Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2023, 10:40 PM   #951
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
One of the best in the league in fact and as usual the Titans got not much in return ( a late 5th and a late 6th rounder)

When will they send Henry to the Eagles for a couple late rounders?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:18 AM   #952
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Can the NFL survive the inevitable break up?

i seriously miss howard cosell. Broadcast have taken a severe dump since he left us. We need a summoning
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:14 AM   #953
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
We're just going to change the name to Kansas City Swifts, right?
To put things into perspective, the main news source in the Netherlands has spent a whopping 5 articles on the NFL this season: first one on Aaron Rodgers' injury, second one on Kaepernick wanting to join the Jets, then two separate ones about the Dutchmen Thomas Odukoya and Corliss Waitman and the fifth article was a proclaiming Taylor Swift all by herself has added 2 million female fans to watch tv during the game between the Chiefs and Jets.

In Flanders (the dutch-speaking part of Belgium) the main news source hasn't put Swift in their sports section yet. The only news article on the NFL (after the sale of the Washington franchise during the off-season) was about Aaron Rodgers' injury.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 10-28-2023 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added the perspective from Flanders ;-)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:02 PM   #954
bronconick
College Starter

If Denver is ever going to break their 16 game losing streak to Kansas City, tomorrow might be a good chance.

Quote:
According to the National Weather Service, there is a Winter Storm Warning in effect until noon MDT Sunday. Heavy snow is expected, especially later this afternoon and tonight. Total snow accumulations between 6 and 14 inches are expected1.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #955
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
If Denver is ever going to break their 16 game losing streak to Kansas City, tomorrow might be a good chance.

Yes in this wacky season, this may be Denver's first chance to finally beat Mahomes.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #956
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The had a decent chance of beating them the 1st time. Defensively, they did enough to win.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:21 AM   #957
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I want to will this to happen.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #958
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, that was a bizarre sequence. 4th and half a yard, the Colts try to draw them off side and take a delay of game penalty for a slightly longer FG, the Saints commit a penalty on the FG attempt, and the Colts then go for it on 4th and inches again and score a TD.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:23 PM   #959
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And Mahomes apparently has the Flu, so the Broncos may really have a chance. (ha!)
Old 10-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #960
Ksyrup

I see Will Levis is off to a hot start against the Falcons. 10/14, 113 yards, 2 TDs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-29-2023, 01:18 PM   #961
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I see Will Levis is off to a hot start against the Falcons. 10/14, 113 yards, 2 TDs.
I saw all these Falcons fans online predicting how many picks we were going to get on Levis, and I just knew they were guaranteeing he was going to play like the second coming of Tom Brady.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:20 PM   #962
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dolphins OL injuries are brutal. They are now playing without a single starter.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #963
GrantDawg

They just benched Ridder for being a piece of sh....."concussion protocol."
Old 10-29-2023, 02:44 PM   #964
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pop goes the achilles

Captain Kirk's that is

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-29-2023 at 02:45 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:48 PM   #965
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Giants have -8 yards passing and they'll probably beat the Jets.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-29-2023 at 02:48 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #966
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Carolina wins; Lions and Browns can pop the champagne, or sedatives as the case may be. Both at the same time?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #967
bhlloy
Coordinator

Zach Wilson is still not good at pocket presencing
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #968
bronconick
College Starter

Fake Tush Push! Hurts turns and hands it to Swift who runs around the edge for a TD
Old 10-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #969
cuervo72
Head Coach

Which, statistically, was the wrong move.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:16 PM   #970
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can both New York teams lose? What an awful display of football.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #971
GrantDawg

Horrible wide open drop ended the game for the Falcons, But Heinke had a great second half. If he is not QB1 going into next week, I think Smith might get shived.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #972
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The NFL should allow for sudden-death overtime rouges in cases like this. Feels a bit cruel to let this one play out.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #973
bronconick
College Starter

Cousins with an achilles injury
Old 10-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #974
Ksyrup

I swear I've never heard of Jaren Hall. BYU? I feel like that's a team whose QB I would at least have heard.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:28 PM   #975
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not seeing any snow in Denver
Old 10-29-2023, 06:18 PM   #976
Ksyrup

Quote:
The had a decent chance of beating them the 1st time. Defensively, they did enough to win.

I told you people. 2 games, 1 offensive TD for KC against the team that gave up 70 to Miami. Makes sense!
Old 10-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #977
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I told you people. 2 games, 1 offensive TD for KC against the team that gave up 70 to Miami. Makes sense!

It's kinda remarkable to see how broken KC can look at times.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:47 PM   #978
Atocep
Coordinator

A couple of weeks ago I told a friend of mind that Velus Jones has to lead the NFL in stupid decisions per touch. This week he makes a stupid decision without touching the ball. He's getting more efficient.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:29 PM   #979
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And then he proceeds to fall over on a wide open TD bomb, STILL have a chance at it from his ass, and still blows it. So does that count as two fuckups on a single touch?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #980
GrantDawg

With Cousins probably done for the year, do the Vikings consider trading for Murray?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2023, 09:45 PM   #981
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

SanFran is falling apart? What happened to them that even the Bungels beat them?
Old 10-29-2023, 09:46 PM   #982
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
With Cousins probably done for the year, do the Vikings consider trading for Murray?

I think I jinxed him
Old 10-29-2023, 10:15 PM   #983
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
SanFran is falling apart? What happened to them that even the Bungels beat them?

A system that relies on complimentary football based on such a good defense that the team can withstand errors from a young QB going through growing pains that every new QB goes through isn't working because the defense isn't playing so good and, as a result, can't withstand a young QB going through growing pains.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:20 PM   #984
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
A system that relies on complimentary football based on such a good defense that the team can withstand errors from a young QB going through growing pains that every new QB goes through isn't working because the defense isn't playing so good and, as a result, can't withstand a young QB going through growing pains.

i had to read that runon sentence 5 times but now I get what you're saying
Old 10-29-2023, 10:50 PM   #985
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Ridder's been better than I thought he would be this year. He's led some late drives. The Falcons probably just wanted to play it safe down a lot even with the concussion protocol passed.

It's been an odd quarterback year. At the top, you've got Mahomes. And it looks like Lamar Jackson is at an MVP level, too. Goff and Hurts are leading the NFC.

Burrow's finally looking like Burrow again. Russell Wilson has bounced back quite a bit. I wonder how good Pittsburgh and Cleveland would be if they had even average quarterback play. The Jets, as well. For all the positive press this year, Zach Wilson is still awful.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:00 AM   #986
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Ridder's been better than I thought he would be this year.

Says a lot about the low bar of expectations.

I know -- inexplicably afaic -- quite a few diehard Falcon fans.

To a person they never want to see Ridder play another snap after Sunday, and the most popular remark was "if he does start again, Smith can go too"
Old 10-30-2023, 02:25 AM   #987
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

What that demonstrates to me is the fact that most sports fans don't know what they are talking about. It all depends on the alternative. What has Heinecke ever done that convinces anyone he's a long-term solution? He has a decent track record and is a quality backup, but I don't see anything that tells me he's going to lead Atlanta anywhere worth going. The main difference statistically between Ridder and Heinecke is that Ridder is still young and could improve. That's a lot less likely for Heinecke. I'd be playing Ridder the rest of the year and, if he didn't show signs of improvement, then I'd be looking at what needed to happen in order to get the best possible new QB, probably in the draft.

Edit: even before the Denver game, I don't think Mahomes is at the top on anything other than past reputation. I think obviously having unimpressive receivers hurts him, but from a numbers standpoint he's been ... not great. Much more maligned QBs are outperforming him, and at some point that needs to be recognized.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-30-2023 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:46 AM   #988
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What that demonstrates to me is the fact that most sports fans don't know what they are talking about.

Team is tied for first in a winnable division. When you win as infrequently as the Fowlcants do, that carries some weight with the fan base.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #989
GrantDawg

Quote:
What that demonstrates to me is the fact that most sports fans don't know what they are talking about. It all depends on the alternative. What has Heinecke ever done that convinces anyone he's a long-term solution? He has a decent track record and is a quality backup, but I don't see anything that tells me he's going to lead Atlanta anywhere worth going. The main difference statistically between Ridder and Heinecke is that Ridder is still young and could improve. That's a lot less likely for Heinecke. I'd be playing Ridder the rest of the year and, if he didn't show signs of improvement, then I'd be looking at what needed to happen in order to get the best possible new QB, probably in the draft.

Edit: even before the Denver game, I don't think Mahomes is at the top on anything other than past reputation. I think obviously having unimpressive receivers hurts him, but from a numbers standpoint he's been ... not great. Much more maligned QBs are outperforming him, and at some point that needs to be recognized.
No believes either Quarterback is the long-term answer. Fans feel like Ridder has shown he is too turnover prone. He has the highest turnover rate in the league, and he is lucky he doesn't have more than he does. Where Heinecke is who is, but most feel like he is better right now for a team with playoff hopes and maybe better than Ridder ever will be. The fan base in general was never sold on Ridder, so he was not going to get much grace with them. It doesn't help that Arthur Smith shows complete disdain to the fans, and always comes off like he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. Right now it feels like the Falcons fan-base is starting to actively root against their own Head Coach and starting Quarterback.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:36 AM   #990
GrantDawg

The Falcon fan base also just watched a rookie in his first start torch what has been their teams pretty solid defense for 4 touchdowns. That doesn't help with their discontent of Ridde. Levis looked better than Ridder has in any game.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:44 AM   #991
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
To a person they never want to see Ridder play another snap after Sunday, and the most popular remark was "if he does start again, Smith can go too"

It's going to be funny watching Saints and Falcons fans go into the stretch run both kinda sorta wanting to win the division and go to the playoffs and kinda sorta wanting to lose to make sure their coach gets fired.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:54 AM   #992
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

God I hope not because that would mean more of the Josh Dobbs Experience, and I've experienced enough of that already,

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-30-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:04 AM   #993
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

None of that makes sense to me.

Levis is irrelevant. If someone is going to base their evaluation of their own QB on what another QB did in one game, to me they demonstrate that they shouldn't be listened to. Ridder is in the middle of his second year, a little below average so far as NFL quarterbacks go, on a team carried by it's defense, and his best options to throw the ball to are pretty much all young players also.

If you don't like the coach, don't like the coach. It doesn't make any sense to throw the quarterback in there with him. It's just way too early to say he's too turnover prone and conclude that's a permanent thing. If the idea is to justify an emotional response and/or insist on doing the best they can this year regardless of what it means for the future or whether more than a marginal playoff berth is at all reasonable, then sure - but if you're actually trying to improve the team, I think you have to give Ridder at least the rest of the year and probably next year also at a minimum to play with London, Pitts, and whoever else they might add and see what happens. He has good games and bad games right now which is what young players do.

I mean if they are really are actively rooting against the head coach and quarterback for their 4-4 team, then frankly they are behaving stupidly. Which is their right, but it's sure not to convince me that what they are doing has any merit.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-30-2023 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #994
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you don't like the coach, don't like the coach. It doesn't make any sense to throw the quarterback in there with him.

No fans really wanted this mfer in the first place, they didn't like the guy -- as a QB -- before he showed up. He's done nothing to change that, and indeed has already burned off most of his "well, maybe he'll at least be decent" patience. What there's no doubt left about is that he isn't good enough to be starting NFL games right now. Not sure why that seems so difficult for you to grasp.

Maybe we're just better / more comfortable at being able to judge talent in the South or something. It really doesn't take all that long to identify in most cases. A lot of us have been doing that for most of our lives, at multiple levels. We're extremely comfortable with it

While the Fowlcants largely appeal mostly to a much broader/lighterweight base -- I know very few serious football diehards who give a damn about them honestly -- this really isn't brain surgery.

edit to add, cause FOFC is FOFC: yes, there's a certain degree of tongue in cheek in my explanation of things. But not entirely either. Next to Texans, this is stuff probably more encoded in Southern DNA than any other. On the whole, we're not bashful about moving on from players who ain't it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-30-2023 at 09:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:45 AM   #995
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

He's doing better than a number of other quarterbacks starting NFL games, and there are HoF quarterbacks who started off their careers being turnover-prone. I'm not at all saying Ridder is that. I'm saying it's too early to tell. If you judged Burrow by the first few games of this year you wouldn't think he was any good. When Goff was traded to Detroit almost everyone said he was washed up and/or never any good to begin with. Quite a few people were really down on Tua his first year or two. Fun fact: his yards per attempt were lower and interception rate a bit higher in year two than Ridder's have been so far this season.

When somebody says 'I just know' in this type of sample size, my answer is 'no, you really don't' and I think the evidence of how many of these situations play out backs me up. Ridder might be worthless permanently as an NFL QB. That happens more often than not. It also happens that a team gives up on a player, he goes on to become a star somewhere else, and then fans who wanted him gone get mad at the team who let him go for doing exactly what they wanted done.

No question you know more about football than I do, but we have example after example of the best evaluators in the world just being flat-out wrong about players. Nobody just knows at the degree of accuracy that is totally comfortable with just being done with a player after less than a season and a half at the most demanding and important position in the sport. Again: if you have a more promising alternative on the roster, or can acquire one, that's obviously different. But they don't have that.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-30-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #996
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tua STILL gets shit, which just astounds me. Every single game and every single pass in that game is a referendum on Tua and the decision to draft him ahead of Herbert. The Dolphins subreddit game threads are just insane every week. Tua throws a pick and the Dolphins fall behind 7-0, endless comments about how Tua sucks and why they should've picked Herbert or traded him or whatever.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:13 AM   #997
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again: if you have a more promising alternative on the roster, or can acquire one, that's obviously different. But they don't have that.

I don't think anyone believes any QB on the roster is the long-term answer.
But there's a pretty solid opinion about which one provides the best chance to win week to week in 2023.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of fans would trade a 1-and-done division title this year instead of better draft position in a class that probably doesn't contain a longterm QB solution IMO.

The tricky part about the draft position is that the player 90% of Falcon fans would kill to get -- Brock Bowers -- is probably the guy they need the least.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #998
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'll be pretty shocked if the Vikings bring in anyone higher profile than maybe Colt McCoy. Give Hall the start next week and if he looks totally overwhelmed, Nick Mullens will be ready to go the following week. Not ideal but there are very few good situations for teams losing their QB for the season.

No idea what they will do at QB this offseason but this is the one way for them to potentially end up being bad enough to draft one without actively tanking.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:58 AM   #999
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yeah. The Vikes aren't a top-5 team that might should swing for the fences with a QB replacement.

Just run out the string and start the rebuild you were gonna start anyway, but with a better draft pick.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #1000
GrantDawg

No one has ever evaluated Ridder to be anything close to Joe Burrows. There is no skill set of a QB that he actually excels at. There was a reason he was a third-round pick in one of the worst QB classes ever, that means many teams with terrible QB looked at him three times and said "no thanks."