sports programs so teachers can teach to the math test. (i.e. teach kids nothing since they don't teach any critical thinking skills)...

But if your idea of what's important is to become the food police, consider the government running healthcare as a legitimate option worthy of even hypothetical conditions, and to end the only attempt at educational accountability in decades, please, move to DT Land. You wouldn't be welcome in Jonville, even be granted a temporary tourist visa to visit a distant relative would be questionable.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #10106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where do you stop spending other people's money trying to solve all of the above problems?

You didn't mention other people's money.

But my money goes to all sorts of people through insurance premiums, drug costs, etc.

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-15-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: to clarify a mistaken point.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #10107
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Don't have any idea what you are talking about.

That's ok. I just thought one overly simple solution to a complex problem deserved another
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #10108
rowech
Pro Starter

I grew up with an alcoholic dad...like many...I believe the government should prevent people from drinking.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #10109
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Yep...can't wait until government controls food distribution and what we can/can't eat.
I love the over-exaggeration. Some people want to swap out some pizza for fruit in the school lunch program and it turns into the government determining what you can have for dinner tonight.

Is this before or after the death camps open up?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #10110
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I love the over-exaggeration. Some people want to swap out some pizza for fruit in the school lunch program and it turns into the government determining what you can have for dinner tonight.

8 billion for that swap? Sure...
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #10111
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's funny that you feel this only takes place in a government run health care plan. Your insurance premiums pay for all those obese smokers. All those people who never step foot in a gym. Or those people who happen to lose the genetic lottery and came down with some sort of disorder under no fault of their own (unless being born is a choice?).

So the argument here seems to be having you pay for people in poor health through your insurance premiums, or through your taxes.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #10112
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So, for $8,000,000,000, I look forward to seeing a noticeable decline in the percentage of obese children in this country. Or is this another one of those good intentions thing?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #10113
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Do folks really think it's that far off? I have no problem with kids getting nutrion at school. Do you think that'll change what they eat at home? No...why? Because they lack parenting. More than likely they have overweight parents and they will model that behavior...or they will get their parents to pack their lunch...or whatever other workaround there will be.

Now what? 8 billion spent, probably some kids learned, but the vast majority continue doing what they're doing...playing video games and eating crap. So now the government takes the next step by taxing such foods...and guess what? The people continue doing it. Then they seek to take it off the market.

Does this all happen overnight like I might have made it seem? No but it's the way it would head...just like everything else, the government feels they have the power to do such things and sadly, a small amount of people feed this.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #10114
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's funny that you feel this only takes place in a government run health care plan. Your insurance premiums pay for all those obese smokers. All those people who never step foot in a gym. Or those people who happen to lose the genetic lottery and came down with some sort of disorder under no fault of their own (unless being born is a choice?).

So the argument here seems to be having you pay for people in poor health through your insurance premiums, or through your taxes.

No actually this isn't the point I am trying to make. I think $8,000,000,000 to change public school lunches in hopes that it will chnage choices being made at home is a waste of money and will accomplish zero. I don't feel there is really any positive of a giant bureaucracy trying to tackle any problem. I offered up some solutions in case someone asked me what I would do. I personally would do nothing. I could care less about obesity, I am sure those 500+ lb people feel like shit all of the time and that is probably miserable enough without trying to tax them to change their behavior.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #10115
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
8 billion for that swap? Sure...
And if it means our overall obesity problem declines in 10-15 years, it's worth every penny. The question is does this $8 billion end up saving us money in the long run in terms of avoidable medical issues that we cover for others through our premiums, or in our taxes for programs such as Medicare. If it does, it's a no-brainer.

Lot of people complaining about unhealthy people costing them money. So someone puts a plan in place to get these people on the right track early before their ways are set in stone, and everyone shits on it.

I personally think the biggest problem with obesity is education. It's staggering how many people still think fat makes you fat. Or avoids fruit because it has carbs. How many people actually know what their BMR is? Teach people that shit and I think you start seeing results.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #10116
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No actually this isn't the point I am trying to make. I think $8,000,000,000 to change public school lunches in hopes that it will chnage choices being made at home is a waste of money and will accomplish zero. I don't feel there is really any positive of a giant bureaucracy trying to tackle any problem. I offered up some solutions in case someone asked me what I would do. I personally would do nothing. I could care less about obesity, I am sure those 500+ lb people feel like shit all of the time and that is probably miserable enough without trying to tax them to change their behavior.
But you do care. A few posts up you talked about not paying for medical expenses caused by obesity. So make up your mind on where you stand here. You either don't give a shit about them or you do.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #10117
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But you do care. A few posts up you talked about not paying for medical expenses caused by obesity. So make up your mind on where you stand here. You either don't give a shit about them or you do.

Whatever. Try and twist my words all you want. We both know the $8,000,000,000 is not going to change shit. I am opposed to spending $8,000,000,000 on a project that is doomed to fail. Kids are not fat because of school lunch offerings they are fat because their parents are fat.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #10118
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whatever. Try and twist my words all you want. We both know the $8,000,000,000 is not going to change shit. I am opposed to spending $8,000,000,000 on a project that is doomed to fail. Kids are not fat because of school lunch offerings they are fat because their parents are fat.
Actually they are. Studies have shown that kids are almost twice as likely to be obese if they purchase school lunches versus bring a lunch from home. They drink more sugary beverages, eat less fruit/vegetables, and consumed more fatty meats.

I'm sure parents play a role in that, but the statistics don't lie.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #10119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no problem with kids getting nutrition at school. Do you think that'll change what they eat at home? No...why?

It isn't going to change what they eat at school either, it's just going to reduce the amount they eat. Kids will eat what kids will eat and no amount of money spent is going to suddenly make them stop liking pizza nor start liking tofu sprout casserole.

The current "OMG the kids are overweight" hysteria is one of the most absurd bits of bullshit in many years, making it the perfect cause for the fence post turtle's wife.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #10120
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd prefer that it wasn't necessary to provide anyone else's morality, but given the complete absence of it in so many cases ...

But if your idea of what's important is to become the food police, consider the government running healthcare as a legitimate option worthy of even hypothetical conditions, and to end the only attempt at educational accountability in decades, please, move to DT Land. You wouldn't be welcome in Jonville, even be granted a temporary tourist visa to visit a distant relative would be questionable.

I was offering up the solution because DT and company are big supporters of the government running health care so I gave them an option that would fit into their plan. As far as NCLB goes... this next generation will be landing a man on Mars with the "improvements" that have occured since the farce that is NCLB was passed. Nothing better than public schools teaching to a test and teaching even less critical thinking.

As to your tourist visa... I live in St. Louis so don't take this the wrong way but I don't think anyone is coming to middle Georgia or Missouri on vacations. So I am not all that worried about my visa being revoked.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #10121
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually they are. Studies have shown that kids are almost twice as likely to be obese if they purchase school lunches versus bring a lunch from home. They drink more sugary beverages, eat less fruit/vegetables, and consumed more fatty meats.

I'm sure parents play a role in that, but the statistics don't lie.

So why does it cost $8,000,000,000 to offer a healthy alternative? That's $150 a kid. Really?

A letter to each school cafeteria saying to please offer healthy foods = $40,000. (I am sure they may be able to get a discount here also)

What does the other $7,999,960,000 go towards?

Last edited by panerd : 07-15-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #10122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I live in St. Louis so don't take this the wrong way but I don't think anyone is coming to middle Georgia or Missouri on vacations. So I am not all that worried about my visa being revoked.

Hey, that's why I used visiting a relative
Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #10123
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think if I had to choose between living in your world or Jon's I may move by you, high taxes and all. I would much rather have people at least trying to help other people than shoving their faux morality down my throat. Of course if there was a third choice...

Hehe. We'd welcome you in our world. I'm all for fiscal responsibility - I just don't think that the way to get there is to cut all social programs to the bone. I'd much rather see it taken out of the defense budget, closing tax loopholes for corporations and the ultra-rich, and eliminating pork-barrel bullshit projects that senators bring home to their districts.

A few libertarians, or even a decent core of them to promote fiscal responsibility and keep things in line wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #10124
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do folks really think it's that far off? I have no problem with kids getting nutrion at school. Do you think that'll change what they eat at home? No...why? Because they lack parenting. More than likely they have overweight parents and they will model that behavior...or they will get their parents to pack their lunch...or whatever other workaround there will be.

This is a good example of giving a middle class solution to a poverty class problem.

I did urban lunch programs, fitness and education for years. The poor kids I worked with (Chinatown and Mission) lunch was by far their biggest meal of the day. hardly anyone had video games, most parent(s) worked 12 hours and they always had many generations to care for.

A major problem, what is inconceivable the middle class, is access to fresh, affordable food. There are no super markets. So it's fill up the food stamps with whatever you can get at the corner store.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #10125
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So why does it cost $8,000,000,000 to offer a healthy alternative? That's $150 a kid. Really?

A letter to each school cafeteria saying to please offer healthy foods = $40,000. (I am sure they may be able to get a discount here also)

I have no idea on the amount. Maybe it is way too much. I'm just arguing the fact that if kids are given healthier meals, they will be healthier individuals. They will crave healthier foods. I do know that in mass food production, healthier foods cost more. It's much cheaper to serve hot dogs on white buns than lean meats with fresh fruit.

Parents are a big problem, there is no denying that. I'm still shocked at how many parents let their kids drink soda regularly. When I grew up, we'd get it on rare occasions. When we went out to dinner, over holidays, or on a hot Summer day. We weren't able to just run in and pound a six-pack of Pepsi every day like some of these kids can.

Then again, while we had video games, it wasn't like today. Our days still consisted of being outside playing sports till sun fall.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-15-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #10126
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Hehe. We'd welcome you in our world. I'm all for fiscal responsibility - I just don't think that the way to get there is to cut all social programs to the bone. I'd much rather see it taken out of the defense budget, closing tax loopholes for corporations and the ultra-rich, and eliminating pork-barrel bullshit projects that senators bring home to their districts.

A few libertarians, or even a decent core of them to promote fiscal responsibility and keep things in line wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

No doubt. I would have no problem with any of those. Add to it take all of the money out of our offensive budget and let Isreal pull the puppet strings on Jon's country.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #10127
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't feel there is really any positive of a giant bureaucracy trying to tackle any problem.

Well D-day was pretty good...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #10128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no idea on the amount. Maybe it is way too much. I'm just arguing the fact that if kids are given healthier meals, they will be healthier individuals.

Not if they won't eat them, most of what you're accomplishing then is wasting food.

I've seen the "healthy choices" type menu in use, more than one version of it in fact. Not even high achieving kids of highly educated parents in a town chock full of both foodies & erstwhile hippie health nuts would touch the majority of it. And that's with it prepared by a local restaurant off-site, much less what would happen with a typical school cafeteria working on it.

This is nothing more than another liberal feel-good boondoggle throwing even more taxpayer dollars down the drain. And even the slightest bit of common sense & reality could avoid it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #10129
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Well D-day was pretty good...

Sure. Along with Iraq, Afganistan, Vietnam, Korea right? Or are we just patting ourselves on the back for our "big wins"?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10130
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sure. Along with Iraq, Afganistan, Vietnam, Korea right? Or are we just patting ourselves on the back for our "big wins"?

Opps forgot about those. You are right. (undoing the high five i gave myself)
i hope a giant fountain land on your head
Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #10131
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Ohh...Ooh...I know. Why don't we visit this one year from after this takes effect and you can tell me the amount that actually went to the distribution of real food (as oppose to "guidelines") versus the bureaucracy and paperwork in making this program look good.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #10132
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Just using better ingredients and less salt while still serving the same dishes would go a long way.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #10133
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not if they won't eat them, most of what you're accomplishing then is wasting food.

I've seen the "healthy choices" type menu in use, more than one version of it in fact. Not even high achieving kids of highly educated parents in a town chock full of both foodies & erstwhile hippie health nuts would touch the majority of it. And that's with it prepared by a local restaurant off-site, much less what would happen with a typical school cafeteria working on it.

This is nothing more than another liberal feel-good boondoggle throwing even more taxpayer dollars down the drain. And even the slightest bit of common sense & reality could avoid it.
What kind of food are we talking about here? I haven't seen a menu but I can't imagine them going too crazy. I'm for swapping out white bread for whole wheat. Fresh fruit instead of gummy worms. Chicken breasts instead of hot dogs.

And this isn't a liberal feel-good boondoggle. It's supposed to cut costs down the road by having less kids with obesity related problems entering adulthood. The thing that half this thread has been bitching about paying for. Although I know statistics and science are the work of the devil.

And if the kids don't eat it, fine. They can go hungry. This notion that kids will only eat meals that are fried or covered in frosting is absurd.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #10134
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What kind of food are we talking about here? I haven't seen a menu but I can't imagine them going too crazy. I'm for swapping out white bread for whole wheat. Fresh fruit instead of gummy worms. Chicken breasts instead of hot dogs.

And this isn't a liberal feel-good boondoggle. It's supposed to cut costs down the road by having less kids with obesity related problems entering adulthood. The thing that half this thread has been bitching about paying for. Although I know statistics and science are the work of the devil.

And if the kids don't eat it, fine. They can go hungry. This notion that kids will only eat meals that are fried or covered in frosting is absurd.

I think myself, Buccaneer, rowech, JIMga (and others but these had the most posts) have all said it isn't going to do $8,000,000,000 worth of good while you have. That seems to be the major difference. We want to know what could possibly cost $8,000,000,000? Like JPhillips said better ingredients and less salt. I agree that would be great but that isn't going to cost $160,000 a school is it?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #10135
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Salaries, benefits, pensions, office space, consultants, fees for experts, printing costs, office supplies, travel costs, conferences, IT infrastructure, on-site and off-site training, vehicles, etc. Not to mention that next year's budget, which is not zero-based.

That's where most of your tax dollars go to and you wonder, for big programs or small ones, why so few benefits comparatively happen for so much costs.

But some elected official or politician can claim progress or "doing something", as well as any of these programs used as ammunition for opposition politics, allowing the bureaucracy, belt-way mentality and deficits to grow.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #10136
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And just to be clear about what's actually in the bill:
Quote:
The legislation requests an additional $8 billion in funding over the next 10 years to augment existing child nutrition programs and mandates that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) adopt strict nutritional standards for so-called competitive foods, like those found in school vending machines.

I'm pretty sure the Senate has also passed a version, but for about half the total of the House bill.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10137
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think myself, Buccaneer, rowech, JIMga (and others but these had the most posts) have all said it isn't going to do $8,000,000,000 worth of good while you have. That seems to be the major difference. We want to know what could possibly cost $8,000,000,000? Like JPhillips said better ingredients and less salt. I agree that would be great but that isn't going to cost $160,000 a school is it?
I'm just wondering your reason behind that. Studies have shown that kids who eat school lunches (which are unhealthier than home lunches), are much more obese and have much more health problems down the road that burden our health system.

If there are studies showing that healthier lunches has no positive impact, then I'm on your side. I don't want to waste money either.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #10138
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm just wondering your reason behind that. Studies have shown that kids who eat school lunches (which are unhealthier than home lunches), are much more obese and have much more health problems down the road that burden our health system.

If there are studies showing that healthier lunches has no positive impact, then I'm on your side. I don't want to waste money either.

Buccaneer's answer is much better than anything I can come up with. I have witnessed bureaucracy at both my job and the federal level for so long that I know where a lot of this $8,000,000,000 is headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Salaries, benefits, pensions, office space, consultants, fees for experts, printing costs, office supplies, travel costs, conferences, IT infrastructure, on-site and off-site training, vehicles, etc. Not to mention that next year's budget, which is not zero-based.

That's where most of your tax dollars go to and you wonder, for big programs or small ones, why so few benefits comparatively happen for so much costs.

But some elected official or politician can claim progress or "doing something", as well as any of these programs used as ammunition for opposition politics, allowing the bureaucracy, belt-way mentality and deficits to grow.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #10139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fresh fruit instead of gummy worms.

Please show me the school lunch that's handing out gummy worms.

Quote:
Chicken breasts instead of hot dogs.

You speak as though this hasn't happened already.

Here's a link to the Jasper County (GA) Primary School menu. Lots of free/reduced lunch students, below average system in the worst educational state in the union. Nothing high brow about it in the least, that's for damned sure.

I'm going to take a sample from March, a time when there isn't a holiday or field day or something to throw them out of a normal routine. 24 days of lunches, 2 of which are sandwich/sack lunch due to early release.

Dessert included 1x brownie, 2x blueberry cobbler (w/fruit option), and 20x of fruit. Some of that is likely fresh fruit, some probably heavy syrup canned (I'd suspect the peaches being that way) but not a gummy worm in sight.

I see steamed carrots, broccoli, some beans, some potatoes. I see beef, I see chicken (both fried & not), a good bit of turkey, a pretty rounded selection of meat frankly.

Now the breakfast menu, that's pretty rough I'd agree. Between the pop tarts & the honey buns (excuse me, enriched breakfast bun), it's low even on my version of the healthy-meter. But let's also be realistic about their options, the breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day theory says eat something above all else. The options of what can be consumed quickly are a little limited (most of the time these students have less than 10 minutes to get off the bus, get to the lunchroom, eat, and get to class. Other cases I'm familiar with have even less time than that). You could go bananas & fruit & yogurt I suppose but the biggest accomplishment with that is going to be sharply cutting back on the number of kids who eat breakfast at all.

I'm not a fan of

Quote:

Know many kids? I've got the oddball kid of the bunch I've met across three different private schools, he'll actually eat pizza that has something more than cheese on it. Sushi, broccoli, keeps fruit around for snacks by choice, etc (although he likes his Lay's chips just fine too). Now take some of his classmates somewhere & try to feed 'em, like I've done. I described the environment around here, we're the poor country folks by comparison. But 80% of these kids are your standard mac n' cheese, plain hamburger, cheese pizza, chicken nugget kids. And you want to seriously suggest that the average public school student in a 40% free lunch school is going to be more open to foods not typically found on a kid's menu at Applebee's? You're either out of your mind or completely out of touch with the majority of kids.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-15-2010 at 09:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #10140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Of course they weigh less, they often aren't eating lunch at all. Bringing it <> eating it. Go sit in a school lunchroom & watch sometime, like I have for years.
Over half of what comes to school ends up in the trash, along with a good bit of what's on the lunchroom tray.

Is that what we really want to create with federal funding, kids who don't eat?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #10141
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

And just to be clear about what's actually in the bill:

Quote:
But it also asks for an additional half a cent per lunch to fund nutrition education, which might include student taste tests or redesigning a cafeteria to encourage students to make healthier choices. It also provides start-up grants for school breakfast programs and year-round meal service in some states. The committee’s markup of the bill also introduced some new programs as amendments. For example, one amendment would establish a pilot program that would help selected schools to increase the quantity of organic food provided by the school lunch program. Another would create a pilot program to assist the USDA in identifying “cost-effective, marketable, easy-to-use” vegan foods for its commodities program, which provides free food to schools. Yet another amendment would expand after-school meal programs, create incentives for socially disadvantaged farmers who want to supply food to schools and require that schools receiving “green cafeteria” grants ban Styrofoam.

But the key difference between the Senate and House versions is that the Senate has identified funding for its $4.5 billion bill. The House, in contrast, has found just $1 billion of the $8 billion it would like to see spent.

Vegan options for children! We'll find some way to pay for it!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all...s-child-n.html

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #10142
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
So, it's actually 800 million/year, which breaks down to $16,000/school. So divide that by say, 1000 kids a school which is a nice average and say half of them eat school lunch every day. So, that's 320 bucks a kid over an average school length of 180 days, so that's less than 2 bucks a day. Obviously, this will lead to a complete and total financial collapse. We should cut taxes for the rich again instead.

LOL. I thought the guy on the commericial could feed a kid in Africa 3 meals a day for $0.82 a day. Now the US government needs $2 more on top of whatever number is in the budget already (my guess is at least $2-$3) to feed an American one meal?

There's no overhead? Really? I can't see you through my computer but this post was not made with a straight face was it?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #10143
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
So, it's actually 800 million/year, which breaks down to $16,000/school. So divide that by say, 1000 kids a school which is a nice average and say half of them eat school lunch every day. So, that's 320 bucks a kid over an average school length of 180 days, so that's less than 2 bucks a day. Obviously, this will lead to a complete and total financial collapse. We should cut taxes for the rich again instead.

where do you get that 1000 kids per school average?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #10144
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL. I thought the guy on the commericial could feed a kid in Africa 3 meals a day for $0.82 a day. Now the US government needs $2 more on top of whatever number is in the budget already (my guess is at least $2-$3) to feed an American one meal?

There's no overhead? Really? I can't see you through my computer but this post was not made with a straight face was it?
Africa is the model of libertarianism, isn't it? I mean not many rules and regulations and surely no beaucratic tie-ups and wasteful spending. Free markets do dominate.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #10145
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure if he's counting individual schools, or townships?

Public elementary schools, by grade span, average school size, and state or jurisdiction: 2001-02

Just eyeballing this it would be half that.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #10146
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
where do you get that 1000 kids per school average?

His numbers aren't that bad. The school average size is probably a little off but if you figure 1/3 of the school age kids will get assitance it would be around $300 a kid.

My point is that this is extra money needed on top of whatever ungodly amount we are spending already. So it is $2 MORE a day to feed healthy alternates.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #10147
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Africa is the model of libertarianism, isn't it? I mean not many rules and regulations and surely no beaucratic tie-ups and wasteful spending. Free markets do dominate.

Is this one of them ad hominem attacks I heard so much about under Bush? Or is that actually a reply to his point?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #10148
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course they weigh less, they often aren't eating lunch at all. Bringing it <> eating it. Go sit in a school lunchroom & watch sometime, like I have for years.
Over half of what comes to school ends up in the trash, along with a good bit of what's on the lunchroom tray.

Is that what we really want to create with federal funding, kids who don't eat?
So somehow we have had multiple generations of children develop into adults yet not having access to fried foods and sugary treats? I'm astounded that we didn't have mass starvation back in the 1800's from kids not being able to have Chicken McNuggets.

Is your argument really that the kids who are given healthy lunches are just choosing to never eat?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #10149
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Let's try and be reasonable here. I am saying you can stop a kid from starving for about $0.20. We are probably spending $5-6 already. Now they want to spend $2 more? They could get a decent restaurant to cater every school in the country for this price. $0.20... $8 There has to be a happy medium. You know the food cost is at best 50% of the budget.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #10150
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Is this one of them ad hominem attacks I heard so much about under Bush? Or is that actually a reply to his point?
I guess. He constantly points out how government is bad and all it creates is wasteful bueracracies. It's worth noting that the countries that have the smallest government control are those in Africa and other parts of the 3rd world. Is that what we are aiming for?

I'm fine with smaller government in many areas, but I'm just waiting for these examples of countries that have extremely small governments that are succesful.