Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #10051
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think he's saying his dad is forthright, but he isn't.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #10052
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Sounds to me like he's using the word in proper context, am I missing something?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #10053
lungs
Pro Rookie

Looks like W is coming out with a book around election time. Should be interesting. As loathed as W was, my pansy ass liberal self didn't hate W as much as a few of his advisors I felt actually ran his policy.

This book might be one I have to pick up.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #10054
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Sounds to me like he's using the word in proper context, am I missing something?

just saying - if his dad is more "without evasion" does that mean that he is "with evasion?"
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #10055
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think what he means is that he and his father both have the same end goals but he's more willing to take a more pragmatic step-by-step approach rather his father's 'Lets change the whole system' rhetoric.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #10056
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I'm sure you're right.

I'm just picking on the guy.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #10057
tarcone
Coordinator

Im happy Michele Obama is tackling childhood obesity. This is an important issue.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #10058
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im happy Michele Obama is tackling childhood obesity. This is an important issue.

At least she's not starting a war on drugs.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #10059
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yep...can't wait until government controls food distribution and what we can/can't eat.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #10060
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Yep...can't wait until government controls food distribution and what we can/can't eat.

It's already begun in New York City.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #10061
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

you're kidding right??
Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #10062
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Looks like W is coming out with a book around election time. Should be interesting. As loathed as W was, my pansy ass liberal self didn't hate W as much as a few of his advisors I felt actually ran his policy.

Same. I have a feeling he would have been a whole different politician if the decendents of Nixon's political tree weren't glued to him since the moment he ran for office. (Although that is not to say he would have been any more or less effective.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #10063
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
you're kidding right??

Not really. It's starting...taxes for this, taxes for that. Always starts slowly and in the name of something else.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #10064
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Not really. It's starting...taxes for this, taxes for that. Always starts slowly and in the name of something else.

There have been just as many wrongs committed and wrongs ignored under paranoia as under ambition.

Last edited by Tigercat : 07-15-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #10065
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

lmao

if the states want to impose taxes on people for eating unhealthily, I'm all for it. And I say that as a person who is overweight. Hit me in the pocketbook - that'd motivate me to lose some of this weight for sure!!

Now I don't think they should be putting a tax on say - salt at the supermarket, or heavy cream at the supermarket, or affecting the way that people who cook for themselves eat, but if they want to put in say a "fast food tax" or a "junk food tax" or something?? Go for it.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-15-2010 at 02:34 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #10066
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The financial reform bill passed the Senate, and is heading to the White House for Obama's signature.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #10067
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wouldn't more healthy people decrease gov't spending?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #10068
rowech
Pro Starter

It never ceases to amaze me what people think the government should have the power to do.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #10069
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me what people think the government should have the power to do.

Like give handicap parking to obese people?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #10070
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Um dude...newsflash: they already have the power to tax.

And really...for all the bitching that fat people do, they'd be a lot better off (and so would all the skinny people) if they all lost some weight (again, so says the guy who could stand to lose 50lbs). If it takes hitting them in the pocketbook to get them to do that...it's a power the government already has, so why not.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #10071
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The financial reform bill passed the Senate, and is heading to the White House for Obama's signature.

And the GOP has already com out saying they'll try to repeal it next year.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #10072
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

GOP - "A vote for us is a vote for people who profited off subprime mortgages and the collapse of your home values!"
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #10073
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Of course they do realize that they would need the President's signature on it, right?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #10074
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Of course they do realize that they would need the President's signature on it, right?

they'll have impeached him for being "one of them muslim terrrists" by then :P
Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #10075
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

But seriously, if someone told me that 19 months ago, Obama would have passed a major healthcare expansion, and a financial regulation bill to contain the worst impulses of the financial industry that led us into a near-depression that we're just getting out of now, I'd say that's a damn good start. Anyone who expected more is completely fooling themselves as to the nature of the Washington beast.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #10076
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Joe Biden, stealth conservative
Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #10077
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

besides, it makes them a good soundbite that means absolutely nothing. IF they get control of the House and Senate, they can point to Democrat "obstructionism" as the reason they didn't make it, and it gets the rabid base out to vote, no matter how completely unrealistic is.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #10078
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Wouldn't that depend on if the GOP can get the 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #10079
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
But seriously, if someone told me that 19 months ago, Obama would have passed a major healthcare expansion, and a financial regulation bill to contain the worst impulses of the financial industry that led us into a near-depression that we're just getting out of now, I'd say that's a damn good start. Anyone who expected more is completely fooling themselves as to the nature of the Washington beast.

Now if only Obama could pass a GOOD healthcare bill he might be on to something.

I have no idea what's in the financial regulation bill, so I can only hope that my congressman actually read the bill.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #10080
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Wouldn't that depend on if the GOP can get the 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate?

They can't be that delusion to think that will happen.

And is that even possible considering the makeup of the Senate?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #10081
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I read Silver's site on a daily basis. He's very smug at times and as Zogby notes, it will catch up to him.

Sometimes, you just have to be smug.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: ARG, My Brain Hurts!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #10082
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Using this method I'd be willing to concede MBBF makes the most accurate predictions at FOFC.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #10083
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yep, but people like DaddyTorgo want the state to have the power to solve all the country's (world's) ills. What's another $8,000,000,000? That's "only" about another $25 for every fucking person in this country to have zero effect on peoples' shitty parenting. Or in other words "Money well spent!". It's only when the state wants to infringe on them (gay marriage, endless war in the middle east, abortion rights) that they realize the monster government basically now does whatever the hell it wants in the name of the common good. Of course I am sure the $8 billion (with a "B") won't come out of our pockets but only the evil rich. Think otherwise? You must be a wacko who wants to live in the crazy 1800's and you don't appreciate roads.

Taxpayers could spend $8 billion to make school lunches healthier | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #10084
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Personal responsibility? Fuck naw, the government can handle it!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #10085
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yep, but people like DaddyTorgo want the state to have the power to solve all the country's (world's) ills. What's another $8,000,000,000? That's "only" about another $25 for every fucking person in this country to have zero effect on peoples' shitty parenting. Or in other words "Money well spent!". It's only when the state wants to infringe on them (gay marriage, endless war in the middle east, abortion rights) that they realize the monster government basically now does whatever the hell it wants in the name of the common good. Of course I am sure the $8 billion (with a "B") won't come out of our pockets but only the evil rich. Think otherwise? You must be a wacko who wants to live in the crazy 1800's and you don't appreciate roads.

Taxpayers could spend $8 billion to make school lunches healthier | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO

Sorry - let's have overweight kids who develop expensive health problems early in life and who (if they're on school lunch programs) are likely going to end up either living taxpayer subsidized lives (thru welfare or thru taxpayer subidized healthcare). Or is the notion that $8bn in costs now could save us $20bn in costs later completely incomprehensible to you??

NB: $8bn sounds like a hell of a lot for school lunch improvements, even to me.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #10086
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

By the way what exactly would panerd do about child obesity? End the government?

1. Stop subsidizing corn farmers (i.e. Fast food's drug dealers)
2. Stop paying for medical problems caused by obesity. Get diabetes from eating too much? Hit the fucking treadmill.
3. If government wants to run healthcare then establish a health savings account for every dependent family. It's amazing how much more healthy people can be when it is "their own money" and not another handout.
4. Stop shoving things like No Child Left Behind down elementary school's throats when in turn causes them to cut out recess and sports programs so teachers can teach to the math test. (i.e. teach kids nothing since they don't teach any critical thinking skills)...

Last edited by panerd : 07-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #10087
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

NB: $8bn sounds like a hell of a lot for school lunch improvements, even to me.

No shit. If all of these utopian ideas were not so fucking expensive I might be on board for some of them. Sorry but the $8,000,000,000 lunch program will not save $20,000,000,000. In fact in probably won't save $0.01. It will create more buracracy and committees.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #10088
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By the way what exactly would panerd do about child obesity? End the government?

2. Stop paying for medical problems caused by obesity. Get diabetes from eating too much? Hit the fucking treadmill.
3. If government wants to run healthcare then establish a health savings account for every dependent family. It's amazing how much more healthy people can be when it is "their own money" and not another handout.
4. Stop shoving things like No Child Left Behind down elementary school's throats when in turn causes them to cut out recess and sports programs so teachers can teach to the math test. (i.e. teach kids nothing since they don't teach any critical thinking skills)...

Unfortunately hitting the treadmill won't cure diabetes.

I agree about the corn farmsers though. And as far as #3, as long as you're advocating that the HSA be privitized and invested in the stock market or some republican-BS then I agree with you that's fine too. Agree with you on #4 too.

Shocking - see...we can agree on stuff.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #10089
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's a strong part of me that wishes there would just be an agreement right now...US split up into the two camps and you choose which side you want to be on. Once you're on it, you aren't coming back. Area of the country can be distributed out based upon population in each camp.

Instead the voters are convinced the Republicans will come save them this fall and in 2012 when it will instead be more same bullshit like this from the other side. (more religion!, more war!, more government funded parenting!)

Last edited by panerd : 07-15-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #10090
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a strong part of me that wishes there would just be an agreement right now...US split up into the two camps and you choose which side you want to be on. Once you're on it, you aren't coming back. Area of the country can be distributed out based upon population in each camp.

Jon and I have had this discussion before...many times.

Frankly, I don't think there's many on either side who would disagree with it.

It'd work out well for me, I can tell you that. I pay in to the system far more than I get back from the system, being in a "net-outflow" state.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #10091
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately hitting the treadmill won't cure diabetes.

I agree about the corn farmsers though. And as far as #3, as long as you're advocating that the HSA be privitized and invested in the stock market or some republican-BS then I agree with you that's fine too. Agree with you on #4 too.

Shocking - see...we can agree on stuff.

Type 2 diabetes in fat people is almost always caused by lifestyle. I didn't say all diabetes, I said health problems caused by being obese.

Last edited by panerd : 07-15-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #10092
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Type 2 diabetes in fat people is almost always caused by lifestyle. I didn't say all diabetes, I said health problems caused by being obese.

But once you have it you can't get rid of it by losing weight is my point.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #10093
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But once you have it you can't get rid of it by losing weight is my point.

Well fuck em. They shouldn't have gotten fat.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #10094
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And people who get injured while exercising? Fuck them too. They shouldn't have been trying to get skinny.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #10095
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

ANd motorcycle injuries. Fuck them, they should have stayed home.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #10096
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Plug the damn hole!...why didn't anyone else think of that?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #10097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Instead the voters are convinced the Republicans will come save them this fall and in 2012 when it will instead be more same bullshit like this from the other side. (more religion!, more war!, more government funded parenting!)

Although you've poorly paraphrased it, that's why a large portion of us are voting for them in the first place, so it's got that going for it.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #10098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
GOP - "A vote for us is a vote for people who profited off subprime mortgages and the collapse of your home values!"

I think a good bit more of those folks than the deadbeats who took the mortgages, so again, it's got that going for it.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #10099
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

LOL
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #10100
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And people who get injured while exercising? Fuck them too. They shouldn't have been trying to get skinny.

Yeah this is the cause of America's obesity problem. Go post another Rand Paul mass media article talking about all of his "empty promises". The thread is the Obama presidency, the epitome of empty promises.

Last edited by panerd : 07-15-2010 at 06:02 PM.